test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So, new carriers? Fun with names

fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
Some helpful ideas for the swarm of carriers we are about to see, courtesy of the Royal Navy carriers of past memory. Say what you want about the Brits, we had the best ship names

Argus
Glorious
Courageous
Furious
Eagle (Good for those Roms)
Hermes
Ark Royal
Unicorn (yes, she was a real ship)
Illustrious
Formidable
Victorious
Indomitable
Implacable
Indefatigable (compulsory for any captain named Hornblower)
Colossus
Glory
Ocean
Theseus
Triumph
Venerable
Vengeance
Warrior (KDF perhaps)
Perseus
Pioneer
Majestic
Hercules
Leviathan (a personal fave)
Magnificent
Powerful
Terrible
Centaur
Albion
Bulwark

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    This T6 version is probably bigger than the T5 Atrox.

Because there's more ship, there's more of the essence of the ship.

In short, the ship is Cattier.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    USS Cattier it is.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    USS Cattier it is.

Named after my ex-sister-in-law

On a more serious note, I prefer the old USN names from the dawn of carrier-based air - Lexington, Saratoga, etc
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    USS Cattier it is.

On a more serious note, I prefer the old USN names from the dawn of carrier-based air - Lexington, Saratoga, etc

The famous battle thing is ok I guess, but lacks gravitas.

• chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    USS Cattier it is.

I named my Freighter the USS Mama Cass. She had gravitas, alright; like a small moon ;)
  • spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User

Unless it's Trafalgar!

Unless it's Trafalgar!

The Spainish King: I have a 140 gun, 4 deck first rate. The biggest ship in the world!

Britain: We have a Nelson....

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Unicorn (yes, she was a real ship)

I knew about her from Azur Lane.
    340?cb=20200401155532
    Although a bit of a cinnimon roll of a character in the anime, and a bit unsure of herself, she could hold her own in a fight when the situation called for it. I think she looked up to both Illustrious and Enterprise. Don't really remember if Hornet interacted with her much, but I could see her treating Unicorn like a little sister.

Enterprise, Hornet, Yorktown, Saratoga, Lexington...
    I think the original Connies followed that naming system too in TOS.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Pretty sure the Nimitz is still active today. USS Enterprise CVN-65 was retired, and her replacement is being built.

Interesting note... USS Enterprise CVN-65 was the longest warship afloat, and the only OTHER class of Nuclear powered carrier in the USN. She wasn't Nimitz class, and was the only member of her class.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Before the Ford though, there were only 2 classes, the more common Nimitz and the Enterprise.
  • xungnguyenxungnguyen Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    I'll just name mine the ARN(Anthromorph Republic Navy) Simba since it fits the LK/TLG theme I'm going for.

LK and TLG stand for Lion King and The Lion Guard.
    temporal_lapras__royal_flagship__by_lapry101-dbutq96.png

"Simba, you have forgotten me. You have forgotten who you are … you are my son and the one true king." (Mufasa)
    USS Cattier it is.

On the subject of dawn of carrier based air

HMS Argus was the first full length, flat deck carrier
    HMS Hermes was the first ship designed as a carrier rather than converted from another ship.
    HMS Perseus was the first carrier equipped with a steam catapult
    HMS Ocean was the first carrier to land a Jet aircraft
    HMS Triumph was the first Carrier with an angled flight deck

All those firsts and now we can't even put bloody planes and cats on two carriers.....

• foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    Caitian: U.S.S. Litter Box
    Klingon: I.K.S. Kraw'za (Crow/Raven)
    Romulan: R.R.W. Narva (Roost)
    Dominion: D.V. (whatever letters &/or numbers floats your boat)

Dang, didn't realize that with Dominion playable ships there's now already 3 designated carriers: Science (C-Store & already a fleet version), Dreadnought (lockbox & already a fleet version), & now Support (C-Store with fleet version optional).

I have yet to purchase the playable Caitian/Ferasan & have been waiting for a -30% Services Sale to do so, but ideally those are the 2 species I'd want piloting my Fed & KDF carriers if I bought them.

I only have 1 Jem'Hadar toon & wouldn't want to create another till if/when there's another long awaited recruitment event of some sort whether Dominion specific or an all encompassing recruitment for brand new toons &/or already created toons would be nice too. Do the playable Cardassians fall under Dominion too or just Fed & KDF?

I've got the 4 Romulan playables already created so not sure about what I'd do about the Rom carrier.

Dang, the more I look into these carriers & think about it I might be talking myself out of buying all of them lol not that they're not good, not great but not bad, but it just doesn't fit currently into my account.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    When they are federation, my latest names for my ships are based on the women from the apollo and space shuttle programs, like:

U.S.S. Cohen
    U.S.S. Dickson
    U.S.S. Hamilton

To name a few...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    westmetals wrote: »
    I only have 1 Jem'Hadar toon & wouldn't want to create another till if/when there's another long awaited recruitment event of some sort whether Dominion specific or an all encompassing recruitment for brand new toons &/or already created toons would be nice too. Do the playable Cardassians fall under Dominion too or just Fed & KDF?

No; Dominion only has choice of Jem'Hadar or Jem'Hadar Vanguard.

I had thought so but was pie in the sky hoping I guess, thanks for confirming.
    gaevsman wrote: »
    When they are federation, my latest names for my ships are based on the women from the apollo and space shuttle programs, like:

U.S.S. Cohen
    U.S.S. Dickson
    U.S.S. Hamilton

To name a few...

That is pretty cool!
    Or just name the Caitian one USS David Bowie.

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/davidbowie/catpeopleputtingoutthefire.html

Cat people.

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    Well of those ship names some seem too "aggressive" for the main timeline federation ships though could work as klingon or romulan names.
    edited August 2020
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Well of those ship names some seem too "aggressive" for the main timeline federation ships though could work as klingon or romulan names.

Yeah, most are for a Star Destroyer, but not for the Federation...
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    for humans or vulcans, maybe - keep in mind the carrier was built by the caitians, and they may favor more aggressive names, as would tellarite or andorian captains who can potentially submit rename requests to starfleet command​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited August 2020
    for humans or vulcans, maybe - keep in mind the carrier was built by the caitians, and they may favor more aggressive names, as would tellarite or andorian captains who can potentially submit rename requests to starfleet command​​

Yeah.. i guess... but for Tellarites, it would be more of "U.S.S. Your ship is a toilet" or some kind of insult, andorians, well, for the little we know, they use famous ships, hence the Kumari, i have no information of catians.. :lol:
    I can still see humans using historical names. I mean they had a Galaxy class named after Yamato, which was the flagship of the Imperial Japanese Navy in WW2. Odds are they also had a Bismarck somewhere. I would not be surprised if they had ships named after British carriers as well.
    edited August 2020
    Also - Akagi and Hornet not only both cropped up, they were in the same episode. (the WWII versions fought on opposite sides at Midway.)

Yup. I was a fan of the old movie Midway, and I did a couple reports in school on the battle. Hell... my Disco character, after I got a Disco Connie, is flying the USS Hornet and I treat her as one of Enterprise's sister ships.
    If I remember correctly, the 7 carriers that were involved at Midway were:
    • Hiru (Destroyed)
    • Soryu (Destroyed)
    • Akagi (Crippled by Enterprise Dive Bombers, scuttled by IJN to prevent capture)
    • Kaga (Destroyed)
    • Enterprise (Would basically win the war, earned most awards, and earned nickname Gray Ghost)
    • Hornet
    • Yorktown (came in crippled, later sunk by IJN sub, compounding damage suffered at Midway)
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Also - Akagi and Hornet not only both cropped up, they were in the same episode. (the WWII versions fought on opposite sides at Midway.)

Yup. I was a fan of the old movie Midway, and I did a couple reports in school on the battle. Hell... my Disco character, after I got a Disco Connie, is flying the USS Hornet and I treat her as one of Enterprise's sister ships.
    If I remember correctly, the 7 carriers that were involved at Midway were:
    • Hiru (Destroyed)
    • Soryu (Destroyed)
    • Akagi (Crippled by Enterprise Dive Bombers, scuttled by IJN to prevent capture)
    • Kaga (Destroyed)
    • Enterprise (Would basically win the war, earned most awards, and earned nickname Gray Ghost)
    • Hornet
    • Yorktown (came in crippled, later sunk by IJN sub, compounding damage suffered at Midway)

Britain had 3 armoured fleet carriers in the pacific, immune to kamikaze attacks.

I always found the differences in American, Japanese and British carriers fascinating. American philosophy was to hit the enemy carriers before they could hit their own (worked well at Midway). The British view was that the carrier was going to get hit sooner or later so we built the hanger decks like an armoured magazine and flight deck like an armoured hull.

A forgotten aspect of the pacific theatre was the close co-operation between the British and Americans. British carrier based Seafires flew CAP for the Americans as the Seafire had a better ceiling and performance to the hellcats and corsairs.
This discussion has been closed.