test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Inquiry class(Riker's ship) from Picard is coming to a promo-pack near you!

Comments

• fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    Look at the releases this year. 9 months in and ONE normal c-store release. Sure, 4 ships but they are all basicly the same ship.

A super expensive legendary pack, a Legendary ship, and everything else was lockbox/promo.

It's pretty clear they are only interested in making content for money, which is the result of the "free to play" model.

I'd much rather pay a subscription fee and get decent, available content. Say what you want about WoW, you can get everything ingame just by playing the game.

In fairness, this year is hard to use as any sort of measure of anything. California has one of the most draconian and restrictive lockdowns in place, and has some of the most idiotic policies and laws in the world, one of their newer ones apparently forcing Uber and Lyft to flee the state, as well as millions of other jobs. I don't know how much that hurts Cryptic, but I easily believe it does.

Those companies aren't forced to flee, they're forced to pay and treat their employees properly.

Fleeing is merely their reaction and made possible because exploitation remains possible elsewhere.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    reyan01 wrote: »

Funny you should mention them taking a step back to reflect on past decisions. I mean, I'd wager that they must really regret putting the Vengence Dreadnought in the Lobi store. Whilst this is completely subjective, I tend to see more Vengence Dreadnought's in-game than any other class of ship; there are always several in the Sol System and nine out of ten TFOs I participate in have at least one player using one. Hard evidence suggest its an overwhelmingly popular ship and players were obviously willing to hand over the Lobi to obtain it - and the only method of obtaining Lobi is buying Zen and opening boxes....

I have often wondered about this as well, I am sure Cryptic is probably kicking themselves over that lockbox.

Cryptic assumed that the Kelvin Timeline Enterprise would be the most desirable ship, they gambled that players would figure it's 'close enough' to a T6 Constitution Class and clamor for it. That wasn't the case and obviously, the most desirable ship was the Vengeance. I often wonder though.. if they could go back and reverse this decision.. would they? They had to still make a pretty good chunk of change off the Vengeance.. I am sure there were people that cranked box after box trying to get 900 Lobi. The percentage of players that realized that they could save a fortune and buy it on the exchange (I have purchased a Vengenace for as low as 180M) are the vast minority. I often wondered what would have made them more money.. having the Vengeance as the 'Grand Prize' or leaving it as is.

Overall, I honestly think that maybe 'as is' is best for everyone. Part of the reason the Vengeance is so popular is because of it's price to performance ratio. Had the ship been a grand prize ship it would be in that 600-700M range and probably wouldn't have been nearly as popular. As it is right now, it's probably the best bargain in STO. :wink:

Yup. The ship likely wouldn't have been as popular as it is now.

I think the Vengeance and the carrier bundle prove that stuff that allowing players to get stuff for a fixed price, really makes for the best deal for everyone.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Look at the releases this year. 9 months in and ONE normal c-store release. Sure, 4 ships but they are all basicly the same ship.

A super expensive legendary pack, a Legendary ship, and everything else was lockbox/promo.

It's pretty clear they are only interested in making content for money, which is the result of the "free to play" model.

I'd much rather pay a subscription fee and get decent, available content. Say what you want about WoW, you can get everything ingame just by playing the game.

In fairness, this year is hard to use as any sort of measure of anything. California has one of the most draconian and restrictive lockdowns in place, and has some of the most idiotic policies and laws in the world, one of their newer ones apparently forcing Uber and Lyft to flee the state, as well as millions of other jobs. I don't know how much that hurts Cryptic, but I easily believe it does.

Those companies aren't forced to flee, they're forced to pay and treat their employees properly.

Fleeing is merely their reaction and made possible because exploitation remains possible elsewhere.

Untrue, but not going to get into it here.
    edited September 2020
    Though, on the other hand, even the level of that fixed price still matters.

If using lobi, the Vengeance can be obtained by opening a couple dozen boxes or so, if including the selling of items. Let's say, about $50. Even less if you sell keys and buy it at the right time.

Mudd's store, on the other hand, seems too expensive. Prices are fixed (outside of sales, which apply to all stores and boxes) but seem to high for players. I rarely if ever see a Benthan cruiser. Even the NX-01 hasn't become more popular it seems, even though that is also a ship with much potential and a very good trait.

I still don't know why people like the Vengeance. Ugly oversized ship!

It has some nice hull materials. Five forward weapon slots are also useful.

And the large gap in the centre of the saucer that makes multiple decks clearly visible, really reminds you of how big it is. I like my ships big, I never like it when I get the impression that a ship is just a flying cannon.

Though I admit that the nacelles are oversized. The design would be even better if they could be oriented a bit backwards. That would really give it that typical cruiser look.

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited September 2020

I know it's shocking.. but other people have different opinions. :wink:

I feel the same way about the Universe.. I hate it with the fire of a thousand suns.. but ya know what? Others like it and I am glad they get to fly what they want.

Personally, I love the Vengeance.. I would fly it if it was terrible because I love it that much. But I get why people don't like it and I'm cool with that.

I tend to take the side that everyone should get to fly what they want. That's why I support the T6 Nova, I personally have no interest, but many want it and I would like to see them get it.

The Inquiry takes a whole new approach.. and that's overpricing a ship that no one wants at all. I don't think that's going to work out too well for them. :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    > @seaofsorrows said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I know it's shocking.. but other people have different opinions. :wink:
    >
    > I feel the same way about the Universe.. I hate it with the fire of a thousand suns.. but ya know what? Others like it and I am glad they get to fly what they want.
    >
    > Personally, I love the Vengeance.. I would fly it if it was terrible because I love it that much. But I get why people don't like it and I'm cool with that.
    >
    > I tend to take the side that everyone should get to fly what they want. That's why I support the T6 Nova, I personally have no interest, but many want it and I would like to see them get it.

I agree with that sentiment, I'd love for everyone to get the ships they truly wished (within reason obviously I wouldn't want for Cryptic to break the law just to give a player a ship they wanted for example the Orville from the series of the same name), even if I wouldn't personally fly that ship.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Oh I'm not saying people should not have it if they want it. I just don't see the attraction at all.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    Do you really think ppl with somtaawkhars view
    You mean the view where i criticized their decision on literally the 2nd post of the thread, and pointed out this goes against their previously established "rules" in multiple posts since then?

*jumps back to page one* Dang, sorry. Thats on me and I apologize. I misread the post Nagus was quoting. *scuffles off in shame*
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    Though, on the other hand, even the level of that fixed price still matters.

If using lobi, the Vengeance can be obtained by opening a couple dozen boxes or so, if including the selling of items. Let's say, about $50. Even less if you sell keys and buy it at the right time.

Mudd's store, on the other hand, seems too expensive. Prices are fixed (outside of sales, which apply to all stores and boxes) but seem to high for players. I rarely if ever see a Benthan cruiser. Even the NX-01 hasn't become more popular it seems, even though that is also a ship with much potential and a very good trait.

I would buy the Benthan cruiser if I could, it was my favorite of all of the ships in VOY, but Mudds is way out of my price range so I don't worry about it.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    Do you really think ppl with somtaawkhars view
    You mean the view where i criticized their decision on literally the 2nd post of the thread, and pointed out this goes against their previously established "rules" in multiple posts since then?

*jumps back to page one* Dang, sorry. Thats on me and I apologize. I misread the post Nagus was quoting. *scuffles off in shame*

Nah you read it right, he is always looking for any way he can to defend the devs...wouldn't be surprised if he edited his first comment since I've been calling him out over dev white knighting
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I don't like that this ends up being a promo ship. I like howver that it will be kitbashable with Avenger/Arbiter parts purely on principle, and because I'll definitely check it out I love that Thomas used this opportunity to add the Defiant/Sovereign/Galaxy/Intrepid skins that were added around the time of the Legendary bundles to the ship.
    More space barbie is good.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Back on the topic of the Inquiry class - I didn't manage to view much of the livesteam and a lot of what I've seen regarding this ship was via screenshot. And whilst have seen some screenshots of the ship, and a few of its weapon layout, I didn't catch anything about the BOFF layout - what specialty BOFF seats does it have?

Miracle Worker Full Spec, and I think the other is Intel? So it will almost certainly have features that some will consider desirable.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited September 2020

As I figured, KDF getting screwed in the "Year of the Klingon" and don't have access to this powerful trait or console.

They used to make gamble box consoles and traits cross faction but apparently that's over now...I love how they try to claim they want to show a faction love...put a little effort into it this pull stuff like this. They always do it...it's the Bortasque effect all over again...they put a little effort it but then TRIBBLE over the KDF then use the excuse for a few years as to why they don't show the KDF any love.

Well why should more people play the KDF when all you do is show mass favoritism for the blue? Even when you make a year of the klingon you can barely go a month without shafting them.
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    > @fleetcaptain5#1134 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Those companies aren't forced to flee, they're forced to pay and treat their employees properly.
    >
    > Fleeing is merely their reaction and made possible because exploitation remains possible elsewhere.

Completely false. It made it so you can't contract your labor out and MUST be an employee.

That's basically what I was saying... or do you think that (would-be) employees have much choice in whether they get employed or have to be self-employed?

Anyway, I'm dropping this topic.

I had hoped they'd reconsider. So a promo it is.

Great! One more reason not to spend any more money on the game.

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User

Performance players like me liked(ed) the stats. For the rest it was admiral Robocop's ship so default to get. B)

animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    Back on the topic of the Inquiry class - I didn't manage to view much of the livesteam and a lot of what I've seen regarding this ship was via screenshot. And whilst have seen some screenshots of the ship, and a few of its weapon layout, I didn't catch anything about the BOFF layout - what specialty BOFF seats does it have?

Miracle Worker Full Spec, and I think the other is Intel? So it will almost certainly have features that some will consider desirable.

Thank you! That's quite a potent combo to be honest!

Thanks for posting the link :)

Have to say, can probably kitbash something that doesn't look too bad using the three skin options.

And command cruiser thingies like weapon efficiency combined with innovation mechanics.

It's basically everything. They only forgot to add three hangar bays and a secondary deflector slot.

edited September 2020

Looks like miracle worker.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11477813-command-the-inquiry-class-battlecruiser!

Not bad at all paired with intel but from first looks it is not a gamebreaker (especialy in light of the costs). :)

If it had atract fire cruiser command Id think about it for my tank(s) but the way it is it looks just too similar to the gagarin one gets for a much better deal.
    animated.gif
    edited September 2020

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11477813-command-the-inquiry-class-battlecruiser!

Not bad at all but from first looks not a gamebreaker (especialy in light of the costs). :)

If it had atract fire cruiser command Id think about it for my tank(s) but the way it is it looks just too similar to the gagarin one gets for a much better deal.

The Boff layout isn't game breaking...but the trait is incredibly powerful and the console is insane for anything that fires from the front.

And like with the Franklin, KDF gets the shaft and wont get access...more power exclusive to Feds only.
    edited September 2020
    lianthelia wrote: »

Not bad at all but from first looks not a gamebreaker (especialy in light of the costs). :)

The Boff layout isn't game breaking...but the trait is incredibly powerful and the console is insane for anything that fires from the front.

And like with the Franklin, KDF gets the shaft and wont get access...more power exclusive to Feds only.

Yea in best cryptic fashion one is tempted to get thething for trait and console and work on from there. Then again one should wait and see. There is often a bit of a difference how effects read in bolgs compared to how they work out in practice.

Sadly the trait is locked to eptS so the whole thing mooves a bit from mere DPS towards the tank front. I got so used to eptE by now that I would not want to miss it besides HSE tanking scenarios if at all.
    animated.gif
    lianthelia wrote: »

Yea in best cryptic fashion one is tempted to get thething for trait and console and work on from there. Then again one should wait and see. There is often a bit of a difference how effects read in bolgs compared to how they work out in practice.

Sadly the trait is locked to eptS so the whole thing mooves a bit from mere DPS towards the tank front. I got so used to eptE by now that I would not want to miss it besides HSE tanking scenarios if at all.

Would be great for me since I never really enjoyed zipping around on epts...and I build a little more defensively since I I'm not too bothered by dps (I can do 50k+ in stfs where I've seen players be as low as 2k, so I'm okay). But I primarily play KDF aligned characters these days with my friends...

I'm starting to wonder if they're gonna take things like this trait, the console, and the Franklin console and put them up on Mudd's market for something insane like 10-12k zen before sale
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    This tweet is getting some 'interesting' replise :p

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    This is a bunch of $h!t. Putting a common ship that exists in-universe (Not a time traveling ship, not an alien ship, not a novelty ship) breaks the unofficial understanding with the playerbase and is a harbinger of more $h!te to come.

Nope. TRIBBLE that, and I encourage everyone else to pass this by and show Cryptic that $h!te like this is unacceptable.
    Post edited by welcome2earf on
    T93uSC8.jpg
    This is a bunch of TRIBBLE. Putting a common ship that exists in-universe (Not a time traveling ship, not an alien ship, not a novelty ship) breaks the unofficial understanding with the playerbase and is a harbinger of more sh!te to come.

Nope. TRIBBLE that, and I encourage everyone else to pass this by and show Cryptic that sh!te like this is unacceptable.

Unfortunately it wont happen...whales ares till gonna spend money and pull these ships then make billions on the exchange
  • oliverrogerr#5018 oliverrogerr Member Posts: 105 Arc User

well, that ends my hopes of this ship appearing a thematic pack, along with clothes and other ships of the show ... this type of lockbox is the worst among all other lockboxes to get a ship. what a pity.
This discussion has been closed.