test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Q's Winter Wonderland!

Comments

• ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    Running the race for Epohh tags is absolutely pointless unless you're have access to all the ground speed boosts in this game. There's no way to win enough tags in a day to raise an epohh if you don't have that or feel like spending 4+ hours in QWW.
    That race have never been fair and never been meant to be fair from the devs hands, they're just too cowardly to say it but anyone who's run it a couple of times can tell as much.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    @ilithyn: There is a definite technique to that race, and I have never run it with the "frosty boots", either. One way to improve your odds is to login at non-prime time hours, when there are only a few or even no other contestants. But in normal play, I find that the key both in Fast & Flurrious and Fastest Game on Ice is to start turns early, and keep moving forward, with no letup on the "W" key (assuming you're using the default). Use hardpoint barriers as back bumpers as you slide into turns (legs churning the whole way), and they won't impede your progress, and help you stay on the track. Try to take the straightest line thru every turn, and cut inside other players as you round the corners. In a really crowded track, it's hard to come away with a win, but second or third aren't too hard to get with up to 6 players on the track, if you can smooth out your "fall line" down the mountain as described here. Most importantly, DECIDE you will learn how, and you will get the hang of it. Good luck!
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    @centaurianalpha Yeah because my techniwue deteriorate so much when changing from my main who has speed boosts on, to a complete new toon which has nothing at all except the frosted boots. And there are those pesky things called timezones and work that affect when it is possible to play.
    Sure, it's my technique that's the issue here. Definitely. /s

Thanks for a completely uninstructive posts.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I will admit to being an expert at the race. It's my favorite for many many years now. I have 2 new characters this year with nothing for gear and have won all races but 2 - one of those to a hopper. If you make no mistakes you can often win except against a hopper regardless of gear. I strongly advise sprinting then rolling when you need to change direction. The main factor is not to hit any obstacle.

Try to find the instance with only 3 racers or less and you can get the tags in one iteration of the twin races - less than 15 minutes.

As far as all the cheats. I have seen someone going over the wall already this year. Have not seen the log in at finish line yet. Hopefully that is gone forever.

The very fastest racers are the macro hoppers with frosted boot. I can not defeat a true macro hopper but luckily they are only seen maybe 20 times in the season. Aside from the true hoppers there is no reason to wear the boots during the race.

Next fastest are the 8472 armor rollers. This is my usual technique since I'm a roller anyway. I will occasionally lose to a delta set speedster if they have some other boost also.

Most racers have none of these. If you find a less crowded instance you really can get your tags quickly and easily.

Will they remove these boosts? No. They have been active since the race began. They are undoubtedly tied into the non-winter mechanics and can not simply be turned off for winter.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• tobywitczaktobywitczak Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    For the "The Fast and The Flurrious" when it was introduced it was run 4 times an hour, but it 2017 it was changed to 2 times every 90 minutes. Unfortunately, the rewards scale was not adjusted when the time between events was shifted went, So for the same amount of time players are only getting 1/3 the rewards
    So maybe a something like 12 for first, 9 for second, 6 for third, 3 for everyone, and 12 for last place
    Fundamentally speaking this the same issue that Risa Summer event is facing, And the solution might just be to start running some of the events in parallel and let the player decide
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    ilithyn wrote: »
    Running the race for Epohh tags is absolutely pointless unless you're have access to all the ground speed boosts in this game. There's no way to win enough tags in a day to raise an epohh if you don't have that or feel like spending 4+ hours in QWW.
    That race have never been fair and never been meant to be fair from the devs hands, they're just too cowardly to say it but anyone who's run it a couple of times can tell as much.

You don't need the speed boosts as they can be more harm than good in this event. You just need to know how to use the terrain like with the daily event and be ready to catch the flag as soon as possible
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • voodoopokeyvoodoopokey Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    sto6659 wrote: »
    It never has been a real competition. There are too many boosts that work, we have been complaining about that forever and nothing happened. So either disable all or none.

There have always been ways to boost your speed, but until this year they were available to all characters. The ketracel 25% run speed boost is available only to Jem'Hadar characters, and that's a new sort of bias - one that cannot be overcome by other characters regardless of their access to equipment and traits.
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    I'm not aware of any speed boosts on any of my alts, and all of them come away with sufficient tags to keep the epohhs rolling granted, the event is not as often, but then, neither is each instance of running my alts, since I'm up to 12 now... :o
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User

I ran it yesterday and won fairly easily. Ferasan's help, because you can jump obstacles instead of bouncing off of them.
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    Just gave up after 5 tries at Fastest Game on Ice of all things, because ridiculous server lag keeps throwing me off the course. If you're going to host these events with the intent of having as many people as possible logging in, you need to address this. I don't care if it's server load or your ISP. That is not my problem to diagnose.
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    hanover2 wrote: »
    Just gave up after 5 tries at Fastest Game on Ice of all things, because ridiculous server lag keeps throwing me off the course. If you're going to host these events with the intent of having as many people as possible logging in, you need to address this. I don't care if it's server load or your ISP. That is not my problem to diagnose.

Sorry to hear that. I have had lag issues before. Sometimes it's on their end. Sometimes it's part of the network between you and them. And sometimes it's the end user's computer. Sometimes restarting the computer and having no extra programs/apps running is all it takes. Instead of outright accusing the STO team at Cryptic, you should at least try to see if it is on your end or not. Then work with them to find or make a solution.
    My current computer has a tonne of issues. That said I am glad the game has run as well as it is, with only a negligible degree of rubber banding so far.

Fastest Game on Ice is not one of the games I play usually; I race for the ships/vouchers and do some of the others.
    Whatever you decide to do, try again or not, good luck!
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    tomilak wrote: »
    I am glad some of you are having fun with that race, I know alot of us who are sitting by watching the ship pass by with no chance of getting one.

I missed a few ships that way. Back when Q gave out autographed photo's of himself, instead of vouchers.

At least until someone on the forums (I'm very grateful still for the help that person gave me) suggested going into the keybinds and suggested using both cursor button at the same time to do the roll. That way I could stop my slides (esp. on the hairpin turns where I end up sliding onto the frozen lake, for example) before I end up being disqualified.

I've gotten better with the races, that the newer characters of mine doesn't use the Left/Right mouse button keybind combo. :)
  • sto6659sto6659 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    > @voodoopokey said:
    > There have always been ways to boost your speed, but until this year they were available to all characters. The ketracel 25% run speed boost is available only to Jem'Hadar characters, and that's a new sort of bias - one that cannot be overcome by other characters regardless of their access to equipment and traits.

Most boosts are only available from the reputation or it's items, which prevents chars below level 50 from getting them. How is that different? It takes a couple of days to level a char to 50, so that is even more biased, because it takes just 5 seconds to create a new Jemmie, so where is your problem? It's all available to you.

You are making your judgement like you need it, right? Sounds like somebody was used to all his comfortable boosts / exploits giving him auto-wins and suddenly has to face a real competition. Awwwe.
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    I rather like the puff of smoke and forlorn red cap for summoning the elf after the WW is over.

I'm ok with no new activities. As it is the schedule is full. I wouldn't mind losing the snowconian if we got something new in its place. But Q is a bit depressed this year. And I can empathize.

I couldn't agree more. Enough of the 7/11 snow cone
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
    My Gorn from the last Delta Recruit event ran the race for the 40 Winter Prize Vouchers, but for some reason the Reputation's Event Reputation is blanked out. I've activated the Winter store (with the ornament) before I logged off to switch to another character who had all my Winter Event ornaments.

There isn't a available/cooldown up for the Winter Event race. The reason I knew it was available was the 'Q' over the Race Coordinator's head. What happened?
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    My Gorn from the last Delta Recruit event ran the race for the 40 Winter Prize Vouchers, but for some reason the Reputation's Event Reputation is blanked out. I've activated the Winter store (with the ornament) before I logged off to switch to another character who had all my Winter Event ornaments.

There isn't a available/cooldown up for the Winter Event race. The reason I knew it was available was the 'Q' over the Race Coordinator's head. What happened?

I been activating the store on all my Delta Recruits, this morning.

What I see is this: Immediately, after completing the project with one Terran Ornament to unlock the Winter Event store.....the assignment to unlock the Fek'lhri Storr Warship shows up in the event projects. It is available to slot. But I do not start it because I am running the project for the ship on another character and she already has it slotted as active project.

I am not sure what you mean by "Reputation's Event Reputation".

You can only run the race once per character, once every 20 hours.
    You will receive ship tokens every time, on every character, too.

If you talk to the Race Coordinator when he does not have the "Q" icon above his head, you can see how long you have to wait before your character can run the race, again.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • doggpatchdoggpatch Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    And if you do that, blueside will raise hell that they're getting robbed of a set bonus.

Oh, my Klingon heart bleeds purple peanut butter for the bluesiders. So worried you won't get a set bonus. You have the most toys, the most ships, the most everything. I can even think of at least one set bonus you have that KDF doesn't... Vesta bundle. Fed and their allies get access to the fastest ships in the galaxy and the most powerful slipstream drive, and yet you wanna complain if the redside gets something the blueside doesn't. Oh, the horror.

Boo freaking hoo.

hahahaha....yes that is the one thing that they have never fixed ...the blue side has all the bells and whistles ...and we Klings get the shaft....but we can make do...with out crying ....We are the TRIBBLE children of STO...jmho...
    edited December 2018
    where2r1 wrote: »

What I see is this: Immediately, after completing the project with one Terran Ornament to unlock the Winter Event store.....the assignment to unlock the Fek'lhri Storr Warship shows up in the event projects. It is available to slot. But I do not start it because I am running the project for the ship on another character and she already has it slotted as active project.

If you talk to the Race Coordinator when he does not have the "Q" icon above his head, you can see how long you have to wait before your character can run the race, again.

Yep. This. Oh yeah.
    I am having to carefully plot and track which toons I have racing and for which ships. As I presently have Active Projects for 2018, 2017, 2013 & 2012. I missed 2014-2016. oh well...

"Reputation's Event Reputation". Do you mean "Project Completion"?
    Post edited by sarvour0 on
    4073703.jpg
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
    sto6659 wrote:
    Most boosts are only available from the reputation or it's items, which prevents chars below level 50 from getting them. How is that different?

It's different in that characters below level 50 are capable of becoming characters at or above level 50, while shockingly few characters will evolve into Jem'Hadar over the course of their lifetimes. I'm a bit surprised you need this explained to you.
    sto6659 wrote:
    It takes a couple of days to level a char to 50, so that is even more biased, because it takes just 5 seconds to create a new Jemmie, so where is your problem? It's all available to you.

That's certainly a suggestion that has legs. You should run down the forum threads list and use it for everything. Upset that they've stopped making Rom ships? Roll a Fed! Feel like the customization options for KDF are lacking? Roll a Fed!
    sto6659 wrote:
    You are making your judgement like you need it, right? Sounds like somebody was used to all his comfortable boosts / exploits giving him auto-wins and suddenly has to face a real competition. Awwwe.

I'm guessing your charm and wit is what got your last forum account banned? Keep making new ones - I'm sure you'll wear them down!

Interacting with the Race Organizer (Breen npc) shows the cooldown time for your active character.
    4073703.jpg

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    That's certainly a suggestion that has legs. You should run down the forum threads list and use it for everything. Upset that they've stopped making Rom ships? Roll a Fed! Feel like the customization options for KDF are lacking? Roll a Fed!
    Think Klingons are dumb and smelly? Play an Orion! :p
    jcsww wrote: »
    I ran it yesterday and won fairly easily. Ferasan's help, because you can jump obstacles instead of bouncing off of them.
    Non-cats can do it too, it's just that timing is harder, and you have to bounce off the top.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The Fastest - I've explained a no-brainer way of doing it so you will not lose. Run fast ('W' + Shift, no Boots), when you get to a corner, Roll (Double Tap 'W'). You could skip the Roll on a few non-sharp corners, but if in doubt ROLL. If you have not at least tried that please don't come here to complain.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    The Fastest - I've explained a no-brainer way of doing it so you will not lose. Run fast ('W' + Shift, no Boots), when you get to a corner, Roll (Double Tap 'W'). You could skip the Roll on a few non-sharp corners, but if in doubt ROLL. If you have not at least tried that please don't come here to complain.

This is all that is needed for 7 years now. I hope to reach a decade of sprint rolling!
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• tobywitczaktobywitczak Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    You can also jump stop. I think the Delay is about the same as a roll, but you need to release all the keys before making landing the jump.

W + Shift -> Space to jump -> Release W + Shift before landing -> Once landed W + Shift

I'd say most people who have done the base 25 day solo racing during the winter event are aware of the fact that rolling or jumping will allow you to stop sliding - it'd be a torturous month without that.

In a competitive race, however, someone who uses all the same tricks you do, but sprints faster, will win. All of these glib "well I don't care and I win anyway" posts by people are based on the idea that your opponents will be a grab bag of people with differing levels of expertise and gear... and that's true... but as of 2018, if you face off against someone who uses the gear you do, and the tricks you do, and doesn't make a ton more mistakes than you do, and happens to be Jem'Hadar.. you lose regardless.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,497 Arc User

I'd say most people who have done the base 25 day solo racing during the winter event are aware of the fact that rolling or jumping will allow you to stop sliding - it'd be a torturous month without that.

In a competitive race, however, someone who uses all the same tricks you do, but sprints faster, will win. All of these glib "well I don't care and I win anyway" posts by people are based on the idea that your opponents will be a grab bag of people with differing levels of expertise and gear... and that's true... but as of 2018, if you face off against someone who uses the gear you do, and the tricks you do, and doesn't make a ton more mistakes than you do, and happens to be Jem'Hadar.. you lose regardless.

I have seen a lot of hornytoads doing skiijumps off the sides of the track like people who think the boots are a sure win, so the speed thing is not a total win button either. Also, there seems to be very few running Jem'Hadar in the winter wonderland instances so the chances of being in a race with one run by someone who knows what they are doing are not too high.
    I have seen a lot of hornytoads doing skiijumps off the sides of the track like people who think the boots are a sure win, so the speed thing is not a total win button either. Also, there seems to be very few running Jem'Hadar in the winter wonderland instances so the chances of being in a race with one run by someone who knows what they are doing are not too high.

It's like a never-ending parade of obtuse straw men in these forums. Lets make this easy:

If two people <insert whatever sage and perpendicular advice someone feels like giving> and one of them is a Jem'Hadar, then assuming no grievous errors in the running of the race, who will win?

Nothing is a guaranteed "I win" button and nobody has claimed such, so arguing against that is disingenuous. What I'm saying is that one particular species has an unanswerable advantage over all other species in an event that Cryptic has decided should be competitive... it doesn't matter how much time, effort, or money you sink into a character.. unless it's Jem'Hadar, it will always be inherently slower than a Jem'Hadar.

In the past the race wasn't balanced between all characters, but whatever advantage one character had over another was something you could work your way toward having. Run speed from items... or traits... you could work toward getting those items.. or traits... or skills. This isn't that.

All of the responses people seem to have are at a 45-to-90 degree angle to this... its all "wait until there isn't a Jem'Hadar in the race" or "Roll a Jem'Hadar" or "Keep trying until the Jem'Hadar make more mistakes than you". It's not helpful, it's just talking for the sake of talking. If you don't care that there's an inherent imbalance between species in a competitive activity then that's fine.. but maybe dont-care in fewer words.
    the real question to ask is CAN the ketracel boost be disabled for the race without messing it up in the rest of the game. I don't know the answer to this. It seems like it could but it may be tied in to other things. while it likely may be an oversight I wouldn't guarantee that.

we could also look at it optimistically and consider that it's intentional and a reward for making a Jem character.

where2r1 wrote: »

Top of the list of the Reps in the Reputation UI, is the Events Reputation.

I have been playing the game long enough to know that something is wrong when you run the race, earn the 40 Winter Prize Vouchers, you use it for the 40 Reputation Marks reward for the Exchange Winter Prize Voucher for marks Rep. mission.

Having already completed the 1000 Winter Prize Voucher (2018) mission for the Fek'lhri S'torr Warship with another character, of the 1000 vouchers, 40 was won with the race that that particular character had completed.

I am well aware that this particular character would have to wait 20 hours to race again.

For the Gorn, as I've said before had finished the 1 ornament to open the Winter Store. I would have done the race that night, but I had to log off 'til morning. When I logged back on, the quest sign was up for the Breen Race Coordinator, like I've said before, and I completed the race and earned the 40 vouchers.

But the Events Reputation missions were greyed out, as if there where no missions available, like the Exchange Winter Prize Vouchers for marks.

If it was working correctly, as it had for other characters of mine, the Gorn would have had the 40 marks.
This discussion has been closed.