test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The new DS9: what should remain the same and what should change?

13»

Comments

• mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    lnblade wrote: »
    lnblade wrote: »
    psiameese wrote: »
    While I disliked - due to its asymmetry - the games ESD model from back at launch, I always felt it should be revisited by the current art team. To see what they would come up with for any distant Starbase or outpost. Yes, Bajor is a Federation world these days. So why not spruce up the old ESD model and make it Bajoran inspired exterior with a Federation interior style? With room, of course, for a temple to the Prophets?

earth-spacedock.jpg
    I've always thought that the old ESD would be good as a replacement for DS9. IMO it would make sense for Starfleet to build their own station at the mouth of the Wormhole, so that they don't have to keep dealing with the weird Cardassian tech in DS9 that gave O'Brien so much trouble. The original DS9 could then be moved back into orbit of Bajor, to help with planetary defense and serve as a trade hub, or it could remain at the mouth of the Wormhole and become a civilian station, sort of a jumping off point for trade and colonization in the Gamma Quadrant. It could also have a museum of the station's history, starting with it's original function as a slave-labor ore processing station and going up through it's critical strategic role in the Dominion War.

Perhaps. It has the general ring shape but it needs more Cardassian looking features to make sure it doesn't lose the appeal of what it is so it doesn't come across as completely alien to the trek community (in that it is far removed that it is something else completely), some redesign on the appearance to have some cardassian features would be nice though.

For example:
    - Cuttiing off the lowest part of the station below the orange and yellow base beneath the blue power core.
    - cutting off or redesigning of the crew quarters from that ugly half sphere to rings that also have small dock points for much smaller ships.
    - Adust the lower ring to have more inner thickness and add a few runabout pads.
    - Replacing the blue and red lights for bright dull brown lights and a decided worn grey/orange hull appearance with trinagular looking hull segements.
    - A few small spires on the ring of the station for docking purposes.
    - Two docking points that extend a little beneath the outer supports connecting from the upper ring to the lower ring and add two docking points, one on each support neck about half way down for the same purpose. so larger ships can dock.
    - Several mid sized docking points on the upper ring.

since this bit is hypothetical there is no harm in responding.
    I can see lopping off the lower third of the old ESD, IMO it doesn't really do much for the station visually. But otherwise, I don't think I'd change it. I don't think that a new station would necessarily have to pay homage to the original Cardassian design, especially if DS9 were kept at the entrance to the Wormhole alongside the new station. Also, the size of the old ESD, since it's so large, lends itself well to being a deep space station at an important strategic location. It looks like it would have more firepower and stronger defenses, so it would act as a better choke point in case something decided to invade through the Wormhole again.

It looks more like Starfleets attempt at a grandiose statement rather than being practical. Deep Space 9 was an old mining station until Starfleet added weapons to it and suddenly it became a heavily armed threat. This starbase in the picture looks too collosal to be practical.

the defenses would require enormous power generation and storage, it would require massive shield generators to protect a station that large, forcefields and structural integrity fields, especially on the vulnerable parts. there weapons systems would need to be placed everywhere and the chances are there are lots of blindspots to cover.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    The HILARIOUS outcome of DS9 would be if the old station post Hurq-blowing-its-arms-off were simply put back in place now with visible duct tape reattaching the missing arms.
    This is now officially my favorite suggestion.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    The entire station should keep its Cardassian look (both exterior and interior)
    It should get as reasonable close to what we saw on screen of Deep Space Nine as possible. Some details might need to be added since we never actually saw the entire promenade on screen.

I'd also prefer if they gave the exterior the correct size, though I suspect the ship has sailed. I wouldn't be opposed to them adding some kind of defense satellite network or docking emplacements around it or something like that that has clearly Federation or Bajoran style design.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • lordbeefy7lordbeefy7 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    Given that the tzenkethi station warped in and we are now at peace/ unified against the hurrk could that maybe be the replacement?
    lordbeefy7 wrote: »
    Given that the tzenkethi station warped in and we are now at peace/ unified against the hurrk could that maybe be the replacement?

The Tzenkethi Admiral was duplicitous and during the evaculation, and he decided to flee with what was left rather than provide further assistance against the Hur'q and that starbase you are referring to is destroyed during the conflict. I suspect the Tzenkethi storyline has one more mission left in it before we finally see the end of them and the start of another galactic war Cryptic likes putting our mass murdering captain into :tongue: .
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Like the new ESD, the renewed DS9 station should be as it is now, just more screen-accurate and better looking.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Oh, one more thing: An airlock and the option to go outside in an EVA suit!

I read the "an airlock and the option..." and my mind filled out "... to toss out Duty officer prisoners".
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    anazonda wrote: »
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Oh, one more thing: An airlock and the option to go outside in an EVA suit!

I read the "an airlock and the option..." and my mind filled out "... to toss out Duty officer prisoners".
    And annoying BOffs? (My Klingon's helm officer spends too much time at the bloodwine, and half the time can't seem to navigate his way around Beta Quadrant.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,853 Arc User
    Airlock.. EVA.. Kurland here...
    Spock.jpg

• neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Other (please explain)
    Keep it looking like it always has make very little changes, why ruin a superior design to federation looks...Next you're gonna want to make it look Bajoran

It's a reminder of Bajoran history of what happens when you deny our help and greatness

It's also a symbol of Cardasssian roots and history, and pride one shouldn't tear down history
    GwaoHAD.png
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Other (please explain)
    I can understand why the Cardassian style is well more industrial in style, and bulky to kinda give off that look of strength/authority thru the style. In some aspects I like that style an it fits the Cardassian, but would love to see some concepts of what Cardassian styles of the past might have looked like.

On the case of how I would like to see the base redesigned, even if it is pretty much not going to happen is as fallows.
    • Outside: For the outside of the station i would actually want to see them just do a update to the existing design improving it. No real redisign, or changes to it outside of maybe some Bajorn maybe inspirations on it.
    • Inside: This is more where I would want to see more changes. Like giving each of the three main-factons a specific area of the base that is down in a style like their own, while the main collective area would be both a mixture of Bajorn an Cardassian styles. This would be basically like the alliance first trying out a united-faction base concept over more of the individual factions holding bases.
  • lordbeefy7lordbeefy7 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    > @mirrorchaos said:
    > lordbeefy7 wrote: »
    >
    > Given that the tzenkethi station warped in and we are now at peace/ unified against the hurrk could that maybe be the replacement?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The Tzenkethi Admiral was duplicitous and during the evaculation, and he decided to flee with what was left rather than provide further assistance against the Hur'q and that starbase you are referring to is destroyed during the conflict. I suspect the Tzenkethi storyline has one more mission left in it before we finally see the end of them and the start of another galactic war Cryptic likes putting our mass murdering captain into :tongue: .

I didnt realise the station was destroyed at the end of the mission.....despite playing it through repeatedly on several alts lol....pity...i thought it would have been an ideal replacement .
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    > @neoakiraii said:
    > Keep it looking like it always has make very little changes, why ruin a superior design to federation looks...Next you're gonna want to make it look Bajoran
    >
    > It's a reminder of Bajoran history of what happens when you deny our help and greatness
    >
    > It's also a symbol of Cardasssian roots and history, and pride one shouldn't tear down history

Remind me: who came running to who for help when Dukat sold you out to the Dominion, again? /in-character
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I don't care
    asuran14 wrote: »
    Inside: This is more where I would want to see more changes. Like giving each of the three main-factons a specific area of the base that is down in a style like their own

I have a ton of other places to go to get that "Klingon" style and atmosphere.

I want to go to DS9 to get DS9.

"Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Other (please explain)
    starswordc wrote: »
    > @neoakiraii said:
    > Keep it looking like it always has make very little changes, why ruin a superior design to federation looks...Next you're gonna want to make it look Bajoran
    >
    > It's a reminder of Bajoran history of what happens when you deny our help and greatness
    >
    > It's also a symbol of Cardasssian roots and history, and pride one shouldn't tear down history

Remind me: who came running to who for help when Dukat sold you out to the Dominion, again? /in-character
    Dukat merely reminded them of the greatness of the Founders. They should not have betrayed their gods.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    starswordc wrote: »
    > @neoakiraii said:
    >
    >

The Cardassian 11th order to Damar, from there he lead a brilliant an unanticipated action by allying with the Federation, Commander Nerys was assigned to help Damar fight dirty. Even though the resistance fell, the fight continued on and it turned Damar into a hero for the people and a legend for all Cardassia.

I might remind the Bajorans that Kira Neys was a Federation officer and as such despite her being Bajoran, there was no Bajoran assistance at all and history will likely never recount her actions for the Cardassian people.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    The Cardassian 11th order to Damar, from there he lead a brilliant an unanticipated action by allying with the Federation, Commander Nerys was assigned to help Damar fight dirty. Even though the resistance fell, the fight continued on and it turned Damar into a hero for the people and a legend for all Cardassia.

I might remind the Bajorans that Kira Neys was a Federation officer and as such despite her being Bajoran, there was no Bajoran assistance at all and history will likely never recount her actions for the Cardassian people.

Made for a very convenient legal fiction, didn't it? Starfleet giving Field Colonel Kira a battlefield commission so she could go to Cardassia to teach folks how to be guerrillas without endangering either the non-aggression pact with the Dominion or any fragile Cardassian egos.
    Post edited by starswordc on
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    The only thing they should change is adding better railings to the promenade balcony. It's safety violation to have rungs that far apart. A small Ferengi could easily fall through and sue the station.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The only thing they should change is adding better railings to the promenade balcony. It's safety violation to have rungs that far apart. A small Ferengi could easily fall through and sue the station.

That's because they build it roughly to scale, but then just inflated everything, inside and outside, because of the games' camera or something which doesn't work in smaller corridors. It really shows that the old maps are comically inflated like this, everything from tables to doors or consoles would be okay if they didn't pump like 30% additional air inside everything.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    The funny thing, of course, is that players always seem to think they're engaged in some sort of 'collaborative effort' with Cryptic, making all sort of futile suggestions, whereas I bet the new DS9 is long since finished already. And yes, sometimes observing this is funny. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    The funny thing, of course, is that players always seem to think they're engaged in some sort of 'collaborative effort' with Cryptic, making all sort of futile suggestions, whereas I bet the new DS9 is long since finished already. And yes, sometimes observing this is funny. :)

The content is finalized months before the players even get a hint at what's coming. The players don't even get to be involved in time to fix critical bugs in the test build, they almost always make it on Holodeck anyway pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou