test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

new animations feedback

well, I must say that the old ones was better. the animations for the feminine stance are really weird, not natural at all. So weird, that I changed the stance of my main.

Comments

• Options
    bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    I must say...I used to enjoy looking at my toon when she was running. Now it seems not natural at all or perhaps She has a bad case of hemorrhoids while walking or running normal-2.gif​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    we've had sensors that one can stick all over their body and form natural animations from that for a good several years now, if not over a decade...why are game companies consistently REFUSING to use it and instead MANUALLY make animations that are not physically possible in real life?​ at least not possible unless you have something wrong with you​​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
    Agreed, had to change mine the moment I saw it... Most of the other animations are good, but the feminine sprint is just terrible...
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • Options
    starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    giphy.gif​​
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Yeah, the new stuff’s bad... why do they have to go and fix something that is not broken?!

I hope they change their mind and put it back the way it was...

:(
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    > we've had sensors that one can stick all over their body and form natural animations from that for a good several years now, if not over a decade...why are game companies consistently REFUSING to use it and instead MANUALLY make animations that are not physically possible in real life?​ at least not possible unless you have something wrong with you​​​

Because motion capture is expensive, very expensive.

there are free tools. even in Blender, you can do motion capture.
  • Options
    duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    My characters new animations are weird and wiggly. Way too much sway. Like they've got their earpods in and think no one's watching as the try to 'groove' during their morning jog. :D

Please change it back to the old animations.

As for motion capture being expensive. I'd not expect Cryptic to set up a studio. But I'd have to believe that basic 'walk/run' data can be purchasable fairly cheaply. Essentially 'stock photo' level of data. I'd think it's more a question of them being able to USE such data in their program.
  • Options
    yeah, free programs with motion-capture do exist, so i don't see where the expense would be coming from...the sensors themselves can't be all THAT expensive, even if they contain very sensitive and thus hard-to-manufacture components​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    andy who? is this a cryptic employee i've never heard of?​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    crm14916 wrote: »
    Yeah, the new stuff’s bad... why do they have to go and fix something that is not broken?!

I hope they change their mind and put it back the way it was...

:(
    CM

I don't understand why they don't fix the "weapon disappearance bug": when a blablabla window pop up or when we use a kit skill, the weapon is removed from the hands. it is really annoying.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    andy who? is this a cryptic employee i've never heard of?​​

gollum, lol
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    The easiest motion capture is the ir camera with glued stryrofoam balls.. works wonders... but to the point, i had to change the stance also on my main.. the runing was... odd.. they sould just watch videos of a woman running or something, not anyone, but a military one, as our characters are trained to run and other stuff..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    yes, and while they do that, cryptic should also take note of how people generally hold their arms when they sprint...ALL of cryptic...people don't hold their arms out to their sides like a freaking orangutan when they sprint!​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    The new feminine sprint is utterly bonkers. The old one was too, but this one is worse.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • Options
    kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Agree with what's being said here - the new jog and sprint animations are horrendous, absolutely HORRENDOUS. There was no need to eff with these aspects, and now we're stuck with "the dirty diaper" run. Seriously, who approved this and said, "oh wow, this is so much better than before!" Shame on that person and the animator who worked on it. It's a FAIL of such epic proportions. I'm also changing the stances of my fem chars. :/
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • Options
    manwholaughsmanwholaughs Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    I too cannot stand the new female movement animations... There is something just so unnatural and cartoony about them. I mean out of all of the things they could update and fix, they go with one of the most unnecessary changes they could do, not only are they fixing what wasn't broken in the first place, but they have actually made the animations worse... How about fixing the weapon holster appear/disappear bug (something which is currently driving me nuts I might add), priorities Cryptic!
  • Options
    thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Could be worse, if you have played neverwinter. The warlock run animation is so much worse then the new animation changes they have made in sto. I'd take this new animation they have right now and just port it over to neverwinter and replace the chicken winged animations on the warlock if I was them. Anyways I'm sure people will get use to the new animation improvements within sto. I'd imagine some folks might notice it as time goes on. They did a lot of great work and I'm really impressed and happy about the moving antennae. I'm wanting to see this done in the tos versions. But I'm really happy that andorians can have moving antennae along with alien gen aenar. Compared to either having dirty diaper or chicken wing. I'd take Dirty diaper any day of the week.
  • Options
    Yes, I agreed with you in chat that Neverwinter run animations are often pretty bad.

That said, we're not playing NW and the run animation wasn't a problem here.
  • Options
    Oddly enough, some of my Fem characters still have the good running animation, while others have the diaper run. And it's random. My original/1st character + the last female char I created have the bad run, where as my Andorian who I made within the 1st year has the normal/GOOD running animation. Hopefully this is just some weird glitch and hopefully the devs are getting a lot of negative feedback from this "WTF" move.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    kain9prime wrote: »
    Oddly enough, some of my Fem characters still have the good running animation, while others have the diaper run. And it's random. My original/1st character + the last female char I created have the bad run, where as my Andorian who I made within the 1st year has the normal/GOOD running animation. Hopefully this is just some weird glitch and hopefully the devs are getting a lot of negative feedback from this "WTF" move.

They did not change all of the female animation sets, the one your Andorian is using might be one without the new run animation (it looks better than the old one from the side btw, now if they hadn't broken it from the back view it would have been great). The body proportions make a difference too, shorter stockier characters look really bizarre with the new animation while taller, thinner characters with lower "leg bulk" and "posterior" settings look less ridiculous with it, and the character generator tends to favor tall and thin for Andorians so that may be part of it too.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    I do like the facial expressions in the updates, though.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User

Agreed 100% facial animations and the animations in the new episode are spot on. Whoever is doing them needs a cookie. :)
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Neither the female slow or fast runs look right. Slow run, the character bounces like crazy and it just seems unnatural. Fast run the arms swing out excessively.

Surely whoever made and tweaked the animations can view a video of a real person properly running slow and fast and try to animate that, instead of this weird stuff now.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    Will they be fixing the female walk/run animation or revert back to what it was?

Used to be eye candy and now just it's an eyesore mouse-12.gif​​
  • Options
    deavonwdeavonw Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Yes I have no idea who saw the comparison between the old and new animations and thought these were better. The female jog has an extreme bounce to her step. They bob up and down and the transition is just not there, it looks like they are stretching and shrinking as the move. They jut around like they are suffering from stuttering lag.

I have to ask, why was this something they felt like they needed to change? Out of all the posts, requests, pleads etc Ive not once heard anyone complain that the female running animations weren't over exaggerated enough.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    lexusk19 wrote: »

Agreed 100% facial animations and the animations in the new episode are spot on. Whoever is doing them needs a cookie. :)

As with the emotes, too.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I must point out that the new animations are great, the Andorian Antennae is awesome, as many, many other nice details!.. it just the femenine walk that is odd, the animations and expresions are fenomenal, so yeah, overall they are great..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
This discussion has been closed.