2»

Comments

• starshine#7408 starshine Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    In the show, Romulans
    In the game, Andorians
    TOS>LDS>DSC>VOY>DS9>PRO>ENT>TNG>PIC

Bring the Enterprise XCV-330 to STO
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    Remans are first followed by Romulans in second and Lukari coming in as a close third.
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    To me, all races are the same, seeded by the Progenitors, circumventing natural evolution-- Wait, wait. Keenser is my favourite. I forgot about him.
  • diocletian#7546 diocletian Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    For me it is Tellarites and Cardassians. I have three Tellarite characters and one Cardassian. My main character is a TOS Tellarite.

For Tellarites I prefer the look from Enterprise over TOS and Discovery. I think STO does a good job with the Enterprise Tellarite look.
  • smi3thsmi3th Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    My favourite race to play has to be Ferasans and Caitians. The extra jump height isn't really very useful tactically, but it is a lot of fun to be able to jump up on things. And the pounce ability is very handy, especially if you are playing a character with kit abilities that give exposes.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    I am curious, is it possible to mix Caitian features with human to produce something like the "cat girls" (which apparently are the Kelvin version of Caitians) that Kirk was with in that Kelvin movie?
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    I am curious, is it possible to mix Caitian features with human to produce something like the "cat girls" (which apparently are the Kelvin version of Caitians) that Kirk was with in that Kelvin movie?

Only with Tailor Hax. You can get something kinda like that with an Alien using certain ears and hiding all but the tips of the ears with hair, but not with the actual Caitian ears and tail as those are specific to Caitians. In fact... the ONLY species to have tails are Caitians and Ferasans. Aliens don't have access to tails at all.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > I am curious, is it possible to mix Caitian features with human to produce something like the "cat girls" (which apparently are the Kelvin version of Caitians) that Kirk was with in that Kelvin movie?

You mean the 'cat girls' that have absolutely no feline features at all? It'd be just as accurate to call them KT's Benzites xD
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    edited July 2020
    angrytarg wrote: »
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > I am curious, is it possible to mix Caitian features with human to produce something like the "cat girls" (which apparently are the Kelvin version of Caitians) that Kirk was with in that Kelvin movie?

You mean the 'cat girls' that have absolutely no feline features at all? It'd be just as accurate to call them KT's Benzites xD

I looked up some screencaps and makeup photographs and I see what you mean.

In the movie itself they are seen only briefly in bad lighting and odd angles so the eyes are impossible to see clearly so they could have been vertical slits, and the lower ear structure looks like it could be the inside of a cat's ear with if the main part of the ear blended into the hair, but the stills clearly show that is not the case. The tufted lion-like tail is the only really catlike thing, though I suppose the body paint could have been an attempt to suggest a short fur across the forehead and parts of the body even though it looks more lizard-scale pattern in clear light.

Nevertheless, even though they are not anthros like the prime universe ones, they are identified as Caitians in the script and Damon Lindelof confirms that they wrote them as Caitians but did not have control over what the makeup people did, it was Abrams who approved the weird looks.

So apparently the Kelvin timeline Caitians are not the same race as the prime universe ones, though it is possible they have two somewhat related species on the same planet and "Caitian" refers to both species like with the Xindi.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    If I'd had to pick based on the series, I'd probably say: Vulcans and Andorians.

In STO, Caitians.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    I've also grown to like Cardassians a bit more. They had some of the best actors and the Dominion War and its effects on their society provides an interesting background story for creating characters in STO.

Besides those species, I can appreciate the Voth for how advanced they are. I have three Voth-aliens, two of them are scientists who ended up in Federation space while studying a Dyson sphere (way before STO's timeline, which I generally dislike and make adaptations to, to allow for some more unique background stories), one of them a former official.

I wish STO would do a bit more with all these species and their societies in general, story-wise.

We get many episodes and TFO's that, ultimately, revolve around politics, alliances and armed conflict, but not so much content that really looks at how Trek's societies are developing.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    We get many episodes and TFO's that, ultimately, revolve around politics, alliances and armed conflict, but not so much content that really looks at how Trek's societies are developing.

I think they tried to do that a bit with the Kobali, but most people seem to want to side with the Vaadwaur in that case. With the Romulans, we have some development thanks to the rise of the Republic, but some people still wish to side with the Star Empire. They've done a little bit with the Cardassians too during ViL.

Ultimately the problem with most societal development stories is that someone will find something to complain about because they want more pew pew. The Deferi flopped because people felt their philosophy of Balance, while a potential legit idea fora Trek species, means that they're willing to let themselves die out or be destroyed if it preserves The Balance. The Lukari, on the other hand, seem to have been more welcomed in terms of a society in STO.
    And right now we have some SERIOUS societal events happening with the Klingon Civil War. Yes its more armed conflict, but we are talking Klingons here.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

I think they tried with the Romulans, we have some development thanks to the rise of the Republic, but some people still wish to side with the Star Empire.
    The problem with the republic is that they don't act or feel like real romulans, the romulans are suppose to be different than the happy go lucky federation, we love that cloak and daggers appeal we grew up with, romulans are suppose to be secretive, deceptive, vengeful, paranoid, backstabbing but also somewhat honorable, I don't mind using thalaran weapons on my enemies while drunk off of romulan ale, I know what it means to be romulan, the question is does D'Tan know what it means to be romulan?
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    Tribbles. Tribbles with freaking lazers growing from their heads....
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor

I think they tried with the Romulans, we have some development thanks to the rise of the Republic, but some people still wish to side with the Star Empire.
    The problem with the republic is that they don't act or feel like real romulans, the romulans are suppose to be different than the happy go lucky federation, we love that cloak and daggers appeal we grew up with, romulans are suppose to be secretive, deceptive, vengeful, paranoid, backstabbing but also somewhat honorable, I don't mind using thalaran weapons on my enemies while drunk off of romulan ale, I know what it means to be romulan, the question is does D'Tan know what it means to be romulan?

The Romulan Republic does not feel like the TNG Romulans, true, but they do feel like a return to the TOS Romulans. In TOS the Romulan society was in flux, an analogy to the very early days of the Roman Empire when it still had vestiges of the Republic and the old ways clashed with the new to some extent (at least in the Hollywood view of ancient history anyway). In TOS they were ruthlessly expedient because as Joanne Linville's character pointed out the Romulans were poor compared to the other major powers and could not afford to indulge in moral gestures.

The TOS Romulans would make a very interesting TV series if CBS could handle the nuanced deep writing it would require (considering DSC and PIC I have serious doubts they could unless they gave it to a new team that is independent of the current CBS Trek production people all the way from top to bottom but that is beside the point).

By the time of TNG Romulan society had completed that transition and what was reluctantly done out of necessity in the earlier era became simply the way they did things every day, even as they got more prosperous, more or less like the Hollywood idea of the late Roman imperial era.

My first Trek was TOS so the Republic feels sort of like coming home

I think they tried to do that a bit with the Kobali, but most people seem to want to side with the Vaadwaur in that case. With the Romulans, we have some development thanks to the rise of the Republic, but some people still wish to side with the Star Empire. They've done a little bit with the Cardassians too during ViL.

Ultimately the problem with most societal development stories is that someone will find something to complain about because they want more pew pew. The Deferi flopped because people felt their philosophy of Balance, while a potential legit idea fora Trek species, means that they're willing to let themselves die out or be destroyed if it preserves The Balance. The Lukari, on the other hand, seem to have been more welcomed in terms of a society in STO.
    And right now we have some SERIOUS societal events happening with the Klingon Civil War. Yes its more armed conflict, but we are talking Klingons here.

True, though sometimes it is more about awkward focus than pew-pew potential. The Kobali were mostly lackluster in STO and lost in the flood of other Delta aliens, possibly because they were designed as contrast characters in the show but just another NPC faction without much to distinguish them from the others in the game. And the Kim stuff (which did have the contrast) was marred by timewaster puzzles like the maze that isolated the drama parts and drained all sense of tension. While it was supposed to be the Kobali arc it actually focused more on the Vaadwaur and reduced the Kobali to victims for the most part.

They do have character potential though, in fact I have a Kobali character in the game because the human quirk of a high chance of Kyn'steya puts them between societies which can be an interesting (if often uncomfortable) vantage point to explore from.

The Romulans are a kind of spectrum, rather than a simple black-and-white Romulan Star Empire/Romulan Republic split. I have a few Imperial ones who have a working though sometimes uneasy relationship with the Republic due to some differences in outlook and goals, but no love for Sela or Hakeev either for instance. RSE characters do not necessarily have to evil or whatever.

The Deferi are too cardboard, a sort of fatalistic one trick pony that gets repetitive very quickly. If their Balance was more nuanced it could be interesting, but it just isn't.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    you literally just described the majority of the republic's current population - they defected enmasse after seeing the writing on the wall, but they have little love for d'tan's idealism, they're just following the power

that ex-tal'shiar intelligence women from the delta rising arc literally says as much when you question her about personal details and her rivalry with jarok, and it was also brought up in one of cryptic's recent story blogs​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    True, though sometimes it is more about awkward focus than pew-pew potential. The Kobali were mostly lackluster in STO and lost in the flood of other Delta aliens, possibly because they were designed as contrast characters in the show but just another NPC faction without much to distinguish them from the others in the game. And the Kim stuff (which did have the contrast) was marred by timewaster puzzles like the maze that isolated the drama parts and drained all sense of tension. While it was supposed to be the Kobali arc it actually focused more on the Vaadwaur and reduced the Kobali to victims for the most part.

I actually met some people who would rather have the choice of attacking the Kobali for some reason rather than helping them. And it feels more like they just outright hate the Kobali for some reason or another, as if they are some kind of evil that must be purged.

I actually met some people who would rather have the choice of attacking the Kobali for some reason rather than helping them. And it feels more like they just outright hate the Kobali for some reason or another, as if they are some kind of evil that must be purged.

I have noticed that too. I think it is some buried atavistic horror of "undead" manifesting as anger or ill-will even though Kobali are not vampires or zombies or whatever. Also it could be the change, a lot of horror sci-fi has that kind of morphing into an alien stuff in it.

When writing my post, I thought of the Romulans as a notable exception indeed.

That content is rather old though. And Romulans were already quite well developed culturally, Klingons are perhaps even more so. It'd be nice if some of the other species could get a similar amount of attention.

• warpcore#6887 warpcore Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    Humans for feds ( as we don’t want “ pointy ear bar$£@&5 “ running the federation :p )
    Aliens for all other factions ( especially as i don’t want Klingons in charge and another Klingon war.. again)
    "One of the advantages of being a Captain is being able to ask for advice without necessarily having to take it."....... James T. Kirk
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    Not me, the Kobali are pretty cool in my book, I love how they are able to create more Kobali by raising the dead, if any delta races deserves to be shot it's the Talaxians, they're annoying, lazy and a waste of time.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    I don't know what it is about Trill but... I like Trill.
    (mostly female Trill.)

It's the spots. They go all the way down. ;)

To Admiral Quinns office please. >:)
  • mez83mez83 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    I have to go with Klingons. My main character is a Fed Klingon who looks up to Worf for inspiration. My KDF character is essentially my main character if she had remained in the empire.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Humans for feds ( as we don’t want “ pointy ear bar$£@&5 “ running the federation :p )
    Aliens for all other factions ( especially as i don’t want Klingons in charge and another Klingon war.. again)
    You mean like Vulcans? :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • warpcore#6887 warpcore Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    You mean like Vulcans? :p

Yep “How can their green blood of theirs be so cold ?“..... :D
    "One of the advantages of being a Captain is being able to ask for advice without necessarily having to take it."....... James T. Kirk
This discussion has been closed.