test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A race more nightmarish than the Borg

theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=intJPrVtNh4
If these appeared in the Trek universe (prime or mirror), bye bye galaxy.
NMXb2ph.png
    "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
    -Lord Commander Solar Macharius

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
      Eh... the prevelance of energy weapons and more maneuverable ships would be a balancing factor honestly. The Imperium likes its projectiles, especially the Space Marines. And on top of that, By the time the Imperium or any other Warhammer race that relies on the Warp for FTL travel can respond, its too late, because if I recall correctly, a Tyranid Hive Fleet has a natural form of Interdiction Field around them preventing travel through the Warp.

On the other hand, that Interdiction Field would have no impact on Warp Drives that use Subspace such as that used in Star Trek. Response times would be MUCH faster, and I'm pretty sure the more maneuverable Trek ships would be able to fly circles around most 'Nid ships. Also factions like the Federation aren't afraid to ally with other races in the face of a greater threat. The Imperium, on the other hand, is so xenophobic that even with the threat of the 'Nids it would probably take A LOT to even have a garrison or Space Marine chapter CONSIDER allying with anyone.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
      rattler2 wrote: »
      Eh... the prevelance of energy weapons and more maneuverable ships would be a balancing factor honestly. The Imperium likes its projectiles, especially the Space Marines. And on top of that, By the time the Imperium or any other Warhammer race that relies on the Warp for FTL travel can respond, its too late, because if I recall correctly, a Tyranid Hive Fleet has a natural form of Interdiction Field around them preventing travel through the Warp.

On the other hand, that Interdiction Field would have no impact on Warp Drives that use Subspace such as that used in Star Trek. Response times would be MUCH faster, and I'm pretty sure the more maneuverable Trek ships would be able to fly circles around most 'Nid ships. Also factions like the Federation aren't afraid to ally with other races in the face of a greater threat. The Imperium, on the other hand, is so xenophobic that even with the threat of the 'Nids it would probably take A LOT to even have a garrison or Space Marine chapter CONSIDER allying with anyone.

It has been known to happen, the Imperium had to ally with the Blueberries (Tau) to deal with one hive fleet. What makes the nids scary is their ability to adapt and create new Tyranid types to deal with a specific problem. What the Trek universe has to be more concerned about is the Lichtors and Genestealers who are ahead of the hive fleets.
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
        My vote is for the Zerg Swarm, I think they'd give the Alpha + Beta quadrants a lot of trouble. The Flood are the worst imo, but their reliance on other species for space travel capabilities makes them less of a threat.
        Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
        eaY7Xxu.png
      • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
        IIRC (and I may not - never played 40K), the Warp shares a problem with Halo's slipspace - there's very little control over when you come out. (I recall a tale told on TVTropes, of an ork chieftain whose ship emerged several years before it had departed. He hunted down and killed his younger self so he could have two copies of his favorite weapon.) So subspace-warp ships shouldn't have that much problem dealing with 40K invaders, if only because fleet actions are easier when you know your fleet will be together when it's supposed to be.

Also, Starfleet has no issues with alliances in order to defeat a foe. Currently, the entire Alpha and Beta Quadrants are in alliance, with the notable exceptions of the Breen, Tzenkethi, and Borg - mostly against the Breen, Tzenkethi, and Borg, as it happens, but now they're in a good position to deal with the Hur'q, especially since the Dominion seems to want to join the fray on the side of the Alliance.
        Lorna-Wing-sig.png
      • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
        jonsills wrote: »
        IIRC (and I may not - never played 40K), the Warp shares a problem with Halo's slipspace - there's very little control over when you come out. (I recall a tale told on TVTropes, of an ork chieftain whose ship emerged several years before it had departed. He hunted down and killed his younger self so he could have two copies of his favorite weapon.)

Wouldn't that create a paradox? So if he hunted down his younger self for another weapon, then he wouldn't be able to travel to the past since his older self killed him . Hunting down a parallel version of your younger self wouldn't cause a paradox. I prefer the concept of time travel just being dimensional travel to a parallel universe that looks like the past since all potential paradoxes are removed.
      • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
        edited June 2018
        On the other hand, the Federation seems to have trouble remembering how to deal effectively with alien infiltrations. The major problem with the tyranids (besides their sheer godawful numbers) is that they like to "prepare the way" decades ahead of time by infesting target worlds with genestealer cults that slowly subvert the local government and institutions to the hive mind's will, and can spread to nearby worlds by ship.

This is quite apart from the fact that the Alpha/Beta Quadrant nations are collectively tiny by 40k standards, even compared to the Tau Empire: the game map covers basically the same area as Geoffrey Mandel's Star Charts, whose section of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants is merely a cross-section 1500 LY in diameter. Whereas, well, this is what's following Hive Fleet Leviathan, which invaded the 40k galaxy in M41.997:
        LeviathanAttack.jpg

Bearing in mind that the Imperium of Man hasn't even defeated Hive Fleet Leviathan, yet: they just diverted the main body of the invasion into ork-controlled sectors where they'll be stalemated for a while. So yeah, you thought the Iconians and Heralds were bad news?

EDIT: Fact fix.
        "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
        — Sabaton, "Great War"
        VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
      • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
        Oh...I thought this was another thread about the Jem'Hadar Vanguard. I should of looked at the category.
        "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
        edited June 2018
        Leviathan was defeated in the Baal System by the old Blood Angels Legion led by Commander Dante after they were relieved by the Indomitus Crusade led by the Ultramarines Primarch Roboute Guilliman in M42. The Blood Angels and all their successor chapters were on the point of being wiped out at one point.

The Ultramarines only just defeated Behemoth at Macragge by a narrow margin in late M41, their entire First Company was wiped out to a man
        NMXb2ph.png
          edited June 2018
          drashinwar_by_bloodrave1984-db384ts.jpg
          Even the Imperial Fists have had their problems with the Nids.
          Now put Federation or Terran troops in those Marine's positions, they would not stand a chance
          NMXb2ph.png
            > @theraven2378 said:
            > Leviathan was defeated in the Baal System by the old Blood Angels Legion led by Commander Dante after they were relieved by the Indomitus Crusade led by the Ultramarines Primarch Roboute Guilliman in M42. The Blood Angels and all their successor chapters were on the point of being wiped out at one point.

I think you have your history crossed. http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Hive_Fleet_Leviathan
            "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
            — Sabaton, "Great War"
            VZ9ASdg.png

edited June 2018
            starswordc wrote: »
            > @theraven2378 said:
            > Leviathan was defeated in the Baal System by the old Blood Angels Legion led by Commander Dante after they were relieved by the Indomitus Crusade led by the Ultramarines Primarch Roboute Guilliman in M42. The Blood Angels and all their successor chapters were on the point of being wiped out at one point.

I think you have your history crossed. http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Hive_Fleet_Leviathan
            http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Devastation_of_Baal
            latest?cb=20180510015640
            https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/7/76/BA_vs._Tyranids.png/revision/latest?cb=20141229170624

NMXb2ph.png
              Australian Cockroaches.

Nuff said.

Everything is a nightmare in Australia, those who are scared of spiders and snakes, it's designed to drive you mad
              NMXb2ph.png
                Have a planet that the 'Nids have conquered and are stripping? Drop a Protomatter Bomb. No more 'Nids.
                Got a hive fleet? Launch a Red Matter Torpedo. BOOM! Black Hole and no Hive Fleet.
                B)
                db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
                I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
                The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
                > @rattler2 said:
                > Have a planet that the 'Nids have conquered and are stripping? Drop a Protomatter Bomb. No more 'Nids.
                > Got a hive fleet? Launch a Red Matter Torpedo. BOOM! Black Hole and no Hive Fleet.
                > B)

Funnily enough, the former is similar to part of what Lord Inquisitor Kryptman did to delay Hive Fleet Leviathan: he issued Exterminatus orders against a series of worlds along one of the hive's invasion routes to create a firebreak.

The problem with the black hole idea is rooted in the same scale problems that plague Abrams's sci-fi. Black holes aren't magic space vacuum cleaners, their gravity is dependent on the actual mass of their singularity. Contrary to popular culture, the diameter of a black hole's gravity well is not any WIDER than that of a normal object of the same mass. I.e. if you were standing in the corona of a 10 solar mass star and it magically transformed into a black hole, the pull of gravity you would feel if you stayed at the same distance from the center of the object would not change from before the transformation. (And that was a very difficult sentence to compose, lol.) Also, gravity effects are just as limited by the speed of light as anything else is. Maybe you'd eat whatever splinter fleet happened to be eating that particular star system but the bulk of the hive fleet would hardly notice.
                — Sabaton, "Great War"
                VZ9ASdg.png

Yea... but you'd also have to be able to SURVIVE yourself.
              • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
                edited June 2018
                Niven had a proposed horror weapon, which fortunately was only employed a few times (it destroyed itself after Bey Shaeffer cut the coolant line): a quantum singularity with a magnetic charge. A modified ramscoop was used to direct it along a path; initially, it would be used to take the hyperdrives out of FTL craft entering Sol system (the steep gravity well makes the hyperdrive wrap around itself and go... elsewhere), then after the passengers and crew were relieved of their valuables, they and their ship would be fed into it. He also had a wandering neutron star that the trinocs thought was being employed by humans in a similar way (the trinocs find racial paranoia to be a survival trait).

So, Trek-style, find yourself a nice massive chunk of neutron star, then use tractor beams to swing it through an enemy craft. Everything it touches, and for a certain distance around, becomes another extremely thin layer added onto its surface. There is no defense, as it's the densest substance that's possible in the universe - anything denser is a singularity.

Or, more practically, lure the enemy into a nebula, then detonate a Genesis device. You eliminate the enemy, and leave yourselves a nice planet that the Lukari can help you stabilize.
                Lorna-Wing-sig.png
                Unfortunately there's a bit of a problem with neutron star chunks as weapons. Without the gravity of a neutron star to keep it pressurized, the neutrons pretty quickly decay into a proton and an electron. Neutronium taken outside of a neutron star would be a good source of hydrogen but not much else.
                — Sabaton, "Great War"
                VZ9ASdg.png

• alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
                I'm only slightly familiar with W40K, but from what I understand there's an important difference between the people of that universe and the people of Star Trek. The Imperium is a brutal, closed-minded, dogmatic society that solves their problems by throwing lead and bodies at them. Their society and technology have been static for... what, tens of thousands of years? The Federation is a society of thinkers, of problem solvers. Problems in Trek episodes usually aren't solved by beating up the enemy (though that's sometimes an intermediate step) but with clever (faux) science or social aptitude. The Federation wouldn't try to defeat the tyranids by slugging it out with them, but by understanding them. They would figure out how the tyranids work and when they did, they could use that knowledge to neutralize them or, if they were clever enough and the working of the tyranids supported it, make peace.

One thing to try that occurs to me immediately: figure out how the hive mind communicates and disrupt it.
                edited June 2018
                I'm only slightly familiar with W40K, but from what I understand there's an important difference between the people of that universe and the people of Star Trek. The Imperium is a brutal, closed-minded, dogmatic society that solves their problems by throwing lead and bodies at them. Their society and technology have been static for... what, tens of thousands of years? The Federation is a society of thinkers, of problem solvers. Problems in Trek episodes usually aren't solved by beating up the enemy (though that's sometimes an intermediate step) but with clever (faux) science or social aptitude. The Federation wouldn't try to defeat the tyranids by slugging it out with them, but by understanding them. They would figure out how the tyranids work and when they did, they could use that knowledge to neutralize them or, if they were clever enough and the working of the tyranids supported it, make peace.

One thing to try that occurs to me immediately: figure out how the hive mind communicates and disrupt it.

Tyranids cannot be reasoned with, they've already consumed entire galaxies. The Nids look at us as nothing more than more biomass to be consumed, the Imperium know that and exterminating the hive fleets is the only way to stop them.
                Kryptman committed genocide on his own people in the path of the nids to slow them down by ordering exterminatus on Nid infected worlds.

NMXb2ph.png
                  edited June 2018
                  > @alexmakepeace said:
                  > I'm only slightly familiar with W40K, but from what I understand there's an important difference between the people of that universe and the people of Star Trek. The Imperium is a brutal, closed-minded, dogmatic society that solves their problems by throwing lead and bodies at them. Their society and technology have been static for... what, tens of thousands of years? The Federation is a society of thinkers, of problem solvers. Problems in Trek episodes usually aren't solved by beating up the enemy (though that's sometimes an intermediate step) but with clever (faux) science or social aptitude. The Federation wouldn't try to defeat the tyranids by slugging it out with them, but by understanding them. They would figure out how the tyranids work and when they did, they could use that knowledge to neutralize them or, if they were clever enough and the working of the tyranids supported it, make peace.
                  >
                  > One thing to try that occurs to me immediately: figure out how the hive mind communicates and disrupt it.

It's been done. The Imperium isn't nearly as scientifically static as it's made out to be, although dogmatism towards technology does tend to trip it up somewhat. They do real science on their enemies (in ways that would give Federation scientists nightmares) and sometimes make significant discoveries: in one of the Ciaphas Cain novels they figure out how to jam a tyranid splinter fleet's communications by having one of their own telepaths broadcast the signal of tyranids from a different brood (the strain unfortunately kills her).

And yeah, Raven's right: you'd have better luck negotiating with the Borg than the tyranids. They care for nothing but consuming biomass and multiplying their numbers. There's really only three factions in the 'verse you can really negotiate with: the Imperium, surprisingly enough (behind the scenes, it actually runs pretty solidly on realpolitik), the eldar (who are racial supremacists but are completely willing to work with aliens if it will preserve eldar lives), and the tau (who are honestly quite like the Federation in their collectivism and attitude to other species, if the Federation was ruled by an elite cadre of telepaths who may or may not be subtly mind-controlling their citizens). The others are Chaos (serve demon princes that live in hyperspace), the tyranids, the dark eldar (slavers and pirates hiding from Chaos), and the necrons (want all biological life to die, originally with the intent of killing off the Chaos God's).
                  — Sabaton, "Great War"
                  VZ9ASdg.png

You'd have better luck allying with the Orks (not that such an alliance would last long because Orks are well Orks)
                  NMXb2ph.png
                    edited June 2018
                    > @theraven2378 said:
                    > You'd have better luck allying with the Orks (not that such an alliance would last long because Orks are well Orks)

LOL, I forgot the orks. Humanoids that are subtly reality warpers: their technology quite literally works as well as it does because the orks believe it should, and the effect is cumulative based on how many orks are around. They reproduce by spores they give off, and they love nothing better than a good fight. It's said they have two gods, Gork and Mork, one being the god of brutal cunning and the other the god of cunning brutality, and given half a chance ork clans will pick fights with each other over which is which.

They're basically the Klingon stereotype on meth, but bear in mind, they're deliberately the comic relief faction, most of that is played for laughs (especially since they talk like stereotypical British gangsters).
                    — Sabaton, "Great War"
                    VZ9ASdg.png

edited June 2018
                    starswordc wrote: »
                    > @theraven2378 said:
                    > You'd have better luck allying with the Orks (not that such an alliance would last long because Orks are well Orks)

LOL, I forgot the orks. Humanoids that are subtly reality warpers: their technology quite literally works as well as it does because the orks believe it should, and the effect is cumulative based on how many orks are around. They reproduce by spores they give off, and they love nothing better than a good fight. It's said they have two gods, Gork and Mork, one being the god of brutal cunning and the other the god of cunning brutality, and given half a chance ork clans will pick fights with each other over which is which.

They're basically the Klingon stereotype on meth, but bear in mind, they're deliberately the comic relief faction, most of that is played for laughs (especially since they talk like stereotypical British gangsters).

Like the Ork who along with his boyz actually invaded the Eye of Terror just for a better fight. Tuska is now in Ork heaven along with his boyz fighting daemons for eternity. When Orks meet Nids, it's bad news for everyone else because the winner will be a lot stronger and more a problem to deal with.

Orks, they still have their uses.
                    Post edited by theraven2378 on
                    NMXb2ph.png
                    • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
                      Each universe has its own rules. there is no comparison possible, no way to actually know who would win. But Starfleet VS Cylons I have my money on starfleet. They'd be in Phaser-torpedo range long before the cylons were in Computer takeover range.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
                      Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
                      he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
                      In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
                      He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
                      He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
                      He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
                      He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
                    • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
                      gradii wrote: »
                      Each universe has its own rules. there is no comparison possible, no way to actually know who would win. But Starfleet VS Cylons I have my money on starfleet. They'd be in Phaser-torpedo range long before the cylons were in Computer takeover range.

The Cylons also rely on nukes, missiles, and guns, and lack any form of shielding against energy weapons. Wouldn't be a fair fight at all.

Idk anything about the Tyranids everyone's talking about, but I still say many Federation worlds would fall to the Zerg Swarm if it was able to crossover into the Trek universe, and millions of people would become infested in the process.
                      Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
                      eaY7Xxu.png
                      gradii wrote: »

Not only that, if we're talking post Wolf 359 Federation... Not only would the Cylons have to contend with a far more advanced computer system than they're used to... there are protocols in place to try and slow down a Borg computer takeover, which would drop an anvil on any Cylon intrusion. Even networked, Federation computer systems would probably baffle the Cylons to no end. Especially those with Bio-Neural circuitry.