What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

More about the Abdin case.... again...

124»

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    Statements made regarding the Spore Drive have generally been along the lines of "that's not what a mycelial network is," and that's fair, because we have fungi on Earth and can study them. Sensible statements can be made regarding mycelia.

Sensors that work faster than light, however, are entirely fictional, and can function by whatever rules the writers set. The only thing of import is that the rules should be as consistent as possible. Recalling that in TOS the sensors are so limited in the presence of ion storms that it was possible to frame Kirk for murder by ejecting an inspection pod with no life signs aboard, and that in TWoK sensors and fire-control systems were disabled by a highly-energetic nebula (which is for all practical intents and purposes a vacuum with ambition), I find it entirely consistent that a planetary magnetic field can have regions of such high EM flux as to spoof the FTL sensors.

Oh, and we don't really know that the Romulan cloak (or its Klingon relative) is invisible to radar. Nobody's ever tried it, to the best of our knowledge. It's not "invisible" to the naked eye, just really really hard to see. (In fact, when cloaked vessels have been spotted on TV or in the movies, it's been by direct visual observation; the sensors were completely useless in that task.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    jonsills wrote: »
    Oh, and we don't really know that the Romulan cloak (or its Klingon relative) is invisible to radar. Nobody's ever tried it, to the best of our knowledge. It's not "invisible" to the naked eye, just really really hard to see. (In fact, when cloaked vessels have been spotted on TV or in the movies, it's been by direct visual observation; the sensors were completely useless in that task.)

Well... there is at least how the Klingon BoP cloak in the 23rd Century was portrayed in ST4. It was full on invisible even in atmo, and Dr. Gillian Taylor ran face first into the invisible landing strut of the Bounty. The only indication she was even there was the imprint of the landing struts in the ground. Don't think 1980s Radar could pick up on the Cloaked BoP, but there was no indication that they were detected, or that the military was even looking. So in terms of Radar we can't say one way or the other, but can infer that 23rd Century cloaks are invisible to at least 1980s Radar tech. 23rd and 24th Century sensors could probably detect the atmospheric displacement of a cloaked solid object in an atmosphere.

Jonsils is right though in regards to blind spots with sensors. Star Trek has been consistant with most of these blind spots, the main one being polar region magnetic fields. Hell... we even have an instance of that happening in STO with Kagran suggesting our ships take up a Polar orbit to hide from the approaching ships in Midnight.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »

Well... there is at least how the Klingon BoP cloak in the 23rd Century was portrayed in ST4. It was full on invisible even in atmo, and Dr. Gillian Taylor ran face first into the invisible landing strut of the Bounty. The only indication she was even there was the imprint of the landing struts in the ground. Don't think 1980s Radar could pick up on the Cloaked BoP, but there was no indication that they were detected, or that the military was even looking. So in terms of Radar we can't say one way or the other, but can infer that 23rd Century cloaks are invisible to at least 1980s Radar tech. 23rd and 24th Century sensors could probably detect the atmospheric displacement of a cloaked solid object in an atmosphere.

Jonsils is right though in regards to blind spots with sensors. Star Trek has been consistant with most of these blind spots, the main one being polar region magnetic fields. Hell... we even have an instance of that happening in STO with Kagran suggesting our ships take up a Polar orbit to hide from the approaching ships in Midnight.

The stupidity there being a polar orbit merely means an orbital path which passes over the poles. It is entirely possible to be in a polar orbit and yet pass over Gran Canaria.
  • Options
    I interpret a Polar Orbit being more like sticking to the Polar region of the planet, rather than a full, standard orbit that crosses the Equator and both poles. So basically just circling above or around the Arctic Circle rather than the full circumfrence of the planet.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I interpret a Polar Orbit being more like sticking to the Polar region of the planet, rather than a full, standard orbit that crosses the Equator and both poles. So basically just circling above or around the Arctic Circle rather than the full circumfrence of the planet.

Well, yeah, that's obviously what it meant to the writers (and, to be fair, it's certainly possible for starships of Star Trek's capability, if inefficient), but the writers also thought that a supernova could propagate faster than the speed of light, so...
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    yes, that was entirely JJ's idiocy, but at least STO worked around that by saying the explosion ruptured subspace and some of the energy traveled through it - which would 'technically' make it go FTL...of course, that just brings up another problem; once it entered subspace, how the hell did the supernova energy then EXIT it just in time to impact romulus?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    yes, that was entirely JJ's idiocy, but at least STO worked around that by saying the explosion ruptured subspace and some of the energy traveled through it - which would 'technically' make it go FTL...of course, that just brings up another problem; once it entered subspace, how the hell did the supernova energy then EXIT it just in time to impact romulus?​​

How do Subspace Weapons work and damage things in normal space?
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    as far as we've been shown, subspace weapons rip holes in the fabric of normal space and allow subspace to bleed through - which is always a bad thing, because the energy released is incredibly destructive to most starships​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    Well, apparently that was part of the design specs for the device the Iconians gave to Taris and Hakeev. Hakeev figured it out, of course - but he thought he could work with that. Nobody apart from those two had the data to put it together until twenty-two years later.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
This discussion has been closed.