test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A race more nightmarish than the Borg

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    Starfleet isn't in the business of ordering suicide missions casually. Or at all that I recall. Klingons might be more willing due to death with honor stuff, especially if they take out a huge chunk of the enemy with them.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    Biomolecular phasers and torpedoes could have an effect on the Tyranids, after all they are totally organic even down the hive fleets. Take out the Norn Queen's ship and you might just stand a chance, but expect severe losses if you hope to stop the Nids in space.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      Hm... yea... the Nanite Torpedos Voyager made for use against the Undine could be modded to work on the 'Nids.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • Options
      jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
      rattler2 wrote: »
      gradii wrote: »
      Each universe has its own rules. there is no comparison possible, no way to actually know who would win. But Starfleet VS Cylons I have my money on starfleet. They'd be in Phaser-torpedo range long before the cylons were in Computer takeover range.

Not only that, if we're talking post Wolf 359 Federation... Not only would the Cylons have to contend with a far more advanced computer system than they're used to... there are protocols in place to try and slow down a Borg computer takeover, which would drop an anvil on any Cylon intrusion. Even networked, Federation computer systems would probably baffle the Cylons to no end. Especially those with Bio-Neural circuitry.
      There's also the fact that the Cylons weren't hacking systems in real time - a Six managed to get Gaius Baltar to install a backdoor on every new security system his company installed, and they had the contract to update all the Colonial Fleet's computer systems. All the Cylons needed to do, really, was send out a short pulse to access the backdoor. That's why they couldn't hack into Galactica's formerly-mothballed squadron of Mark II Vipers, and why the crew was able to make the Mark VIIs safe.

The one time they tried, when it was briefly necessary to network Galactica's systems, the humans managed to get the necessary computations done and the network shut down again before the Cylons could access the system. I don't see modern Starfleet counterintrusion systems has having much difficulty with that at all.
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    • Options
      starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      edited June 2018
      I wouldn't expect the Cylons to be able to hack Federation computer systems at all, for much the same reason Windows software doesn't work on Android without substantial recoding and recompiling. The Cylons and Colonies at least share a common computing ancestry, but the Federation's computers descend from a separately evolved civilization from tens of thousands of years in their future.
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    • Options
      starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
      starswordc wrote: »
      I wouldn't expect the Cylons to be able to hack Federation computer systems at all, for much the same reason Windows software doesn't work on Android without substantial recoding and recompiling. The Cylons and Colonies at least share a common computing ancestry, but the Federation's computers descend from a separately evolved civilization from tens of thousands of years in their future.

Which made the virus scene in Independence Day to be the most idiotic part of that movie or at least to anyone with a decent amount of experience in Computer Programming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuQJd1rzres
    • Options
      Hehe... take a look at the little Earthlings...
    • Options
      starkaos wrote: »

Which made the virus scene in Independence Day to be the most idiotic part of that movie or at least to anyone with a decent amount of experience in Computer Programming.

I always figured they were trying to tell us something about Steve Wozniak - the Apple OS is completely incompatible with Windows PCs, but slides right into an alien computer system...
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    • Options
      azrael605 wrote: »
      On Andromeda there was a weapon called the Point Singularity Projector or as Harper called it a Black Hole Gun.

Sounds a bit like Wing Commander's Phase Transit Cannon, that was equipped on the Confederation class Dreadnoughts.
    • Options
      Magog, those are a nightmare race but at least you can kill them with relative ease. They just swarm you with sheer mass of teeth and claws, (when facing Magog, save the last round for yourself because trust me you are doing yourself a favor)
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      • Options
        markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
        Each universe has its own rules. there is no comparison possible, no way to actually know who would win. But Starfleet VS Cylons I have my money on starfleet. They'd be in Phaser-torpedo range long before the cylons were in Computer takeover range.
        The Cylons also rely on nukes, missiles, and guns, and lack any form of shielding against energy weapons. Wouldn't be a fair fight at all.

Idk anything about the Tyranids everyone's talking about, but I still say many Federation worlds would fall to the Zerg Swarm if it was able to crossover into the Trek universe, and millions of people would become infested in the process.
        I have it on good authority that Sarah Kerrigan, the Queen of Blades is a kind and generous monarch. :p
        -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
        My character Tsin'xing
        Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
      • Options

Actually... it's not. the puny Human is using a human designed terminal to control an alien computer, and the alien computer then sends the virus.

Seriously, the scene doesn't require his laptop to directly communicate with the mainframe. It works just fine if the actual work is being done by the computer in the space ship they flew to get there. You gotta remember that the ship was REPAIRED by Humans. that means they've had time to figure out how it's computers are coded.
        -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
        My character Tsin'xing
      • Options
        Seriously, the scene doesn't require his laptop to directly communicate with the mainframe. It works just fine if the actual work is being done by the computer in the space ship they flew to get there. You gotta remember that the ship was REPAIRED by Humans. that means they've had time to figure out how it's computers are coded.

Not only that, Jeff Goldblum's character had technically unlocked a piece of their tech when he decoded the repeating signal.

I just figured he used the laptop as an interface device. He's familiar with that particular design so it would be easier to write code on the fly. It would be no different than using a Tricorder to interface with an alien console.
      • Options

Actually... it's not. the puny Human is using a human designed terminal to control an alien computer, and the alien computer then sends the virus.

Except that none of the onboard systems worked until the mothership entered orbit.

"...until a couple of days ago, when it - woke up."

So unless Levinson could write an expert viral attack based on studying an alien operating system for at most a few hours, that was transmitted directly from a MacBook into the mothership. Which, like I said, maybe tells us something important about the Woz...
        Lorna-Wing-sig.png
      • Options
        starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
        edited June 2018
        In contrast, Stargate had the excuse that they'd been studying the gate systems for decades and more or less knew what they were doing before starting up Stargate Command. (And they even had an early episode based on the plot hole that, even without having any valid gate addresses, trial-and-error dialing should have gotten a lock at some point.) In turn they could h*ck Goa'uld systems because they were based on the same programming architecture as the gate.

It's also said, realistically, that the humans' system is pretty inefficient compared to an Ancient DHD: slower to dial and uses a lot more power. (Though it has advantages, too, like being able to install the iris and various other security systems, and letting them keep a far larger library of gate addresses and dial them from the computer, rather than hand-dialing every time.)
        Post edited by starswordc on
        "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
        — Sabaton, "Great War"
        VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
      • Options
        ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
        There is a more nightmarish species:

https://youtu.be/J5wmw_Ro4pM

:)
        'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
        Judge Dan Haywood
        'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
        l don't know.
        l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
        That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
        Lt. Philip J. Minns
      • Options
        casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
        binx.PNG

Check-mate.
      • Options
        edited June 2018
        I'd rather go fight a horde of greenskins
        NMXb2ph.png
        • Options
          It's also said, realistically, that the humans' system is pretty inefficient compared to an Ancient DHD: slower to dial and uses a lot more power. (Though it has advantages, too, like being able to install the iris and various other security systems, and letting them keep a far larger library of gate addresses and dial them from the computer, rather than hand-dialing every time.)

Very true. They cobbled together their own dialing computer. The DHDs are reliant on user memory. And the only way you could get anything like an iris shield is either a seperate device or a system like on Atlantis. The Jumpers might have a database but you still have to manually input the symbols. Same with the Atlantis computer.

So in a way the SGC computer is both inferior and superior in different areas. Also... Milky Way gates can actually be manually dialed if it has enough power. You just need the strength to actually move the unlocked ring to the appropriate symbols. Pegasus gates don't have that ability, and I seriously doubt the Destiny gates could. Hell... they're actually the squishiest gates ever. Weapons fire can blow off chunks of the Destiny gates, while it doesn't even phase even Milky Way gates.
        • Options
          evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
          The Cylons also rely on nukes, missiles, and guns, and lack any form of shielding against energy weapons. Wouldn't be a fair fight at all.

Idk anything about the Tyranids everyone's talking about, but I still say many Federation worlds would fall to the Zerg Swarm if it was able to crossover into the Trek universe, and millions of people would become infested in the process.
          I have it on good authority that Sarah Kerrigan, the Queen of Blades is a kind and generous monarch. :p

Except Kerrigan became a Xel'Naga and left the swarm to Zagara, a former broodmother
          Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
          eaY7Xxu.png
        • Options
          But the fact remains, back when she was the Primal Queen of Blades, she was generous and friendly. Unless you got on her bad side. THEN you got the full fury of the Swarm.
        • Options
          Didn't the Ancients have remote controls for the gates? IIRC those could store addresses and transmit them remotely.
          -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
          My character Tsin'xing
        • Options

Except Kerrigan became a Xel'Naga and left the swarm to Zagara, a former broodmother
          Zagara was a hand-picked successor that Kerrigan felt was worthy to rule the Zerg in her absence.
          -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
          My character Tsin'xing
        • Options
          azrael605 wrote: »

To answer the question though, yes the ancients had a dialing device they could wear like a glove and open a gate with a swipe of the finger, first seen in the episode 1969 IIRC.

There was also the KINO remotes aboard Destiny, that also acted like a handheld DHD.