test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

what is the target number for a drain build?

annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
I saw a few threads when researching and saw that drain effectiveness maxes out when you get drain to 200? that seems like a ludicrously low number, I can get that with three sci consoles.
We Want Vic Fontaine

Comments

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    not even remotely close...you need well in excess of 600 to even BEGIN to notice it doing something to NPCs, 800 or more if you want to actually shut them down for a reasonable amount of time​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    ok that sounds more likely, and not a number i can come remotely close to.
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    edited September 2019
    I'm not sure, but for an awesome Gravity Well... its generally about... somewhere around 400 ControlX I believe. It might be similar for drain.

Its been a while since I looked at my Megawell build so I might be off a few points.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Below is a very old (2016) Drain build I was dinking around with back in the day. I hope this helps as a place to start from. Resurrected it earlier this week and got to 490 Drain Expertise on it. Not too shabby a beginning if I do say so myself. Some of the Consoles listed below have been adjusted by the Devs or replaced by better gear. The ship was a favorite of mine at the time. However, there are probably ships now available which would make a far better base to build a Drain build on. Still, 490 Drain Expertise with 125 Aux Power can significantly hurt something. Used to be a forum member named autumnturning around here who had some decent info on Drain builds. This build was inspired by him. There are a few other old hands who are far smarter about Drain stuff than I am. I wish I could remember their usernames to help point you in the right direction.

Anyways, I hope this gives you some ideas to have fun with. Enjoy.

**Ship Information**

Name: I.K.S. wa'SanID nav pe'(One Thousand Paper Cuts)
    Class: Fleet Kamarag Battle Cruiser Retrofit (T5-U)
    Intended Role: Thinking outside the box when it comes to ship loadouts and capabilities. Inspired by autumnturning.

Commanding Officer: Dahar Master Cha Herom
    Career: Science
    Faction: Klingon Defense Force
    Species: Lethean
    Primary Specialization: Intelligence
    Secondary Specialization: Pilot

Notes: Haven't tried finding the optimum specialization combination yet.

Ship Loadout - Final?

Fore Weapons
    Neutronic Torpedo Launcher Mk XIV(VR)
    Polaron Turret Mk XII [Acc]x2[CtrH](VR)

Aft Weapons
    Quantum Phase Torpedo Launcher Mk XIV(VR)

Notes: Sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward. Basic Polarons work better so far.
    I purchased the [Acc]x2[Dmg] Delta Rep turrets which may have been a mistake.

Deflector: Elite Fleet Axion Deflector Array Mk XIII [CrtlX]x2 [EPG] [SciCD]
    Impulse: Elite Fleet Efficient Impulse Engines Mk XIII [Pow] [Spd] [Turn]x2
    Warp Core: Elite Fleet Plasma-Integrated Warp Core MkXIII [ACap] [AMP] [Eff] [S->A] [Trans]
    Shields: Elite Fleet Adaptive Resilient Shield Array Mk XIII [Adapt] [Cap]x2 [ResB]

Notes: Fleet gear may outperform Terran Rep gear. Unknown at present. Terran Set arrives next Tuesday, lol.
    I've had no problems with keeping hull and shields up against NPCs so far.

Devices
    Subspace Field Modulator
    Temporal Negotiator
    Red Matter Capacitor

Notes: Batteries work well here as well. Tested them with only some loss of capability.

Engineering Consoles
    Plasmonic Leech
    Quantum Phase Converter Mk XIV(VR)
    Tachyokinetic Converter Mk XIV(VR)
    Conductive RCS Accelerator Mk XIV [DrainX](VR)

Notes: If I swap out the leech for a Zero-Point Console drain goes to 430 but power levels drop to around 100 and stay there. Since I have an [AMP] Warp Core, I am keeping the leech.

Science Consoles
    Restorative Particle Focuser Mk XIV [DrainX]x2(UR)

Tactical Consoles
    Chronometric Capacitor Mk XIV(VR)
    Polaron Phase Converter Mk XIV(VR)
    Polaron Phase Converter Mk XIV(VR)

Notes: Had two Mk XIV Vulnerability Exploiters here. So when I landed a hit, it really did hit.
    I know CRTH should be on Consoles rather than weapons. Currently unable to purchase Vulnerability Locators.
    May put the Exploiters back on later.

Bridge Officers
    Universal/Tactical (VR Lethean): Torpedo: High Yield I | Cannon: Rapid Fire I
    Tactical (VR Lethean): Torpedo: Spread I | Cannon: Scatter Volley I
    Tactical (VR Lethean): Tactical Team I
    Engineering (VR Lethean): Engineering Team I | Emergency Power to Shields II | Emergency Power to Weapons III | Eject Warp Plasma III
    Science (VR Lethean): Science Team I | Tyken's Rift I | Gravity Well I

Duty Officers
    (VR) Energy Weapons Officer - Chance to reduce the recharge time when using cannon special attacks
    (VR) Projectile Weapons Officer - Chance to reduce the reload time when using torpedoes (Law from Nimbus III)
    (VR) Warp Core Engineer - Chance of temporarily improving your ship power on the use of any Emergency Power ability
    (VR) Development Lab Scientist - Recharge time reduced for Science Team and Buff
    (VR) Gravimetric Scientist - Chance to create an aftershock Gravity Well

Notes: I cannot get the aftershock Tyken's to fire, no matter what I try.
    This is more probably related to something I am doing rather than a problem with the game.
    Switched to aftershock Gravity Well because it does fire.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    skhcskhc Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    My drain build, the Drain Expertise stat is 701. Cyclical Power Capacitors boost it by 50 when I'm using my drain abilities, and I also have another 100 activatable boost from Quantumn Singularity Manipulation from the New Romulus Rep. It's pretty reliable for shutdown.

It's not quite 100% geared to DrainX, probably 90%. I haven't actively worked on the build for the past few months, so some of what I'm using has likely been superceded by better gear or trait selection.

Relevant Space Traits: Astrophysicist & Cyclical Power Capacitors.

Ship: T6 Fleet Advanced Research Vessel (Nebula Class)

Deflector: Terran Task Force Mk XV (VR) 63.8 DrainX + part of 2 piece Terran bonus which is another 17.3 DrainX
    Secondary Deflector: Deteriorating Competition Mk XII (VR) 13.1 DrainX
    Engine: Temporal Defence Initiative Combat Impulse Engine Mk XIII (VR)
    Core: Terran Task Force Quantum Capacitor Warp Core Mk XIII (VR) - part of 2 piece Terran bonus
    Shields: Temporal Defense Initiative Regen Shield Array Mk XV (VR) 31.9 DrainX

Weapons:
    Quantum Phase Torpedo Launcher Mk XII (VR)
    Advanced Piezo-Polaron Beam Array Mk XIII (VR) - Part of 2 piece Lukari Restoration Set bonus 20 DrainX
    Rest are Polaron beams that don't impact the drain stat.

Consoles:
    Eng: Tachyon Detection Grid - Nebula Set bonus
    Tachyon Particle Field Emitter 25 DrainX + Nebula Set Bonus of 35.5 DrainX
    RCS Accelerator [DrainX] Mk XV (UR) 35 DrainX
    Quantumn Phase Converter Mk XV (VR) 35.6 DrainX

Sci:
    1x Exotic Particle Focuser [DrainX][ShHP] Mk XV (Epic) 39.4 DrainX (not exactly sure why I have this)
    1x Exotic Particle Focuser Mk XV [DrainX]x2 (Epic) 65.6 DrainX
    3x Exotic Particle Focuser Mx XV (UR) 62.5 DrainX each.

Tac:
    Piezo Electric Focuser Mk XII (VR) - Part of 2 piece Lukari Restoration set.
    Vunerability Locator [Polaron] Mk XIV (UR)

Relevant DOffs:
    2 x Deflector Officer. Chance to reduce recharge time for Deflector Abilities (VR)
    1 x Deflector Officer. Chance to reduce recharge time for Deflector Abilities (R)
    1 x Gravimetric Scientist. Chance to create an aftershock Tyken's Rift (VR)

I could generate ~780 before combat bonuses by dropping the [DrainX][ShHP] particle focuser for another one with [DrainX]x2, and by dropping what's currently in the tactical console slots, moving the Nebula set there and adding in two more RCS Accelerator (DrainX) consoles in the Engineering slot. (EDIT: Scratch the last bit, Conductive RCS Accelerators are 1 per loadout. Shows you how long it is since I built this ship)
    Post edited by skhc on
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    skhc wrote: »
    I haven't actively worked on the build for the past few months, so some of what I'm using has likely been superceded by better gear or trait selection.

not likely - there hasn't really been anything drain-focused lately

@skhc also...i'm curious as to why you're using the temporal engines when 1: as a drain build, you're going to have power leaking out of every port, so combat engines are the absolute WORST you could possibly get, especially when, unlike the shields, they have no inherent drain bonus and 2: the 2-piece ALSO does not have any drain bonus​​
    Post edited by legendarylycan#5411 on
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    so, um...the trait off the new sommerville/batlh might be worth a look for drain builds
    Whenever you activate a Science or Intelligence Bridge Officer ability:
    To foes within 5 km of your anomalies:

10,687,4 Electrical Damage

-28.4 All Power Levels for 20 sec
    That's with EPG 433, Drain Expertise 178, and Control Expertise 260.
    EDIT: For comparison, my Gravity Well III with hese stats inflicts 1,870.9 per second.

if that's what someone got with just 178 drain (it looks like 100 drainx = -15 power level), this could easily replace tyken's 3 in favor of grabbity well 3 - hold enemies in place WHILE draining the shirt out of them, AND they stay clustered for UNSHIELDED chain core breaches​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    For years now drain has been kind of useless. Around the time the Wells originally came out, drain builds were extremely powerful, but at some point most drain abilities were nerfed straight into the ground and through it into the depths of hell. It could still be possible to make one, but like shadow said you will need atleast 600 to make it remotely viable.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    thank you for the drain builds you posted, but none of it will happen for me. far too much fleet consoles required, and i won't join any fleet.
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I built a minelayer with around 4-500 drain. Its quite powerful so I'm not sure if targets of 600 are really accurate. I'm sure some folk may just want to compare them to other extreme DPS builds, but I know mine is extremely viable in advanced content so I'm not concerned beyond that.
  • Options
    odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    I dont have an extreme dps drain ship (Laeosa sci warbird) but it will clear 80k in isa with pugs.

I'm running between 800 and 900 drainx (@100 aux power)

At these numbers Tykens3 is over -110 per tick..E Siphon2 is at 90(ish) all subsystems and qphase torp is approaching -60k all shields. Aceton assimilators, Neutronic torpedo, and that's new intel sci ship trait are all -75 to -80 all subsystems

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Double post

Post edited by skhc on
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Thought I'd posted earlier, but it's gone now?
    thank you for the drain builds you posted, but none of it will happen for me. far too much fleet consoles required, and i won't join any fleet.

You can use Power Insulators and the Nausicaan Siphon Console instead. Depending on upgrades, you'd lose about 25-30 DrainX vs. an equivalent mark and rarity [DrainX]x2 Fleet Console for each Sci slot you have. Not nearly as efficient, obviously, but 600 would still be within reach if you went all out.
    @skhc also...i'm curious as to why you're using the temporal engines when 1: as a drain build, you're going to have power leaking out of every port, so combat engines are the absolute WORST you could possibly get, especially when, unlike the shields, they have no inherent drain bonus and 2: the 2-piece ALSO does not have any drain bonus​​

Not 100% sure since it's so long since I initially made the build, but I think it was for the DoT bonus on Drain Infection from the 2 piece bonus. Something I could probably change for a [Damp] Impulse Engine.
    so, um...the trait off the new sommerville/batlh might be worth a look for drain builds

Looks very good alright.

Post edited by skhc on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    It looks like alot of fun..the Somerville trait...-82 all on top of -120 all..Very nice
    https://imgur.com/ahJh2WS
    Post edited by odinforever20000 on

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    My ships is the Romulan Variant on the advanced research vessel

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    what's that weird thing with the lightning bolts in the engineering seat? is that recursive shearing?​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    So...I just realized on mobile devices that image is not sharp..It was on my pc..
    Anywho..That's Rapid decay 2. Temporal ability.

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.