test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The next expansion after ViL

Comments

• isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    Give the poor devs a break. We eat through months of content in an afternoon and now we're already talking about the 5th expansion before the 4th has come out.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    Give the poor devs a break. We eat through months of content in an afternoon and now we're already talking about the 5th expansion before the 4th has come out.

Welcome to MMOs ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    The main issue with the Kelvin timeline is legal ownership. I believe that the Abrams films are, contractually, limited in what the game is allowed to use.

They can negotiate for content use (see. AOY) but the split between Paramount and CBS does make any use of the KT more complicated (and thus less likely).

Personally though, I'd cite current lack of inertia in the reboot movie franchise as more of a problem. What impetus is there now for a (contractually complicated) revisit that occurs in the same era as Discovery? If there's a critical story point that calls on referencing the multiverse and pre-TOS history, well... :tongue:

PS. my money is for expansion 5 being Borg related, with a Cooperative mini-faction launching from Vega.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • hdoggyhdoggy Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    garaks31 wrote: »
    hope, the Dominion faction is not half-baked like the aoy. and we can play as the various dominion races. especially founders.and for the next expansion. tos map could expand for dscvry and kelvin timeline content ...

We're not getting another faction like the Romulans. Not only that, most of the Dominion ships are lockbox. Hell... the Bugship is an R&D Promo. Not only that, the only non playable Cardi ship currently out there is the Hideki. The Galor and Keldon are Lockbox.

We also have a bit of a pattern forming in Expansions.
    LoR - New Faction - Romulan
    DR - No faction
    AoY - New Subfaction - TOS Fed
    ViL - No faction (if pattern holds)

If we ever do get new factions, it will most likely be subfactions like the TOS Feds. They literally cannot do a full faction like the Romulans due to the sheer number of ships they'd have to design. We're talking levelup, Intel, Miracle Worker, Pilot, Command, Temporal...
    This late in... we're not getting a full on faction. And most certainly not anything Dominion due to the above stated fact of SHIPS IN LOCKBOX.
    That didn't take long.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10838844-victory-is-life-our-fourth-expansion,-coming-june-2018!

Don't make ignorant claims like that again.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    It is interesting how today's dev blog said a new Jem'Hadar 'faction' rather than a Cardassian faction since Cardassians have been asked for years and not many requests about Jem'Hadar. It is possible that it will be a Jem'Hadar, Vorta, and maybe Cardassian 'faction' since a Jem'Hadar 'faction' suffers from the same cosmetic issue of a Borg Collective faction, everyone looks the same. A Liberated Borg Jem'Hadar for Lifers would be interesting. Although, I suspect it will be Liberated Borg Cardassian.

I suspect if ViL contains Cardassians, then the next 'faction' expansion will be the Borg Cooperative 'faction' since STO already has the major factions covered unless Cryptic creates their own unique playable faction. If there is no playable Cardassians in ViL, then the next 'faction' expansion will be Cardassians.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    My theory: Return of the Borg, complete with playable Cooperative.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    Personally though, I'd cite current lack of inertia in the reboot movie franchise as more of a problem. What impetus is there now for a (contractually complicated) revisit that occurs in the same era as Discovery? If there's a critical story point that calls on referencing the multiverse and pre-TOS history, well... :tongue:

Although, the JJ movies and Discovery in the same era, being in two completely different universes make all the difference. If Cryptic gets the license to the JJ movies, then they could go as crazy as they want in that universe without worrying about canon.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    hdoggy wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    garaks31 wrote: »
    hope, the Dominion faction is not half-baked like the aoy. and we can play as the various dominion races. especially founders.and for the next expansion. tos map could expand for dscvry and kelvin timeline content ...

We're not getting another faction like the Romulans. Not only that, most of the Dominion ships are lockbox. Hell... the Bugship is an R&D Promo. Not only that, the only non playable Cardi ship currently out there is the Hideki. The Galor and Keldon are Lockbox.

We also have a bit of a pattern forming in Expansions.
    LoR - New Faction - Romulan
    DR - No faction
    AoY - New Subfaction - TOS Fed
    ViL - No faction (if pattern holds)

If we ever do get new factions, it will most likely be subfactions like the TOS Feds. They literally cannot do a full faction like the Romulans due to the sheer number of ships they'd have to design. We're talking levelup, Intel, Miracle Worker, Pilot, Command, Temporal...
    This late in... we're not getting a full on faction. And most certainly not anything Dominion due to the above stated fact of SHIPS IN LOCKBOX.
    That didn't take long.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10838844-victory-is-life-our-fourth-expansion,-coming-june-2018!

Don't make ignorant claims like that again.

How the hell was Rattler to know that? keep in mind this discussion was before this annoncement.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > Its also been mentioned by the devs, and in this thread, that the maps are close to the maximum they can make them, so it makes sence they wouldn't expand the map much anymore, and instead focused on some sort of proceduraly generated content. Not to mention, we have already slapped down or made allies with basically every major power in the galaxy at this point.

Unless it's a hardware capacity problem on their end, that's laughable. The Milky Way galaxy is 100,000 light-years in diameter and is a thousand light-years thick just out here in the Orion Arm by Sol. The pictorial map of the galaxy is not remotely close to having been drawn to scale compared to the actual size of the "quadrants" in the game, and covers only a tiny percentage of the galaxy's volume. And Greg Mandel's original map in Star Charts that the devs worked from actually shows this (I can get a page # later but I have to leave for work).

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScifiWritersHaveNoSenseOfScale
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • stoyozstoyoz Member Posts: 63 Arc User

Yeah, but considering they plan this kinds of things pretty far ahead, I think we should start to talk about it pretty early on if we want to make a difference.
  • lighte007lighte007 Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    A 5th Expansion should have all the tropes of Sci-Fi Exploration and fighting an entity of overwhelming power that will be defeated in anti-climatic battle similar to one of the TOS era movies... that had Kirk direct it.
    The Rising of the Delta is the best expansion ever, and people love it to death because it is a good day to die in the endless struggle for supremacy of your own conviction. (A spin off of the Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and all the players love it.)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    tholians from andromeda comes from FASA material, which was adapted into starfleet battles - and then later starfleet command

andromeda is also where the andromedan invaders from that same source material come from, ironically enough

of course cryptic can use neither of these things because they belong to another company​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    An Andromedan expansion would certainly be interesting. There are even some Iconian Gateways in Andromeda that could be used to get there. Cryptic might even create a better game set in Andromeda than Bioware ever did.
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    I think I heard a rumor somewhere....

- Victory is Life
    - Victory Party is Meh
    - Quark Charges to Much
    - Odo Breaks Up the Party Because Noise Ordinance. PRAISE THE FOUNDER!
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    The next expansion after ViL will of course be a TAS expansion. A bit like TOS, but with appropriate graphics in the tutorial and the first few episodes.

Someone call Daniels, time's inverted itself again.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    The next expansion after ViL will of course be a TAS expansion. A bit like TOS, but with appropriate graphics in the tutorial and the first few episodes.

Someone call Daniels, time's inverted itself again.

8034fbcc8a9f143a4def171f7423a6256204ca30.jpg

Like time travel was ever a problem for Kirk.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Tholians have this fixation with alernative realities and time travel and their reasons for them are a mystery. Tholian actions have never been explained properly, not even on STO. An expansion that expands on the Tholians would be very useful to understand them, since they have been involved in a good number of conflicts in STO, Enterprise and TOS.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • dukerando#1598 dukerando Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Andromeda next expansion featuring the Kelvans and their Scour...err radiation problem.
    Post edited by dukerando#1598 on
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I would not mind if they had the recruit event for this expansion being Cardassian focused, compared to the delta an temporal focus of the last two such event. With maybe giving us the ability to make a Cardassian recruit in the three/four main factions (fed, Rom, KDF, and Maybe jem).

I could see an expansion dealing with the Tholians, such as uncovering the secrets an history of their race, and involvement in events in the galaxy further. Not saying we would have to go to war with them, but merely more of the Alliance wishing to uncover things about them, an involvement they have had. While maybe a expansion that delves into adding, or exploring more of the existing quads, though not really adding too much more sectors but merely more story/missions.

I would not mind a expansion though that sees the return of older enemies that had been defeated, but with the alliance focusing on other areas leaving them largely weakened yet not destroyed allowing them to rebuild their power. So things like the Borg assimilating worlds an technology, the Vaadwaur coming out of their civil war (or maybe the civil war going badly) an so seeking out aid, even T'ket coming out of hiding (would be funny if T'ket was behind the Hur'q awakening) an going after the Romulans.
    asuran14 wrote: »
    I would not mind if they had the recruit event for this expansion being Cardassian focused, compared to the delta an temporal focus of the last two such event. With maybe giving us the ability to make a Cardassian recruit in the three/four main factions (fed, Rom, KDF, and Maybe jem).

I could see an expansion dealing with the Tholians, such as uncovering the secrets an history of their race, and involvement in events in the galaxy further. Not saying we would have to go to war with them, but merely more of the Alliance wishing to uncover things about them, an involvement they have had. While maybe a expansion that delves into adding, or exploring more of the existing quads, though not really adding too much more sectors but merely more story/missions.

I would not mind a expansion though that sees the return of older enemies that had been defeated, but with the alliance focusing on other areas leaving them largely weakened yet not destroyed allowing them to rebuild their power. So things like the Borg assimilating worlds an technology, the Vaadwaur coming out of their civil war (or maybe the civil war going badly) an so seeking out aid, even T'ket coming out of hiding (would be funny if T'ket was behind the Hur'q awakening) an going after the Romulans.

It would be an extremely short recruitment event if most of the work is done for us. Which is why I am thinking there is a good chance that there won't be a Gamma Recruitment event. From Trekmovies.com:
    This brand-new playable faction will start at level 60 with a variety of completed Reputations, Specialization Trees, Duty Officer tracks, and R&D progress. Victory is Life also introduces an increased level cap of 65...

Also, having a recruitment event for the other 'factions' and having the new faction miss out on it seems disrespectful to the new 'faction'.