test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dilithium exchange...unable to sell dilithium?

djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
So, I know everyone is well aware of the problems with the dilithium exchange, but I'm hoping someone smarter with economics than me can educate me.
The last couple of days I have tried buying zen with dilithium at 500 per zen. But the offer just sits there. There are no offers listed. Is this because no one is willing to offer up zen at that price anymore? Are there simply no zen sellers right now?

On a related note, if they were to remove dilithium rewards from missions, reduce or remove dilithium from event rewards, etc would that help to balance the exchange better? It doesn't seem like occasional sinks are working.

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse. I scanned the FCTs and didn't see the dilex in the list.
C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
-Captain James T. Kirk

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,019 Community Moderator
    edited August 2021
    Right now any zen that is put up for sale is instantly snapped up. Everyone selling Dilithium for Zen is basically waiting in line for their grab.

Before the release of the Romulan Legendary pack I was still getting my daily zen from my Admiralty rotation, but it wasn't instant like when we do have Zen up. Took a few hours, usually had it by the next day. Odds are until after the hype from the Flash Sale and the Legendary pack dies down it will go back to wait a few hours for Zen.

So... just be patient. You'll get the Zen... eventually.

As for the sources for Dilithium... we may have to rely more on sinks than trying to curb sources at this point because people have gotten used to the sources and may riot. Its a tricky fine line to walk. Maybe they could reduce the amount you get from after you complete the main event and run extra days, but I don't think the mission reward DL has too much of an impact. And don't forget that characters are still only able to refine 8k a day. So unless someone's burning themselves out grinding missions to cap out every day... Mission Reward DL, IMO, is not enough to warrent attention. I'd say the attention has to be on the bulk rewards that guarantee refine cap a bit more.

I could also point out Mark to DL conversion, but that's a trade off and dependant on what the player's working on...
    Its complicated and may require data that we don't have access to.

But at the end of the day we need something people will spend Dilithium on, and something people are WILLING to spend on. We got a whole thread of people coming up with ideas.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    I don't think I had to specify spending Zen on it because we are talking Dilithium, and the Exchange has always reflected the desirability of DL or Zen based on in game events by spiking or dropping Zen prices. The more desirable Zen becomes, the higher the price was to buy Zen. The more desirable Dilithium becomes, the lower the Zen prices because people wanted more Dilithium.

So either way... Dilithium needs to be desirable. Where the Dilithium comes from isn't as much of an issue because the people who want the shiny now will more than likely open the wallet and trade Zen for Dilithium.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    I almost daily rotate my characters through Admiralty. But I don't cap them all. Too many, and would burn out. Been there done that years ago before Admiralty. But right now for me Dilithium only really has two uses, Phoenix Boxes and Zen. I'm also wishing I had something to spend all this GPL on. How many monuments do I have to build before we have a use for it?

I can't solo my fleet's colony on the Dilithium. (Yes my fleet STILL hasn't finished the colony, its on T4 right now. We're working on it... slowly.)
  • Options
    I can kinda agree on that too.
  • Options
    discojer2#5455 discojer2 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    I think dilithium is desirable, just not as much as zen

But I strongly suspect the real culprit are Jemhadar characters. Letting people skip the leveling process and basically go straight to admiralty and reputation rewards

I think the only real solution would be a daily account refining cap. Say 40,000. That would still let people get enough to buy a regular ship every 5 weeks, but is low enough to discourage farming
  • Options
    I think dilithium is desirable, just not as much as zen

But I strongly suspect the real culprit are Jemhadar characters. Letting people skip the leveling process and basically go straight to admiralty and reputation rewards

I think the only real solution would be a daily account refining cap. Say 40,000. That would still let people get enough to buy a regular ship every 5 weeks, but is low enough to discourage farming

The problem isn't the supply. Its the Demand. We need something to spend the Dilithium on after getting everything we want upgraded and all the rep gear we want, not to mention the big fleets having finished their holdings...

There comes a point where Dilithium really is ONLY used for Zen. We've got the supply, but there's no demand.
  • Options
    eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    A new fleet building could actually help to counter the issue, or a new reputation. Those are the two ideas I just came up with, besides the ideas I already posted in Kael's thread.
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • Options
    gargant#8431 gargant Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    As someone that picked the game up in May, and pretty quickly bought Zen, I don't see a ton of stuff in the dilithium store that I really want. I'm not high enough in other aspects of the game to spend a ton of dilithium yet, and so it sits. I have spent around $200 on Zen since May, and tbh the dollars to Zen exchange is a bit much. I don't see buying much more. I would be a fairly steady money source for Cryptic, but not @ $50 - 5000Z. Tried the exchange, but it isn't really an option since maybe mid-June as there is simply no Zen on there. Still learning the game so maybe there are uses for my dilithium beyond what I'm seeing, but like many other players for now it's just piling up.
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    I'm increasingly for just having it be exchanged by the game at set rate, instead of a player-to-player market. Sell Fleet Dilithium bundles for the whales still grinding at 500 per Zen rate for those still paying into their Fleets don't bolt, but set the regular dil rate to something much lower like 250/zen in either direction. Plenty of games let you buy premium things for piles of in game currency or small piles of a premium currency, so plenty of precedence there.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    tom61sto wrote: »
    I'm increasingly for just having it be exchanged by the game at set rate, instead of a player-to-player market.
    Cryptic will never do this as it would essentially be the same as giving away tons of Zen for free. The only reason the dilex exists at all is because the Zen that is put into it is first purchased by paying customers, so it allows Cryptic to give F2Pers access to paid items without sacrificing profit.
    Plenty of games let you buy premium things for piles of in game currency or small piles of a premium currency, so plenty of precedence there.
    Are any of these games ran by Cryptic Studios? If not then the precedence is nonexistent.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    I'm increasingly for just having it be exchanged by the game at set rate, instead of a player-to-player market.
    Cryptic will never do this as it would essentially be the same as giving away tons of Zen for free. The only reason the dilex exists at all is because the Zen that is put into it is first purchased by paying customers, so it allows Cryptic to give F2Pers access to paid items without sacrificing profit.
    Plenty of games let you buy premium things for piles of in game currency or small piles of a premium currency, so plenty of precedence there.
    Are any of these games ran by Cryptic Studios? If not then the precedence is nonexistent.

They're willing to giveaway a choice of Promotion ship, Lockbox ship, a large pile of Lobi, or two C-Store ships for playing through enough FOMO events this year, on top of the usual three end game ships from smaller FOMO events, so surely free-style grinding for an extra ship or pack now and then doesn't seem that far out. It might even keep metrics up for less popular events too, which seems to be already in play given how much Dilithium the Events pour out.

Cryptic has shifted it's whale-hunting from being hidden behind Zen-to-Dil-to-Fleet feeds to directly selling high-cost packs, so they're still getting money either way. Admittedly, I thought the Zen<->Dil was quite a a creative way 'monetize' grinding in the beginning, but it doesn't seem to have ever been thought of this way by Cryptic, though I'm mostly basing that on off-hand comments in Livestreams.

As for other games not being Cryptic games, that's an odd thought... I know they kinda do their own thing most of the time, but if hugely popular and successful F2P games, as well as smaller-than-STO games that still make money, have a given feature surely it'd be worth considering.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    ESO just recently added a way to buy crown crate items (all the way up to and including the toppest tier stuff) with an ingame currency...so not nonexistent anymore.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The problem isn't the supply. Its the Demand.

The problem is both. It's a very basic economic process that something with a high supply is worth less then something that is more scarce. Gold is worth more then Silver for one reason.. scarcity. When you flood the market with a currency, it devalues that currency. This isn't my opinion, it's basic economic principal.

Now, I am not calling for a total nerf on Dilithium Supply, that just angers people. But maybe slow down the events for a while that are dumping so much Dilithium into the economy. The bonus days after unlocking the prize are absolutely flooding the economy with Dilithium. When you combine that with everything Westmetals said about having nothing to spend it on, it's no wonder Dilithum is completely worthless.
    A new fleet building could actually help to counter the issue, or a new reputation. Those are the two ideas I just came up with, besides the ideas I already posted in Kael's thread.

The fleet holding idea remains, in my opinion, the worst of the ideas. Nothing but a tax on fleet leaders, and still doesn't create a re-usable and sustainable sink. We have been down that path before, it has a small impact for a short period of time, nothing more.

Reputations are not a dilithium sink, they are a source of Dilithium gain. Adding another one makes the problem worse.

Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    They're willing to giveaway a choice of Promotion ship, Lockbox ship, a large pile of Lobi, or two C-Store ships for playing through enough FOMO events this year
    And that is as far as Cryptic is likely to go with giving things like this away for free, grind out a ton of events over a full year and get one promo ship for one character or two normal ships for all characters. And they still make money off of it due to people buying out events to speed up the process.
    As for other games not being Cryptic games, that's an odd thought...
    Not really, if every popular feature from other F2P games made it's way into STO then we would have been given the ability to pay extra to account unlock lockbox items YEARS ago like SWTOR allows players to do.
    ESO just recently added a way to buy crown crate items (all the way up to and including the toppest tier stuff) with an ingame currency...so not nonexistent anymore.​​
    ESO is run by ZeniMax, NOT Cryptic Studios. If it was Neverwinter or Champions then I'd say you had a point, but a completely different company doing it means nothing at all for STO.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    You're the one who said there's no precedent for being able to buy premium items for ingame currency - I contradicted that by providing an example outside Cryptic.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    You're the one who said there's no precedent for being able to buy premium items for ingame currency - I contradicted that by providing an example outside Cryptic.​​
    I guess you didn't actually read my original statement? It said:
    As I said there, examples from outside Cryptic do not matter.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    lokharnolokharno Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    There comes a point where supply/demand economics fails though: when there is no demand at all regardless of supply. (Or no supply regardless of demand.)
    This is theoretically true, but entirely irrelevant to the real-world state of the dilithium exchange currently. Put another way: it's possible that, in the last six weeks or so, the market-clearing price for zen has risen from around 495 dil to literal infinity... but it's pretty unlikely. And it's definitely one of those extraordinary claims that calls for extraordinary evidence.

See, there's nothing at all strange about the recent behavior of the dil exchange. The price of zen has been rising gradually but steadily for years. Bid-ask spreads have rarely been more than 2. Trading has been orderly and swift, and the market cleared very nicely. Until the market-clearing price bumped into the 500 zen cap, at which point the market did exactly as expected -- it mostly froze up. That's what price caps do.

Now, we can't know exactly what the market-clearing price of zen is at the moment: a price cap breaks the price-discovery function of the market. So it's sort of understandable that people are in a bit of a panic. "What if the market clearing price has for some reason jumped to 600? Or 10,000? Or what if there is no market clearing price, and nobody will sell zen for any quantity of dilithium no matter how huge?" But that's just panic. Chill.

If the price cap weren't there, my guess is that we'd be buying and selling dil just like we have all along, for around 510. And stories explaining why "demand for dil has dropped to zero at all finite prices" are explaining something that hasn't -- as far as anyone can tell -- happened at all.

Now, we might not want the price of zen to keep rising like this. There are good reasons to want better stuff to spend dil on, a lower dil refining cap, less stuff to spend zen (directly) on, and so forth. But talk about "zero demand" is baseless.
  • Options
    megacharge07megacharge07 Member Posts: 476 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    But at the end of the day we need something people will spend Dilithium on, and something people are WILLING to spend on.

I would elaborate on this to specify "people are willing to spend Zen on". Because the real issue is a lack of people willing to convert Zen to dil, not an issue of the abundance of dilithium. (Or at least that's what it looks like to me.)

The real issue is actually a lack of people.
    tumblr_mt0cmzAQpC1rm3hhlo2_500.gif
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    The problem isn't the supply. Its the Demand.

The problem is both. It's a very basic economic process that something with a high supply is worth less then something that is more scarce. Gold is worth more then Silver for one reason.. scarcity. When you flood the market with a currency, it devalues that currency. This isn't my opinion, it's basic economic principal.

Now, I am not calling for a total nerf on Dilithium Supply, that just angers people. But maybe slow down the events for a while that are dumping so much Dilithium into the economy. The bonus days after unlocking the prize are absolutely flooding the economy with Dilithium. When you combine that with everything Westmetals said about having nothing to spend it on, it's no wonder Dilithum is completely worthless.

The fleet holding idea remains, in my opinion, the worst of the ideas. Nothing but a tax on fleet leaders, and still doesn't create a re-usable and sustainable sink. We have been down that path before, it has a small impact for a short period of time, nothing more.

Reputations are not a dilithium sink, they are a source of Dilithium gain. Adding another one makes the problem worse.

There comes a point where supply/demand economics fails though: when there is no demand at all regardless of supply. (Or no supply regardless of demand.)

In theory, that is possible. It is however, just theory because we have never hit that point.. even now. Dilithium is not completely worthless, if anything some people are saving it just in anticipation of upcoming sinks. People read the market and anyone that is reading this one still values dilithium. The people that don't think that way are mostly newer or casual players that still need dilithium.

Again though, I am not calling for Dilithium Nerfs, I believe the biggest culprit in the influx of supply is the events, what we need is a Dilithium Sink, combined with a moratorium on events for 2-4 weeks. The first scenario is possible, the latter is not so my whole point is moot. Cryptic has made it clear that holding off on events even temporarily is not on the table.
    Insert witty signature line here.
This discussion has been closed.