test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online: Age of Discovery

Comments

• jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Well, Starfleet still doesn't, because she fails. And a Star Trek that doesn't allow a person to recover from its biggest failure would not feel right to me. And seeing a person pick herself or himself up from such a failure is of course a much more interesting story than seeing a perfect person staying perfect.

Military organizations (and as the Federation's only known Defense force that is what Starfleet is, like it or not) rely on the chain of command to function, and Mutiny strikes at the very core of that. What she did was unforgivable, especially since she could not present any extenuating circumstances that would have merited leniency from the Tribunal....which Spock, btw, was successfully able to do in The Menagerie. If they needed to have Burnham start, or fall, into the career crapper they should have come up with a situation that it was at least plausible for her to be able to redeem herself for. Usually that is due to some sort of bad command decision or screwup that wasn't a capital offense in and of itself.

It would also have helped if they had given people time to connect with her before she charged that windmill...doing something that stupid in the first episode doesn't make her interesting to me, or a lot of people from what I've seen.
    Well
    A. She didn't commit mutiny, by definition, she failed too. Not to mention Spock committed mutiny back in TOS.

It would depend on whether the Court found that she had completed the offense, albeit for only several minutes, before being subsequently confronted and arrested by the CO or not. In any case, the penalty for Attempted Mutiny is the same so the point is moot.

Spock successfully presented an affirmative defense, namely that he acted to relieve CAPT Pike's suffering by delivering him to the only people able to help him live with any kind of quality of life....which incidentally persuaded Starfleet Command to retroactively authorize taking Pike to Talos IV and not bring up Spock on charges to begin with. Remember, the Court Martial on Enterprise was a charade designed by the Talosians to keep Kirk distracted while the situation played out. As Commodore Mendez wasn't actually there, it was not a legal proceeding. A thin reed to be sure....but then we also had most of Season 1 to learn enough about Spock to accept that he did not take such a step lightly. Whereas Burnham pointlessly torched her career in episode 1 of TRIBBLE.

Another interesting difference is that Burnham seemed to be indifferent to the fact she was putting the entire Bridge Crew in jeopardy of being charged with "Failure to report or suppress a Mutiny", or worse, with Mutiny themselves....while Spock crafted his plan specifically to prevent anyone from going down for this but him. I know who I'd rather have for a XO (hint...it';s not Burnham).

B. Starfleet does fire first, and commits planetary genocide, and uses biological warfare to kill billions, and lets countless species die due to natural causes they could have prevented, and tons of other stuff.

That's a interesting admission, given what we know about about what the Federation is intended to represent in Star Trek, and TRIBBLE in particular....especially since it's so apt.

Post edited by jrdobbsjr#3264 on
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    I could have sworn TRIBBLE was supposed to 20 years AFTER Nemesis. I have not seen Discovery but have seen some vines about the Pro and Con of TRIBBLE. I listened to the audio of STLV about discovery and I for one will wait and see how well if at all it plays out. Changing ques to Task forces seemed at best far fetched but who knows. More grinding and another Rep to grind for. Yeah, NOT!

I am sorry but having a First Officer on the first Episode commit Mutiny is ****. Starfleet never fires first.

Star Trek Discovery is set 10 years before TOS even though it could easily be 20 years after Nemesis with a few minor changes like change the Klingons to some new alien race and remove all name drops. The season finale introduced the original Enterprise being commanded by Captain Pike instead of Captain Kirk. The new Star Trek series featuring Patrick Stewart that we know almost nothing about is set 20 years after Nemesis.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Well, Starfleet still doesn't, because she fails. And a Star Trek that doesn't allow a person to recover from its biggest failure would not feel right to me. And seeing a person pick herself or himself up from such a failure is of course a much more interesting story than seeing a perfect person staying perfect.

Military organizations (and as the Federation's only known Defense force that is what Starfleet is, like it or not) rely on the chain of command to function, and Mutiny strikes at the very core of that. What she did was unforgivable
    I dunno, Kirk was forgiven for ignoring Starfleet Command, stealing the Enterprise and sabotaging the Excelsior... So whatever you might think personally, Star Trek has already decided a few decades ago that ignoring lawful orders and comandeering ships can be forgiven, if you make up for it with some heroic deeds.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    I was afraid this would happen when Martok named T'Kuvma, Voq and L'rell had the end of the Home episodes. Please keep this abomination out of STO. Shitcovery is not even remotely Star Trek and as a Klingon fan it is even insulting to have another "event" aimed at the Blue side alone.

How do you know there won't be any KDF content?

Because there has been no Klingon only content for years all they get is the same fed storys which as a KDF player really grinds my gears same for Romulans. Perfect world can;t seem to juggle more than one faction so they picked the feds and the most content goes to them.

The only silver lining is because most people will be playing this as a fed I will not have to see those Klingon abominations on Quonos
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    > @mustrumridcully0 said:
    > jrdobbsjr#3264 wrote: »
    >
    > mustrumridcully0 wrote: »
    >
    > Well, Starfleet still doesn't, because she fails. And a Star Trek that doesn't allow a person to recover from its biggest failure would not feel right to me. And seeing a person pick herself or himself up from such a failure is of course a much more interesting story than seeing a perfect person staying perfect.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Military organizations (and as the Federation's only known Defense force that is what Starfleet is, like it or not) rely on the chain of command to function, and Mutiny strikes at the very core of that. What she did was unforgivable
    >
    >
    >
    > I dunno, Kirk was forgiven for ignoring Starfleet Command, stealing the Enterprise and sabotaging the Excelsior... So whatever you might think personally, Star Trek has already decided a few decades ago that ignoring lawful orders and comandeering ships can be forgiven, if you make up for it with some heroic deeds.

You mean when he came back to Earth and was given a court-martial after saving the planet? They gave him a reprimand and demoted him from admiral, but in return for a rather incredible performance saving the planet let him continue as captain.
    Not exactly free of repercussions, and he had a rather big redeeming act to his credit...I mean a really big redeeming act.
    > @mustrumridcully0 said:
    > jrdobbsjr#3264 wrote: »
    >
    > mustrumridcully0 wrote: »
    >
    > Well, Starfleet still doesn't, because she fails. And a Star Trek that doesn't allow a person to recover from its biggest failure would not feel right to me. And seeing a person pick herself or himself up from such a failure is of course a much more interesting story than seeing a perfect person staying perfect.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Military organizations (and as the Federation's only known Defense force that is what Starfleet is, like it or not) rely on the chain of command to function, and Mutiny strikes at the very core of that. What she did was unforgivable
    >
    >
    >
    > I dunno, Kirk was forgiven for ignoring Starfleet Command, stealing the Enterprise and sabotaging the Excelsior... So whatever you might think personally, Star Trek has already decided a few decades ago that ignoring lawful orders and comandeering ships can be forgiven, if you make up for it with some heroic deeds.

You mean when he came back to Earth and was given a court-martial after saving the planet? They gave him a reprimand and demoted him from admiral, but in return for a rather incredible performance saving the planet let him continue as captain.
    Not exactly free of repercussions, and he had a rather big redeeming act to his credit...I mean a really big redeeming act.

Well, Burnham was part of the team that ended the Federation-Klingon War, and in manner that stands up to the Federation's own ideals. And she actually served time, unlike Kirk.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    A war that they say she had a hand in starting, and yes WE know there are other reasons for the war, but to the tribunal at the CM, she appeared to be trying to start the war.
    And she was back serving on a ship well before any redeeming acts. Quite a few differences though I do understand where you're coming from, I just think that there's a pretty big difference between the two.

Besides (personal opinion) Kirk is awesome, she's annoying. ;-)
    reyan01 wrote: »
    A war that they say she had a hand in starting, and yes WE know there are other reasons for the war, but to the tribunal at the CM, she appeared to be trying to start the war.
    And she was back serving on a ship well before any redeeming acts. Quite a few differences though I do understand where you're coming from, I just think that there's a pretty big difference between the two.

Besides (personal opinion) Kirk is awesome, she's annoying. ;-)

As has been said before, she didn't start anything. It was going to happen anyway. She just wound up being a useful scapegoat.

And she wasn't convicted for starting a war, but for attemting a mutiny. It just isn't great for your reputation if you start a mutiny because you want to shoot at an enemy that you end up in a war with. And between a Captain that was trying hard to get a peaceful solution the non-shooty way, and an Admiral that was trying hard to get a peaceful soution the non-shooty way, which both end up dead, and an officer attempting a mutiny to start shooting at the Klingons and lives to see the day, she just doesn't look good.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Well, presumably the mutiny tribunal ended with them deciding her actions may not have been justified, but that she had a good reason for it.

Honestly, I really have to wonder why an ADMIRAL would be unfamiliar with the concept of the "Vulcan Hello".
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User
    Well, presumably the mutiny tribunal ended with them deciding her actions may not have been justified, but that she had a good reason for it.

Honestly, I really have to wonder why an ADMIRAL would be unfamiliar with the concept of the "Vulcan Hello".

Burham was unfamiliar with it until she spoke to Sarek. It's not something Vulcans were telling everyone else about. He even said:
    Sarek: "How did the Vulcans achieve diplomatic relations with the Klingons? That is a solution particular to us. One cannot assume it would work on a ship commanded by humans."

Burnham: "Sarek please."

Sarek: "I caution you, be considered with how you use this information. You cannot save lives that have already been lost."
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • roguehybrid#6481 roguehybrid Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I look forward to new content, as always.
  • alphaalias274alphaalias274 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Please don't. Discovery is a pretty awful show. Don't ruin a nice game like STO with content from it.
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Please don't. Discovery is a pretty awful show.
    In your opinion. I however don't agree and think it's great. My opinion is no more or less correct than yours.
    Don't ruin a nice game like STO with content from it.
    You don't speak on behalf of anyone but yourself.

I'm very much looking forward to the new content and don't think it'll "ruin STO" at all.

I watched Discovery until their mid-season break and then cancelled the app. Clearly a TRIBBLE ton of money and talent was thrown into the series, and it was a very cinematic show. Very pretty!

For any creative team to enter into an established property like Star Trek, it must be a daunting prospect. No doubt about that! But I am often surprised that nobody will take what can be done NOW with CGI, special effects and every other contemporary tool of the trade and apply that to reimagining the classic (antiquated) lore gear, sounds, costuming, etc. without making prequel era stories look like they more likely occurred long, long after the latest series setting?

Much of what is depicted in Discovery looks like it might have been more appropriate for an era long after Jean-Luc Picard passed away. That was my biggest problem with Discovery. I get that their intent was to put a different stamp on it, but I felt as if they leaned so far forward that they fell flat on their faces in the attempt.

I don't hate it however, and am open to whatever STO does with Age of Discovery. Maybe it will be interesting?
  • madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    Ignoring all the Discovery hate for a moment):

What I am hoping to see in "Age of Discovery"? - Some nice new Federation and Klingon ships from the show - hopefully fixes for the Discovery uniform and some additional parts (like the medical rank badges that were forgotten). Maybe an interior that could be used on ships, as well as BOF appropriate gear (phasers, tricorders and the like – like they did with the TOS era BOFs). Maybe all packed up in a similar way to what they did with "Agents of Yesterday." I'm hoping this stuff will be c-store, and not just random luck on a lock box.

The return of exploration type missions that feel like proper exploration - that would be awesome.

And I would like to thank Perfect World for continuing the mission they started with: to make STO the game where you can play Trek the way you want to.
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User

- hopefully fixes for the Discovery uniform and some additional parts (like the medical rank badges that were forgotten).

What is it about the STO Discovery suits exactly?
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    They should be fixing the Cardassian uniform since it clearly still has issues and also lacks the badge and ranking variants.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

- hopefully fixes for the Discovery uniform and some additional parts (like the medical rank badges that were forgotten).
    It doesn't have all the proper decorations. Also we can't do the white medical variant.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • papashlopapashlo Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Just because you slap the name 'Star Trek' on something doesn't make it official. Yes I know its comes from CBS as an official show but it has to be the worst show I have ever seen and it is so far off cannon it ridicules. I've been watching reruns of the original since the early 70's and have seen every movie and show that has so far been turned out since then.....even the fan based released shorts on YouTube which made Discovery look like 2nd grader produced the show.....even the 'Orville' stays closer to what star trek actually was than the garbage on Discovery. I've been playing this game since release but ill just find something else to play if that garbage is put on here.....knew it was just a matter of time.
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    patrickngo wrote: »
    robeasom wrote: »
    valoreah wrote: »
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    I was afraid this would happen when Martok named T'Kuvma, Voq and L'rell had the end of the Home episodes. Please keep this abomination out of STO. Shitcovery is not even remotely Star Trek and as a Klingon fan it is even insulting to have another "event" aimed at the Blue side alone.

How do you know there won't be any KDF content?

Because there has been no Klingon only content for years all they get is the same fed storys which as a KDF player really grinds my gears same for Romulans. Perfect world can;t seem to juggle more than one faction so they picked the feds and the most content goes to them.

The only silver lining is because most people will be playing this as a fed I will not have to see those Klingon abominations on Quonos

snort..giggle..guffaw..HAHAAAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAAAAHAHAHAHAAAHAAAHAHAAHAAHAAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAH!!!

god, my ribs hurt and you owe me a new keyboard.

of course you will. there are PLENTY of players who grab on to the latest costumebits, regardless of where it came from or how it looks, including in the KDF faction, along with Fed fans who have KDF farming alts, and support Discovery.

depending on push from CBS, you might log in and find almost all of the NPCs wandering around Qo'noS have been replaced by Klingorks.

And that would be wrong?

The assertion that you won't SEE them is wrong. you will, guaranteed. how you react to it is a personal decision only you can make, but yes, you'll see Discovery's Klingorks on Qo'noS, and you'll likely see LOTS of them.

Well, I don't think it's impossible to avoid them - but the fact is you'd have to work very hard to avoid them - as in, no cross-faction ground PvE, avoiding any social zone that's cross-faction and avoiding the new content ;)

Well, there is the cold turkey method...
    edited August 2018

It doesn't have all the proper decorations. Also we can't do the white medical variant.

Actually you can do the white medical variant. Keep the silver you use for science, and then use a white for the clothes, and a light grey for the boots. Other than the colour their is no physical difference between the medical whites and the duty blues. Yes the rank badges are missing - use the science ones for the time being.

Cryptic have a looooonnnnngggg history of taking their time to sort out uniform issues. The TWOK uniforms originally only had the captain's rank emblem, and no other. Others have been added over time, but it still remains incomplete as it's missing the ensigns rank (which is in game, and can be seen in certain missions, it's just not available to players). The TOS uniforms originally didn't have any other rank than LT JG. Over time this has been corrected. Like all MMO in the world graphic fixes can take a while.

papashlo wrote: »
    Just because you slap the name 'Star Trek' on something doesn't make it official. Yes I know its comes from CBS as an official show but it has to be the worst show I have ever seen and it is so far off cannon it ridicules. I've been watching reruns of the original since the early 70's and have seen every movie and show that has so far been turned out since then.....even the fan based released shorts on YouTube which made Discovery look like 2nd grader produced the show.....even the 'Orville' stays closer to what star trek actually was than the garbage on Discovery. I've been playing this game since release but ill just find something else to play if that garbage is put on here.....knew it was just a matter of time.

The level of butt-hurt here is funny. Mate, you're NOT the only person who has watched Star Trek for a long time. I've watched it since the start; TOS, TAS, TMP, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, JJ, DSC - all of it. And, wow! Snap! I've been playing STO since the beta and watched how the game has developed over the years and over time.

You know what I love about this MMO? The fact you can play Trek the way YOU want to play it. TNG? No problems. DS9? No issue. Voyager? Enterprise? Absolutely doable. TMP? oh yes. TOS - fantastically well. You even have JJ Trek stuff. It's amazing that you have the choice to play Trek the way YOU want to play it. It's ambitious for an MMO that's based on a 50 year plus show with multiple franchises, that they've been able to do that. No matter what flavour of Trek - it's here for you. And the stuff you don't like? You don't have to use. Man it's just awesome to have that choice.

And this is where I have the problem with the rants I have seen on this thread. And lets be honest, they are nothing more than childish rants from self-entitled people. If you had your way you would take that choice away from us. You would take away the ability to play a game, a GAME, the way we like, because... Because you don't like something.

I don't like JJ Trek. I think it's awful. Yes, I have seen the films, all three of them. I don't like them. I could spend hours, days - god years - over what I don't like about them. But what's the point? All it would be is my personal opinion. Other's do like it, others think those films are fantastic. It's exactly the sort of Trek they like. It doesn't make them stupid, or less Trek fans to like them - it's just a side of Trek that THEY like. And before you leap in and say, but JJ Trek isn't canon... Yes it is. Because of Spock. Because those three films touch on the fate of Spock, from his disappearance in the "prime" universe to his death in an alterative one. Live and live, if they want to play that content in game - I'm not going to stop them, or protest against it. If they add more JJ stuff, fine... adding more content is good in the long run for an MMO. It keeps it alive.

And because you (and so many others) weren't paying attention to how Age of Discovery is going to work - let's make it clear again; AOD will offer you an option to start a new character and play through a Discovery based story arc before being catapulted to the 25th Century and then play through the Fed mission line. You know, like they did with Agents of Yesterday. Gear, ships, uniforms? Don't like 'em? You don't have to use them. No one is going to force you to.

That's the point. You will have the same choice you have now: to play Trek the way you want to play Trek. Just have the good grace to allow the rest of us to do the same thing.

People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
  • notagain#5499 notagain Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    I would partially disagree with translating/graphics/effects or whatever to Star Trek Discovery. "we’ll be updating the game in line with a currently airing". It seems we step forward then backwards too much in this game, that I don't' even think Temporal Agents want to bother with their job anymore.

What I really wish you would do instead is expand on the content that is already there. I don't know why the conflict with the Hurq and the addition of the Dominion lasted about 8 missions/quest. I would prefer you take a new season and develop stories so it last a year in real time. It feels like I am reading Cliff Notes (those yellow books that one could use to find our all they needed to know about a book assigned to read). Here is Hurq. Here is Odo and Jem's. They fight, secret revealed, save founders, end of story.

The other problem with Discovery as a basis is that not everyone is watching it nor paying to watch it. It is the first Star Trek in which you pay a fee to watch while there is also the basic CBS that you get with your cable company. I refuse to support these new ways of serving content. Yes for some it is called cable cutting. However every network is trying to grab its own piece of the subscription pie and use the best they have to sell the service. So (there aren't any real stats that I can quote right now so some of this is assumption) since I am sure not many are willing to pay they really have to depend on third party sources to see episodes or other sites that have clips of what goes on in the show. We haven't even touched on the change of the Klingon look. I would think the Klingons are tired of appearing as those who overuse botox and face lifts (ha ha). I assume I not the only person who feels this way that the the Star Trek Discovery Klingons just don't fit the whole Star Trek theme.

Tier 6 leaves the question as to what it will cost in terms of resources (dil, expertise, ec,marks, etc.). We have way too many reputation projects currently. Just trying to get your Jem toon up to date on all of these really is acting like a grind, however you did at least gave us good starting gear but in the end is replaced with r/d gear and salvage/change mods. Having to add that to every reputation to me is just going to make any new character take forever to develop. While the possiblities as one person mentioned that finishing Tier 6 Rep, would unlock all the gear for other toons on the account sound great but then that takes the fun out of developing a new character (yes sounds like I am pulling to the left and to the right at the same time or positive and negative, however you look at it) also I am half asleep when I read the AOD this fall notice (so the grammar might be bad in my post - sorry feel need to say something).

The other thing, coming from someone who has served in our countries military (USMC) I can no longer tell who is friend or foe,l who should be there and who shouldn't. There should be more accidental attack on friendlies and foes strictly from the standpoint of cross ships and cross factions and cross of almost everything. I worry Discovery will bring more of that, no way to truly knowing friend from foe other than they won't appear on your factions homebase (at least for Fed and KDF, don't remember what happens on New Romulus or the Dominion)

I beg of you not to change the game to fall in line with AOD series. It would not be the best choice of direction to take. Also it sounds too much like Agents of Yesterday. A few episodes and then you are now part of STO current time. To me at least I feel this change could simply break the game (not in terms of the program working or not but in terms of the gameplay and fun). If this series was not a subscription based program but anyone could turn in on their local CBS affiliate at no extra charge I can see people at least being able to see some possibilities but not right now. The tech in the current game has been so rubber rebounded, will the AOD mean that gear will be better than what came before it in STO.

Please expand on current storylines and crossovers. Ironically I play your NWN and there are people on both STO and NWN who have suggest some sort of weird space phenom that causes the two universes to cross. The idea of going against the Tiamat (sp) with a battle cruiser sounds absolutely funny but not at all functional. Perhaps they land in the NWN timeline where their phasers stop working and they have to adapt in their own alcove with other races from the STO universe and have to decide if they are going to have their own enclave of other STO crossovers who now have to trade phaser auto-rifles for swords and shields. As I said just a crazy thought.

In the end I don't know if I will like the future based off of your first post. Maybe the first post was too short on the exact details. So maybe I need to reserve judgement till more is released about it. However I can only add my (lets see what change is at my computer, found a quarter and a nickle) in saying please take more time on this possible change. Test out various changes on your test/tribble servers and actually ask for feedback and get a large majority of current users onto those test servers to give you that feedback, please!

Take your time, I am sure we can go without another "season" for a while, as you work more on the possible impacts of AOD falling in line with STO (of course maybe your hands are tied due to the ownership of the Star Trek franchise) while also opening up new fronts in many of the seasons you have put out already.
    I would partially disagree with translating/graphics/effects or whatever to Star Trek Discovery. "we’ll be updating the game in line with a currently airing". It seems we step forward then backwards too much in this game, that I don't' even think Temporal Agents want to bother with their job anymore.

What I really wish you would do instead is expand on the content that is already there. I don't know why the conflict with the Hurq and the addition of the Dominion lasted about 8 missions/quest. I would prefer you take a new season and develop stories so it last a year in real time. It feels like I am reading Cliff Notes (those yellow books that one could use to find our all they needed to know about a book assigned to read). Here is Hurq. Here is Odo and Jem's. They fight, secret revealed, save founders, end of story.

The other problem with Discovery as a basis is that not everyone is watching it nor paying to watch it. It is the first Star Trek in which you pay a fee to watch while there is also the basic CBS that you get with your cable company. I refuse to support these new ways of serving content. Yes for some it is called cable cutting. However every network is trying to grab its own piece of the subscription pie and use the best they have to sell the service. So (there aren't any real stats that I can quote right now so some of this is assumption) since I am sure not many are willing to pay they really have to depend on third party sources to see episodes or other sites that have clips of what goes on in the show. We haven't even touched on the change of the Klingon look. I would think the Klingons are tired of appearing as those who overuse botox and face lifts (ha ha). I assume I not the only person who feels this way that the the Star Trek Discovery Klingons just don't fit the whole Star Trek theme.

Tier 6 leaves the question as to what it will cost in terms of resources (dil, expertise, ec,marks, etc.). We have way too many reputation projects currently. Just trying to get your Jem toon up to date on all of these really is acting like a grind, however you did at least gave us good starting gear but in the end is replaced with r/d gear and salvage/change mods. Having to add that to every reputation to me is just going to make any new character take forever to develop. While the possiblities as one person mentioned that finishing Tier 6 Rep, would unlock all the gear for other toons on the account sound great but then that takes the fun out of developing a new character (yes sounds like I am pulling to the left and to the right at the same time or positive and negative, however you look at it) also I am half asleep when I read the AOD this fall notice (so the grammar might be bad in my post - sorry feel need to say something).

The other thing, coming from someone who has served in our countries military (USMC) I can no longer tell who is friend or foe,l who should be there and who shouldn't. There should be more accidental attack on friendlies and foes strictly from the standpoint of cross ships and cross factions and cross of almost everything. I worry Discovery will bring more of that, no way to truly knowing friend from foe other than they won't appear on your factions homebase (at least for Fed and KDF, don't remember what happens on New Romulus or the Dominion)

I beg of you not to change the game to fall in line with AOD series. It would not be the best choice of direction to take. Also it sounds too much like Agents of Yesterday. A few episodes and then you are now part of STO current time. To me at least I feel this change could simply break the game (not in terms of the program working or not but in terms of the gameplay and fun). If this series was not a subscription based program but anyone could turn in on their local CBS affiliate at no extra charge I can see people at least being able to see some possibilities but not right now. The tech in the current game has been so rubber rebounded, will the AOD mean that gear will be better than what came before it in STO.

Please expand on current storylines and crossovers. Ironically I play your NWN and there are people on both STO and NWN who have suggest some sort of weird space phenom that causes the two universes to cross. The idea of going against the Tiamat (sp) with a battle cruiser sounds absolutely funny but not at all functional. Perhaps they land in the NWN timeline where their phasers stop working and they have to adapt in their own alcove with other races from the STO universe and have to decide if they are going to have their own enclave of other STO crossovers who now have to trade phaser auto-rifles for swords and shields. As I said just a crazy thought.

In the end I don't know if I will like the future based off of your first post. Maybe the first post was too short on the exact details. So maybe I need to reserve judgement till more is released about it. However I can only add my (lets see what change is at my computer, found a quarter and a nickle) in saying please take more time on this possible change. Test out various changes on your test/tribble servers and actually ask for feedback and get a large majority of current users onto those test servers to give you that feedback, please!

Take your time, I am sure we can go without another "season" for a while, as you work more on the possible impacts of AOD falling in line with STO (of course maybe your hands are tied due to the ownership of the Star Trek franchise) while also opening up new fronts in many of the seasons you have put out already.

That's just another way of saying "I don't want this content in the game because..." I also think it's a little insulting to suggest that the Devs haven't thought about how to integrate it all properly within the game, of course it's all being tested. That goes without saying. Don't assume it can't be done just because you can't see a way to do it, or you don't want it in game.

You missed the point that NOTHING is being taken away from the game, that this is new content. You won't have to use it if you don't want to, nothing is going to be forced on you.

As for how the show is broadcast: CBS All Access in the USA and Netflix round the rest of the world. That's how you can watch Discovery. It has an audience. It has a following. It has fans. They are not numbered in single, double, or just triple digits. Millions of people around the world watched it. Streaming services are the way shows are being made now. Trek has never actually been free. You pay for it in one form or another. This is just more direct. Don't like it? Tough the industry has changed, and Trek has moved with the times. This is the only way shows like this can get made now. Where do you think the new Picard based series is going to be shown? CBS All Access (and Netflix for the rest of the world).

For Gene's sake; please stop with the excuses as to why AOD shouldn't happen. We get it, you don't like it. You don't want it. Fine. But this game isn't just for you. What about the other people that play it? You don't speak for them all (and more than I do).

Stop finding excuses to hate.
  • loganmercuryloganmercury Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I hope the game has an explanation for the horrible redentions of Klingons as portrayed in the CBS show. Please leave the Klingons in the proper canon of the Trek Universe.
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > loganmercury wrote: »
    >
    > I hope the game has an explanation for the horrible redentions of Klingons as portrayed in the CBS show. Please leave the Klingons in the proper canon of the Trek Universe.
    >
    >
    >
    > You mean the Klingons that look basically the same as they did in TNG/DS9/VOY except for the fact they are bald?

Exactly!