test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Halloween Costume Contest!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,675 Community Manager
This Tuesday, join us in game on all three platforms for a Costume Contest with a chance to win a piece of STO history!

Full details here:
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10701224
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User
    Sounds like fun.
    But my Space Barbie Kung Fu is weak.
    sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Will the price be shipped worldwide?​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,675 Community Manager
    Yup!
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I have a feeling mine will be a very common choice, since it's the easiest to pull off
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    Time to either break out the Darth Vader look or Superman look
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
      I'll see if I can make it there with my D.Va character. ;)
    • Options
      legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User

it says costumes will be judged on originality and creativity...taking a look from another universe is neither of those things, no matter how good you manage to make it look in STO​​
      Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
      An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
      A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
      A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
      "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
      Passion and Serenity are one.
      I gain power by understanding both.
      In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
      I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
      The Force is united within me.
    • Options
      jaredza#2872 jaredza Member Posts: 80 Arc User
      Space Barbie time!
    • Options
      mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
      To me the thing is in what direction are the people at Cryptic looking at for creativity and originality? It's a very large area to cover with all the various genres and so on out there, would it be specifically related to the halloween theme? In which case i could come up with something and join in. However 3pm pacific time would be quite late in the day in the UK and Europe in translation, which more or less eliminates anyone outside the USA except those who really want to break with their usual patterns to try their luck.

Problem is i can't really complain about it as asking for an earlier time would eliminate a lot of americans due to school and work, the Australians can't get a say in.

But a suggestion to create two events on the same thing, one for Australia and the USA and make it something like 5pm PT and another for Europe much earlier in the day something like 9am PT, and then combine them so no one misses out due to timing.
      T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
      Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    • Options
      djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
      To me the thing is in what direction are the people at Cryptic looking at for creativity and originality? It's a very large area to cover with all the various genres and so on out there, would it be specifically related to the halloween theme? In which case i could come up with something and join in.

I was wondering the same thing.
      C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
      -Captain James T. Kirk
    • Options
      dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
      edited October 2017
      • A prize of a physical copy of the game? Is it a leftover from when STO launched in 2010? Cause who does physical copies anymore? :D
      • A copy of a F2P game. How exciting. Especially when you have to have the game already to enter the contest.
      • I got a hard copy from launch time. It's a basic clear-ish DVD case with a paper STO insert. So collectable! ;)

Yeah, yeah, I know... it's a contest more for fun that prizes, but better to have no prize than helping Cryptic clean out a closet of unused game discs! Shipping a DVD costs $2.63 via media mail domestically. Just give people 263 Zen instead. ;)
    • Options
      • A prize of a physical copy of the game? Is it a leftover from when STO launched in 2010? Cause who does physical copies anymore? :D
      • A copy of a F2P game. How exciting. Especially when you have to have the game already to enter the contest.
      • I got a hard copy from launch time. It's a basic clear-ish DVD case with a paper STO insert. So collectable! ;)

Yeah, yeah, I know... it's a contest more for fun that prizes, but better to have no prize than helping Cryptic clean out a closet of unused game discs! Shipping a DVD costs $2.63 via media mail domestically. Just give people 263 Zen instead. ;)

Does the original boxed copy have any beneficial unlocks, like the Steamrunner or something?

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
      -Captain James T. Kirk
    • Options
      legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
      depends which version it is - there were several different versions at launch, each giving a different unique unlock in addition to the shared stuff

the big prize is the collector's edition with the red matter capacitor unlock in it​​
      Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
      An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
      A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
      A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
      "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
      Passion and Serenity are one.
      I gain power by understanding both.
      In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
      I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
      The Force is united within me.
    • Options
      depends which version it is - there were several different versions at launch, each giving a different unique unlock in addition to the shared stuff

the big prize is the collector's edition with the red matter capacitor unlock in it​​

Which isn't so big anymore due to the Phoenix box...I've got that on all 12 of my characters now...

-Captain James T. Kirk
    • Options
      ricosakararicosakara Member Posts: 422 Arc User
      edited October 2017
      This looks like a job for my Delta Recruit, Ray Tracer, from ReBoot.
    • Options
      mooncrystalpowermooncrystalpower Member Posts: 126 Arc User
      edited October 2017
      OHhhh Cryptic, you DO love me!!! A Costume Contest?!?! Yahoo!!!! ~-~\º(^v^)º/~-~ Yeahhhahaha!!!!

lOkAn.gif

Ehhehehe...best of luck to all contestants!!

tumblr_mesxvmv6IG1ro8ba4o1_400.gif
      l6aD2g7.gif
      I am the one, the ORIGINAL/Official Sailor Moon of STO! ~-~º(^v~)ºv~-~
    • Options
      rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,028 Community Moderator
      I'll be there.
      it says costumes will be judged on originality and creativity...taking a look from another universe is neither of those things, no matter how good you manage to make it look in STO​​

Most modern Halloween costumes are based on something Shadow. I'm sure we'll see one or two KDF Orions doing Wonder Woman. There's only so many generic variations on a theme you can do. There's also gonna be stuff from pop culture.

As for me... I... have me a plan.

See you guys on Risa!
      300?cb=20141028220859
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • Options
      burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
      How about another option than having to pray you get lucky to either a) be a nonmerican who can get on at the right time and b) Hope noone is playing shenanigans with a bot army to fill the instance to increase their odds by letting us submit costumes here Ambassaordokael?
    • Options
      ogaduby wrote: »
      well, F you too Ambassador Kael for ignoring non-americans... 3pm PT is midnight time in europe, and it's not cool how you spit in the face to other players from around the world...

Its not intentional as Cryptic is based out of California, aka West Coast United States. Its no different than when a non American based MMO holds events at a certain time. That's just how timezones work out.
      burstorion wrote: »
      How about another option than having to pray you get lucky to either a) be a nonmerican who can get on at the right time and b) Hope noone is playing shenanigans with a bot army to fill the instance to increase their odds by letting us submit costumes here Ambassaordokael?

I'm sure our CM will be active in Zone Chat to let us know which instances will be visited. And I seriously doubt a lot of people will have the technical skill to basically DDoS everyone out of an instance via bots.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • Options
      duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User

Thanks! Got my costume set and...no comment.

*Evil laugh*
      Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
      Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
      Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    • Options
      ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
      It might be a tad late for me as UK here and its a work night, but I am interested to see how creative people have been with the STO tailor, so i might try to pop on with one of my Characters.

maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
    • Options
      atlantis#9395 atlantis Member Posts: 55 Arc User
      edited October 2017
      I am sure that I will not be able to attend, so I made Screenshots of my Costume.

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|2048:1280&composite-to%3D%2A%2C%2A%7C2048%3A1280&background-color=black
    • Options
      smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,665 Arc User
      OHhhh Cryptic, you DO love me!!! A Costume Contest?!?! Yahoo!!!! ~-~\º(^v^)º/~-~ Yeahhhahaha!!!!

lOkAn.gif

tumblr_mesxvmv6IG1ro8ba4o1_400.gif

You a shoe-in to win, meatball head! :)
      dvZq2Aj.jpg
    • Options
      burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
      That was an example @rattler2 , I have seen and heard of some (then) active fleets that have clogged up an entire risa/xmas wonderland intance with fleeties so the competitions could be 'fixed'

Never doubt the lengths people will go to win.
    • Options
      themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
      Heh... best of luck to all.

I look forward to finding out who my two fellow winners will be.
      Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
      2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
      3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
      4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
      5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
      6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
      7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
      8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
    • Options
      @smokebailey Oh I think I'll give meatball head a run for her money.
      @burstorion If they try to do that again... there will be a lot of angry players. Myself included.
    • Options
      smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,665 Arc User
      rattler2 wrote: »
      @smokebailey Oh I think I'll give meatball head a run for her money.
      @burstorion If they try to do that again... there will be a lot of angry players. Myself included.

Time will tell. this outtabe fun
      dvZq2Aj.jpg
    • Options
      bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
      edited October 2017
      I am sure that I will not be able to attend, so I made Screenshots of my Costume.

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|2048:1280&composite-to%3D%2A%2C%2A%7C2048%3A1280&background-color=black

That reminds me ... I was going to suggest a screenshot contest of Halloween costumes for players who are unable to attend the event in person.

I'm hoping to catch some of the event, as I should be getting home from work sometime during the PC event. I came up with several costumes over the weekend... ;)
    • Options
      captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User

Or the Darth Kal-El look! ;)
    This discussion has been closed.