test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What's your favourite 'bad' Trek?

chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
Star Trek's been around for over 50 years, over 30 seasons, and into the double-digits in movies. They aren't all gonna be winners. But because it's Trek, there's usually still something in the bad stuff that's great.

While we're all waiting for new Trek to come out, what are your favourite moments from bad Trek?

Star Trek V is poorly rated by Shatner himself. But I really like it. I think it was a great challenge to religious and other ideological fanaticism. Plus, "what does god need with a starship?" is, to me, one of the most Trek lines ever - challenge everything, never takes things at face value.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYW_lPlekiQ

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    I have a feeling ST5 will take the cake every time. Honestly... I rate ST5 above Nemesis.

Also... I like Insurrection. Some people say Insurrection is bad and compare it to First Contact, which they say was the best TNG film. Honestly... I liked Insurrection because it was a contrast to First Contact. It was a bit less of an action/horror (movie Borg scared the hell outa me) and more action with some humor to break the tension... and a MORAL issue. Something to make you think about who really was in the right. And while some diehards may mention Picard was not against moving a population before... you gotta consider the years between that episode of TNG and Insurrection.

Honestly... Insurrection was a bit of fresh air after the dark setting First Contact had. Kinda felt like an episode of TNG.
    *shudders as the Borg STILL scare me a bit*

I will nitpick one thing though... Insurrection did get one thing wrong.
    Troi saying she had never kissed Riker with a beard before. She did in TNG at least once.
    "I kiss you and you say yuck?" *door closes in his face*
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    Hard agree, Insurrection was really interesting. It felt like it could be an episode, didn't feel like a big plot movie - and I think that worked really well for the moral issue at hand.

Nemesis... man I wish that was seen better. I really enjoyed it. It was great seeing the wedding, expanding Romulan lore, seeing how dark Picard himself could've been in different circumstances.

I know people say Data deserved better. But I think that was a beautiful, caring way to go. And I like how the new show closed that without taking away from his sacrifice.

Also, a dune buggy fight at 'dangerous velocities' was so much fun to watch!
  • Options
    I do agree that they did expand on the Romulans... but if you actually look at Nemesis... its basically a rehash of Undiscovered Country for the most part. Could have done without Shinzon though.
    You have a super ship that can fire while cloaked in TUC. Nemesis one ups that with fire while cloaked, shielded, AND planet killer.
    You have a previously antagonistic power with the Klingons in TUC. Nemesis its the Romulans.
    Both were the last voyage of the Enterprise with the crews we know of those eras. Ent-E had more adventures, but Ent-A was decomissioned.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    Good points. I still enjoyed it, but you're right there's a lot of similarity.
  • Options
    guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    My guilty pleasure is "Move Along Home" of DS9. I don't know why, but I like this episode. It's silly, and with an interesting plot twist at the end.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    "Move Along Home" actually does take more heat than it deserves, it was a silly episode but not really worse than some of the others that tried to be more serious. At least it was not a total immersion-breaking bit of silly nonsense like "Great Vegetable Rebellion" from Lost in Space was.
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    chipg7 wrote: »
    Good points. I still enjoyed it, but you're right there's a lot of similarity.

One of the important differences between the two movies was the plot itself.

Secretive factions of the Starfleet (such as the admiral who was Kirk's friend and immediate superior officer, played by the same actor who played Sisco's father) and the KDF plot to continue the war that defined them for the Undiscovered Country, the other had a coup that almost resulted in the destruction of Federation.

If there's a movie with similarities, if not outright copy-paste, it would be the first Mission Impossible movie.
  • Options
    One of the important differences between the two movies was the plot itself.

Secretive factions of the Starfleet (such as the admiral who was Kirk's friend and immediate superior officer, played by the same actor who played Sisco's father) and the KDF plot to continue the war that defined them for the Undiscovered Country, the other had a coup that almost resulted in the destruction of Federation.

True. And if you look at TUC sideways enough, you could retroactively say it was a Section 31 op, working with elements of the Empire to push for war, and working with elements of the Romulan Star Empire as well to weaken the Klingon Empire, since the Romulan Ambassador was involved as well. Honestly the whole thing stinks of Section 31 playing both sides against the middle. And Kirk was a monkey wrench thrown into the works.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I'm going to go out on a limb here..... I'm going to choose the relatively recent Short Trek "The Trouble with Edward"

Okay, it wasn't a great story and I'm not going to argue otherwise. However, I did enjoy seeing an imperfect crew interacting with a new (and thus imperfect herself) Captain who was basically out of her depth. Every single Trek show we've had has been about a crew of 'the Best & Brightest'. People who work extremely well together, who consider themselves to be a 'family'. People who usually have, or are able to find, the solution to whatever is thrown at them. And (aside from DS9) they're generally flying around in a state-of-the-art, or at the very least extremely well regarded, Starship.

This Short Trek was NONE of that. It was a older, run-of-the-mill, ship on a routine assignment with a crew of apparently average officers and a wet-behind-the-ears Captain who, whilst confident, turned out to lack the experience to support that confidence. I LIKED that. Seriously - when have we ever really seen a newly minted Captain step straight into their first Command? Almost all the series Captain's (Archer and Janeway being possible exceptions) already had wealth of command experience under the belts by the time their series started.

Anyway - again, whilst the story was weak I did enjoy seeing a normal crew in an older ship on a routine mission.

Also, Rosa Salazar is stunning.

According to throwaway dialog Janeway got her first command (no name or class was mentioned unfortunately) on or around 2356 which would have made her twenty-eight at the time (again, according to dialog that set her birth year as 2328, and ignoring the obviously erroneous okudagram that put her age at 27 at the start of the series, which, if it was correct would have meant she got her first command when she was twelve years old).

In TOS older ships with less capable crews were mentioned from time to time, like the one captured by the 20th century Romans.

In a way the Enterprise itself technically fits part of the description. She wasn't new, but instead a twenty year old fast armored battlecruiser with a "hard luck" reputation of inevitably finding dire trouble in the most innocuous places and limping back to base victorious, if badly battered. Giving it to the popular but rough-on-ships loose cannon captain Kirk was probably as much a way to kill two birds with one stone as anything else, that either they would do great things together or kill each other. The difference is that Kirk was very competent in his unconventional way and had a knack for surrounding himself with other very inventive competent people.
  • Options
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I'm going to go out on a limb here..... I'm going to choose the relatively recent Short Trek "The Trouble with Edward"
    I just enjoy the Short Treks in general. I think it's cool that they're playing with lots of options - filling in extra story for Discovery, but also having both fun and silly episodes that play with what we have available in Trek.

50+ years of universe, there's a lot we don't get to see. How many times did Picard have to go in and clean up other captains' messes, right? This one specifically was about a failed command, which is interesting to see for once.

Also, the tribble cereal commercial XD
  • Options
    I think my favorite "bad" Trek would have to be Star Trek Beyond. While it has the painfully stupid technological gaffs and a nonsensical, shallow, action based plot they finally got the characterizations to be that rather than caricatures for the most part, and adding in Jaylah as a sort of lampshade was a brilliant idea. Overall I think it is the best of an overall abysmal series of movies.
  • Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    My favourite Treks which are considered bad most of the time...

1. ST V

Say what you want, Shatner is not a genius writer, but he did have some balls to make that movie happen. It was no masterpiece, but the movie has a lighthearted tone and very entertaining moments.

2. the JJ-movies

The sandwich with the best bread and mediocre meat. 2009 was perfectly fine for what it tried to be, and Beyond is actually decent if you can forgive some very silly action-scenes in the second half.

3. TNG: Parallels

Priceless.
    Some people say it's one of the worst episodes of TNG, but
    ... some Geordi dies because some Worf had other keybinds for 'Call of Phaser' than another Worf, complete with Picard's facial expression of WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU SMOKING TODAY MR WORF
    ... some Wesley obliterates some Riker.
    ... so many wtf-moments.
  • Options
    valoreah wrote: »
    Star Trek V gave us this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2ftCitvyQ

How bad can it really be? ;)

And so he went on, climbing and unclimbing many mountains more...

:D
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    it also gave us this, the best exchange in all of star trek - there is literally none better in the entire series
    "It's a song, you green-blooded... Vulcan. You sing it. The words aren't important. What's important is that you have a good time singing it."
    "Oh, I am sorry, doctor. Were we having a good time?"
    "God, I liked him better before he died!"
    ​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    ST5, Early TNG (I liked it), Nemesis, TOS season 3.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    2. the JJ-movies

The sandwich with the best bread and mediocre meat. 2009 was perfectly fine for what it tried to be, and Beyond is actually decent if you can forgive some very silly action-scenes in the second half.

I will give Into Darkness credit for not trying to copy Space Seed or Wrath of Khan (which would have made no sense as they had never met yet in the KT). Probably could have done without the Wrath of Khan 2 Electric Boogaloo reverse death scene in Engineering, but other than that it was a very interesting take on meeting Khan for the first time. Khan wasn't motivated by revenge against Kirk, he was motivated by his desire to save his own crew. While they could have explained why Khan looks different than he did in movie rather than rely on a comic to do it, Cumberbatch pulled it off rather well.
  • Options
    olbuzzardolbuzzard Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    IMO... The Final Frontier (ST 5 ) had to be the worst of all time ...
    Several reasons ... but at the top of the list was the " cat woman" at that bar !
    OlBuzzardSig2017CCSML.jpg
  • Options
    jake477jake477 Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    Early TNG. The music was corny electronic 80s, the Enterprise bridge looked tacky with the brown wood paneling and Data wasn't really the Data we came to know and love. Geordi was a wise cracking loud mouth and Worf was lame.

It got better in Season 2 by far but Season 1 TNG was awkward and very cringe-worthy yet compared to early seasons of Voyager and Discovery, Early TNG is awesome in its own way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    rattler2 wrote: »
    2. the JJ-movies

I will give Into Darkness credit for not trying to copy Space Seed or Wrath of Khan (which would have made no sense as they had never met yet in the KT). Probably could have done without the Wrath of Khan 2 Electric Boogaloo reverse death scene in Engineering, but other than that it was a very interesting take on meeting Khan for the first time. Khan wasn't motivated by revenge against Kirk, he was motivated by his desire to save his own crew. While they could have explained why Khan looks different than he did in movie rather than rely on a comic to do it, Cumberbatch pulled it off rather well.

The reason the "Into Darkness" Khan looks so different from the the TOS/Movie era one probably has something to do with their original idea of doing "Where No Man Has Gone Before" as their begin-at-the-beginning entry into the TOS timeframe. They dumped the idea after they already had things started (like casting) because it just did not have enough bold action movie opportunities in it no matter how they rewrote the script. With time running out they decided to play it safe and switch to the proven favorite villain.

That abrupt change of plan is visible in the casting, so while Benedict Cumberbatch is an odd choice for Khan he is perfect for the part of Gary Mitchell. Another example is Allice Eve, the actress who plays "Carol Marcus", she looks far more like Sally Kellerman (the actress who originally played Dr. Elizabeth Dehner) than she does Bibi Besch, and she even has her hair cut and styled for the Dehner part.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    2. the JJ-movies

I will give Into Darkness credit for not trying to copy Space Seed or Wrath of Khan (which would have made no sense as they had never met yet in the KT).

I don't dislike ID, but it has issues that make it less than the sum of its parts.

It turns the things it recycles on its head, which is good.

Though perfectly watchable, everything that happens next kinda tries to top what happened before in quick succession. If ID was a book, it feels like instead of reading it you get the chapters thrown at you too quickly to read.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    yes, and as many people know, having the book thrown at you is never a good thing - for any reason​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    yes, and as many people know, having the book thrown at you is never a good thing - for any reason​​

not the book itself, more like ripped-out pages.
  • Options

d6wm2h9-e507452b-0f54-4a18-a8cc-e6e155883684.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNDk0YjNkZjQtNjVkMy00ZDIyLWFiMWEtYWJjY2JjOTllYWI4XC9kNndtMmg5LWU1MDc0NTJiLTBmNTQtNGExOC1hOGNjLWU2ZTE1NTg4MzY4NC5qcGcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.-5_CfKuoEz1Ffkd0RnwLvcjesq5v5IhGKVn8VLRWivM
    The reason the "Into Darkness" Khan looks so different from the the TOS/Movie era one probably has something to do with their original idea of doing "Where No Man Has Gone Before" as their begin-at-the-beginning entry into the TOS timeframe. They dumped the idea after they already had things started (like casting) because it just did not have enough bold action movie opportunities in it no matter how they rewrote the script. With time running out they decided to play it safe and switch to the proven favorite villain.

That abrupt change of plan is visible in the casting, so while Benedict Cumberbatch is an odd choice for Khan he is perfect for the part of Gary Mitchell. Another example is Allice Eve, the actress who plays "Carol Marcus", she looks far more like Sally Kellerman (the actress who originally played Dr. Elizabeth Dehner) than she does Bibi Besch, and she even has her hair cut and styled for the Dehner part.

Did not know that. But still... he did a pretty good job as Khan.
  • Options
    Did not know that. But still... he did a pretty good job as Khan.

His performance was absolutely great and elevated the whole Khan-recycling.

• Options
    olbuzzardolbuzzard Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    "Move Along Home" actually does take more heat than it deserves, it was a silly episode but not really worse than some of the others that tried to be more serious. At least it was not a total immersion-breaking bit of silly nonsense like "Great Vegetable Rebellion" from Lost in Space was.

Oh my ... I remember both.. and yes the "Great Vegetable Rebellion" (though of a different genre) was definitely worse. The one who wrote that script was normally one of the better writers .. When the cast read the script they were in total disbelief . ( I don't think any of them could believe it actually).

Trek stuff we like (sort of ) but has to be the "worse" I still hold ST5 in that slot. There were a couple of fun spots ... but even the Klingons (renegades at that) were off "key" so to speak.
    OlBuzzardSig2017CCSML.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I remember reading a behind the scenes article where (among other things) they asked Peter Packer, the writer of "Great Vegetable Rebellion" how he came up with such a weird idea.

He said that he had a bad case of writers block at the time and the last minute rejection of another script in the pipeline on Friday pushed the deadline for the next script (which was his) up to Monday. He struggled most of the weekend and was rather punchy when this silly idea popped into his head and would not go away so he tried the trick of writing it to get it out of the way for something better but got caught up in it and by the time it was done he didn't have any time left for anything else so he turned it in expecting production to reject it and go to the next writer in the loop but things were so tight they shot it instead.

The cast could not believe the script, in fact Major West is usually facing away from the camera in the episode because the actor could not do the scenes with a straight face so they ended up shooting with him turned away. Even Jonathan Harris, infamous for going off-script to inject humor, played it almost completely as written because he could not think of anything more bizarre than what was already there.

ST5 was definitely a mess :lol:

It probably was not helped by the fact that Shatner badly underestimated production cost of the script as written so it was in constant flux during shooting to try and salvage it as the money started running out.
  • Options
    olbuzzard wrote: »
    Several reasons ... but at the top of the list was the " cat woman" at that bar !

Paul: Three tribbles, awesome.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    jake477 wrote: »
    Early TNG. The music was corny electronic 80s, the Enterprise bridge looked tacky with the brown wood paneling and Data wasn't really the Data we came to know and love. Geordi was a wise cracking loud mouth and Worf was lame.

It got better in Season 2 by far but Season 1 TNG was awkward and very cringe-worthy yet compared to early seasons of Voyager and Discovery, Early TNG is awesome in its own way.

Where No One has gone Before, Home Soil, Conspiracy, and such I liked a lot.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    olbuzzard wrote: »

Paul: Three tribbles, awesome.

Fun Fact: That catwoman is actually on the poster of the japanese release of STV.

s-l640.jpg
    Post edited by redeyedraven on