test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Temporal Recruit Event 9/08 to 10/07

Comments

• avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Honestly I wish they based AoY in the movie timeline, I very much prefer the uniforms and style of that time over the main series.
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    avoozuul wrote: »
    Honestly I wish they based AoY in the movie timeline, I very much prefer the uniforms and style of that time over the main series.
    reyan01 wrote: »

Judging by the favoritism some ship design Devs show toward TMP-era ships, I'd say they'd probably agree with you.

we all have preferences...i much prefer the ToS era interiors, and imagination they put forth in creating things like the salt shaker scanner the doc used, and so forth.

uniforms, i like. basic and to the point. TMP is ok. disco, meh. enterprise, meh.

ships are also hit and miss overall thru the trek universe. many ToS i like, many others as well, and a few make the vomit dislike scale. :)

at least we all have variety to pick ones we like and not use those we dont.

Didn't a lot of people hate the TMP uniforms? uniforms aside Spock looks great no matter what clothes he is wearing, you can put him in the worst possible outfit ever and he'll still pull it off.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,017 Community Moderator
    Didn't a lot of people hate the TMP uniforms? uniforms aside Spock looks great no matter what clothes he is wearing, you can put him in the worst possible outfit ever and he'll still pull it off.

Yea I think the actual TMP uniforms were disliked in their initial incarnation. However TMP era also includes Wrath of Khan through Undiscovered Country, which had the more naval style maroon uniforms everyone loves. And the interesting thing is, those enlisted/cadet uniforms... were recolored TMP uniforms.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    I disliked the TMP uniforms in the movie, because they were all about the beige pastels for some reason. On the other hand, I can recolor them in-game and make them look much better.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Yea I think the actual TMP uniforms were disliked in their initial incarnation. However TMP era also includes Wrath of Khan through Undiscovered Country, which had the more naval style maroon uniforms everyone loves. And the interesting thing is, those enlisted/cadet uniforms... were recolored TMP uniforms.

No Navy I ever saw had uniforms anything like the WoK uniforms, certainly no turtlenecks, and definitely not maroon.
    Spock.jpg

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,017 Community Moderator
    I didn't say that they were naval uniforms, I said naval STYLE. Kinda harkens back to the officer uniforms worn during the age of sail and pirates in a way. Pretty sure Gene Roddenberry didn't like them because they were too military like, yet they are a fan favorite.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    BTW with them updating TOS content, I hope Tarsi will stop misidentifying herself as a red shirt, when she's clearly wearing a gold uniform. "Us Redshirts must stick together"-quote Tarsi
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    I didn't say that they were naval uniforms, I said naval STYLE. Kinda harkens back to the officer uniforms worn during the age of sail and pirates in a way. Pretty sure Gene Roddenberry didn't like them because they were too military like, yet they are a fan favorite.

If Roddenberry didn't like the WoK uniforms then it would probably have been that they were heavy and uncomfortable looking when his idea was that the elitisms that tend to put things like vanity and "power looks" over comfort and function have been left behind. Especially since they are more like a class-A type uniform instead of an everyday duty uniform.

That idea of practicality and ease of movement being paramount was the reason they switched to raglan sleeves for the series itself (though they continued to use the older tunics from The Cage while they lasted for a while as well, so some extras and guests had regular jacket style sleeves through the end of the first season).

They also dropped the use of excursion jackets for TOS and went with the idea that the uniforms were made out of an "intelligent fabric" that could adjust to temperature variations to keep the wearer comfortable in near-freezing temperatures up to Death Valley heat levels and provide at least some protection in more extreme conditions.
    edited September 2021
    2 days to go, might change to 1 day in a couple of hours since it's 8:24 PM right now.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User

I'm fine with the TMP uniforms, i'm one of those who don't like the TWoK uniforms. Everyone don't love 'em.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    reyan01 wrote: »

Judging by the favoritism some ship design Devs show toward TMP-era ships, I'd say they'd probably agree with you.

we all have preferences...i much prefer the ToS era interiors, and imagination they put forth in creating things like the salt shaker scanner the doc used, and so forth.

uniforms, i like. basic and to the point. TMP is ok. disco, meh. enterprise, meh.

ships are also hit and miss overall thru the trek universe. many ToS i like, many others as well, and a few make the vomit dislike scale. :)

at least we all have variety to pick ones we like and not use those we dont.

it was actually not a salt shaker, lots of the TOS medical props were just machined bits of metal. :) Very simplistic, which always looksadvanced to me. Look at modern phones...no buttons.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    In fact, most of McCoy's medical instruments were salt shakers. While filming "The Man Trap" (a title so forgettable I had to look it up - I know it as "The Incredible Salt Vampire"), a flunky was sent to look through LA-area stores for "futuristic" salt shakers for the mess-hall scene. Unfortunately, most of the designs they found were so "futuristic" that at some point, someone would have had to have held one up and said, "And this is a salt shaker." So they just got a shaker from the studio canteen, and repurposed all those other weird things (with appropriate whirry bits attached, in some cases) as 23rd-century medical instruments.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    > @smokebailey said:
    > I'm fine with the TMP uniforms, i'm one of those who don't like the TWoK uniforms. Everyone don't love 'em.

The TMP uniforms left nothing to the imagination when it came to the male crew.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    I am not a fan of any of the spandex uniforms, TMP, TNG, DS9, etc. though they were a better fit to the times the shows were on the air than the bedazzled blue nightmares the DSC crew used to wear. For DSC to have the same trendiness they would have been better off going with the things that were trendy when the show came out (and are still fairly popular) which meant miniskirts (probably asymmetric hemline) for the women and both sexes would probably wear velvet (fashion came around full circle since TOS by 2016 as far as skirt length and velvet are concerned).
    edited September 2021
    While on the topic of badges you know what's really weird, the Delta Symbol, in TOS only the USS Enterprise crew wore those symbols as their badge, every other 23rd century federation ship crews wore different badges, it seems that in timespan between TOS and TNG everyone in Starfleet switched to using Delta badges.
    While on the topic of badges you know what's really weird, the Delta Symbol, in TOS only the USS Enterprise crew wore those symbols as their badge, every other 23rd century federation ship crews wore different badges, it seems that in timespan between TOS and TNG everyone in Starfleet switched to using Delta badges.
    That turns out not to be the case. According to a memo from Robert Justman (see below), the use of a different badge for the Exeter was an error, and the lopsided delta is supposed to be for Starfleet ship duty (as opposed to the encircled sun of starbase or groundside duty). The problem appeared to have stemmed from a costumer's misunderstanding of the uniforms worn by the crew of the Antares, which was a merchant vessel rather than a Starfleet vessel.

Justman-memo.webp
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    Talking of badges and insignia...I'll never understand why Paris didn't get a Marquis rank badge. He joined the Marquis, he just got caught. Chatokay was a full bird Commander before he resigned from Starfleet, but why on Earth Paris was made a Lieutenant straight off the bat...

I know that Paris is just Locarno, only they couldn't use the name without paying the writer of the TNG episode...but at most, he should have been an Ensign and with a Marquis pin.
    jonsills wrote: »
    In fact, most of McCoy's medical instruments were salt shakers. While filming "The Man Trap" (a title so forgettable I had to look it up - I know it as "The Incredible Salt Vampire"), a flunky was sent to look through LA-area stores for "futuristic" salt shakers for the mess-hall scene. Unfortunately, most of the designs they found were so "futuristic" that at some point, someone would have had to have held one up and said, "And this is a salt shaker." So they just got a shaker from the studio canteen, and repurposed all those other weird things (with appropriate whirry bits attached, in some cases) as 23rd-century medical instruments.

Got various images in 'art of the star trek' from 1995 showing various machined metal pieces.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    edited September 2021
    kayajay wrote: »
    Talking of badges and insignia...I'll never understand why Paris didn't get a Marquis rank badge. He joined the Marquis, he just got caught. Chatokay was a full bird Commander before he resigned from Starfleet, but why on Earth Paris was made a Lieutenant straight off the bat...

I know that Paris is just Locarno, only they couldn't use the name without paying the writer of the TNG episode...but at most, he should have been an Ensign and with a Marquis pin.

How come nobody brought up the resemblance between certain characters in universe, we know that trek reuses some of their actors, if they weren't the same person using a different name than imagine going to starfleet academy at the same time as both Nick Locarno and Tom Paris, they would have been mistaken for identitical twins, or imagine if Tuvok, Devor, T'Kar and unnamed Enterprise B Lieutenant would feel if they met.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    I'm such a moonbrain. Sigh. Made a TOSling just now, thinking recruit event started today. (Who'd have thunk they do this on a Wednesday?). Good thing someone on channel alerted me to it.

Oh well, wanted to keep a TOSling in the 23rd century anyway, just to spite Cryptic for having her leave that era when going to Earth spacedock. So, this one might as well fulfill that role.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • dragon#2626 dragon Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    kayajay wrote: »

How come nobody brought up the resemblance between certain characters in universe, we know that trek reuses some of their actors, if they weren't the same person using a different name than imagine going to starfleet academy at the same time as both Nick Locarno and Tom Paris, they would have been mistaken for identitical twins, or imagine if Tuvok, Devor, T'Kar and unnamed Enterprise B Lieutenant would feel if they met.

Regarding Locarno, there were two issues: everyone involved (McNeil included) judged him irredeemable, and they'd have had to pay royalties to the writer of "The First Duty" every time he appeared.
    I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I'm such a moonbrain. Sigh. Made a TOSling just now, thinking recruit event started today. (Who'd have thunk they do this on a Wednesday?). Good thing someone on channel alerted me to it.

Oh well, wanted to keep a TOSling in the 23rd century anyway, just to spite Cryptic for having her leave that era when going to Earth spacedock. So, this one might as well fulfill that role.

I knew it was tomorrow but I ended up making one today anyways for different reasons, I didn't want anyone stealing the name I picked, also I figured I'd perfect the sliders for my lil surprise tomorrow, didn't want to get it slightly off, I'll delete him once it starts.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    > @dragon#2626 said:
    > Regarding Locarno, there were two issues: everyone involved (McNeil included) judged him irredeemable, and they'd have had to pay royalties to the writer of "The First Duty" every time he appeared.

I’ve not seen anything credible to back up the “royalties” problem that gets mentioned.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    Berman mentioned it in an interview back then, Locarno came with too many strings attached so they cut him out and created the similar but completely in-house-sourced Paris instead.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    Is a Temporal Agent created on the last event, but was never levelled, actually going to become a Temporal Agent? Would it happen at anytime, can it only happen when the event it running and can a character created during one event, but levelled during another, etc, etc?
    edited September 2021
    Today's the big day people, all that's left is to wait until 12:30 pm EST for the event to start.
    Post edited by paradox#7391 on
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »

Got various images in 'art of the star trek' from 1995 showing various machined metal pieces.

I remembered reading the same thing as Jon, and your joint debate got me intrigued enough to look up the source.

According to "The Making of Star Trek" by Stephen E. Whitfield and Gene Roddenberry 1968 Ballantine Books pp. 176 & 187 (diagrams on intervening pages). The story is as Jonsills summarized above. To avoid copyright infringement (and carpal tunnel) from a long quote, I will leave you with the exact reference source above, rather than quoting the passage in full. However, the end of the two-page account told by Gene Roddenberry to Stephen Whitfield is:

"For two years now the majority of McCoy's instruments in Sick Bay have been a selection of exotic salt shakers, and we know they work, because we've seen them work. Not only has he saved many a life with them but it's helped keep hand prop budget costs low."
This discussion has been closed.