Install Arc
Options

Days of Doom part 2

2»

Comments

• Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    garaffe wrote: »
    What I never understood is why in the world do we need a huge sextuple warp core to destroy the Doomsday Machine in this TFO, when a starfleet captain in a little shuttle is enough to blow it up. Presumably the shuttle is not running on six regular warp cores lashed together with duct tape.

Actually, it wasn't a warp core at all that destroyed the original one in the episode... it was the IMPULSE ENGINES of the Constellation.

I was referring to what happens when you fail to destroy the DM by the end of the TFO, but I guess I was misremembering the cutscene. It seems it is a random Connie that kamikazes the thing. Either way, my point about the giant sextuple warp core stands.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    I meant in the original episode. Ya, the cutscene in the game has a ship flying into the DDM. My point was, why are we dropping warp cores in front of it? Impulse engines did the trick in the original episode.

No idea. Probably a minor retcon to indicate that a matter/antimatter reactor is more powerful than the fusion reactors integrated into the impulse engines.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    What I never understood is why in the world do we need a huge sextuple warp core to destroy the Doomsday Machine in this TFO, when a starfleet captain in a little shuttle is enough to blow it up. Presumably the shuttle is not running on six regular warp cores lashed together with duct tape.

Actually, it wasn't a warp core at all that destroyed the original one in the episode... it was the IMPULSE ENGINES of the Constellation.

I was referring to what happens when you fail to destroy the DM by the end of the TFO, but I guess I was misremembering the cutscene. It seems it is a random Connie that kamikazes the thing. Either way, my point about the giant sextuple warp core stands.

I meant in the original episode. Ya, the cutscene in the game has a ship flying into the DDM. My point was, why are we dropping warp cores in front of it? Impulse engines did the trick in the original episode.

Because an antimatter explosion is significantly more powerful than a simple thermonuclear explosion.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,508 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    rattler2 wrote: »

No idea. Probably a minor retcon to indicate that a matter/antimatter reactor is more powerful than the fusion reactors integrated into the impulse engines.

Because an antimatter explosion is significantly more powerful than a simple thermonuclear explosion.​​

It wasn't the power of the explosion, it was some peculiarity of a fusion explosion specifically reacting with its innards that did it.

It is a simple mistake to make I suppose considering how much the dump-the-warp-core-at-them schtick was used later on.
  • Options
    livinlifejb90#4082 livinlifejb90 Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    I've experienced this too OP. I also have issues with the cores that are supposed to slow it down. They disappear once they've been dropped in its path. with none of the core interceptor ships around to shoot it. the cores just *poof* and the machine isn't slowed, forcing the team to race to get new ones. And yeah, the star base is just indefensible.

i have only ever experienced a successful run once, and that was right after it released.
    gQytlm7.jpg
This discussion has been closed.