test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lockboxes possibly to be classified as gambling by German authorities - decision in March

Relevant to STO in Germany.

https://www.golem.de/news/landesmedienanstalten-jugendschuetzer-pruefen-verbot-von-lootboxen-1802-132614.html

"German state governments' media offices investigate a prohibition of lockboxes"

In short, they may classify lockboxes (or lootboxes) as gambling by March. That would basically put STO out of business in Germany, unless PWE implements a strict age verification system or make lockboxes unavailable in Germany (and I don't even see how they could do that).

From the article, there seems to be a similar intiative in the US.

Considering how important lockboxes seem to be for STO's business model, thats big news.
Remember, STO is nothing but a cosmetics game, where only the rule of cool matters. The game mechanics are intentionally out of balance, don't try to "optimize" anything, as it would just frustrate you.

Comments

• slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    I doubt they’ll call it gambling since one can buy everything in a lockbox on the exchange (yes can be very expensive). However, one could say that your gambling for a lower price.
  • silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    That TRIBBLE in Hawaii that started this nonsense, potentially has a lot to answer for :angry::angry:
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • christopher082christopher082 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    With everything going on in the games industry today and all of the under-the-hood psychological hooks to get you to buy lootboxes and microtransactions, I welcome the news. However, I have always viewed cryptics lockboxes in STO differently.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    It seems unlikely that an actual prohibition will happen. There is too much money to be made, so the pressure from lobbyists will be enormous.

What is more likely, and would be fine for STO, is if they added the requirement that the odds be published. Compared to some MMOs the odds for lock boxes and R&D packs are good.
  • vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    Lockboxes have always been gambling. (unnecessary flame removed. - darkbladejk)
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
    edited February 2018
    vampeiyre wrote: »
    Lockboxes have always been gambling.
    I think you mean, 'they're correct, and I can't disprove their points, so I'll call the sophists...' :wink:

Last time this topic of discussion was brought up, I pointed out that all Cryptic potentially needs to do, is re-brand them 'Lobi Boxes' (which deliver Lobi, and with themed bonus-prizes) and bam, no more 'gamble' applies, because they would be identified, as the thing which they always deliver: 3 Lobi crystals (and themed bonus prizes) :sunglasses:
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    Guys please keep things on point and civil if you're going to debate.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    What is more likely, and would be fine for STO, is if they added the requirement that the odds be published. Compared to some MMOs the odds for lock boxes and R&D packs are good.
    There is in my mind no excuse to not do this (and I do wonder if the folks who decided that we don't need to know the odds would happily make a wager with their own money with a similar lack of knowledge). By way of example, consider the cosmetics-only boxes found in Path of Exile (reference): the odds of getting a given rarity of item are clearly stated (I believe once that is 'decided', the actual item is equally likely to be any of X specified items of that rarity).
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    STOs boxes are more akin to a box of cereal with the chance to a golden ticket in it. If those boxes are gambling so cereal boxes or similiar foodstuff with a chance to win something had to be as well. STOs model is classified as a promotion methinks. However I can see that they maybe have to advertise them differently in the future.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

A full prohibition, indeed, seems unlikely. But it would be nice if Crytic got obligated to publish the odds. But truly no big deal: the odds are pretty much known already - be it unofficially -- so I doubt anyone would buy any lock box less because of it.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Uh... is this a veiled DOOOOOOM thread?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    God dang it... one typo and the forums eats my post...

They'd have to judge it on a case by case basis. STO is actually very generous with their lockboxes, and Team Fortress 2 has 4 ways of acquiring items in crates. Its games like Star Wars Battlefront II that ruin it for everyone with corporate greed.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Do understand this is just politicians blowing hot air, it's what they do best. Nothing of any business importance is going to come out of it in any country large enough for Big Entertainment to care.
  • orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Do understand this is just politicians blowing hot air, it's what they do best. Nothing of any business importance is going to come out of it in any country large enough for Big Entertainment to care.

This. It's political point scoring with us peasants.

They'll talk about it to make it seem like they're paying attention to the voters then it'll fizzle out and onto the next "big deal".

There's people who are quite willing to ram £200 down a one-armed bandit on a Saturday night, yet nobody tries to do anything about that. Don't want your kids blowing your money on lockboxes? Don't give them the means to do so. Everybody else is on them.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    They might have to make the keys account bound and bought via the website rather than in game.

Would allow minors to play and have access to the store while not exposing them to the gamble boxes.

Lotro's gamble boxes have keys as random drops and I think possibly also earnable with a lot of effort, so that would be another possible workaround. Kind of amazed that PWE hasnt gone this route as it would be a better hook for luring folk into the boxes than the current spamming of loot-tables and tweaking the drop rate to push a popular box (disco box drops far more often than the kethi one)

PoE's boxes are opened at purchase rather than loot drops and they clearly state the value is never less than the asking price, debatable for stuff like the fireworks but for cosmetics and stash tabs its pretty accurate. In comparison keys are a slightly more fluid price due to the exchange and the minor prizes are certainly not worth the same in a lot of cases.

Because the boxes have been in sto for so long now they can't as easily remove keys from the game.

I'd love for them to remove the padding from the boxes, be upfront and publish the %'s, have the boxes themselves on a fixed drop rate and just put the cosmetics into the boxes as an item not a chance of a chance via the weapon crates.

Only downside for me with moving keys out the store and web based would be I'd have nothing to spend stipend on until a t6 kar'fi arrives.
  • soullessraptorsoullessraptor Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    As people have said, easiest solution is to rebrand the Lockboxes as "Lobi Boxes".
  • meridian113meridian113 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    Whole EU will discuss lock box system.it was started with Overwatch.It is consider gambling because you pay just a scratch ticket and you do not know what you will get.it is random like slot machine.That is a problem.with legal online gamblings,this is consider illegal because PWE do not pay taxes on profit from lock boxes
  • thraexisthraexis Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    Game companies might have to start getting a Gambling license.
    So the lockboxes might get changed or game companies will have to
    invest in getting a gambling lic.
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    HAHAHA... I guess the EU might need a SAFE SPACE away from lockboxes. Oh no it's a lockbox and I need to HOLD a puppy bear-14.gif​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    They originally got into hot water when they added lockboxes.. which is why they added lobi to them. I believe the lobi is considered to be the main prize/product being purchased now, the rest of what you can get is just a random bonus. I suspect it would be extremely difficult to press a legal case against that.
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    And another point to consider; unlike some games where lockbox-equivilents can only be opened by expenditure of real world currency, it's entirely possible for an STO player to open lockboxes without ever spending a cent/pence/phennig/yen/etc. simply by using the Dilithium Exchange to convert their Refined Dilithium to Zen to purchase a Key or buying a Key from the Exchange using Energy Credits.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
    They might have to make the keys account bound and bought via the website rather than in game.

Would allow minors to play and have access to the store while not exposing them to the gamble boxes.

Lotro's gamble boxes have keys as random drops and I think possibly also earnable with a lot of effort, so that would be another possible workaround. Kind of amazed that PWE hasnt gone this route as it would be a better hook for luring folk into the boxes than the current spamming of loot-tables and tweaking the drop rate to push a popular box (disco box drops far more often than the kethi one)

PoE's boxes are opened at purchase rather than loot drops and they clearly state the value is never less than the asking price, debatable for stuff like the fireworks but for cosmetics and stash tabs its pretty accurate. In comparison keys are a slightly more fluid price due to the exchange and the minor prizes are certainly not worth the same in a lot of cases.

Because the boxes have been in sto for so long now they can't as easily remove keys from the game.

I'd love for them to remove the padding from the boxes, be upfront and publish the %'s, have the boxes themselves on a fixed drop rate and just put the cosmetics into the boxes as an item not a chance of a chance via the weapon crates.

Only downside for me with moving keys out the store and web based would be I'd have nothing to spend stipend on until a t6 kar'fi arrives.

The real issue, is that there is no Universally agreed upon Age Approval system on the internet. There's nothing stopping a kid swiping a credit card from their parent, or getting the parent to sign up on their behalf. The Nanny-State Compliance Mongers, are saying that one of their areas for concern is 'the kids' and 'those who may be vulnerable to addictive behaviours' and they can leverage that, against the lack of a Universally Agreed System. A company could just say they'll make their game credit card subscription only. But that doesn't stop a kid siping the card, or getting the parent to sign up for them. Nor does it take into account adults who don't have credit cards. Then there's the issue of the fact that the game went F2P (I would guess, due to not enough subscriptions) People have been playing the game for free for the better part of a decade: I question how many of those players, would continue to play, if a subscription was the only way to play. The issue goes way beyond 'LockBoxes are gambling!' faux-outrage in terms of its implications on the future of the game. I just hope cooler heads prevail and shut this nonsense down, before it kills, not just our game, but many games which many people enjoy...

• iamviperswhipiamviperswhip Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    The median measure I have seen from various governments is that STO or whoever would have to disclose before the purchase of a loot box the exact odds of getting every prize the loot box offers. That wouldn't dissuade gamblers but it would dissuade me. Already I cannot see the value. The keys sell for 4+ million and you open the box to get something worth 100k on the exchange, and you get 4 or 5 lobi, yay. I am so excited, I just can't hide it.

The only boxes I support are the Phoenix Prize packs, but already I don't know if I will participate again, I have all the low gear already for my alts, I have only received the Jem Attack ship from one so far, which to be fair was awesome, but I don't need anything other than the super high rolls from that pack. So I might as well use that Dilithium to make my gear better or help my fleet projects.
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing lockboxes go the way of the dinosaurs even if it means some games have to go. MMOs were more enjoyable when they didn't have the lockbox setup. Especially ones that tie power creep to their lock box systems instead of actual progression game play that keeps a story moving forward.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    nimbull wrote: »
    Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing lockboxes go the way of the dinosaurs even if it means some games have to go. MMOs were more enjoyable when they didn't have the lockbox setup. Especially ones that tie power creep to their lock box systems instead of actual progression game play that keeps a story moving forward.

The problem is that not enough people will put money into MMOs by other means like subscriptions and C-Store sales.

Would you rather have lock boxes in STO, or half as many story episodes and no Trek voice actors? Speaking for myself I'd choose the gamble boxes.