test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Philosophical Debate: Would you consider this an “exploit”?

Comments

• Options
    usskentuckyusskentucky Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    I wasn’t complaining. Complaining would be “wah, wah, this mean fleet of cheaters are using a broken ability to make my op p2w ship less vicious.” I merely described a scenario in neutral terms and gauged public response. Some people actually like conversations and differences of opinion so that they can figure out where people stand. But you like trying to pick fights with your pithy little comments, Cold Napalm, so do your thing boy, I ain’t mad at ya.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    nothing is an exploit until the dev says it is... if you complain loud enough maybe they will add in a component that after the effect fades or you're cured, you are 100% immune for the next 20 secs or so depending on your ability points.
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! Seems to be the consensus that there is no way to cheat at the game unless an item/ability is officially broken and acknowledged by the devs as such. I’ve always held off on things like the dyson rep shield refrequencers, tholian sticky web, and these a2s doffs because they can be used to kill a player without the player really having a chance to fight back. It must be a very vocal minority of players pushing for limitations to what is considered “fair play.” I will gladly stop handicapping myself.

From what I can gather, there has been no consideration of others or sense of fair play in PvP in a long time.

Yup...have at it.
    Never should have been handicapping yourself.
    If you can acquire the gear for it...do as you will.

Until the Devs step in to "fix it" (if ever)...
    Then, find "something else" before anyone else does and spreads it around.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    baudl wrote: »
    Should they ever go down the route of premade builds and ships for PVP scenarios that incorporate some PVE elements, I'd try it out.

Cryptic would need to find a way to monetize this. They can not afford to produce content that languishes....like the Competitive stuff. Would anyone be willing to pay to access this type of PvP ship or content?

And it can't just be "to try it out". They want people to play it and keep playing it over and over and over. Like DPS folks were/are repeating ISA for parses and people farming marks do CCA.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    In PvP anything goes. If you do a private fleet/friend pvp you can set some ground rules, but in a place like Kur'rat or whatever. You need to expect and be prepared for all the cheese.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    I stick to the traditional axiom of sto pvp that whatever *I* do is an example of skill, and whatever *you* do is an exploit

Interesting...have not heard it before. Thanks for passing it along, Repetitiveepic.

@usskentucky
    OP, tell me you are not trying to untangle all that PvP requires by yourself. Try to find a team or a fleet to work with. Please. I was sitting here all dinner time thinking about that. Sorry, I have mother hen tendencies.

• Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Should they ever go down the route of premade builds and ships for PVP scenarios that incorporate some PVE elements, I'd try it out.

Cryptic would need to find a way to monetize this. They can not afford to produce content that languishes....like the Competitive stuff. Would anyone be willing to pay to access this type of PvP ship or content?

And it can't just be "to try it out". They want people to play it and keep playing it over and over and over. Like DPS folks were/are repeating ISA for parses and people farming marks do CCA.

off the top of my head I can come up with at least 3 ways to monetize it.
    1) access to certain premade ship classes via the z-store. Example: TNG era - battleground where you start out as a miranda (T6 prebuild) and via the z-store you get access to galaxy class prebuild, nebula class prebuild, and other prebuild variations...maybe even give access to all the ships from the era, but buy different build variations.
    2) Skins - meaning that you get access to various skin variations for your PVP ship
    3) choosing a certain ship in the PVP queue requires a dilithium fee...so if you want to spawn as a galaxy class, you need to put down 5k dilithium or whatever.

these are just ideas, neither refined nore comprehensively thought through...but there are certaqinly ways to monetize PVP for Cryptic. So that ain't really an argument for them not to implement it.

for other ideas they basically only need to look at other games that have fixed classes, with semi fixed abilities.

of course the main motivation can only be done through a ranking system...

But I think Cryptic has no real interest to expand the MMO part of their MMORPG, since they are quite comfortable in their bracket of single player with a little multiplayer put in for good measure.
    Post edited by baudl on
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
    ...It must be a very vocal minority of players pushing for limitations to what is considered “fair play.” I will gladly stop handicapping myself.

I think that's a good decision. I think it's always a very vocal minority who make these kinds of complaints. Besides, if they were the ones who had the advantage, they would use it.
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • Options
    bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    I would consider an exploit something like the plasma nullifiers or research lab consoles that were bugged so badly that you could one-shot anything on the screen. People were getting absurdly high DPS, like 600,000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVdAh6nvYLY
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    djf021 wrote: »
    ...It must be a very vocal minority of players pushing for limitations to what is considered “fair play.” I will gladly stop handicapping myself.

I think that's a good decision. I think it's always a very vocal minority who make these kinds of complaints. Besides, if they were the ones who had the advantage, they would use it.

Actually...in PvP, it's not the minority...it's the majority. Druk has it right. Most of them believe that whatever they do is skill and anything that beats them is an exploit. This ain't the first time the OP has been on here to complain that other people are using exploits...nor is he the only PvPer to do the same. And the chats in PvP are even worse. Hell, when I blew up one of these A2SIF guys with a crit heavy AP build with high control resist, he accused me of using an exploit because I was a romulan. So no...not the minority. The vast majority of general PvP in this game is toxic as hell with people like the OP who thinks anything they do is fine but hell if anyone beats them. Oh and the superiority complexes these people have...I have never seen a group trying so hard to make up for a lack of manhood in my life. They really should just remove PvP PUGs and zones in this game and religate it to private only where people can set whatever limit they want.

there's no real reason to sling mud here, CN. Thing is, PvP as an activity is pretty much never going to be commercially viable, it's a relic of the first iteration of the game's design, and like cross-faction teaming, it's too much bother to remove it, while being something the developers really don't want to have here.
    (actually, the dev team WANTS to do Cross-faction teaming, but their tech guy already told them 'No', see P1 podcast from last week).

off the top of my head I can come up with at least 3 ways to monetize it.
    1) access to certain premade ship classes via the z-store. Example: TNG era - battleground where you start out as a miranda (T6 prebuild) and via the z-store you get access to galaxy class prebuild, nebula class prebuild, and other prebuild variations...maybe even give access to all the ships from the era, but buy different build variations.
    2) Skins - meaning that you get access to various skin variations for your PVP ship
    3) choosing a certain ship in the PVP queue requires a dilithium fee...so if you want to spawn as a galaxy class, you need to put down 5k dilithium or whatever.

these are just ideas, neither refined nore comprehensively thought through...but there are certaqinly ways to monetize PVP for Cryptic. So that ain't really an argument for them not to implement it.

for other ideas they basically only need to look at other games that have fixed classes, with semi fixed abilities.

of course the main motivation can only be done through a ranking system...

But I think Cryptic has no real interest to expand the MMO part of their MMORPG, since they are quite comfortable in their bracket of single player with a little multiplayer put in for good measure.

You can monetize it-but can you make it profitable? Not "Ferengi Profitable" but just...profitable enough to pay for itself??

See, I'll argue that you can't. The audience for PvP is small, and getting smaller. It's already passed the point where you can have or build a good, active, community and it's down to a few hangers-on and the trolls...and that's all that's really left, with the hangers-on still declining.

There is nothing to attract players in, there's nothing to make matches for those hypothetical new guys an experience worth enduring again.

and I say 'Enduring' because 15/0 isn't fun, even on the winning side, which most newguys won't ever see.

it offers nothing, not immersion, not rp, not rewards, nothing.

It might've been salvageable in 2014, it's so screwed up now there's simply no reason to start doing it.

and this is by intentional design.

you see, removing the factional nature removed th e last barrier to uncontrolled power-creep, because it removed the last consideration of balance. we're so far into it that even a very moderate balancing effort drew nothing but storms of protest from people who weren't even impacted by it.

PvP in this game is simply no longer worth consideration, it doesn't have the audience, or the potential audience, to exert any effort to make use of, but...it's a dead mass that can't be shed. The technical requirements are built too deeply into the game engine and would require too many man-hours to do the right thing, and just remove it.

I'm afraid that you might be right...although the playerbase is still pretty large as a whole. should they be able to activate a good portion of players to participate in PVP this would work. Also their recent efforts of revitalizing PVP with the PVP faction shows that this argument can't be true. They try to invest in PVP, but not as comprehensively as it is needed.

The question for profitability I guess depends on the resources invested, and I'd say my ideas are not that resource intense. Most if not all assets exist and they could implement it step by step with one map at a time.
    Now, developing and implementing a ranking system would be a developement effort, but to look at it in a way that implementation X needs to create Y amount of profit is not how this works. There always has to be a bigger picture in mind and not immediate profit numbers.

I guess that there is another reason at Cryptic than "it ain't profitable" at work for them to ignore PVP. Sure, low player numbers might be it, but even they can't be blind to the fact that if there is nothing there, nobody will come. And even the things that are there are extremely out of balance and create frustration with new players.

What I really don't get is, that there are so many examples for interesting and exciting PVP-PVE mixed scenarios in so many other games out there, they would just need to adapt one of them for their game. I was so excited for the PVP faction and the STF mission when they announced them, but in the end they were just a mediocre start for what could have been a really refreshing new type of gameplay in STO. After that I saw that Crytic tried to implement something compelling, but never managed to reach somthing that stood out of mediocracy. And in my opinion the main problem with PVP, the crushing performance gap between players who "know" and those who "don't know".

Personally I tend to agree with you that it might not be worth the effort for Cryptic, but at the same time their efforts never really result in something outstanding...reason for that, I guess they just don't have the right people for creating (or even copying) engaging PVP content.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

Must be epic fail then the colony simulation is the only remotely-recent non-event content that people want to keep playing over and over.

But no, they aren't ever going to do anything to PvP. They even left it out from the queue system revamp.
  • Options
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Competitive Marks had the shortest turnaround to date from release in their own queues, to being included in the easiest PvE content in the game (less than 30 days).
    Second shortest. Lukari marks were in the alerts immediately after release.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Lukari being available in the revised (shortened) 'Breach' Event had all of my Characters with about 2,000 Lukari Marks before the sponsored ones started the Reputation. That Breach Event came about about five weeks after the Lukari Reputation premiered in late January 2017.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    usskentuckyusskentucky Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    I’m not going to quit PVP over this or I would have years ago. In fact, if PVP goes I will probably quit playing the game, as other players are the only enemies I find challenging after so long. I don’t say that to brag. But space NPCs (hitpoint sponges) just don’t do anything for me. I actually prefer ground PVE over space PVE these days. Invasion Sim and Elite grounds are all I run unless I am in Ker’rat. Is the community toxic? No, not really. There are smack talkers. But nothing is more toxic than the politics in ESD zone chat. And those are mostly PVE players.

However, PvP queues are largely dead, a fact I blame on the aforementioned fleet and one or two others like it. I know for a fact that they are griefers as I’ve been teamed with them in Arena and Core Assault, where I watch them hunt for PUG teams to disable and confuse until the clock runs out or the opposing team warps. They laugh about it in their team chat.

Here’s the thing. They’ve been doing this same stuff for YEARS. I asked your opinions in my post because, even if the items aren’t broken or the skills aren’t exploitative, the reality of the situation is that these players are using them in a way which drives players away from PVP as a whole. PVP may not be your thing, just as PVE isn’t really my thing, but I worry when changes to PVE content cause the queues to go empty. I want the game to succeed. And it seems to me that the more playstyles we have available to consumers, the broader STOs appeal will be to the gaming community. I would welcome cookie cutter PVP ships to level the playing field.

Good for them for inventing brilliant tactics, I guess, and I keep playing and trying to adapt. But these fleets dont seem to be invested in the success of the game. If I used their tactics, I might chuckle a little, but I’d soon move on to something more holistic for my build, something that couldn’t be made obsolete by a change to a single game mechanic. But they don’t think that way. They just grind new players and those with F2P builds into the dust, every day, all day, until the number of queued players reaches zero. Every. Single. Time. When something gets released that brings PVPers back for a day, those fleets are there, waiting, making 0/15 matches all they’ll see until the give up and quit STO again.

This isn’t a problem of toxic chat channels. If any of these players actually cared about the game they would at least stop running nothing but premades. And, yes, I too have seen the little trick they use by getting one member of their fleet on the opposing team so that the other four can play together. That player usually doesn’t participate, sandbagging his PUG team by sitting idle at the spawn to make it even more likely to be 0/15 match.

This is why in my OP I differentiated between single and team play. It’s one thing to run unbalanced mechanics one on one. There are 1000s of combinations to choose from as a counter. It’s totally possible to overcome A2S or any other cheap trick one on one. But when the reality of PVP Arena dictates that you will be facing 4 of them on the other team, one on your own, and a bunch of PUGs trying to figure out PVP for the first time, your chances of getting more than 1 or 2 kills in a match are pretty slim.

Honestly, Ker’rat seems as lively as it has ever been. My Klingon fleet had 11 members in one instance just last week, battling a massive Feddy ball of players from all kinds of different fleets. Usually, the Arena and Core Assault griefers don’t come to Ker’rat as their little “strategies” don’t work as well.

maybe the players in these fleets are devs and THAT is how they plan to kill PVP.

I’m off to equip an A2S doff, five dyson shield refrequencers (yeah, they still work), shield overload, and as much temporal spam as I can cram onto my ship. See you on the flip side.
  • Options
    tfomegatfomega Member Posts: 812 Arc User

I think the point your missing is that the PvP community does so many things to try and make up for Dev oversight (or maybe intention) and lack of QA at Cryptic. Tyler Durden matches with no traits, no reps, minus certain mechanics, etc... to compensate for Dev/QA shortsightedness.

Every once in awhile, you will find a player (lots of them in Ker'rat actually) who takes advantage of the Dev/QA faults and builds something like a placate build where we can put on aux2sif with the placate doff, comp rep shield, failsafe scrambler, evade target lock, and all the other multitude of "hiding" TRIBBLE in the game to completely annoy and frustrate any opponent they fight. I mean, after all, it does make sense, right? The best way to win a fight is to present yourself as a target as infrequently as possible. And then they taunt everyone saying "I'm good and you suck".

Hell, why even work on your defense rating or have greater than 75% resistance. Why work on having more hull or shield capacity or worry about that bleed through on shields that makes you want to have more shield hardness.

Instead, just build your ship for maximum DPS without working on any aspect of defense. Why? Because you can just placate your enemy to death and know that they really can't counter you. If you do get into a jam.. don't worry.. your next placate will be available in 1 second. Then you can continue to taunt your opponent and say again, "I'm good and you suck" when you only have to work on half a build.

The worst part of it is.. placate doesn't even really affect PvE as NPCs can still target you. So our brilliant Dev/QA teams and product owners at Cryptic are just sitting back and laughing at destroying the PvP community even further. I mean, they don't add any PvP content to the game and yet, they have to destroy what little we do have. I say they are an evil and sadistic game developer.

Is it fair, OP? nope, but it is what it is. You can try things like Attack Pattern Lambda for 250-500 starship perception. You can try intel team to try and counter the wisdom of the Dev and QA department of Cryptic. But in the end.. you'll find that nothing can really counter a build like that.

Just like all of cryptic's new tricks. How can one counter viral engine overload trait + cold hearted starship trait when everyone is using it. When you have a 3v1 against you and all 3 of them have that TRIBBLE on, you pretty much can't move. Yet another absolutely and positively brilliant Dev/QA Cryptic creation. They don't even know what they have, in order to know what they shouldn't do.

Thank God they do not program tactical simulators for any government military!!! We'd lose our next war!

I AM NOT A FAN OF PWE!!!!
    MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2010
  • Options
    If anything, I think the PvP community's biggest failing has been to not distance itself from the "No Items, Fox Only, Final Destination" -crowd.

Because this is obviously not that kind of game and the devs are obviously not interested in turning it into that kind of game.
    tfomega wrote: »
    Thank God they do not program tactical simulators for any government military!!! We'd lose our next war!
    Here's a little advice about war: coming up with tactics the enemy can't counter is the point.
  • Options
    tfomegatfomega Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Here's a little advice about war: coming up with tactics the enemy can't counter is the point.

tactics that can't be countered, yes.. cryptic voodoo, no

I AM NOT A FAN OF PWE!!!!
    MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2010