test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Philosophical Debate: Would you consider this an “exploit”?

124»

Comments

• Options
    silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    Way I see it, people have different opinions on what they like/dislike about STO. It doesn't make any one person right versus another person who has differing opinions. We all do what makes us happy in the game.
    Precisely. Since discovering that my Overflow Bag Glitch-locked favorite can only do stuff like the DSE's, and Ground Zone Loot-snatches, I've actually found that I'm perfectly happy with that, and it's actually made me less bothered about progressing the story through the episodes, on my alts :lol: I just wish I'd found it out earlier, rather than spending on alts :lol:
    echatty wrote: »
    Oh, no doubt. But if it happens-if I do have to buy new stuff to stay viable-then I say goodbye to STO.
    I definitely understand that sentiment, and to an extent, I agree, I'm just not 100% sure of where my 'that's it, I quit...' point is. Previously, I would have thought it would be if I couldn't play with my favorite character. Then a glitch meant that I couldn't use them for a lot of content, like storyline or queues, or even foundry. I created an alt, and transfered a lot of EC acros, recycled almost everything the character had picked up in the game (just before Mirrors and Smoke was released, so pretty much everything available up to that point) and then I found out, I can still do Deep Space Encounters, or Nimbus III/Kobalistan... All that gear gone (other than the few things I kept, in the hope that the glitch might be fixable) So having passed my own point of no-return, I would say, that if things ever do happen which push you to that point, just see what you can do, and see if that's enough to maintain your interest, before walking away :sunglasses:

Thank you. I will definitely think long and hard about what to do should I ever reach the "That's it..." sentiment. So far I haven't reached it because I enjoy the DSEs, Nimbus, even the Deferi dailies sometimes. I enjoy visiting the mine, social hubs, crafting and lots of stuff that has nothing to do with story content.
    This has definitely been my experience too. I quite enjoy mining, and, with enough RedBull and the right music, I can sometimes hit 800 (not sure if that's good, bad, or average, but definitely my absolute best. My average being between 600-700) My wife prefers ground content to space content, and I have a friend who pretty much levels characters just to do doffing, which is something I don't even do. The game really does have something for everyone :sunglasses:
    I believe I'll be with STO for a long time. It was the best investment my best friend made when she bought me the lifer. She hasn't regretted getting it for me and I will always be forever grateful to her generosity. I am also forever grateful to some other friends who gifted me with things they could have sold for major EC in the game. Ships, weapons, other stuff. I never look a gift horse in the mouth and I even freely give when I can with no expectations of reimbursement.
    Had you asked me a month ago about an LTS, I would have definitely said I wouldn't consider it. But. Having found that my locked favourite can get new ships, I might eventually consider it, as I've always wanted to put her in a Chimera... But it's good that you are getting so much enjoyment from the game, and, as mentioned, do always consider what your character(s) can do, rather than what they can't :sunglasses: And absolutely, it's always good to pay it forward however one can :sunglasses:
    Hope to see you ingame sometime :)
    PM Sent :sunglasses:
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    Things like this is why PVP needs to be either removed or fixed with white non customized ships. PVP needs to be pilot skill not ship build. Level the field to even ground. Until this is done PVP is going to be ignored by most.
    ^^^ 100% This :sunglasses:

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    Things like this is why PVP needs to be either removed or fixed with white non customized ships. PVP needs to be pilot skill not ship build. Level the field to even ground. Until this is done PVP is going to be ignored by most.

It won't be level because of Specializations that can not be turned off.
    And the Skill Tree, itself, has abilities tied into it, not just basic skill.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    So, I proved you wrong, that's 'what'. You claimed "I didn't buy Andrea with any toon because she's just another boff just like any boff and doesn't accomplish anything a free boff couldn't do just as well.".

I pointed out that Andrea does have an ability which free boffs don't have. So don't now try to shift the goalposts by deflecting that you consider the ability unessential. That's not the point, and is a very disingenuous, slippery evasion. The point was, she does have an ability which free boffs don't have: That point stands.
    All you proved was you lack reading comprehension. You quote me specifically saying she doesn't accomplish anything then pretend it means something other than what it says.

That ability is completely superfluous. My boffs rarely ever die and if one does it doesn't matter anyway. I've played with Nelen Exil, never even noticed if he self-rezzed or if the other boffs rezzed him like always.

If anything the Andrea boff is worse than a free one because she's non-customizable.
    So, I again, proved you wrong in your claim that players don't buy things to use in the future. Wether you consider that TR-116's are 'needed' is irrelevant. I 'bought stuff' for my character to use at a later point in the game, and I doubt I am the only player who does that. Having a set of TR-116's may not be essential to the progression of the game, but they do make Borg ground content easier. They are something well-suited to that content. Specific gear, for specific content: Something you are saying is important, and keeps things interesting. More on that in a moment...
    "Borg ground content" is current (or rather, pretty old) content, not future. It doesn't become future content just because you're procrastinating on it.

And yes, it would keep things interesting...if it weren't that the borg ground content is piece of cake even without any special gear and not even worth playing more than once for the story.
    You already made the claim that there's no need for specific gear for specific content, so you can't now try and make the claim that varied loads 'keeps things interesting', while simultaneously denying that a type of content-specific gear is necessary or relevant to the discussion. Which claim do you wish to concede? That TR-116's aren't necessary* for Borg content, or that varied gear loads keep things from being boring?

(*No, not AbsolutelyESSENTIAL but they definitely fall under the category of 'theme specific gear')
    Varied gear loads would keep things from being boring, if they were absolutely essential. The "category of theme specific gear" is basically just RP.
    So like I illustrated with the TR-116's: An option which requires planning and preparation to obtain, and which is specifically geared towards a set of content. IMO, not having to worry about hitting a remodulator every five shots, means I can focus on other aspects of the mission and actually enjoy it, and find it interesting...
    Which does not constitute a requirement.
    Are you claiming that there are no new players starting to play STO? Exclusive content, will always be relevant to new players. Will I run the Winter Event next year? Probably not, unless I have a new character in need of things like the cryoplasma warpcore. But I'm sure new players would like to acquire said content. I didn't feel the need to buy a load of Phoenix boxes (although I would like Red Matter Capacitors for all my alts) because I wasn't in the mood to throw away the dil on RNGesus just to get the upgrade tokens. The tokens would be helpful, but I had other more important things to do with the dil. But I think they're a great way for players to get things which they couldn't usually get, like the shotgun, for example. Or these mission replays to get the Ophidian cane, or the Breen or Reman boffs: Only worth doing if one needs those rewards, but it's still good that the options be available for those players who otherwise couldn't get them (because they're new players)
    Not the kind of new player who is very concerned about missing "exclusive" things. I certainly wouldn't play STO if I hadn't already got all those rewards when they were run. The phoenix box helps a bit, but it's not realistic to try get ALL the ships from it.

And I DID throw as much dil at it as I had to to get the Bulwark, the only thing in the phoenix box I needed. Just to have it, mind you. I think I've used the admiralty card a few times (it's not particularly good), but the ship went straight to drydock since it had no trait to unlock.
    Again, Borg, and TR-116's and other kinetic weapons. Cardassian Galors like using FBP, so hitting them with rapid-firing cannons, pounds the player as well. Don't Voth also do something similar with reflecting weapons fire back? Loading cannons or turrets onto a ship, means using a boff with cannon rapid fire to maximize the potential of the weapon. As I observed in the No Captain Challenge thread, in "Taris", it's more beneficial to have the Lt Sci seat as tractor beam repulsors (to keep away the D'deridex's torpedoes) than feedback pulse. For you to claim "You never need different ship for different task, you never need to select bridge officers to best fit a given job, never need to consider what weapons or abilities are effective against which enemies or counters to enemy abilities, nothing." is observably false.

Unless, of course, you're using a DPSMegaBuild, with output so high that it doesn't matter what kind or type of damage you're flavor is, the Amount of the Output, is enough to vape the target... And in which case, you're refering to a very specific set of players, not the majority, who don't have those kind of vape-builds...
    I have no idea how much DPS I do these days, nor do I care. Last I parsed was, like, back when we still had fail conditions or something. I pretty much just let the game auto-copy the gear whenever I pull a new ship, occasionally swap in different color beams or something for style and of course whatever gimmick console(s) the ship-of-the-moment has. It does well enough in anything that's worth playing.

And do note again I was using the word "need." Sure there are bazilion things I could do to improve performance, whether in general or specific to a mission, but since I don't have to...
    I don't have an issue with gear which is better suited to a particular type of content than other gear. I don't have issue with paying for Better Gear to tackle content or new content and making it easier, but that is very different to Having To Buy new Specific Gear just to progress. It's also very different, to the notion of buying A Piece of Gear, knowing full well that it will be rendered Obsolete by Another Piece of Gear, which will ALSO be rendered obsolete by Yet Another Piece of Gear (each of which, has had to be paid for rather than delivered via previous mission rewards, or ground for) and the arrogance to assume that players will just Keep Buying 'because it's Star Trek'.
    Everything in STO except subscriber perks can be acquired through gameplay.

The thing is, without requirements there can be no "progress." If you start out already capable of winning everything, you can never reach a point where you're capable of more.
    Remind me what the Player Reaction was to Delta Rising, where people had to significantly upgrade and alter their gear and T5s were rendered obsolete for T6s. Or to last year's nerfrebalance.

Did the players love it, or did the game haemorrhage players as a result?
    Strange, there. My obsolete T5 Scimitar with it's un-upgraded build was just as "OP" after Delta Rising as it was before.

In reality, T5's are still not obsolete. T6 is a sales gimmick, not a power tier. Whatever small power increase wasn't needed and still isn't needed. And the upgrade system was and continues to be like tossing dil down a well, because the game is too easy.

Whiners' gonna whine.
    But again, the point is not about wanting to, but that having to, and introducing powercreep paywalls in a game which is F2P, is a dishonest and manipulative practice, which is taking advantage of the playerbase in an unreasonable manner, 'because it's Star Trek'. This is why I pointed out that it's not possible to compare the other F2P games you mentioned, to STO, because people will play and keep playing STO 'because it's Star Trek', with an extent of personal investment, which they wouldn't have for another similar game, such as, say, Neverwinter, or WoW or EvE: They play 'because it's Star Trek', and to exploit that 'willingness to engage', risks killing the goose which lays the golden egg.
    You misunderstand. The "golden goose" of F2P has always been and will always be the few players who spend disproportionate amounts of cash just to show off that they have everything, especially all the things the free players think are too expensive.

STO is not one bit different. See also, lockbox/promo ships.

Nor should you be so quick to assume everyone is playing it just because it's Star Trek, or that everyone should be playing it just because it's Star Trek.
  • Options
    The fact that you're resorting to such semantic evasiveness in your first paragraph to backtrack what you said, not only proves the accuracy of my point, but also shows there's no point in trying to have a rational discussion, as you'll only continue to shift the goalposts of the discussion to suit yourself as you see fit. Thanks for your thoughts :sunglasses: