test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mirror Universe Invasion! May 2018 - Discussion

Comments

• salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    azrael605 wrote: »
    I love MI, and I'd play it all day every day if they let me.

this doesn't change the fact that MI is way overtuned on normal difficulty!
    I disagree. On normal, it's quite the shooting gallery. You just need someone in game to help you out.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    MI is many things... too hard is not one... here's a tip, dont let them spawn swarm
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    Honestly if not for the interrupt mechanic the queue would be way too easy.

Easy way to close rifts while taking fire is to combine EptS with temporary HP powers. You (usually) don't get interrupted unless the Temp HP wears off. You can still get interrupted by a photonic shockwave, or well, I'm not sure what, but occasionally you tank 1 damage... just 1. Not sure why.

or one of your teammate could fly cover...

nah, that would require teamwork
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • docbrown#0652 docbrown Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    The Mirror Event can be annoying when your entire team goes AWOL. A few days ago I was force to do a two person raid in the Mirror Event. Most of our team dropped out but we still managed to get the task done. If you find MI to be annoying it probably because your teammates keep dropping out on you. MI event is fun when everybody partakes in the activity. Your teammates are supposed to be helping you not abandoning you.
  • khan1000khan1000 Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    I don't consider myself to be a high DPS player in the least bit. But this event is easy as hell even in my lowest DPS Capital Ships, like my Bulwark.
    giphy.gif
    Fear the Dominion
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Anyone with a Megawell can't help but laugh like a maniac. :D
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Get a cheap science ship. Outfit to torp and gravity well and shut down rifts.

Hell this event is tailor made for a decent scryer setup.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I think my favorite is the Dauntless. So many horrible things it can do to enemies.... It's clickie is a distraction power that makes an enemy look like you for a while.... then the other enemies shoot them instead of you. Also, if you don't fire, the console won't aggro you.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jelly0jelly0 Member Posts: 560 Arc User
    The interrupt mechanic is there to promote teamwork. A teammate should be drawing aggro away from the rift closer. Same with drawing aggro away from those activating the generators. Thing is, players tend to try and solo their chosen area of the map.

Doesnt help when every ship spams AOE attacks.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Had a pretty good three man run earlier with station dipping no lower than 80, lance active and about 30 rifts clear before the end phase.

We had one bajoran ship do the usual timed awol and a romulan who sat cloaked but very obviously not actually afk as they were rolling on every drop they could.
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Too be honest, after doing well over 30 runs, I can tell you that the MU Torpedo Salvo III deals well over 250k of damage, one shotting every ship I own. Yes, I use the protomatter console and the lukari console, as well as hitting brace for impact BEFORE they impact and they still one shot me.

And to top it off, the repawn rate is just too fast. I go to close a newly formed rift and three ships spawn. I kill two of them with torp spread and grav well. start on the third and three more just spawn.

The spawn rate needs slowed down just a bit, and the enemy ships needs torpedo salvo REMOVED.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    dragnridr wrote: »
    Too be honest, after doing well over 30 runs, I can tell you that the MU Torpedo Salvo III deals well over 250k of damage, one shotting every ship I own. Yes, I use the protomatter console and the lukari console, as well as hitting brace for impact BEFORE they impact and they still one shot me.

And to top it off, the repawn rate is just too fast. I go to close a newly formed rift and three ships spawn. I kill two of them with torp spread and grav well. start on the third and three more just spawn.

The spawn rate needs slowed down just a bit, and the enemy ships needs torpedo salvo REMOVED.

Yeah this is the main problem I've seen. The spawn rate is a bit to fast. I've been initiating the power feed and saw three rifts spawn in at once. Other than that, I haven't much of any problems with it. Well, other that getting people to actually close the rifts.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • oscar1#6814 oscar1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    > @reyan01 said:
    > fleetcaptain5#1134 wrote: »
    >
    > The interruption mechanic is pretty annoying indeed. And sometimes the portals spawn ships too fast.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > What annoys me is that we know how to close ICONIAN portals (Gateway to Grethor) whilst under fire, but for some bizarre reason we can't close Terran ones?!
    >
    >
    > Makes. No. Sense.

It makes perfect sense. It's a way they can make the mission harder. Since you get more marks for closing portals, people could close massive portals without the need to engage hostile ships.
    They could allow one or two minor hits to pass but if its a sustained attack then either have a pushback effect or stop the channel entirely.

I've noticed that very often the damage coming in actually happens shortly before the visual impact, no more than a second but the delay is there which can make prempting a salvo slightly trickier.

Some on the quantum torps have gone to borg school and learned how to cloak.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    > @reyan01 said:
    > fleetcaptain5#1134 wrote: »
    >
    > The interruption mechanic is pretty annoying indeed. And sometimes the portals spawn ships too fast.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > What annoys me is that we know how to close ICONIAN portals (Gateway to Grethor) whilst under fire, but for some bizarre reason we can't close Terran ones?!
    >
    >
    > Makes. No. Sense.

I say to be fair, science skippers should be the only ones able to shut a portal under fire.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Mirror Invasion is super annoying.
    • Every damn ship spams FAW and any little hit interrupts closing a rift or activating a satellite.
    • NPCs will CHASE you across the board! I mean 50-60kms!
    • Rewards for total success are minimally better than total failure.
    • There is no way to speed up the timer.
    • If everyone flys away and afks the station can stay at 9/10 or 10/10 all by itself!

Unless you just want some ship XP for mastery, there is very little reason to not afk. That's why there is nearly non-stop 'lfg mia afk' requests in chat channels. Just fly out of range at the start, park, and do your doffing & admiralty. And then still wait 4mins, cause doffing/admiralty doesn't take as long as the first part of MIA. :s
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    The interruption mechanic is pretty annoying indeed. And sometimes the portals spawn ships too fast.
    What annoys me is that we know how to close ICONIAN portals (Gateway to Grethor) whilst under fire, but for some bizarre reason we can't close Terran ones?!

Makes. No. Sense.
    Because the Iconian portals are emitting deadly radiation and the portal itself would interrupt closing it otherwise.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • humblesheephumblesheep Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    FBP is about the only thing that kills me.

Map would be easy to fix:

Random number of portals, say 20-30, pulse triggers when there's only 2 left.

Switch to a points system: Normal: half for finishing, half based on % station health. Advanced: all points based on % station health (map fails on zero health). So, the better you do, the less times you have to do it (and MIA AFK vanishes overnight).

Get rid of the interrupts, but just Sci for portals and Eng for power ups. Put something in for Tacs, say, defence platforms around the map that they can activate quicker and without interuption.

And, make the station defences do something more useful (like damage, or healing nearby ships), not just push the attackers out of gravity wells & tikens.
  • starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,194 Arc User
    sorry, but the mirror invasion event just... is annyoing only!
    on normal difficulty, their torpedo spread 2 hits with 33-37k per torpedo and oneshots all carrier pets (frigates too) and everything else with less than 90k hull!

the terran ships are totally overtuned and they literally swarm you from every direction, so that it is almost impossible, to close a rift - due to the super annyoing interruption game mechanic...

i'm really glad when i get my 14th mark so that i have never queue for this again!

This is probably the worst recurrent event for STO, IMO. It is easy but I don't like the time it takes you to complete it. You've got 15 minutes of boring gameplay, where nothing you do makes any real difference. At the end of the day it's impossible to fail, so you don't have any reason to try to succeed.

The timegates is what kills it IMO. Even if you queue in for the AFK version...you still need to wait for the first part and DPS the last part when the Dread appears.

On the other hand if you care about bonus effect...It is a very easy event but a steep learning curve for noobs. Year after year, noobs keep missing the team play requirement of closing rifts and either just click click to DPS NPCs or just trigger secondary relays and keep waiting while ignoring portals.

The most successful teams do balance between portal closings/activating relays and killing NPCs in that order but year after year people just don't get.

I hope STO would stop the insanity and do away with the timegates within the mission just like they revamped the Breach.​​
    Ships only get punted out of gravwells if they're placed within a dangerzone of the station.

A decent well in the outerhalf of the ring will pulls terrans away from the station so it doesn't get shot and also can't hit them as far with the aoe repulsor. That placement will also gather spawns in from the edge making rift clearing easier.

As long as you avoid dropping one on the cheaty speed frigates as a first strike it works well.

I say cheaty speed frigates because often they'll scoot off at a great rate of knots once they take damage and ignore any control like a well or tractor mines thats active on them when they do. Never yet seen a buff icon on them that explains why they can do so.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    > @starcruiser#3423 said:
    > I hope STO would stop the insanity and do away with the timegates within the mission just like they revamped the Breach.​​

Sorry, can you explain that one to me? I played the hell out of Old!Breach (it was an awesome queue) but I missed the revamp. What did they change about it?
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    starswordc wrote: »
    > I hope STO would stop the insanity and do away with the timegates within the mission just like they revamped the Breach.​​

Sorry, can you explain that one to me? I played the hell out of Old!Breach (it was an awesome queue) but I missed the revamp. What did they change about it?

Removed the dreadnaught boss encounter, set one path along the outer hull, and allowed you to complete that section simply by reaching the breaching point (I think that's the key point here). Revamped Breach is what's used for the multi-week event queue (old breach I think remains as is for the permanent queue.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    sorry, but the mirror invasion event just... is annyoing only!
    on normal difficulty, their torpedo spread 2 hits with 33-37k per torpedo and oneshots all carrier pets (frigates too) and everything else with less than 90k hull!

the terran ships are totally overtuned and they literally swarm you from every direction, so that it is almost impossible, to close a rift - due to the super annyoing interruption game mechanic...

i'm really glad when i get my 14th mark so that i have never queue for this again!

This is probably the worst recurrent event for STO, IMO. It is easy but I don't like the time it takes you to complete it. You've got 15 minutes of boring gameplay, where nothing you do makes any real difference. At the end of the day it's impossible to fail, so you don't have any reason to try to succeed.

The timegates is what kills it IMO. Even if you queue in for the AFK version...you still need to wait for the first part and DPS the last part when the Dread appears.

On the other hand if you care about bonus effect...It is a very easy event but a steep learning curve for noobs. Year after year, noobs keep missing the team play requirement of closing rifts and either just click click to DPS NPCs or just trigger secondary relays and keep waiting while ignoring portals.

The most successful teams do balance between portal closings/activating relays and killing NPCs in that order but year after year people just don't get.

I hope STO would stop the insanity and do away with the timegates within the mission just like they revamped the Breach.​​

Wait.. isn't all of the game play balanced around, nothing you do makes any real difference? For me, all I ever get out of anyo of the episodes, or queues, is my character just saluting and saying, "Yes, Sir! Good Drone One kills it!"
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    edited May 2018
    trennan wrote: »
    Wait.. isn't all of the game play balanced around, nothing you do makes any real difference?

Assume recursive temporal anomalies to explain why we have to keep defending X or assaulting Y. :tongue:

That or its a holodeck and command is forcing us to complete an encounter 14 or so times as disciplinary action for us failing (yet again) to submit a written report for our last assignment.

Command: "No torpedo unless you learn the value of due procedure. Did you learn the value of due procedure? Good, here's your torpedo and another assignment."

-Command hails the player after completion of their next mission-

Command, after a long weary sigh: "You...failed to submit a report again."
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited May 2018
    valoreah wrote: »
    I find the MU ships uncanny ability to never ever ever lose aggro much more irritating than their super DPS. Our fleet did some testing on a few runs with our Romulan ships. We would battle cloak and zip off to the opposite side of the map if we drew fire. The MU ships would still have us targeted, still follow us across the map while others continually pounded on them with fire. Never once did the MU ships switch targets to those who were shooting at them while chasing us.

That's some strange AI programming there.

Does that hold with other factions in other queues? Seems like you could do a comparison test to see if it's an issue with the MU ships specifically or the system generally (I suspect system but if its with MU ships specifically then a fix might be simpler [ie. in the realm of dev settings rather than AI programming].)
    edited May 2018
    valoreah wrote: »

Only ships I've tried FED side so far have been my SCI Captain in her Pathfinder and I get the same result. We're going to do another couple of runs tonight, so I can see if anyone is interested in testing this out on KDF and FED ships.

Actually I was asking about other enemy factions (sorry for the confusion, but a test of ships without cloaking might still be informative if it happens that has an impact on aggro and the AI.) If they're up for it, your group could try the same test in (say) Hive Onslaught (first stage) or Borg Disconnected to see if the Borg/Others can also be aggro-locked like MU ships. Confirmation could highlight a larger issue with the aggro system in STO.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    starswordc wrote: »

They remade the trench run so now its designed around 1 ship flying in a straight line from point A to point B while the other 4 ships sit around and do nothing. Basically a single player map for 1 person while the rest of the team wait pointlessly. The old one which is now removed was awesome while the new one is just downright badly designed as multiplayer maps go. The new Breach is so boring and simple compared to the old one.

Most of the redesigned events suffer from being made worse in the redesign. NWS is the same the old one was awesome and was great for team work. The new NWS on the other hand is a giant step backwards. I really miss the team work from the old events am I am not keen on all these redesigned events that remove teamwork.
This discussion has been closed.