test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The new DS9: what should remain the same and what should change?

fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
Since it is very much possible that DS9 will get a revamp (given all what happened in the latest episode), I was wondering what people thought of the old Cardassian station and whether it should be replaced by something more Federation-like*, or keep its.

What do you think? Should the station get a Federation interior? Or keep the Cardassian interior? What about the exterior, should it more resemble Federation architecture or should the Devs stick with the Cardassian look?

*As an example of something more Federation-like: Some of the novels feature a renewed DS9: http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Deep_Space_9_(II)
[4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.

The new DS9: what should remain the same and what should change? 105 votes

The entire station should become more Federation-like (both its exterior as well as its interior)
6%
jcswwrandom909phrgblitzy4jtoney3448fleetcaptain5#1134yn2ma#7025 7 votes
The entire station should keep its Cardassian look (both exterior and interior)
60%
nightkenkirimuffinvoyagerfan9751scififan78sophlogimoalexraptorrbaddmoonrizinhippiejonmustrumridcully0meimeitoovegeta50024lordsteve1arliekkosrattler2willidestucker031angrytargkyle223catcrashdragonjjohnson1777 64 votes
Only the exterior should be made more Federation-like
0%
Only the interior should be made more Federation-like
8%
ikonn#1068joeykorickaithan1975magiczackdjf021tyler002captainkrud1960nickkyana#2794darkmatter909#7994 9 votes
I don't care
9%
bloodyrizwhere2r1jcsteelepatrickngothay8472warpangelstorulessurprise77#6282cpr#5779forerunnerknight#7803 10 votes
Other (please explain)
14%
talonxvprotoneouskodachikunoazrael605seriousdaveneoakiraiimarkhawkmancaptainhunter1psiameesekaggert27ichaerus1asuran14criticalthinkerchristopher082lighscan#7383 15 votes

Comments

• tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    ummm nothing is gonna "change" at all... they will make it look the same, or as close as possible, as in the TV show and that is it.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    The entire station should become more Federation-like (both its exterior as well as its interior)
    For myself, I'd really like to see the station getting a more uniform look on the inside. All the different shapes and colours never looked that great to me. Federation corridors like we saw in the old ESD or in the tutorial may seem boring since they're the same everywhere, but at the same time it also makes Federation interiors less messy and more coherent.

To me DS9 always looked like it was put together from a dozen different smaller stations that were simply glued together. I don't mean to offend anyone or talk bad about someone's work, but I'd really prefer something more consistent.

I have less problems with the exterior - but now that the station will likely need to rebuild (from an in-game perspective) I think it would make sense not to keep the Cardassian architecture, for various reasons ranging from political ones to technological ones.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    The cardassian look will mostly likely remain, seeing as it's the most "iconic" and causes the least amount of gameplay and license issues. Thus improved cardassian design is the most likely to happen.

It doesn't mean they can't improve the station within those limits as the current DS9 map in-game isn't the best possible.
  • tremere12tremere12 Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    Gul Dukat was a good man
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    Other (please explain)
    tigeraries wrote: »
    ummm nothing is gonna "change" at all... they will make it look the same, or as close as possible, as in the TV show and that is it.

This. That's the whole friggin point of it being in the game.

What I would like though is a better internal layout. Having the ship related NPCs and the mail, bank, exchange termials on the opposite sides of the station is kinda off putting.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    The Cardassian look will remain. We might see a revamp similar to ESD that is not circular. I'm thinking something more rectangular with a wider promenade.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I've always hated the Cardassian appearance, but I think it's highly unlikely they would ever change it to a more Federation look. Then again, they made the Borg drones look absolutely ridiculous by giving them a new design (admittedly, that was essentially a completely different dev team from the one we have now), so anything is possible.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    They're more likely to revamp the interior to look more screen accurate.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    I've always hated the Cardassian appearance, but I think it's highly unlikely they would ever change it to a more Federation look. Then again, they made the Borg drones look absolutely ridiculous by giving them a new design (admittedly, that was essentially a completely different dev team from the one we have now), so anything is possible.
    still the new borg design while silly isn't that far from what they look in canon. radically redesigning DS9 is probably out of the question, since CBS would veto it (which is btw the same reason why no major canon characters die in STO, CBS wouldn't allow it).
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    If they do keep the original style both in and out then they need to at least fix it up as at its current state it has a lot of rough edges.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Make it look much more screen accurate but also expand it to be better laid out and make more sense from a gameplay point of view.
    E.g. have the exchange/bank etc near to other commodities and the tailor. And having both that and the ship yard be in places a bit nicer than a hollowed out cargo hold.
    Plus make Quarks place more screen accurate in terms of size with maybe a holodeck to muck about in.

Oh and add in the infirmary and security office please.
    SulMatuul.png
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I don't care
    As long as everything works, loads quickly and is easy to get around and find everything, I won't complain.

I am usually very happy with revamps the art department comes up with.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    We're not getting DS9-2 from the books. So no Gyroscope station. However the interior map is showing its age and is in desperate need of a revamp.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    revamp. the station needs to be bigger both inside and outside. maybe have 2-3 bank/exchange areas. enlarge Quarks. Add Vic'c Place either as a holodeck or his own bar ajacent to or opposite to quarks. Add an Arboretum, Security office, Medical.
    make it wide enough to have kiosks in the middle of the rings like the jambja stick vendor.
    Spock.jpg

• kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Other (please explain)
    honestly I expect it will just get a touch up and maybe canon fixes, but for the sake of this thread, how about the Bajorans designer their own damned station? :P If they want a UFP one, then they should 1)actually join and 2)Get one of the boring ones we see on screen elsewhere in canon
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
    but for the sake of this thread, how about the Bajorans designer their own damned station? :P If they want a UFP one, then they should 1)actually join and 2)Get one of the boring ones we see on screen elsewhere in canon

1: The Bajorans ARE members of the Federation in STO's time period.
    2: That would detract from the iconic station we know as Deep Space Nine.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    latest?cb=20150130143622
    381.gif
  • galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User
    As long as we have Kurland, all is good.
    sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    I would like to see the Federation designed DS9 from one of the many Trek novels.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    honestly I expect it will just get a touch up and maybe canon fixes, but for the sake of this thread, how about the Bajorans designer their own damned station? :P If they want a UFP one, then they should 1)actually join and 2)Get one of the boring ones we see on screen elsewhere in canon

Point of order, in STO the Bajorans became full members of the Federation back in 2393.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Other (please explain)
    Actually a few books show DS9 utterly destroyed and a new high tech station is built to replace it.

I personally wouldn't mind an attack where we defend Bajor(like the last episode) but DS9 is lost and we get a new station to replace the aging veteran.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
    I don't see that happening because of the fact that STO isn't as flexable as WoW is in terms of story. STO's pretty rigid thanks to things like the Cardassian arc, which clearly show the DS9 we all know, which takes place in 2409. While it is 2410 now and DS9 was hammered pretty badly by the Hur'q, we can't just straight up replace the station wholesale as there is still story content with the old station. And with DS9 being a social hub...

They could get away with the interior of ESD because its a massive station and it can just be explained away as a different section of the station than we saw before. DS9... we can't really do that.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I don't see that happening because of the fact that STO isn't as flexable as WoW is in terms of story. STO's pretty rigid thanks to things like the Cardassian arc, which clearly show the DS9 we all know, which takes place in 2409. While it is 2410 now and DS9 was hammered pretty badly by the Hur'q, we can't just straight up replace the station wholesale as there is still story content with the old station. And with DS9 being a social hub...

They could get away with the interior of ESD because its a massive station and it can just be explained away as a different section of the station than we saw before. DS9... we can't really do that.

Took a beating enough to possibly need an exterior and interior refit. Like much of the story arcs in STO make a whole lot of sense in the first place but the missions could easily be retooled in the same way the temporal Captain's work. The station wouldn't change until you have completed all story arcs leading up to that change, which would basically change the map you warp into for DS9.

Ideally, I would like the Cardassian station and interior maps used for Empok Nor and have DS9 rebuilt as something new.
  • sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    Federation/Starfleet-style rebuilding would be consistent with the story, but from an artistic standpoint, I'd rather have it remain Cardassian-style. It adds to the diversity of environments in the game, and since DS9 is effectively a cross-faction hub, having it visually over-represent just one of those factions feels wrong.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    It's DS9 from the TV show. It looks exactly like it's supposed to, aside from being too large on the outside. Maybe the map could need a few improvements, but assuming that usually in STO improvement means removal of classic features I'd rather keep everything as it is.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    Only the interior should be made more Federation-like
    I say leave the exterior alone, but the interior needs to be more in line with the show.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    Other (please explain)
    They should increase the travel time (distance) between the bank, exchange, security officer and shipyard by 5% to improve the games stats.