test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Game crashes on clicking "Engage".

OK, thi is just a long shot. I stoped playing STO in March 2017 after the DirectX patch meant it was no longer compatible with my computer - my graphics card won't do more than DX10. But I was looking at the forums recently a propos of something else, and it seemed to me that people were saying that it SHOULD work with DX10. So I thought it was worth giving it one last try and seeing if any of the things suggested for getting past the DX error message when it doesn't apply would work.

Downloaded enormous 5GB patch, which didn't really surprise me given how long it had been since I last ran the program. Patch finally completed; I clicked on "Engage", and the launcher disappeared and nothing further happened. No error message, nothing. Task Manager confirmed that no STO-related processes were running at all. I've tried a couple of times with the same result.

If you know this one or know what it might be about please can you let me know?

Specs: Windows Vista (I mostly use Linux these days but that doesn't wanna play at all, can't even get it to load the launcher - Wine gives a different error message every time depending which version of Windows I set it to mimic). 4GB RAM. Graphics card is Intel Mobile Chipset 4.

Comments

• guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    I can't say what could help with Windows, but on Linux the game works on version on Wine 3.1. Higher versions are a bit choppy for me (could be different for you, though), and lower don't render visuals properly or don't work at all.

With 4 GB you probably won't get far. I can't get far with 8 GB, and still crash a lot, mostly on ground due to light changes and higher requirements from hardware due to that. Ironically, for me the game is more stable on Linux.
  • wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    Thanks very much, that's certainly interesting. I can't find Wine 3.1 available to download, how did you get it? (My Linux is 64-bit so according to someone in Wine's IRC channel it needs to be the 64-bit edition of Wine).

I've tried PlayOnLinux, too, but that only wants to talk about installing programs from scratch and doesn't display my existing STO installation. And redownloading STO from scratch on my connection would be I don't know how many hours, I can't be bothered. There isn't a way to get PlayOnLinux to open an already installed program, is there?
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    launcher -- optns -- save mode -- login --- (launcher) optns save mode , 32bit

game optns

36189309_10156238335772850_4444681034075734016_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=438bc4f0cc1070ce29fa4fc7aa74270e&oe=5BEB4FC3
  • wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    Sorry, Garaks, I can't understand your instructions. Please explain? I got as far as trying safe mode in the launcher options, but can't see any mention of 32-bit, either in safe mode or in ordinary mode. As for options in the game itself, no point talking abotu that yet because thus far I can't get that far! Besides, I'm not sure whether we're talking about the same thing. What I was really talking about was that I need a 64-bit version of Wine itself, according to somebody I spoke to anyway.

Current situation is that I've managed to upgrade my Wine installation (which turned out to be 1.6!) to 3.0.1, which is what the official website had as the "latest stable version" for my version of Linux. On that, the launcher loads but hangs endlessly at "Version ST.87.2018.so and so...". Closer, but not there yet.

Gonna try asking on a Linux forum about how to get a copy of Wine 3.1 for 64-bit Linux. Also considering trying the official "latest development version" (i.e. the beta release) to see whether that cracks it, although that's not 3.1 either but 3.11. Bother the thing.