test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The next expansion after ViL

Comments

• Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Can we at least get TO the next expansion before wildly guessing about the next next one?
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Can we at least get TO the next expansion before wildly guessing about the next next one?

If we want to get any input into the expansion, than you need to start giving ideas,m and putting forth things early not late. Many things might not be used, but that does not mean that things suggested have no impact though. An idea that was posted might spur a different ideas, or a change in direction. Also right now the next expansion after vil is still in the early to mid stages of development, so still in a stage that changes could be made quite abit easier.
  • Options
    asuran14 wrote: »
    I would not mind if they had the recruit event for this expansion being Cardassian focused, compared to the delta an temporal focus of the last two such event. With maybe giving us the ability to make a Cardassian recruit in the three/four main factions (fed, Rom, KDF, and Maybe jem).

I could see an expansion dealing with the Tholians, such as uncovering the secrets an history of their race, and involvement in events in the galaxy further. Not saying we would have to go to war with them, but merely more of the Alliance wishing to uncover things about them, an involvement they have had. While maybe a expansion that delves into adding, or exploring more of the existing quads, though not really adding too much more sectors but merely more story/missions.

I would not mind a expansion though that sees the return of older enemies that had been defeated, but with the alliance focusing on other areas leaving them largely weakened yet not destroyed allowing them to rebuild their power. So things like the Borg assimilating worlds an technology, the Vaadwaur coming out of their civil war (or maybe the civil war going badly) an so seeking out aid, even T'ket coming out of hiding (would be funny if T'ket was behind the Hur'q awakening) an going after the Romulans.

Just sayin'.... the Delta Quadrant still has a lot of ground that needs covered. Get on that Operation: Delta Rising. I volunteer the U.S.S. Beyond to be re-reasigned to that project.

Oh I agree that it Delta quad had alot of potential, not even sure you would have to see a expansion of the actual delta quadrant sector block (would not mind expanding it to the maximum it can be), but even just getting more story arcs an content that involves the Delta quad would be nice. As said seeing a story arc that has Eldex contact the Alliance after something goes wrong with the Vaadwaur civil war, maybe even that the Bluegil are still controlling a faction of the Vaadwaur, which might even be expanding their control to other race's in the Delta quad could be interesting as a story arc. I mean we don't have to go to every system, or sector in the quad to do a mission, like with some of the missions in the game you could visit one system that thru the course of the mission has you go to other systems.
  • Options
    I would not mind if they had the recruit event for this expansion being Cardassian focused, compared to the delta an temporal focus of the last two such event. With maybe giving us the ability to make a Cardassian recruit in the three/four main factions (fed, Rom, KDF, and Maybe jem).

I could see an expansion dealing with the Tholians, such as uncovering the secrets an history of their race, and involvement in events in the galaxy further. Not saying we would have to go to war with them, but merely more of the Alliance wishing to uncover things about them, an involvement they have had. While maybe a expansion that delves into adding, or exploring more of the existing quads, though not really adding too much more sectors but merely more story/missions.

I would not mind a expansion though that sees the return of older enemies that had been defeated, but with the alliance focusing on other areas leaving them largely weakened yet not destroyed allowing them to rebuild their power. So things like the Borg assimilating worlds an technology, the Vaadwaur coming out of their civil war (or maybe the civil war going badly) an so seeking out aid, even T'ket coming out of hiding (would be funny if T'ket was behind the Hur'q awakening) an going after the Romulans.

Just sayin'.... the Delta Quadrant still has a lot of ground that needs covered. Get on that Operation: Delta Rising. I volunteer the U.S.S. Beyond to be re-reasigned to that project.

Oh I agree that it Delta quad had alot of potential, not even sure you would have to see a expansion of the actual delta quadrant sector block (would not mind expanding it to the maximum it can be), but even just getting more story arcs an content that involves the Delta quad would be nice. As said seeing a story arc that has Eldex contact the Alliance after something goes wrong with the Vaadwaur civil war, maybe even that the Bluegil are still controlling a faction of the Vaadwaur, which might even be expanding their control to other race's in the Delta quad could be interesting as a story arc. I mean we don't have to go to every system, or sector in the quad to do a mission, like with some of the missions in the game you could visit one system that thru the course of the mission has you go to other systems.

I agree, however, wouldn't it be a likely assumption that the Vaadwaur have standing orders to cease hostilities against the galaxy given that they are an Iconian servitor race? I suppose the Vaadwaur Civil War could still be going on if T'Ket still has some influence amongst the loyalist faction.

True that is possible, and I could see it being the case for the races that had been apart of the Iconian servitor races. Yet the Vaadwaur are kinda a strange special case, since they had largely only became a semi-servitor race relatively late compared to the other such races like the Solanae an Elachi for instance. Also the Iconians had to control the Vaadwaur thru a third party (the blue-gils) instead of openly, with a majority of the race not even realizing they had started to become a servitor race. So I could see three possibilities. One would be that the Vaadwaur do stand down as told by the Iconians to via the Blue-gils, two the Iconians take back their technology they gave them (trying to fix what they had caused) an stop messing with them since they are still not a true servitor race, or three T'ket gets really deeply involved pitting them against each other to create a even more powerful servitor race (I think T'ket might be behind the Hur'q awakening.). Also who is to say that the Servitor races would react kindly to being told to halt what they had been devoting themselves to for so long, as well as finding all they had gone thru now was for nothing the reward taken from them by the Iconians retreating an surrendering to the allies at the door of victory for the Iconians an their servitors.
  • Options
    Where the Voth are concerned. I think they were holding their own, or even winning against the Borg, but that with the introduction of the Vaadwaur an their Iconian masters they just overwhelmed (fighting a war on two or more fronts does that). Or they knew that something really dangerous was behind the Vaadwaur an wanted to stockpile resources to get ready for it. So they created a buffer area around their holdings to keep any enemies at bay while they did this via using the omega particles, which would be a smart idea really when you get into a bad place.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    The next expansion after ViL will revolve around the Kelvans. Their superiority complex means that they have returned to the Milky Way galaxy as conquerors. It will start an intergalactic war between the the Kevlan Empire and the Federation/KDF/Romulan Republic/Dominion (which I will simply refer to as the "Milky Way Alliance".

To end this conflict the Milky Way Alliance will need to take the war to the Kelvan Empire which means players will need to enter the Andromeda Galaxy through whatever gateway the Kelvans are using to bring the fight to them.

At that point the game will be renamed to Mass Effect: Andromeda... errr... I mean Star Trek: Andromeda.
  • Options
    captainperkinscaptainperkins Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    My prediction/suggestion:

Next sub-faction = The Lost Era's: between undiscovered country and tng.

The original cast such as George Takei stars as Captain Sulu, you start as an ensign on Excelsior. You work your way up through a story arch or political intrigue between klingons and romulans of late 23rd early 24th century.

Mission scapes include: France, Earth president of Earth hq.
    Guest star: kurtwood larson smith as President of UFP.

Camp Kittemer,

Interior of Enterprise A & Excelsior.

Moody music inspired by undiscovered country. Fleet Version of constitution refit, updated excelsior skin, photon torpedoes resembling undiscovered country. T6 ambassador as well as stargazer and oberth.
    Admiral versions of monster maroon and purchaseable movie era ship interiors.

Sub-faction: Discovery content.

These legac style revisits to the dark chapters of the federation could be worked in to Daniels and TIC.

Eventually I think playable borg and the Temporal Investigations Commission will lead us to Andromeda.
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Wait a second... I thought the Interstellar Concordium made their appearance in an effort to save the galaxy from itself... then came the Kelvan Empire.

The Tholians we encounter are refugees from another galaxy, and are being chased down by the Seltorians, who conquered their home and want to exterminate them all.

Oh, wait! This isn’t Star Fleet Battles.

:wink:
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    Geez! Can you two stop? It's like every thread y'all are in together. :unamused:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    deadshotraptordeadshotraptor Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    > @criticalthinker said:
    > starkaos wrote: »
    >
    > It is interesting how today's dev blog said a new Jem'Hadar 'faction' rather than a Cardassian faction since Cardassians have been asked for years and not many requests about Jem'Hadar. It is possible that it will be a Jem'Hadar, Vorta, and maybe Cardassian 'faction' since a Jem'Hadar 'faction' suffers from the same cosmetic issue of a Borg Collective faction, everyone looks the same. A Liberated Borg Jem'Hadar for Lifers would be interesting. Although, I suspect it will be Liberated Borg Cardassian.
    >
    > I suspect if ViL contains Cardassians, then the next 'faction' expansion will be the Borg Cooperative 'faction' since STO already has the major factions covered unless Cryptic creates their own unique playable faction. If there is no playable Cardassians in ViL, then the next 'faction' expansion will be Cardassians.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I know its still a tall order and one that will most likely never be considered but I think there is a lot of potential for a Whole/Iconian Empire faction.

Actually, I could see it being more interesting if it were an Iconian Coalition. With each of the servitor races as playable and access to their ships
  • Options
    > @criticalthinker said:
    >
    > It is interesting how today's dev blog said a new Jem'Hadar 'faction' rather than a Cardassian faction since Cardassians have been asked for years and not many requests about Jem'Hadar. It is possible that it will be a Jem'Hadar, Vorta, and maybe Cardassian 'faction' since a Jem'Hadar 'faction' suffers from the same cosmetic issue of a Borg Collective faction, everyone looks the same. A Liberated Borg Jem'Hadar for Lifers would be interesting. Although, I suspect it will be Liberated Borg Cardassian.
    >
    > I suspect if ViL contains Cardassians, then the next 'faction' expansion will be the Borg Cooperative 'faction' since STO already has the major factions covered unless Cryptic creates their own unique playable faction. If there is no playable Cardassians in ViL, then the next 'faction' expansion will be Cardassians.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I know its still a tall order and one that will most likely never be considered but I think there is a lot of potential for a Whole/Iconian Empire faction.

Actually, I could see it being more interesting if it were an Iconian Coalition. With each of the servitor races as playable and access to their ships

Not sure I would put it as an Iconian Coalition, since maybe the Iconians might be more focused on rebuilding their world, and the Iconains did not look upon the Servitor races in the same manner as they did the Heralds. The Heralds were more cherished an valued, while the Servitor races seemed more like sacrificial pawns, or things they needed an so did what was necessary to gain their cooperation.

So after the retreat of the Iconian masters an their Heralds, the Servitor races banded together based off their long history created thru the shared connection to the Iconians. Though the Servitor races being a playable faction I am less sure of happening, and would see it more as them banding together against the alliance to gain what the Iconians had promised them. Hell I could see it more the Iconains might have turned their own Servitor allies into enemies at the end of the war, with them feeling betrayed, and the many sacrifices they had made now gaining them nothing.
  • Options
    deadshotraptordeadshotraptor Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    That could be. Or, possibly, the remaining Iconians have sought to rebuild what they had (something of a proto-Starfleet), with what they've learned. Perhaps they reach out to the disenfranchised and isolationist factions and start banding them together.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    Neither the Voth nor the Borg are close to being defeated.

What we saw from them were expedition forces.

The Voth are under attack near their homeworld or their main city ship, but while they were getting desperate, there was no evidence that they are in fact defeated. They could still send out large fleets when they were under attack in the hope of finding a special weapon (the omega particles) somewhere, that's not something you'd do if your species was really that close to annihilation and every ship and soldier was needed to defend your civilisation.

The attacks by the Borg are still in Federation, at least not in Borg space. We haven't taken the fight to the Borg, we've dealt with invading forces. And yes, we killed a Queen in The Hive missions and in Borg Disconnected we destroyed a flagship - but in both instances we're fighting them in space they have invaded and most of the Unimatrices remain intact.

Saying that any of these powers are defeated is like saying that, I don't know, Mordor was defeated because the fall of Minas Tirith was prevented. It's quite ridiculous to assume such a thing if you know that there are still countless armies within the walls of Mordor at that point. Or, taking a real world example: it's like saying that Americans are no longer a serious force in the world because they had to withdraw from Vietnam.

Fending off an attack by your enemy or removing them from some your own or some third party's soil is not the same as destroying said enemy. The fact that those enemies could attack in the first place, showed that they had spare units and material - taking that away from them while also suffering losses yourself (Vega, and Kessik IV, the Klingon ships that were assimilated plus the countless ships we see attacking the Voth Fortress) is hardly the same as going into those enemy territories and fight them until you reach their homeworld and topple their government or whatever.

We may have had some victories, but in the case of the Borg those were victories fought in our territory / while trying to save our worlds, in the case of the Voth it was over 'neutral' ground and we never battled the main forces of the Voth - just those expedition forces. Forces that are, in other words, sent out because they can be missed. Not because they're vital to the species' or civilisation's survival.

Anyway, an expansion dealing with revamped Borg could be interesting, as well as exploring more of Voth culture and maybe other species where we go to their worlds or some major hub of theirs.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Oh, wait! This isn’t Star Fleet Battles.
    This. If the Kelvans ever do arrive, it will be because they got our message of peace, and are just like "Hey guys, sup!"
    Ehhh.... we only really made peace with 4 Kelvans that had been separated from their empire by vast swaths of time and distence. The more likely outcome would be that the Kelvans think their scout force became corrupted by an insidious enemy force and send a full invasion fleet as retaliation.
    You seem to have forgotten the context.

The Kelvans were looking to find a way to escape their galaxy because it was steadily becoming unlivable due to rising background radiation.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    > @criticalthinker said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Meh, I don't care about Solanae or Elachi.

Playable Iconians or Heralds though ... :)

They are probably still rebuilding at this point though. At the end of Midnight, some changes can already be seen once L'Miren received the World Heart so the process of rebuilding may for a large part be automated.

I also wonder if the loss of the World Heart was the reason they could not give birth to new Iconians. Hopefully that's solved too, as it is especially unlikely that they would let you play as one of the twelve named (or ten remaining friendly) Iconians.

We need more Iconians first.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    it is not, given they said in the past before the attack even started that no iconian had been born in a long time​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.