test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Landing Page Feedback Thread

Comments

• Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    Simply put: when players want a button to change characters, that button is all you need to give them.

I know that since the release of Windows 8 with its ridiculously big tablets à la Idiocracy, menus have been dumbed down as if the users are five year olds who only understand pictographs rather than simple text - but that is not a development you should be trying to support.

Your customers are intelligent and quite capable of using the old text-only menu, so please give them that if that's all they're asking for. Don't force this landing page upon people just because you spent time developing it - nobody asked for it.

(If whoever designed or worked on the thing is reading this: Please don't take this too personal; I'm more agitated by the broader trend to dumb down menus than by this landing page. But I do see this landing page as another example of that unhealthy trend while I am, at the same time, not seeing any added value it might have.)
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    Well, since I couldn't leave this in the Release Note thread before it was closed, I just hide it here in the other 16 pages of feedback about the 'landing' page.

Per the 5/24 release notes:
    The Landing Page will still be visible when pressing the ESC key.

Does this mean it is a 'Known Issue" and with be fixed - or working as intended?

I sure hope it's a 'Known Issue", because it is incredibly annoying having it at each character log out. (and 'landing' page it is not when placed here)
  • Options
    ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    Well, since I couldn't leave this in the Release Note thread before it was closed, I just hide it here in the other 16 pages of feedback about the 'landing' page.

Does this mean it is a 'Known Issue" and with be fixed - or working as intended?

I sure hope it's a 'Known Issue", because it is incredibly annoying having it at each character log out. (and 'landing' page it is not when placed here)

The latter - working as intended. Personally I don't have much of an issue with it popping up changing characters. Even before the landing page we got a pop-up with options for changing characters, logging out, exiting, etc. This is just a much bigger version of that pop-up with some added links in it. True these added links are more emphasized than the reason I'm bringing up the menu (bordering on obnoxious in my opinion), but my biggest issue is the inappropriateness of what those links are to. Again I ask why I would want to start a queue or mission on a character I'm logging off of? And I really only would be interested in what's new when logging on, not logging off.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2018

Latter, while potentially annoying Cryptic definitely put it on the ESC menu on purpose (unless entropy's getting creative with the UI design.) :tongue:

I'd say this is clarification that while the pop-up bug has been fixed, no other structural changes have yet been made.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2018
    Trying to REFOCUS feedback into a meaningful DIALOG I've again reposted. It originally was on page 11 but I removed by accident in making minor revision so now it shows on page 12. This was the following feedback provided to @ambassadorkael#6946 and was assured the TEAM at Cryptic is investigating other changes; but could not discuss it at that time.

I mean I think the vast majority just don't like it being bound to the MAIN MENU mostly. So I'll quote what I already provided earlier to re-use / redesign HAIL:

-- (Shown on page 12) ---
    Still it might just be easier to update Landing Page to re-utilize HAIL option on minimap, it has far more INFO than the current Landing Page, including the Calendar just like Neverwinter's Landing Page. It also already has a button on Minimap and wouldn't require another one - if you wanted to view it again separate from MAIN MENU.

o:)

Our new Landing Page only has:
    ▪ Featured Episode
    ▪ Infinity Lockbox Returns & Link to Buy Keys
    ▪ Spotlight - Romulan Imperial Mindfield
    ▪ What's new in STO 14.5 & Link to What's New.
    ▪ Later Landing Page is bound to Main Menu and shouldn't be (Neverwinter's is not):
    ╘ Rearrange HUD, Options, Chat Settings, Change Character, Logout or Exit

Revisit Landing Page to Integrate HAIL Button on Minimap (Better Landing Page):
    ▪ Calendar (More Prominent Color to stand out) the Neverwinter Landing Page also as Calendar similar to our Hail.
    ▪ Featured Series / Events -- with left / right scroll of 3 options.
    ╘ Features Series (aka Renegades Regret) Play Now
    ╘ Also shows Delta Recruit as Ongoing Long Term as 2 month ongoing events in middle.
    ╘ Also shows Mirror Invasion as 2 week ongoing event on right.
    ▪ Overview shows: Current Primary Mission in Journal, Episode Highlights, Foundry Highlights, Select PvE / PvP Queues.
    ▪ Episodes shows: Featured Episode, Faction specific Quests, Then Allied Specific Quests, Temporal Alliance Quests,...
    ▪ Available: All Daily Repeatable Quests.
    ▪ Foundry: (All Player Published Quests) with Spotlights, Browse All, etc..
    Only change needed - aside from open on first login / login.
    UPCOMING WEEKEND: Expand & rename to SENIOR OFFICER REPORTS: with left/right scroll.
    ╘ In Overview TAB has significant space (for graphics and text) to be shown:
    ╘ 'Flash Sales' posted the day they start &/or end - for things like Services, Items, or others...
    ╘ Infinity Lockbox Returns, along with Reward Highlights, with similar CSTORE Link.
    ╘═ Perhaps option to claim 40% off single KEY purchase (once per account) - during each lockbox change.
    ╘ 'Upcoming Weekend' for Bonus Marks, or whatever...
    ╘ Or various story's, promotions or various news taken off the website like:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10896394
    Unbind it from MAIN MENU or on ESCAPE - as it would be available from HAIL button afterward.
    ╘ Return to Rearrange HUD, Options, Chat Settings, Change Character, Logout or Exit.
    ▪ Re-add button for "What's new in STO 14.5" perhaps below Calendar button.
    ---
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    edited May 2018

Almost certainly working as intended because someone obviously took time to dissect a functional part of the game that was the ESC menu and graft it into a frankensteins monster of a welcome screen that you see as you leave the game.

We know that cryptic do have a reputation for introducing bugs but for this to be an accident would be monumental even by their track record.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Almost certainly working as intended because someone obviously took time to dissect a functional part of the game that was the ESC menu and graft it into a frankensteins monster of a welcome screen that you see as you leave the game.

We know that cryptic do have a reputation for introducing bugs but for this to be an accident would be monumental even by their track record.

Yea... I'm a really *confused* and can't say I'm a fan of it bound to Main Menu either. Still I think the HAIL option is a far better landing page and you can view it anytime you want. :)

Still I've tried to keep my comments mostly positive & hopeful that in time it will be improved or corrected. o:)
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    Hey folks, we'll be making some changes to the landing page in an upcoming update - it was intended to only appear once per account, not once per character.

5/24/18 Patch Notes:

The Landing Page will now only appear upon log in once per time a player logs in through the launcher.

The patch notes seem to be an exercise in creative wording. How can the landing page appear once per log-in thru the launcher or once per account if it will still be visible when pressing the ESC key when changing characters?

Note: not shooting the messenger here, that would be inappropriate unless he's in-game and targetable.

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    protoneous wrote: »
    Hey folks, we'll be making some changes to the landing page in an upcoming update - it was intended to only appear once per account, not once per character.

5/24/18 Patch Notes:

The Landing Page will now only appear upon log in once per time a player logs in through the launcher.

The patch notes seem to be an exercise in creative wording. How can the landing page appear once per log-in thru the launcher or once per account if it will still be visible when pressing the ESC key when changing characters?

Note: not shooting the messenger here, that would be inappropriate unless he's in-game and targetable.
    It will appear on its own once per login, duh.
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »

5/24/18 Patch Notes:

It will appear on its own once per login.
    It's an improvement as it's not appearing after a new character loads, but is still appearing once per character being still bound to the escape key. That's not "once per account", but a step in the right direction.
    duh.
    Try reading the quote in my previous post. I'm currently getting the loading screen 20 something times per account. This is more than once. I'll try to be more succinct in the future, but alas, I'm no @duncanidaho11 :wink: who framed things the best above.
    I'd say this is clarification that while the pop-up bug has been fixed, no other structural changes have yet been made.

• Options

5/24/18 Patch Notes:

It will appear on its own once per login.
    It's an improvement as it's not appearing after a new character loads, but is still appearing once per character being still bound to the escape key. That's not "once per account", but a step in the right direction.
    duh.
    Try reading the quote in my previous post. I'm currently getting the loading screen 20 something times per account. This is more than once. I'll try to be more succinct in the future, but alas, I'm no @duncanidaho11 :wink: who framed things the best above.
    The exit menu is not a "loading screen," even if it displays the same information. I know nitpicking about the wording of everything is a favorite passtime on these here forums, but there is absolutely nothing ambiguous about that patch note. It appears once as a popup on login, and in the ESC menu.
  • Options
    Here's a "positive" note.

The MI event is being shown on the lander so I guess someone knows how to edit it.

Just a shame it was ignored until less than a week left for an event that requires a fortnights worth of runs.

Being ignored is the upcoming victory is loading launch which might be considered newsworthy and of course money making stuff with the phoenix box and pack sales are both very absent.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    The exit menu is not a "loading screen," even if it displays the same information. I know nitpicking about the wording of everything is a favorite passtime on these here forums, but there is absolutely nothing ambiguous about that patch note. It appears once as a popup on login, and in the ESC menu.
    There was also a quote in my original post. The product we have now is not the product described in that quote. My original intent was a comparison of the two, but you fixate on the patch note wording yet again even after an attempt to clarify and promise to be more clear in the future. I'd agree that nitpicking is a favourite past time in the forums. Just look at us.
    The exit menu is not a "loading screen," even if it displays the same information.
    lol I surrender.

Post edited by protoneous on
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    There was also a quote in my original post. The product we have now is not the product described in that quote.

Of course, hanging your creative interpretation of Kael's "it" as a reference to all iterations of the landing page, including the ESC menu, as opposed to the pop-up (which is most easily inferable from context [the ESC menu's frequency can't be framed in terms of per account/character, it's on however many times you reference the ESC menu during a session (1 minimum but quite possibly more)] and demonstrable now that we have the update in question. ;) )
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    There was also a quote in my original post. The product we have now is not the product described in that quote.

Of course, hanging your creative interpretation of Kael's "it" as a reference to all iterations of the landing page, including the ESC menu, as opposed to the pop-up (which is most easily inferable from context [the ESC menu's frequency can't be framed in terms of per account/character, it's on however many times you reference the ESC menu during a session (1 minimum but quite possibly more)] and demonstrable now that we have the update in question. ;) )
    Have I ever commended you on how creative your posts are? Not everybody can make a post that could be interpreted as either exacting or nebulous depending on who reads it. This takes talent.

• Options
    ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    So is it supposed to be once per day the landing page appears or once per logon ?. As it appears if I exit the game and close to desktop once I reload it the landing page pops back up. Just tested this by loading clearing LP/closing to desktop/logging back into the same character and LP in face
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • Options
    So is it supposed to be once per day the landing page appears or once per logon ?. As it appears if I exit the game and close to desktop once I reload it the landing page pops back up. Just tested this by loading clearing LP/closing to desktop/logging back into the same character and LP in face
    It appears every time you logon and every time you press the ESC button to change toons, but will no longer appear when the new toon has loaded since the last patch. It will also appear when you press the ESC button to log out of the game.

• Options
    kaarruukaarruu Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    Now that I've had time to get used to the landing page, I feel it's only right to give a second round of feedback beyond the "this is annoying, get it away from me" knee-jerk reaction.

Two weeks of alledgedly broken state of the page popping up every single time a character was logged on or off - during an event that encourages playing several alts. That was quite annoying but not enough to make me ragequit. Didn't make me dislike the page any less, though.

It still shows up more than once per day, if I exit the game and relog later. Dunno if it's supposed to do that or not. Probably. Binding the thing to main menu seems a deliberate decision: working as intended. From my perspective, that's bad design. If I'm about to log off, I'm not going to buy stuff because the landing page advertises something, or go play an episode or queue. Functionally, it's a mild inconvenience. I need to hit Esc once per session to get rid of what's essentially a pop-up ad and I need to move the mouse cursor ways to the left instead of middle like I'm used to when logging off.

All it would take is the option to disable the whole thing and we can eat our cake and have it left, too: the two or three people who like the abomination for some reason can continue to enjoy it, while those of us who prefer to keep our menu in the middle where it has always been and our screen free of thinly veiled pop-up ads can continue to enjoy the game our way.

The landing page serves no purpose for me. It annoys me: a completely unnecessary, redundant thing with zero information value. I don't put up with ads; I use NoScript and AdBlock to clean up internet browsing. I'm certainly not going to put up with this kind of thing in a game. Playing STO is something I do for fun in my free time, not the purpose of life or an unshakable addiction. Yeah, it's a pretty decent game even with its flaws. But this obnoxious pop-up crosses a line. You've managed to discourage at least one paying customer from logging on frequently. Get rid of it entirely, or make it optional.
  • Options
    pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    So i took three months off STO and then logged in again two days ago. Had a fleet mate on coms(discord) at the time of login. My honest reaction to the landing page, having not been forewarned of it, was to exclaim; "What the Beep is this?".

My impulse was to close it immediately, which I did, And then I forgot about it. Now when I login to the game each day I close it immediately. I have not felt inclined to look at it, explore it, or experience its wonders, if it has any.

Maybe that's being unfair to the landing page. I am sure some one put lots of work into making it, and for what it is, its probably very nice. I just don't feel that I need it in my life. Its like blackberries. I have no problem with blackberries, but I have never felt the need to explore or consume them. I don't feel that I need blackberries as time spent consuming them could be better spent. On raspberries maybe.

So that's my feedback. The landing page is as unnecessary as blackberries. That's not a criticism of it. I am in no position to criticize it as I haven't given it more then three seconds of my life. It just feels unnecessary, I would rather be blowing up Borg then look at it.
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,000 Arc User
    Even after the recent patch. The landing page serves no purpose at all except to annoy players. Nice try to improve the game, but sadly a failure. I think it needs to be removed completely.
  • Options
    corexczcorexcz Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Add option to toggle it or completely remove it. Ever since you guys added this and mixed other 'fixing' patches into game, I can't even play the game anymore, it keeps crashing right after hitting Engage button in launcher.

If devs only spend more time working on fixing the bugs rather then solving unimportant stuff (waste of money and time), this is one of the examples. More fixing and actual testing, less focus on unimportant stuff. It's really so simple yet no gaming company never ever got it.
  • Options

Ambiguous wording leaves players ambivalent.

• Options

There's nothing ambiguous about the wording and no amount of wishful thinking by haters is gonna make it so.
  • Options
    As I've pointed out before it has to be a case of working as intended because it's built in to the esc menu now.

This keybind from another thread really needs more exposure

/bind Control+l gotoCharacterSelect

Lets you bypass the ESC menu for character selection and alt&f4 does the job for closing the game so the only time it appears for me now is when I have several things open and close them using esc rather than the key to open them.

Not looking forward to this appearing on consoles as they don't have the luxury of keybinds as far as I know.
  • Options
    There's nothing ambiguous about the wording and no amount of wishful thinking by haters is gonna make it so.
    Seems it may be for some when looking at the release notes in context of the of the admin's post on page 4 of this thread, even though it may not be in your view. Also seems that Cryptic Defenders™ could possibly tend to label those giving negative feedback as haters or conspiracy theorists a bit to freely. Mass posting of nebulous pseudo scientific technobabble can also work well as you'd have to spend the better part of an evening trying to compose a response let alone figure out what they're really trying to say if indeed they've really said anything at all. You may not mind the landing page, but opinions vary. Maybe somebody will start a landing page appreciation thread? This is the feedback thread.

• Options
    Seems it may be for some when looking at the release notes in context of the of the admin's post on page 4 of this thread, even though it may not be in your view. Also seems that Cryptic Defenders™ could possibly tend to label those giving negative feedback as haters or conspiracy theorists a bit to freely. Mass posting of nebulous pseudo scientific technobabble can also work well as you'd have to spend the better part of an evening trying to compose a response let alone figure out what they're really trying to say if indeed they've really said anything at all. You may not mind the landing page, but opinions vary. Maybe somebody will start a landing page appreciation thread? This is the feedback thread.
    The context of the kael's post referred to the popup, which besides being completely obvious (because the menu does not "appear" without the player opening it themselves), has been pointed out multiple times.
  • Options
    vosorosvosoros Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Next up for "improvements"; square wheels...DOH!

Yeah, I just can't emphasise how much I'm not a fan of the new landing page. Sorry if you went to a lot of work on it...but there you have it I'm afraid.

:'(
  • Options
    The context of the kael's post referred to the popup, which besides being completely obvious (because the menu does not "appear" without the player opening it themselves), has been pointed out multiple times.
    There is no mention of the popup in his post, only that the landing page was meant to appear once per account, not once per character. The popup was addressed in the patch notes. The patch notes are worded in a manner that leaves some wondering if the loading page being bound to the ESC key is a "know issue' yet to be fixed.
    [...]the menu does not "appear" without the player opening it themselves[...]
    Player's are trying to change characters, not open the landing page. They already saw the landing page when logging on.
    The exit menu is not a "loading screen," even if it displays the same information.
    It's the very same screen so to state that something is not what it is makes no sense, nor does seeing the loading screen when logging off.
    The context of the kael's post[...]has been pointed out multiple times.
    Yes it has. Which is why some are still wondering if the loading page still being bound to the ESC key is a known issue yet to be fixed after reading the patch notes.
  • Options
    vosoros wrote: »
    Next up for "improvements"; square wheels...DOH!

Yeah, I just can't emphasise how much I'm not a fan of the new landing page. Sorry if you went to a lot of work on it...but there you have it I'm afraid.

:'(

Yea I'm just surprised they didn't use the HAIL button Landing Page to open on first load. It already has Calendar and far more information that what the new Landing Page has...

Best of all it already has the HAIL button so if you choose to see it again it's easy to popup. And just like the Neverwinter Landing Page the HAIL button also has a Calendar so it wouldn't require BINDING to the MAIN MENU.

The one good thing however is people have provided A LOT of feedback about what they definitely don't like; and a few have made suggestions on how they could likely FIX or make it far better or more player friendly.
    0zxlclk.png