test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Stephen Hawking has passed.. could we please get him added to the STO memorial?

Comments

• Options
    carlosbezerracarlosbezerra Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    My suggestion is: pve GRAVITY KILLS Event. Let us honor the wisdom of Mr. Hawkins and his contributions to science.
  • Options
    sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
    If it ever materialises, call the T6-Nova the Hawking Class! :)
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Personally I'd like a Hawking class. Tier 6 Nova please? Yes I am that lame.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    lordbeefy7 wrote: »
    I have to disagree with you there...while i do agree that he wasnt necessarily a better person....we are all human and flawed by nature...he has contributed far more to humanity and the betterment of the human race than an actor. The reason he was in a sttng episode was to acknowledge his contribution so it is fitting to continue that theme in a memorial aspect.

I mean no distespect to actors...i just dont think their contributions to the race can be held in the same league as scientists and such.

In that case Leonard Nimoy's Spock shouldn't of been given a statue on Vulcan to commemorate the man for what he did on Trek. He was an actor through his entire life and yet he was just as important as Stephen Hawking. Don't tell me some actors are more important than others either because that would fall under the category of discrimination, and to me they were all important in their roles in life as they were in Trek.

Should Stephen Hawking get a place on the memorial board? Honestly no, because as others pointed out, he was just a guest actor and i haven't seen Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein on STO be commemorated for their works in science before.

Now if there was a seperate section on ESD that commemorated famous scientists who contributed to Humanity reaching the stars and Stephen Hawking had a place there alongside the greats, then it would fit.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I have to disagree with you there...while i do agree that he wasnt necessarily a better person....we are all human and flawed by nature...he has contributed far more to humanity and the betterment of the human race than an actor. The reason he was in a sttng episode was to acknowledge his contribution so it is fitting to continue that theme in a memorial aspect.

I mean no distespect to actors...i just dont think their contributions to the race can be held in the same league as scientists and such.

In that case Leonard Nimoy's Spock shouldn't of been given a statue on Vulcan to commemorate the man for what he did on Trek. He was an actor through his entire life and yet he was just as important as Stephen Hawking. Don't tell me some actors are more important than others either because that would fall under the category of discrimination, and to me they were all important in their roles in life as they were in Trek.

Should Stephen Hawking get a place on the memorial board? Honestly no, because as others pointed out, he was just a guest actor and i haven't seen Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein on STO be commemorated for their works in science before.
    It wasn't the real Isaac Newton or the real Albert Einstein that acted in that episode. It was the real Stephen Hawking, however.

I could see it either way.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    well, whichever actor did einstein in that episode did a damn good job​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    I'm in the "no" camp: a great man, but not an important part of Star Trek.
    Maybe just name the next Federation ship to be encountered in a story mission or queued event the USS Hawking?

or, better yet - the next federation science ship released should be the Hawking Class​​

These are both great ideas.
  • Options
    shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    OK, I fully support adding him to the memorial and I also would like to see a new T6 ship I fully support a T6 Nova class or another new Federation science ship named Hawking Class.

I have a the T6 voyager now and had named it Stephen Hawking way back when I got it so having a class hip named for him would be a great idea
  • Options
    cirran1cirran1 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    There is some precedent in canon: Galileo Galilei was a VERY important scientist for his time. He only rated a shuttle craft named after him. Mr. Hawkings at best rates the same treatment.

Cirran
  • Options
    orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    Somebody pointed out to me on Reddit that given the amount of warfare we commit to on a regular basis (pretty sure we kill nearly everything we meet) it maybe wouldn't be appropriate to name a ship class after him.

Not sure how else we could give him a nod in a game where we predominately sit around in starships though.

He should get a nod. As he even got me reading up on physics, which really isn't my thing. Biology is but not physics.
  • Options
    cirran1 wrote: »
    There is some precedent in canon: Galileo Galilei was a VERY important scientist for his time. He only rated a shuttle craft named after him. Mr. Hawkings at best rates the same treatment.

Cirran

On the other hand, the Wells temporal ship class exists to honor a man who was just writer of fiction (unless you believe Time After Time was fact ;) ) so a Hawking class would make sense too.
  • Options
    sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
    I'm just glad that balancing a T6 Nova against the T6 Intrepid isn't my problem! :D
  • Options
    evilag3ntman#4674 evilag3ntman Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    mneme0 wrote: »
    Despite great personal suffering, the man dedicated his life to increasing our understanding of the universe and to improving the human condition. With respect to others who have passed, Hawking not only appeared in Star Trek but also embodied the ideals that made Star Trek great. I support the idea of him being added to the in-game memorial, but even more so, the idea of a Hawking-class science ship.

i`m very glad i read thru both pages of comments.
    i found this one to be what i feel personally.
    if Sto decides to name a virtual ship class after him,i think that would be very Respectful indeed.
    please make it a Worthy one.

• Options
    Hawking class: thinking about it, it should either be a true Science ship or possibly full Science carrier like the Breen (with commander science) and a master trait that buffs Gravity Well somehow like by adding a Hawking Radiation effect - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    kellyh5 wrote: »
    My vote is: No. My logic is: Stephen Hawking guest-starred in a single episode, while the man is an icon for science, there have been many other guest-stars in episodes that have also died and their careers were also bright but in acting. If Stephen Hawking is to be added to the memorials in Star Trek Online then many more deserve the same right, unless the implication is to show that Stephen Hawking is--for some reason--better and greater than them.
    like Mark Leonard.. don't think he is on the memorial
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    kwyjenkwyjen Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    or, better yet - the next federation science ship released should be the Hawking Class​​
    I like that idea..

• Options
    r0m#7631 r0m Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    They should make a Stephen Hawking Photonic Doff Science Officer (Astrometrics, of course) in his honor. Data did so, so why not?
  • Options
    ev1taev1ta Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    I guess as a guest actor he could deserve a spot on the contact dialog for the memorial. I think more would be going a bit too far.

Maybe the T6 Nova variant could be called Hawking. (Any excuse to get a Tier 6 Nova is good, but this might be better. He even has a lose connection to Novas, since some Novas (or Supernovas) lead to black holes, one of his research topics.)

Would not mind this at all. It honors his name, and legacy and gives people something they've wanted for years, a t6 Nova.

• Options
    shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    kellyh5 wrote: »
    My vote is: No. My logic is: Stephen Hawking guest-starred in a single episode, while the man is an icon for science, there have been many other guest-stars in episodes that have also died and their careers were also bright but in acting. If Stephen Hawking is to be added to the memorials in Star Trek Online then many more deserve the same right, unless the implication is to show that Stephen Hawking is--for some reason--better and greater than them.
    like Mark Leonard.. don't think he is on the memorial

Mark Lenard is on the plaque just checked
  • Options
    cirran1cirran1 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    cirran1 wrote: »

Cirran

On the other hand, the Wells temporal ship class exists to honor a man who was just writer of fiction (unless you believe Time After Time was fact ;) ) so a Hawking class would make sense too.

Thank you for your input, I stand by my post. A shuttle bearing his name (not the class of shuttle) is the best Mr. Hawkings can hope for. Well, we could name a turbo shaft after him I guess....

Cirran
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Personally I would rather have a Hawking class as a completely new kind of ship.
  • Options
    lordbeefy7lordbeefy7 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    > @mirrorchaos said:
    > lordbeefy7 wrote: »
    >
    > I have to disagree with you there...while i do agree that he wasnt necessarily a better person....we are all human and flawed by nature...he has contributed far more to humanity and the betterment of the human race than an actor. The reason he was in a sttng episode was to acknowledge his contribution so it is fitting to continue that theme in a memorial aspect.
    >
    > I mean no distespect to actors...i just dont think their contributions to the race can be held in the same league as scientists and such.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > In that case Leonard Nimoy's Spock shouldn't of been given a statue on Vulcan to commemorate the man for what he did on Trek. He was an actor through his entire life and yet he was just as important as Stephen Hawking. Don't tell me some actors are more important than others either because that would fall under the category of discrimination, and to me they were all important in their roles in life as they were in Trek.
    >
    > Should Stephen Hawking get a place on the memorial board? Honestly no, because as others pointed out, he was just a guest actor and i haven't seen Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein on STO be commemorated for their works in science before.
    >
    > Now if there was a seperate section on ESD that commemorated famous scientists who contributed to Humanity reaching the stars and Stephen Hawking had a place there alongside the greats, then it would fit.

Without wanting to get into a forum war i would say that you are comparing apples with pears.

Leonard Nimoy was given a memorial to acknowledge his contribution to the role of spock and to star trek in general...not becuse he was an actor....similarly the suggestion was to commemorate Hawkings contributions to science and the spirit of exploration and human spirit that Rodenberry created in star trek....not hecause he had a small cameo once....if we did that can you imagine the memorials to all the poor redshirts!

I wouldt seek a james dean or Marilyn Munroe memorial.

My tuppence worth.
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    I like the idea of a Hawking Class​​ ship. I suggest that its Trait involve Gravity Well Radiation.
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    To be fair it probably should be pointed out he was the guy who has brought us the closest (sor far) to a star trekky world with his work

I do think it would be nice on esd to have the various shuttle, ship mobs named after scientific greats; and the Hawking class science ship too
  • Options
    dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    He just did a cameo for a few seconds as a hologram playing poker. Has nothing to do with the hundreds of other stories , episodes and arcs of Star Trek. The actual characters(and creator of course) are what people remember and care about. These are the people who deserve their name on the plaque.

But as an influential scientist of our time, I do like the idea of naming a ship or even a base after him.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Without wanting to get into a forum war i would say that you are comparing apples with pears.

Leonard Nimoy was given a memorial to acknowledge his contribution to the role of spock and to star trek in general...not becuse he was an actor....similarly the suggestion was to commemorate Hawkings contributions to science and the spirit of exploration and human spirit that Rodenberry created in star trek....not hecause he had a small cameo once....if we did that can you imagine the memorials to all the poor redshirts!

I wouldt seek a james dean or Marilyn Munroe memorial.

My tuppence worth.

Apples and pears indeed and you still haven't answered my point.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2018

^^ Precisely this!

Hawking was a great man. But, a small cameo aside, he shouldn't be commemorated in STO. I know saying this will enrage a lot of people, but those names on a commemoration plaque in STO should be reserved for those who materially impacted Trek, and not 'Hawking was about Science, Trek is about Science, therefore Hawking should be commemorated in STO.' Just no. If they do that, it detracts from everyone already on those plaques who really *did* contribute to Star Trek in a major fashion. 'Think about it, Shepard.'
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,788 Arc User
    I don't really have a strong opinion on this. Add him or not, I don't mind either way.

Though I do think that there isn't that much reason to add Mr. Hawking to the memorial. His role in Star Trek was very minor and while he has made important contributions to science (while also serving as a rolemodel for some people probably) I don't see why that is a reason to add him to a memorial in a computer game, even when that computer game is a SciFi game.

It's not like his theories and his scientific work, as far as I know, were very important for the Trek universe and the explanation of how things work, in-universe (forgive me the pun).

In that sense, it would be more logical to add people like Werner Heisenberg because his scientific work is acknowledged and taken into account in the Trek universe.

So I'm going to say 'no'; they don't need to add Mr. Hawking to the memorial, unless they want to alter a decision they previously made and add all actors with minor acting roles to it - cause that is really the only criterion that matters right now. IMHO.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    a new r&d holding at the academy or a new memory alpha with his statue would be nice
This discussion has been closed.