test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Landing Page Feedback Thread

Comments

• Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    I only saw the "Welcome Back" window pop up once this morning, so that bug appears to be fixed for now.

The landing page is still not working as described on characters below level 10.
    frtoaster wrote: »
    Also, the PC patch notes for 05/10/2018 say:
    Players who are below level 10 will not see this page upon log in.

This is not true. I see the landing page even on characters who are below level 10. My guess is that the determining factor is whether or not the character has finished the tutorial, where "finished the tutorial" means different things for Feds, Romulans, and Klingons. I see the landing page on my level 3 Ferengi, but not on my level 6 Reman. The last thing my Ferengi did was talk to Quinn after arriving on ESD; the last thing my Reman did was talk to D'Tan after arriving at the flotilla.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Still doesn't give them an excuse for nailing it onto the esc menu though.

The very fact that they slapped it onto the Esc-key (which you always need), means they know full-well ppl don't want it.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Maybe they should have stuck the landing page on the "?" button....where all the other "info" stuff is. That is where that stuff is right? On the "?" button on the mini map.
    meimeitoo wrote: »

The very fact that they slapped it onto the Esc-key (which you always need), means they know full-well ppl don't want it.

"Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    vosorosvosoros Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    I suppose my greatest want for the Landing Page is a disable option in the game settings somewhere. Oh, and the Devs letting us know when it's added and where to find it for us frustrated folk.

I sincerely hope this is a constructive enough bit of feedback and you can make it so...
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    A reason would be better than an excuse.

And for the addition onto the ESC menu it falls firmly into the cryptic favourite of "if its broken ignore it and if it ain't broke poke it til something gives"

Most functional thing thats happened with the lander is that its no doubt acted as a means to distract away from other issues the game has. Be they long term ones like diabolical boff pathing and pet ai or more recent ones like how many things simply didn't work for gamma recruits and jems at the launch of VIL.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,988 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    What possible excuse could they need to make any changes they want to a product that they own? Its their game, the ToS says right in there that they can change it any way they want any time they want.
    Being attached to the esc menu or not having an in-game disable is just lazy design work. 20 pages of predominantly negative feedback reflects this. The people expressing these opinions help keep the lights on.

• Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    A reason would be better than an excuse.

And for the addition onto the ESC menu it falls firmly into the cryptic favourite of "if its broken ignore it and if it ain't broke poke it til something gives"

Adding it to the ESC menu was a very definite design decision to perform a definite function (improve the absolute scope of information delivery, add usable in-game short cuts), using blank space around a bare menu rather than retrofitting an existing part of the UI (ie. the mission journal.) We've made suggestions for how it could have been done differently but it should be noted that we simply don't know what options Cryptic actually had or considered during the design process. For example: is it actually feasible to rebuild just the front page of the mission journal (without impacting other parts, requiring a total rebuild of the system.) We don't know. So any assumption about who or what went into this, that "well, they did X because they were arbitrarily lazy/uncaring/evil/incompetent/like-following-orders-from-THEM/whatever" (as opposed to: this is simply the best they could do under all constraints of the real project) should be taken with great suspicion (as the null hypothesis to any of these points cannot be tested in a factual argument.)

So, toss the speculative lot and treat the landing page as a simple mechanical problem. It does X, but Y is better, so they should do Y instead. What any of this means can sort itself out (as well as what's ultimately practical or no, incidentally. Turn the landing page off now? Not going to happen. Beyond that, it depends. Work in that space until the situation proves otherwise.)
    Most functional thing thats happened with the lander is that its no doubt acted as a means to distract away from other issues the game has. Be they long term ones like diabolical boff pathing and pet ai or more recent ones like how many things simply didn't work for gamma recruits and jems at the launch of VIL.

And this is just doesn't hold at any level. Think it through. They (evil Cryptic) have a problem which is basic to the industry. Ie. that STO has bugs and other limitations. So, what do they do? According to this, add something which you immediately disregard once it ceases to provide relevant information (which is "on first viewing" for many here). For most annoyed players the landing page will be a minor inconvenience (ie. irrelevant graphics passing into and out of view) whose content passes without notice (as with most ads). Only those who can fixate on such an inconvenience until it consumes their awareness would respond in any way similar to what you suggest for people in general (ie. that they would become distracted from other, more pressing issues by the landing page.) And in that case, what you're doing with this devious landing page is shifting what people are angry at from one thing which is customary to all games (ie. bugs) to another which you've clearly added intentionally. You're not making folks less angry or more pliant to your interests as a moustache twirling developer (as frustrated folks can attest to here.)

So, protip: if what you're arguing on the internet for requires a conspiracy whose sole basis are patterns and what you reckon lies between data points (ie. that this has any connection to Cryptic's view of their QA department's efficacy, and any indication that this was done to inform players is a carefully constructed [ie. not parsimonious] façade), find something else to argue about. Your plan A has no weight.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    Adding it to the ESC menu was a very definite design decision to perform a definite goal (improve the absolute scope of information delivery, add usable in-game short cuts), using blank space around a bare menu rather than retrofitting an existing part of the UI to serve a new function (ie. the mission journal.) [...]
    Which dev shared this design decision goal with you?

• Options
    protoneous wrote: »
    Adding it to the ESC menu was a very definite design decision to perform a definite goal (improve the absolute scope of information delivery, add usable in-game short cuts), using blank space around a bare menu rather than retrofitting an existing part of the UI to serve a new function (ie. the mission journal.) [...]

Release notes:
    • Landing Page
    • The new Landing Page will spotlight some features within Star Trek Online and provide quicker access to what is on the page.

Thanks for playing.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options

Release notes:
    • Landing Page
    • The new Landing Page will spotlight some features within Star Trek Online and provide quicker access to what is on the page.

Thanks for playing.
    Oh, the 5/10/18 patch notes. Yes I read them over a month ago. From your wording it sounded like you had some insight on the design and decision process the rest of us may have missed. It appears that's not the case.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Oh, the 5/10/18 patch notes. Yes I read them over a month ago. From your wording it sounded like you had some insight on the design and decision process the rest of us may have missed. It appears that's not the case.

Indeed, what I'm saying can be arrived at by anyone with the information at hand, no unstated connections necessary. Whether or not others have chosen to overlook said information is an open question though.

• Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Release notes:
    • Landing Page

OH...make one of those a button direct to the calendar. And keep calendar up to date...that would be lovely.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options

Indeed, what I'm saying can be arrived at by anyone with the information at hand, no unstated connections necessary. Whether or not others have chosen to overlook said information is an open question though.
    What you said is your opinion although you can come across as one with unstated connections.

After 20 pages it appears your primary function is to obfuscate or post after any negative feedback. Many thanks as it seems all this approach does over the long run is to make a long thread even longer. Sometimes trying to be the voice of reason or playing peace keeper can backfire.

I don't believe I or others responding in the negative have chosen to overlook anything. My conclusion is different: the landing page is lazy, poorly implemented design work to the extent that said design actually detracts from it's so-called function.

• Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2018
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Maybe they should have stuck the landing page on the "?" button....where all the other "info" stuff is. That is where that stuff is right? On the "?" button on the mini map.
    meimeitoo wrote: »

I'd said on Page 12 here, having summarized the previous 10 or 11 pages with some of my own suggestions.

Just like you suggested the "?" while then I suggested the HAIL button, as Overview Tab is the default. Realize that HAIL already has all the same info and 25x more, including the Calendar like the Neverwinter Landing page. All they'd need to do is the change to the UPCOMING WEEKEND in Overview TAB suggested below, then just make HAIL flash when various news stories appeared. That get the appropriate attention at the appropriate time!

▪ Overview of HAIL + Calendar - Great Landing Page if UPCOMING WEEKEND updated to SENIOR OFFICER REPORTS:
    ╘ Has the graphics/text space to display Various News, Promotions, Events, Flash Sales, and more...
    ╘ If they just added left/right scroll or a 3-7 button transparent button to select stories to view or pause. :)

▪ If they UNBOUND it from ESC : They could add ALERT : Have HAIL flash GREEN when new REPORTS available.

▪ Neverwinter's Landing has a TOP Minibar Icon "L" or Castle Tower button to reload, as HAIL has Minimap as does ?.

▪ Neverwinter always had a Landing Page, yet never BOUND it to the ESC MENU.
    ╘ which up until recently almost identical to STO with only Rearrange HUD, …, Change Character, Logout, …

@ambassadorkael#6946

Still I think we'll be "lucky" if we see anything before 3-7 months from now.
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    edited June 2018

What you said is your opinion although you can come across as one with unstated connections.

After 20 pages it appears your primary function is to obfuscate or post after any negative feedback. Many thanks as it seems all this approach does over the long run is to make a long thread even longer. Sometimes trying to be the voice of reason or playing peace keeper can backfire.

I don't believe I or others responding in the negative have chosen to overlook anything. My conclusion is different: the landing page is lazy, poorly implemented design work to the extent that said design actually detracts from it's so-called function.

Yeah, that's facetious. I'm posting negative feedback myself and I've happily supported the constructive suggestions and criticisms others have made (ex. Strathkin's, they've done an excellent job itemizing reasonable [IMO] suggestions.) If you care to contribute, by all means. But I will point out where folks err in their reasoning in seeking greater clarity and more actionable ideas from community feedback (as I would like there to be constructive changes here.) That's one of the benefits of having open discussion. Everyone's entitled to what they want to believe (that's personal) but arguments posted in open debate can be deconstructed and improved where necessary for greater effect (as with any functional entity.)

That's all I'll say on the matter, as this is tangential to this thread.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
  • Options

Yeah, that's facetious. I'm posting negative feedback myself and I've happily supported the constructive suggestions others have made (ex. Strathkin's, they've done an excellent job itemizing reasonable [IMO] suggestions.) If you care to contribute, by all means. But I will point out where folks err in their reasoning in seeking greater clarity and more actionable ideas from community feedback (as I would like there to be constructive changes here.) That's one of the benefits of having open discussion. Everyone's entitled to what they want to believe (that's personal) but arguments posted in open debate can be deconstructed and improved where necessary for greater effect (as with any functional entity.)

You point out where folks err in their reasoning so you can help them with their input clarity through deconstruction and improvement where necessary for greater effect and more actionable ideas and feedback. Thank you for explaining what you're trying to accomplish.
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited June 2018

Yeah, that's facetious. I'm posting negative feedback myself and I've happily supported the constructive suggestions and criticisms others have made (ex. Strathkin's, they've done an excellent job itemizing reasonable [IMO] suggestions.) If you care to contribute, by all means. But I will point out where folks err in their reasoning in seeking greater clarity and more actionable ideas from community feedback (as I would like there to be constructive changes here.) That's one of the benefits of having open discussion. Everyone's entitled to what they want to believe (that's personal) but arguments posted in open debate can be deconstructed and improved where necessary for greater effect (as with any functional entity.)

That is not remotely facetious how protoneous described you, it is how you come across to lots of people and what he said is very true about your policing, trying to be the voice of reason is backfiring and anti constructive. I tried to tell you before you need to take a step back and look at your own posts. I did not mean that in a nasty way but as a useful fact.

The way you are going about trying to deconstruct and improved other peoples posts for them is not helpful. The problem is not pointing out errors in reasoning, its the way you are doing it that is causing problems.

I don't say this to cause an argument that the mods have to step in. I say it so you can try and improve your posts as I really think you need to spend less time trying to deconstruct and improved other peoples post for them and more time deconstructing and improving your own posts and errors.

Going back to feedback on the positive side the devs have listened and removed all the mobile forum changes. So they do listen and I am still helpful the splash screen will get a major rewrite. The idea is useful its so very poorly designed.
  • Options
    strathkin wrote: »

Still I think we'll be "lucky" if we see anything before 3-7 months from now.

For a big update (ex. switching host menus), I don't think that's an unreasonable guess. I wouldn't be surprised though by small iterative changes in the near future (1-3 months) like a calendar link, inclusion of Foundry spotlights, or an opt-out from pop-up feature. However, beyond the question of "will they do anything?" I think the odds of seeing something sooner rather than later depend on whether big changes are actually inbound. If so, then Cryptic may be reluctant to invest much in improving the landing page, as it is now, when the plan is to remove it for an analog in the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    prometheusnxprometheusnx Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    Is there any word on when they are going to look at this again? As it's still not working/bugged for some people (still getting it every time), I'd just wondered if it had been tracked to be checked again.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator
    This is not a bug reporting thread. If you have bugs to report, that needs to be done in the Bug Forum. Thank you.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Is there any word on when they are going to look at this again? As it's still not working/bugged for some people (still getting it every time), I'd just wondered if it had been tracked to be checked again.

I don't think so. There's been nothing recent on Ten Forward Weekly, though I don't recall folks asking about the landing page at all in a while. Generally we don't get a running update on fixes in progress unless they are critical, pressing, or specifically asked of Kael on the stream (and he happens to have an answer).

Given that it seems to be affecting some users or situations (more likely IME) and not others, I would be sure to include full troubleshooting with a bug report (if they can't reproduce it, they probably can't do anything about it.) For example: make note of what maps you leave your characters on. I've only seen the pop-up re-appear at Starfleet Academy (never DS9 or sector space, if you want to try those.)

Also worth noting: there is no bug thread about repeat pop-ups per character login. To be sure that Cryptic is in fact aware of the issue, and give players a place to troubleshoot and potentially identify user-side cause, a post in a relevant subforum would be advisable.
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/categories/gameplay-bug-reports
  • Options
    dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Really, only constructive criticism I can think of is to just REMOVE the landing page altogether. Really, it's not showing anything new or useful that you don't already see when logging into the game, nor does showing the latest episode or event since we already have the mission log that does that already. Oh, look, keys are on sale......Guess what, we saw that already when typing in our username/password at log in.

So, unless the landing page is actually showing us something that the game doesn't already show us, then by all means, please remove it altogether.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    dragnridr wrote: »
    Really, only constructive criticism I can think of is to just REMOVE the landing page altogether. Really, it's not showing anything new or useful that you don't already see when logging into the game, nor does showing the latest episode or event since we already have the mission log that does that already. Oh, look, keys are on sale......Guess what, we saw that already when typing in our username/password at log in.

So, unless the landing page is actually showing us something that the game doesn't already show us, then by all means, please remove it altogether.
    Arc users don't type a username/password to log in.
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »

But its still redundant via Arc as Arc has its own splash screens and info page when you press play. Arc is currently telling me about the keyring bundle, ViL, Lifetime sales and so on. There is no need for yet another splash screen.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »

But its still redundant via Arc as Arc has its own splash screens and info page when you press play. Arc is currently telling me about the keyring bundle, ViL, Lifetime sales and so on. There is no need for yet another splash screen.
    None of the items on the Arc info page (at this time) are the same as the landing page.

The info page also takes a while to load and an even longer time to cycle through however many items they've crammed into that one panel. I rarely wait for it, I just click play and would imagine many other players do the same. The landing page is much better.
  • Options
    pottsey5g wrote: »

None of the items on the Arc info page (at this time) are the same as the landing page.

The info page also takes a while to load and an even longer time to cycle through however many items they've crammed into that one panel. I rarely wait for it, I just click play and would imagine many other players do the same. The landing page is much better.
    For me it’s the other way around the landing page is providing useless obsolete information that is not needed, it doesn't even mention the info you should get on a landing page. The main point of a landing page is to tell you new stuff going off in the game and the landing page fails at that. It missed the R&D event, missed the Item upgrade event, it didn't mention any of the sales and so on. Just what is the purpose of the landing page?

I have already seen the splash screen 30+ times today and not once was it useful. It just doesn't seem to have a purpose.
  • Options
    ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    A lemon is still a lemon even if you paint it green and call it an apple.

As pottesey5g has mentioned the landing page gives me new information that isn't already being displayed on Arc or the Launcher. It serves no purpose other than a less than subtle nudge towards the c-store poorly implemented with a half bottomed job of trying to make it subtle by advertising out of date events or weeks/months old FE.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.