test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Joystick Axes Suddenly Not Working

After today's (5/25/21) update, the x and y axes on my Saitek x52 are not recognized in game. All other features of the joystick (rudder, buttons, switches) are recognized in game.
Both axes test fine in Windows and the Saitek software.
I've checked the joystick.cfg and controller.cfg and they still match what I had before.
Joysticks and Xbox Gamepads are both still tagged as "On" in the configuration. I've switched them both off and back on and reloaded keybinds, but no changes.
It worked find on multiple characters yesterday, so I'm assuming it has something to do with the update.

Is anyone else experiencing this or have any ideas on how to fix this?

Comments

• Options
    norad1973norad1973 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    The same here.All switches dead.

Speedlink THUNDERSTRIKE Gamepad = No function

LOGITECH F310 Gamepad = No function

All since the update.In every other game they work.
    I played until just before the update and everything was ok.
  • Options
    kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    norad1973 wrote: »
    The same here.All switches dead.

Speedlink THUNDERSTRIKE Gamepad = No function

LOGITECH F310 Gamepad = No function

All since the update.In every other game they work.
    I played until just before the update and everything was ok.

My F310 sort of works.
    Post edited by kaithan1975 on
  • Options
    magewarrior69magewarrior69 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    I am most certainly having this issue also, I posted a message a few weeks ago regarding the lack of joystick multiple axis support that used to be available in STO! I have been a lifetime member since the first year STO came online and I am a "Disabled Veteran", I cannot play the game without my Joystick, therefore I hope that the Dev's correct this issue soonest as I don't want to get to far behind or miss out on the current event!!!!!
    Post edited by magewarrior69 on
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    [4:07]Successfully submitted ticket ID #517,097
    Bug Report: Abilities
    Joystick suddenly no longer functioning

Logged in after patch to find my simple generic USB joystick (dual analog gamepad) no longer detected whatsoever. The in-game options remain unchanged, joystick is still set to ON, Xbox joystick set to off like before, windows detects it fine and recognizes all button activity, but game does not whatsoever. Already tried restarting, toggling the options, different characters, verify game files, but nothing recognizes it whatsoever, and the joystick keybinds are still set in options too like before. Please fix joystick input detection as it worked fine before this patch.

Also my game just crashed while I was doing nothing at all, minimized, while typing this. That last patch is a disaster.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    shaddrisshaddris Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Same issue for my Thrustmaster Warthog, ticket filed. Hope they can fix this sometime soon.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Something like this happened a year about a year or two ago and even when they fixed that issue, the joystick would not bank the ship unless you set the joystick_right and Joystick_left as secondary key binds to the right of the A and D keys, further even when that was working, as of the Nov 2020 patch, if you have the inventory, map, interaction windows, etc; "open", the joystick stops responding for pitch and yaw until you close the windows also that does not address the lack of other axis support that used to be available in STO, which used to allow different axis's on a HOTAS joystick to be set as commands!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    :(
  • Options
    nerdgoosenerdgoose Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Just adding a "me too". My thumbstick on my G13 stopped working as a joystick after the patch.
  • Options
    vulcanmonkvulcanmonk Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    Adding one more...G13...it's dead Jim. Not sure if I remember how to play the game without it!
    Sacca Gavesaka, Fleet Admiral, Commanding
    BSG-Benne Gesserit Consortium
  • Options
    betsyphotog#1877 betsyphotog Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Adding mine in as well. PS4 controller connected via Bluetooth. No buttons/joysticks working at all. Worked this morning before patch.
  • Options
    daderganonumbersdaderganonumbers Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    My F310 sort of works in X mode only. In D mode, not a single button even registers.

X mode apparently can't be customised, and is therefore (in a game like this) useless.
  • Options
    rvt00rvt00 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    I am also having the same issues with F710
  • Options
    boughton151boughton151 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    I use the Extreme 3D Pro from logitech and all button were reset to default keyboard after the patch. Really hope they fix this soon because this game is not playable for me with keyboard setup. Really want to play new content, but cant in this state and the content looks to be really good.
  • Options
    maximus64maximus64 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    Same here: since yesterday patch my Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X joystick has stopped to work. I hope for a quick fix.
  • Options
    thinkera0#5554 thinkera0 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Update with more accurate info:

After ending up in an unexpected space battle situation, it turns out none of the buttons on the stick are being read. It appears that the only inputs being read are the ones that correspond to JoypadUp, JoypadDown, JoypadLeft, JoypadRight, another pov hat for which I have the joystick software sending arrow keys, and the rudder, for which I have the joystick sending movement commands via the non-STO joystick software (which I haven't used in game, but were left over from early testing and configuration of the stick).

Generally, except for the "Joypad" inputs listed above, nothing works unless unless I have it mapped (via non-STO means) to one or more keyboard keys (k "throttleadjust -.20" works). Things mapped using joystick.cfg and controller.cfg references (like BB "+STOTrayExecByTray 1 0 $$ GenSendMessage HUD_Root FireTorps" or LeftTrigger FireAll) are not working.

Thank you to STO staff for working on this and to others for letting me know I'm not alone in this!
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I agree that none of the joystick axis's or buttons that you could configure in the game previously are working at all, ever since the previous issues with the loss of joystick functionality and only a partial restoration of joystick function, I have been able to map and use the necessary buttons and even the throttle axis using my X52Pro programing software, it is not perfect but it was playable, however after 5hrs of trying yesterday I can not do so, even using the macro or advanced commands within my programing software for the X and Y axis's, if anyone is using the X45, X52, X52Pro or X56 and does not have throttle control etc:, I would be happy to share my pr0 config file, again I hope they resolve this issue soonest!!!
  • Options
    kury2kury2 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    Same here. Logitech 3D Pro. Worked fine prior to patch but still not working even after 052721 patch. No word from support yet. Reprograming my Logitech software allowed the game to be playable but barely. Will check back to see if they ever fix it. Reloaded all the software and drivers multiple times and no luck.
  • Options
    stoplayer777stoplayer777 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Yep they've gone and done it again. Been a few years now since they borked the joystick axis. Anyways something I have to resort to when Cryptic does this to the joystick is JoyToKey. It's a little app that allows you to map keys to the joystick. I map WASD to the four points of the joystick and it acts as the WASD keys. It's nowhere as smooth as the proper axis input but it gets me by.

https://joytokey.net/en/
  • Options
    mysterreousmysterreous Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Remapping my Logitech 3D Pro with the Profiler software worked for exactly one day after the patch - then they patched it again. Now my joystick might as well be a stick of wood. No buttons, no axes, no nada. There's nothing wrong with the joystick - my system picks up its input just fine. The only thing that won't read it is this game. This is not an acceptable state of affairs. It is, however, encouraging to read in the latest patch notes that the developers are hard at work on -critical- issues like making sure the vanity shield effects work on the Crossfield variant saucers. At least we can look pretty while we're hanging dead in space unable to maneuver.

I really do hope they fix this - it will be a deal-breaker for me if they don't. I'll end up just not playing it any more.
  • Options
    rvt00rvt00 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    I don't know if we are going to get a fix for this any time soon. I put in a ticket for the controller issues. This was there response.

"I'm sorry to hear that you are no longer able to use your Logitech Logitech F710 gamepad and other controllers after the previous game patch. Upon checking, I saw similar reports from other affected players, however, I regret to inform you that we don't have an available workaround for this issue. The PC version of the game does not fully support the use of controllers as the PC version is designed to be used with a keyboard. To increase visibility for the issue, or to see if other users found a workaround, I recommend posting the issue on the official bug reports forum: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/categories/gameplay-bug-reports"
  • Options
    kury2kury2 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    060921 Still not working and getting further behind since unable to run any space missions. Log on every other day to check my status and no progress at all.
  • Options
    thinkera0#5554 thinkera0 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I also got the support response that since joysticks aren't "officially supported" (their quotes, not mine) there's not much they can do. Based on my limited experience with support, it feels more like they just do some searches, first (maybe) on an internal database, then on the web, and respond with what they find. They've never told me anything I hadn't already found on the web.

Since they broke sticks I have one character who can mostly sit in place and fire who's running the event and that's about all I'm playing. Most of my chars fly pilot ships, which are brilliant with a stick and terrible by keyboard.

I'm hoping that when they get the release that broke things updated and live for consoles that they'll fix the controller issues and I can get back to actually enjoying the game again instead of slogging through the limited amount I play.
  • Options
    stoplayer777stoplayer777 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    thinkera0

Maybe, buy here's the thing. I have an Xbox One controller connected to my pc with Bluetooth.

The left thumbstick of the Xbox One controller works fine. My captain moves correctly with it, as does my ship. It's my regular joystick that's no longer responding.

And this is not the first time they broke the joystick. And they said the same thing last time "joysticks aren't "officially supported"" yet eventually they restored joystick functionality none the less.

Maybe the current programmers are not capable of fixing the thing they broke. But who knows maybe one day we'll get a pleasant surprise.

Don't hold your breath.
  • Options
    talyn#3391 talyn Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Since I have been unable to get a response that makes sense to me from ARC, thought I'd ask here. I found a link that says the issue is solved. However, it is not...as far as I can tell. I continue to have the exact same problems. All I'm getting from them when I try to inquire further is form letter that says stop sending duplicate tickets. Anyone...? Has this been resolved or not and if it has, anyone know what I'd need to do to get my Razer Tartarus functioning again?

Thanks...Daro
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Well its been over 3 weeks now and one entire event that people that use joysticks cannot do or play in and still no fix or official response from the DEV's, although Ambassador Kael did tell a friend of mine in in Facebook livestream, that he was aware of the problem and that he had taken it up the "chain" to his boss, who said he was not having this and that the joystick functionality would be restored/fixed, however still no "Joy", come on DEV's please get off the "stick"!!!!!
  • Options
    Perhaps one of the best things we can do is continue to keep the issue alive here. So...that still doesn't explain why the issue is tagged as "solved". In what manner has it been solved? Or in what manner does Arc BELIEVE they have "solved" the issue? I've spent 80.00 on the controller which made the game a gas to play and and is now effectively bricked, and I've lost count of how much real loot I've dumped into the Z store in this FTP game. You'd think there'd be a little more aggressive a customer service / tech focus on getting it resolved for us. I'd guess there's a fairly significant number of people who game with a joy stick. Hardly like we're this miniscule niche market in here.
  • Options
    And...if they've solved it, you'd think they'd make some kind of effort to alert us to the nature of the solution so we can fix it because it's blazingly obvious that simply plugging the device in and updating and reinstalling etc. isn't working. When I got my first one literally all I had to do is plug it in. Now STO doesn't recognize ANY of my programmed keybinds, let alone the thumbstud and this is a new out of the box Tartarus sent from from Razer last week. I almost feel guilty. They sent me a brand new device and it's not even their issue.
  • Options
    Are there any further updates on this...?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I believe that the messsage quoting the issue as solved was a typo and I very much agree with that, we need to keep this and other threads alive by constantly posting complaints until they get this resolved!!!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    :(