What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So, new carriers? Fun with names

13»

Comments

• redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    nixie50 wrote: »
    if not for that she would have made it to Luftwaffe air cover and may have possibly changed the war

She would have lived to fight another day, sure. She was still but one ship however, and the maritime battles on the western front were not the only losing battle of Germany during WWII.

Losses were stacking on all fronts, and history's lesson is that: You can have impressive tech for your time, you can turn poverty into some impressive industrial power to arm quickly, but, when others start to gang up on you, you will still lose.

But, while we're at it:

How about a klingon ship called IKS Bih'Smark?
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    And the historical insight is appreciated; thank you.

Returning to the intention of this thread: Aigaion would be a completely understandable name for one of the Vanguard carriers. Note that the original was nicknamed 'Great Shadow'... which could fit here if you apply, say, the Section 31 vanity shield.
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    nixie50 wrote: »
    the funny/sad thing is Bismarck would have never been caught except an antiquated, obsolete bi plane got a very lucky hit on the rudder. if not for that she would have made it to Luftwaffe air cover and may have possibly changed the war

Not really, she'd of just been blockaded and eventualy taken out like her sister, Tirpitz.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    @darkbladejk @wingedhussar#7584 yeah this thread went off the rails and over the side of the mountain. too many wannabe historians with revisionist history...
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,713 Community Moderator
    Guys, get this back to the ship names. If we want to debate history of various ships and such we can do so in other threads. Otherwise keep it related to in game ship names.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    I saw the USS Mothership today.

Too bad we can't rename our shuttles / hangar craft to something like 'kittens'.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    Fedside, my cat carrier is going to be the Lioness.

KDF: jev qIp'a'mey, "Storm of Great Blows"

Rom: Susse-thrai. Literally, it's "female thrai", a thrai being an animal of similar appearance and temperament to a wolverine. It's an affectionate term for a powerful older woman who brooks no BS.

Dominion: Random, because Dominion ships have numbers.

My co-head of the Catoena Rihan language group went a completely different direction and called his Rom carrier Ghanir Lhhear. ("Big Balls")
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    I think "pride" might work as name for the kitty bus, as it can mean both something to be proud of but also a group of lions.
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    @darkbladejk @wingedhussar#7584 yeah this thread went off the rails and over the side of the mountain. too many wannabe historians with revisionist history...

To be fair, some of us are actual historians... or at least, my college degree says so... (B.A., double major in American & European History, University of California (Riverside), 1999)

But yeah... does anyone know/remember if Constellation is one of the STO-blocked names? I remember that ship from my childhood (it was home-ported in San Diego in my elementary school years).

I also might name some of these carriers after some of the Omega-class Destroyers from B5, as those were also battle-carriers. STO doesn't seem to 'get', mechanically, the idea of carriers as a standoff platform, the way they were/are usually used in the 20th/21st centuries, so fictional star-carrier names almost seem more appropriate anyway...

I loved that show. On that note, you could go with the BSG Battlestars Acropolis, Atlanta, Columbia, Pacifica, Pegasus, Rycon and Triton.

Then we have my personal fave from my youth, the Wing Commander series of games. Notable carriers where:

Bengal Class: Tiger's Claw, Trafalgar, Wolfhound, Eagle's Talon, Vanguard
    Confederation class: Olympus, Concordia
    Ranger class: Victory

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    Seeing that Klingon translation page, i am tempted to make a Fed klingon character, stick him/her on a Kitty carrier and name the vessel the klingon counterpart of Litter Box
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Then we have my personal fave from my youth, the Wing Commander series of games. Notable carriers where:

Bengal Class: Tiger's Claw, Trafalgar, Wolfhound, Eagle's Talon, Vanguard
    Confederation class: Olympus, Concordia
    Ranger class: Victory

Don't forget:
    Concordia Class: Lexington
    Durango Class: Intrepid
    Vesuvius Class: Vesuvius, Mt. St. Helens
    Midway Class: Midway

And if you wanted to get into at least one of the books:
    Bhankara Class: Karga/Moljnir (former Kilrathi, salvaged by the Free Republic of Landrich after the war)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • imadude3imadude3 Member Posts: 825 Arc User
    if i do buy one of them, i will name it RRW Yi Sun-Sin, in honor of the most badass admiral of all time (in my opinion anyways)
    Maintaining peace through overwhelming firepower.
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    Seeing that Klingon translation page, i am tempted to make a Fed klingon character, stick him/her on a Kitty carrier and name the vessel the klingon counterpart of Litter Box

mIw'a'vam law' ghot HoSchoH
    (Box that is the toilet for cat fecal matter)
This discussion has been closed.