test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Good Old Bvat Arc

duddutcher#4834 duddutcher Member Posts: 68 Arc User
I have been playing this game now for years but the federation arcs are a bit dull compared with the klingon who get to kick some demons or romulans who get to face of against a very angry one eyed tal shiar agend.

formerly the bvat arc let me feel like i was actualy fighting off very angry klingon with a mission to keep war going on with the feds at al cost. what i also loved aboud it is that it kinda did stand alone from the main arc and that the so called real threat was jet to come ( the iconians)

i was curios if there where any other who felt the same or have totaly different idea's
if the develepers would ever happen to put it back it would ( atliest for me) be a great enrichment to the game

for all people serving the grammer police my appologies in advance ;)
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    kurtronkurtron Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    Cryptic does plan to put it back into the game once they revamp the, admittedly poor, missions that got removed.

Please stop telling everyone they're "poor", or "bad". Seriously, we get it, you don't like the old levels. Clearly lots of us think otherwise, enough so we miss them and have wanted them back since they were unnecessarily removed an embarrassingly long time ago.
  • Options
    kurtron wrote: »
    Seriously, we get it, you don't like the old levels.
    I actually enjoyed them back in the day, for what they were. Liking something doesn't mean you aren't able to recognize that it was awful.

Fair enough. But you've got to qualify why you think they were bad, because just saying 'they were bad' means literally nothing, other than you throwing your subjective opinion around like it's objective fact.
    Personally, I think the new Klingon Civil War episodes 'are bad', and in comparison think the old removed ones are great.
  • Options
    captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    I do miss having the removed missions in the game. "Hide and Seek" and "Stop the Signal" being gone is neither here, nor there. But for me everything in "The Kuvah'Magh", "Treasure Trading Station", "Task Force Hippocrates", "The Ultimate Klingon", "City on the Edge of Never" and "Past Imperfect" was fun to play. Having the Guardian of Forever in the game was cool, and some of this content had relevance for Temporal Agents from that era, honestly I had anticipated at least a couple of these old missions to be restored during their Year of Klingon.

Alas, not!
  • Options
    Well they were bad for lots of reasons

Thanks. And I do want it known, I agree they needed a serious revamp for many of those reasons.

However, I disagree completely with the decision to remove them outright. The exact same reasons applied to the Klingon Faction missions that got revamped during YoK, yet none of them were removed until the revamp was complete.
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    Honestly I didn't mind those mission, however they might come back in the AoY rerun, it might be interesting to do the mission "Past Imperfect" from a TOS Perspective.
  • Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    The pacing wasn't always on for the missions but B'vat was a decent villain. Better than J'ula by a long shot even if he didn't have new cut scenes or graphics. There was filler in the old missions but it was a different kind of filler than polished cut scenes and instantly recognizable, or highly publicized VAs. Pick your poison. One of the problems I see reintroducing missions is that some of the best moments have been poached for "better" new content. The, "Doomsday Machine" featured a Klingon song and a warrior repeating the iconic TOS scene featuring Commodore Decker with a distinct Klingon twist. It loses it's power when further variations of the same theme are replayed in a TFO and with Krog at Galorndon. Game systems are well ahead of where they were a decade ago. The writing; Not so much. There was a simplicity to the tone of the stories but my take on them was that they might have sat better in a TOS setting. If they did anything with them I wish they would dress them up as AoY content.
    Post edited by horridperson on
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    There's a thread in one of B'Vat's speeches that I hope gets picked up on in the revamp. In "The Doomsday Machine", B'Vat delivers what amounts to a classic, albeit poorly-written and -delivered, villain monologue after you've turned off the energy siphon (and K'malk has turned off the control systems). There's a bit in it, though, where B'Vat echoes, very nearly word for word, the classic Undine catchphrase: "There are no 'innocents'. There are only the strong... and the weak."

This always caught my ear because it seems at variance with Klingon culture as established in TNG and later shows, and in the game - Klingon warriors do not deliberately target non-warriors, as fighting "shopkeepers" is beneath them. I always hoped that in the end, when we finally got to kill B'Vat, his body would shimmer and turn back into an Undine...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    I have no expectations it will be, but if brought back, it would be nice to take B'vat's side of things to keep the war going
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Honestly I didn't mind those mission, however they might come back in the AoY rerun, it might be interesting to do the mission "Past Imperfect" from a TOS Perspective.

Or maybe they add unique dialog for TOS Captains, especially dealing with Captain B'Vat who was from the 23rd Century.
    I have no expectations it will be, but if brought back, it would be nice to take B'vat's side of things to keep the war going

Not possible because it would basically undo ALL story missions after that.
    jonsills wrote: »
    There's a thread in one of B'Vat's speeches that I hope gets picked up on in the revamp. In "The Doomsday Machine", B'Vat delivers what amounts to a classic, albeit poorly-written and -delivered, villain monologue after you've turned off the energy siphon (and K'malk has turned off the control systems). There's a bit in it, though, where B'Vat echoes, very nearly word for word, the classic Undine catchphrase: "There are no 'innocents'. There are only the strong... and the weak."

This always caught my ear because it seems at variance with Klingon culture as established in TNG and later shows, and in the game - Klingon warriors do not deliberately target non-warriors, as fighting "shopkeepers" is beneath them. I always hoped that in the end, when we finally got to kill B'Vat, his body would shimmer and turn back into an Undine...

What sticks in my mind though, is the duality of B'Vat that kinda makes it sound like he may have gotten extremely bitter and maybe even extremist in his old age. Captain B'Vat actually recognized that Ambassador B'Vat is his future, and wonders what would cause him to fall into such dishonor. If Ambassador B'Vat was an Undine, it doesn't exactly explain where the Planet Killer came from that he had control of, as the Undine kinda don't need it, or why B'Vat would not only take Miral Paris prisoner but take her back in time in an attempt to destroy the Federation in the past. The Undine have shown no interest in time travel. And honestly... following on the heels of exposing another Undine Infiltrator posing as a Vulcan Ambassador... eh... would feel a bit too much like overusing a plot line.

Honestly I'd like to know more about what made B'Vat go down that path, and where the Planet Killer was found.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    It could be that B'Vat was driven even further off his rocker by an Undine as a chance opportunity sideshow to its primary mission, the characteristically Undine line could be an artifact of the telepathic nudge to stir up the bats already in B'Vats belfry, sort of like what Psicorps did to Garibaldi on Babylon5.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Any missions they felt were not up to current standards or conflicted with updated story should have been moved to the "available" tab like they did with the 3 FE series. That way new players don't see them in the normal journal but people who still want to play they could.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    I honestly preferred the older style of missions, poor production values notwithstanding. Back then, my captain wasn't just playing second fiddle to characters voiced by celebrity VAs. Oh, and it didn't take me an hour to complete one [EXPLETIVE REDACTED] mission.

Sometimes, less is more. The grander STO gets, the more my character is shoved to the side, and the more exhausting it is just to get through a single mission.
  • Options
    I honestly preferred the older style of missions, poor production values notwithstanding. Back then, my captain wasn't just playing second fiddle to characters voiced by celebrity VAs. Oh, and it didn't take me an hour to complete one [EXPLETIVE REDACTED] mission.

Sometimes, less is more. The grander STO gets, the more my character is shoved to the side, and the more exhausting it is just to get through a single mission.

Something else I preferred about the older missions was the amount of enemies. I wasn't actually keeping count and this is just based on how I remember it feeling, but in older episodes it felt like I was fighting a couple dozen enemies whereas in more recent episodes it feels like hundreds. It's obviously subjective, but I prefer the former to the latter.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 341 Arc User

Something else I preferred about the older missions was the amount of enemies. I wasn't actually keeping count and this is just based on how I remember it feeling, but in older episodes it felt like I was fighting a couple dozen enemies whereas in more recent episodes it feels like hundreds. It's obviously subjective, but I prefer the former to the latter.

I believe you're right. From what I can recall, the point where it really started to get out of hand was when the Hur'q were introduced. Now, that was--kind of--justified, since they were explicitly "swarming" (though it still drove me nuts, if only because my bigger ships tended get warp core breached to death). But Cryptic seemingly forgot the specifics of the enemy, and just kept up with swarming tactics even from enemies were it didn't make sense.

It's honestly exhausting, and just feels like needless padding.
  • Options
    ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    What made me most notice the issue was with the remade Klingon missions.
    The one remade into Mars bringer of war (I think that's the title) was awful compared to the original. I loved flying around the old shipyards and fighting groups of defenders and attack shuttles. It felt like an epic attack....now, it's a number of widely spaced out frames with ships. You fly in a circle around them killing them off with no opposition. It's a shame to see such a good mission neutered that way.

Between that and being a sidekick to the current va star...well it's just not the same.
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    What sticks in my mind though, is the duality of B'Vat that kinda makes it sound like he may have gotten extremely bitter and maybe even extremist in his old age. Captain B'Vat actually recognized that Ambassador B'Vat is his future, and wonders what would cause him to fall into such dishonor. If Ambassador B'Vat was an Undine, it doesn't exactly explain where the Planet Killer came from that he had control of, as the Undine kinda don't need it, or why B'Vat would not only take Miral Paris prisoner but take her back in time in an attempt to destroy the Federation in the past. The Undine have shown no interest in time travel. And honestly... following on the heels of exposing another Undine Infiltrator posing as a Vulcan Ambassador... eh... would feel a bit too much like overusing a plot line.

Honestly I'd like to know more about what made B'Vat go down that path, and where the Planet Killer was found.

It would probably gift wrapped by Envoy.
    What made me most notice the issue was with the remade Klingon missions.
    The one remade into Mars bringer of war (I think that's the title) was awful compared to the original. I loved flying around the old shipyards and fighting groups of defenders and attack shuttles. It felt like an epic attack....now, it's a number of widely spaced out frames with ships. You fly in a circle around them killing them off with no opposition. It's a shame to see such a good mission neutered that way.

Between that and being a sidekick to the current va star...well it's just not the same.

I agree neutering the Klingons was awful, torture is a major part of their culture, regardless if it inflicted upon their prisoners or onto themselves, they're major masochists and pretty sure they torture people they throw into Rura Penthe, now they're like the feds, either you die with honor or get thrown into Rura Penthe.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    I agree neutering the Klingons was awful, torture is a major part of their culture, regardless if it inflicted upon their prisoners or onto themselves, they're major masochists and pretty sure they torture people they throw into Rura Penthe, now they're like the feds, either you die with honor or get thrown into Rura Penthe.
    Torturing people was never a major part of Klingon culture.

Yep.

Anyhow, I miss the older mars mission. Felt more like an actual raid, and the results felt more like a crippling result for Starfleet. *shrugs*
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    I agree with the last couple posts. Torture wasn't a Klingon hobby any more than it was Fed cultural pass time. It happened in both groups and there may have been increased in Klingon circles for the perceived expediency it might offer but a torturer isn't being much of a warrior. It seems more acceptable to Romulans, and even more so to the Cardassians.

• Options
    dragon#2626 dragon Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    Cryptic does plan to put it back into the game once they revamp the, admittedly poor, missions that got removed.

I'll believe that when I see it. And I disagree that the old Klingon War missions were "poor."
    I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
  • Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    Torturing people was never a major part of Klingon culture.

B'vat are you talking about?

I mean, their rites never involve torturing anyone, especially not with painsticks, and they sure don't cut themselves or others with knives for almost anything. Klingons really don't like to induce/endure pain and would never hurt anyone, right.

• Options
    @redeyedraven

Trial by ordeal as rites of passage and torture are very different. I don't think Klingons are especially effective torturers because they are simply too brutal and are equally miserable jailers because the idea of being prisoners themselves is so terrible. If Klingons have any predisposition toward violence against prisoners it is because of their perception of what being a prisoner means to them.

• Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    I don't think Klingons are especially effective torturers because they are simply too brutal and are equally miserable jailers because the idea of being prisoners themselves is so terrible.

Does 'choose your pain' ring a bell?
    Sure, that didn't seem to be a thing in canon prior to DIS, but on the other hand, aside from Rura Penthe, we never really got to witness the internal workings of a klingon prison. That klingons wouldn't make prisoners like Kirk stated in TwoK is simply wrong, and whatever kind of jailers they are, I don't think they're the gentle and hospitable kind.

I would say just being on Rura Penthe might be considered torture by most species, given the extreme environment.
  • Options
    I don't think Klingons are especially effective torturers because they are simply too brutal and are equally miserable jailers because the idea of being prisoners themselves is so terrible.

Does 'choose your pain' ring a bell?
    Sure, that didn't seem to be a thing in canon prior to DIS, but on the other hand, aside from Rura Penthe, we never really got to witness the internal workings of a klingon prison. That klingons wouldn't make prisoners like Kirk stated in TwoK is simply wrong, and whatever kind of jailers they are, I don't think they're the gentle and hospitable kind.

I would say just being on Rura Penthe might be considered torture by most species, given the extreme environment.

Yeah, DIS definitely established Klingon torture. And not as some rare/one-off thing, but something that was apparently well known, because when Tyler claims he had been a prisoner and tortured Lorca said 'no one survives Klingon torture for 7 months'. So, anyway, yeah.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    Disc deals with all sorts of excesses from one particular jailer. Both torture and TRIBBLE seem acceptable to some. Here they were trying to tell me J'mpok was a bad guy and they made that thing Chancellor. Whether season 1 of that will remain canon or not is hard to say. They can't even juggle wigs and other elements of culture consistently from season to season and already had to make their own amendments so I remain optimistically skeptical.

• Options
    By torture I meant both with painsticks and the whole chose your pain thing, the Painstick rite of passage could have easily be completed with a single agonizer booth rather than being slowly electrocuted with bunch of metal sticks.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    @paradox#7391

Running a gauntlet is a ritual and ordeal. Your peers/brothers in arms man the proverbial gates both adminstering and bearing witness to your trial. The physicality of it and enduring it makes you worthy of joining their ranks and standing with them. It's brutal but it is more of a welcome than a punishment. A pain booth is demonstrative. If there is an audience it's to make them afraid and not want to be alone and in that booth themselves. There's more at work here than sticks and booths.

This discussion has been closed.