test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Yo, Abdin, this is what plagiarism looks like

starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
edited October 2019 in Ten Forward
Okay, I'm trolling just a little bit. >:)

Hong Kong-based Gamebear just got caught plagiarizing artwork from Halo 4 for use in Stellaris: Galaxy Command, a mobile-based gaiden game of Stockholm-based Paradox Interactive's grand strategy title Stellaris.
ekd2fjkwonxsivzyci5l.jpg

PDX, the publisher, yanked the title off the store and killed the servers after they were notified of the issue. They're currently going through the game with a fine-toothed comb for any other incidents.

Also, like a true shovelware dev, Gamebear reskinned their own previous game Nova Empire with Stellaris art to make this thing.

Sources:
"Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
— Sabaton, "Great War"
VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I'm pretty sure Abdin knows... given how much of his work is an "homage" of previous works.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Dear God! That is BLATANT in the extreme! And a rather poor photoshop job too. You can still make out part of the back end of the foreground Pelican in the edited picture, and where that Pelican was... is kinda fuzzy!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Dear God! That is BLATANT in the extreme! And a rather poor photoshop job too. You can still make out part of the back end of the foreground Pelican in the edited picture, and where that Pelican was... is kinda fuzzy!

It gets worse. The full image as used in Galaxy Command had Scorpions and a Warthog to the left of the screen grabs starswordc posted, which the Devs didn't even bother to edit out! You could even make out the letters UNSC on the tanks' suspension modules!
  • Options
    terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    That what happens when you outsource your game's IP to mobile game devs like Gamebear who also pretty much stole from Stellaris for Nova Empire.

Also recognised certain ship in this Nova Empire trailer at 0:14
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMcsfngb6ZI

They look awfully similar to Iconian ships
    bf9f3617a495d77ac2df5b2409d49b00.jpg
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    Not that similar. However, the thing at 0:56 - space station? battle cruiser? - was just about identical to the Tzenkethi ship that tried to bomb Bajor. (And the attack ships' wings unfolded in a manner that looked quite familiar to me. "Lock S-foils in attack positions," anyone?)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    Not that similar? They both have 🌲 shapes
    and a giant cyclops eye within their ship design. They aren't identical but they have similarities.

I couldn't see the x-wing reference.
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Not that similar? They both have 🌲 shapes
    and a giant cyclops eye within their ship design. They aren't identical but they have similarities.

I couldn't see the x-wing reference.

Personally, they both look like they were inspired by angels.

As far as plagiarism is concerned, does China even care about it? Only when it involves interacting with the West is there any effect. It was only due to the game being part of the Stellaris franchise was it able to be pulled by PDX. If it was a generic mobile game, then Microsoft would not be able to do anything about it. China certainly has a reputation for knockoffs.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    That what happens when you outsource your game's IP to mobile game devs like Gamebear who also pretty much stole from Stellaris for Nova Empire.

Also recognised certain ship in this Nova Empire trailer at 0:14
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMcsfngb6ZI

They look awfully similar to Iconian ships
    bf9f3617a495d77ac2df5b2409d49b00.jpg

yes, they are 'similar' in the same way the tzen'tar dreadnought is similar to the cardassian hutet - they aren't the same model even if they have the same general silhouette​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    A mistake but they get to pocket the money.
    From what I understand they won’t be able to introduce new evidence. I don’t really see another judge ruling in his favor. The judge’s ruling was pretty cut and dry. You can’t trademark people (black woman, frizzy haired woman, TRIBBLE man) and you can’t trademark living creatures (tigers, Tardegrades, lizards).

> @garaks31 said:
    > he raised same good amount for Appeal
    >
    > https://www.gofundme.com/f/justiceforanas
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    garaks31 wrote: »
    he raised same good amount for Appeal

https://www.gofundme.com/f/justiceforanas
    "There's a sucker born every minute." -- P.T. Barnum

He's not going to do any better with the federal appeals court than he did in the district court, because he has no case. And you can forget SCOTUS taking an appeal, even if it was a sane composition like the Warren court.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    ryan218 wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »

It gets worse. The full image as used in Galaxy Command had Scorpions and a Warthog to the left of the screen grabs starswordc posted, which the Devs didn't even bother to edit out! You could even make out the letters UNSC on the tanks' suspension modules!

I didn't post that image originally due to brevity, but you're right. This is S:GC (another thing they ripped off /jk):
    xkhcnnkod0hsbykt4azt.jpg

And this is the original art piece:
    v63ogm9ncxclpac6ar0f.jpg
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    The other major component of the case is they were unable to prove that Discovery took any ideas from his game.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > yes, they are 'similar' in the same way the tzen'tar dreadnought is similar to the cardassian hutet - they aren't the same model even if they have the same general silhouette​​

I must have amnesia. Can someone quote the part where I said the models are identical?

'Similar'

adjective
    having a resemblance in appearance, character, or quantity, without being identical.

The ship reminded me of them which I thought was fun, not that they stole from Cryptic...
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    The design for the Hutet was first seen in DS9: Dominion Wars though right? BEFORE STO came out.
    And besides... the two ships only have a similar appearance from above. From the front and sides, the Hutet is clearly beefier on the front end.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)