test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why so many people doing sompek timed wrong?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    asuran14 wrote: »
    warpangel wrote: »
    I would say the other way around actually. That it was designed with the idea of it lasting 20 min, or as a race against the clock type stf, while the getting a merit after X round completed is the safety net to ensure that if you get at least so far you will get credit for the run. So than people would not view the stf as one that unless you live till the timer finished the run was a waste of time.
    Then why doesn't it give any kind of recognition (no reward, no accolade, not even a different end message) for outlasting the timer? And for what purpose would such a queue be added anyway?

No, it was most likely meant to separate the long-runners and the just-get-the-token people so they wouldn't ruin each other's runs, the only significant complaint in the first version of the event. It obviously failed at that.

I normally get more marks and even dill for living to the timer, compared to if the group only made it to round 5-6, so it does give you additional rewards for living to the end fo the timer. Also I have gotten quite a few accolades from doing the timed, but they are the same accolade as i would have gotten for getting that far in the unlimited timer version. Also the fact that you can get the merit regardless of what version you do if you survive till at least round 5-6 kinda says that it is not a unique fact of the timed version, but a safety measure that is universal for both so if you survive to this point you get credit.

Now I would say it was created with two style of play in mind, the unlimited run being for those players wanting to see how many rounds they can last before being overwhelmed, while the timed being for those wanting to see how many rounds they can complete in the given time frame. An i would say that the playerbase gravitated towards the timed as it means that even if you get a group that doesn't want to die at round five/six is you will only be in there for 20 min max compared to the potential of an hour or more in the untimed.
    Congratulations for completely ignoring the post you quoted. ;)

How so? You said that it gives no reward/accolade/new end massage for making the timer. Well it does give more rewards for meeting the timer just not one that is unique to that version of the stf. An I do not believe the untimed version has a differen end mission either regardless of how far you get, but you do get accolades for going a certain distance in rounds (some of which can be gotten in timed). Only the very highest accolade s from getting to certain rounds, and the dance most likely are unable to be gotten in timed. Why should it give anything more than additional dil/marks for meeting the timer?
    It does not give more rewards for meeting the timer, it gives the exact same rewards you'd get for dying on whatever round it happens to be at.

The untimed version can't have alternate ending, because there is only one way to end it (team dies).
    An I did say the timed is more built for players that want to test how many rounds they can complete in a finite timeframe. That would be just as good a reason to create a timed version as luring away the quick-merit runner, though I would say that if the devs wanted to specifically lure away the quick-merit crowd they would have made it a 5-6 round mission as that would actually lure away that type of player from the untimed version.

I will agree that if it was the dev's intent to have the timed version, which I do not think it was, be there to lure away the quick merit-run players away from the untimed version it did not fully succeed.
    No, it's not just as good. Getting the short and long run players their own queues so they can all have their own fun their own way and not interfere with each other is an actual problem the mission had that needed resolving, that people asked to be resolved the first time the event ran. Whereas anyone could always just run untimed with a stopwatch to "test how many rounds they can complete in a finite timeframe." I'm pretty sure nobody actually did that or asked support for doing that, though. That's something people only came up with after the short queue already existed.

Yes, they absolutely should've made the short version end at round 5. That's why it failed.
  • Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    Is this farce still going?
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    I'm still not going to ever die at 5 just because other people want me to.
    Yeah, if you see this guy:
    beforeandafter_by_marhawkman-d7r0hl8.png
    He's gonna shoot a LOT of stuff.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    So far, today....7 toons....I have YET been able to get past round 6, thanks to these gimps. And I tell them, "Thanks for nothing", and they go "You want to go more than 5 rounds, go private que!"

Of the ARROGANCE. :(

This is how I feel about this mentality
    RNu8TbR.jpg
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    Then I fight on alone if I have to and keep picking them up :D
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options

Problem is when ya got either a dozen Nakul or Vaaduar turning your face into raw hamburger, and you are all alone.....one is gonna be eating floor.

Wish we had some item to use on these guys who stay dead during the later rounds.....like a pain stick, or bury em.
      dvZq2Aj.jpg
    • Options
      theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
      Temporal device :D
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      • Options
        The most fun is when you're lying dead in the hazard zone and some tryhard comes rez you and in the process get hits by fire or lightning. :p I've even had the mission end that way.
      • Options
        redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
        Problem is when ya got either a dozen Nakul or Vaaduar turning your face into raw hamburger, and you are all alone.....one is gonna be eating floor.
        Well, you could go Engineer or Science. Either class has access to kit modules (when combined with certain Traits and Gear) that render them nearly unkillable for the first 30 or 40 rounds, depending on player skill.
      • Options
        Temporal device :D

Do that, but when ya got a lot of monsters shooting at yas....sometimes I drop again in a split second before hypo time. :#
        dvZq2Aj.jpg
      • Options
        The most fun is when you're lying dead in the hazard zone and some tryhard comes rez you and in the process get hits by fire or lightning. :p I've even had the mission end that way.

If we could TRIBBLE in the game, I'd be decorating you <_<
        dvZq2Aj.jpg
      • Options
        postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
        There's been times I've used the temporal device and seen others get ressed by it but not myself while other times I've been near a body and using it does nothing. Maybe it was an early example of cryptics current love of not proof reading blogs before posting them and they didnt spot that its actually meant to be called the temperamental device

Using it during a lightning round is simply a waste as you are immune for 2 secs but locked from doing anything for 3 which strikes me as a massive flaw given how little health it gives you.
      • Options
        I enjoy the Sompek, but the group discusses the situation and wants to end it early, I'll concede. I have enough characters that the cooldown will be up on one of them.

I got into a PUG and no one discussed anything. Then round 7 went by and a member of the team started insulting me. Too bad for them I was on an Engineer. :smile:
      • Options
        drazursouthclawdrazursouthclaw Member Posts: 223 Arc User
        edited September 2017
        L0ZJ4YP.png
        Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
      • Options
        I officially loathe this event.

Everyone wants to play for 3 minutes or for an hour. There does not seem to be a middle ground.

"If you don't want to play for 4 rounds, go play unlimited

"If you don't want to play for hours, go play timed"
      • Options
        jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
        I enjoy the event when I login to play STO. I don't really care about the Sompek Pulsewave. Most of the time when I play the timed version the mission typically ends at the 20 minute mark, or close enough to it.

Weekends are reserved for the unlimited mission so that all 11 of my characters can at least play the mission once during the weekend.
      • Options
        postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
        I actually had the temperamental device work yesterday in a match where one person decided it was a 5 and die and instead of taking up my suggestion to go make a coffee they lay and boasted about how their main had got to 100 as if that was a valid reason. Think we got to around 25 in the full 20 minutes.

Funny thing is, if they had asked (first spoke up at round 9) a little bit more politely I might have been willing to stop. I'm usually quite willing if two or three mentions it but being petulant doesn't tend to work well.

They even tried the "do a premade if you don't want 5&die" arguement, to which I pointed out they could also do the same.
      • Options
        aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
        I was in a group with my blue team primary and we initially were going to do a 5 and die after 4 people agreed at that point. Then someone commented that they were not geared and it was an alt subsequently two others also said the same about traits and weapons and not being able to survive long enough to last long anyway so five was good... Then the final person chimed in and said they were trying so hard to get the dance emote for the longest time (I guess the past two weeks) but they always wipe fast so they did not care but they were very sad yet again they would fail. Consequently two others also said it was a dream but not gonna happen.

Then another said he was full specked sniper so I told them I was a full team support specked tac with all the extras and with a reasonably skilled sniper we could likely two man it to 20+ if necessary with a little luck so we changed the plan dynamically on wave 5 no less and went the distance...

We got to wave 26 in the timed. They were very stoked. I then changed my title from Kirk's Protege to The Glorious... It was lot of fun...
        If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
        Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
        Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
        ingame: @.Spartan
        Romulan_Republic_logo.png
        Former Alpha & Beta Tester
        Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
        The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
      • Options
        risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User

Wish we had some item to use on these guys who stay dead during the later rounds.....like a pain stick, or bury em.

I was lucky yesterday, a Jem'Hadar was stuck in the wall. So staying alive was very easy this time :)

I wouldn't have had a problem with dying after round 5... I mean, if everyone agrees and people ask about other's intentions, I'm fine with it. If, however, one or two players already refuse to move in those first 5 rounds because they really are that lazy and basically start demanding that others get themselves killed...

Let's just say that I am not going to be the most cooperative kind of person in such instances ;)

A couple of days ago some players asked nicely if anyone wanted to move on after round 5. None of us wanted to, so we agreed to just get ourselves killed. And we did - after round 7 or so because nothing much happened at round 5 and 6, enemies were too weak. Attitude makes a real difference to me - if someone shows some consideration for his or her team member's motives, I'm willing to do the same. If, however, the majority even starts to think that they can force the one or two players who do want to continue, they'd better think again. Cause I'll do everything I can to help those one or two players, even if it's just to annoy the ones making demands.

No one should expect others to care about their 'die at round 5' goals if those same players don't even show the slightest concern for what the others want. On the other hand, one can fully expect and should anticipate that, if you join a public queue, there are going to be players in it who actually want to play the mission - as intended too. If they don't like that, then I suggest they play pre-mades; which most people seem to do fortunately.
      • Options
        To be specific, one should anticipate that joining a public queue there will be random players with random plans re: the mission. Thus, if it's important to you that everyone play the mission a specific way, you form your own team. In pugs you get randos. Always.

Personally, I got it done on all toons in the timed pug, usually 5-and-die but there were the occasional tryhards. To which I responded by parking myself over the hazard zone on round 6 as always and doing Admiralty, doffs, etc for the rest of the time if the others didn't follow.

No point screaming about people "doing it wrong" in chat. It's a pug, it's to be expected.
      • Options
        mez83mez83 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
        I ran one yesterday where I was the last one standing in round 4 & about to go down myself. (not sure how it for off to such a rough start) I activated the tempral devise right as I died, got the whole team back up only went 14 round though.