test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why so many people doing sompek timed wrong?

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    So. No agreement. LOL! :smile: Gotcha!
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I like how there is a different sort of challenge with the 20min. how many rounds can you complete before time runs out? It's FUN!

My best is 30 rounds.
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    where2r1 wrote: »
    So...no one has come to any agreement on which Sompek use for speed runs or which to use for power runs, yet? And still arguing. Imagine that.

That is the thing not everyone in your group in either are going to want the same thing. So it is a fact if you want a quick 5-6 round merit run you should either ask the group, or just go looking for a pre-made merit run. I personally would have rather seen them create a five/six round version of the que that would appeal to those wanting to do a quick que for the merit, and then leaving the other two for those players interested in what those ques are built for (either a endurance run, or a race against the clock.).
    asuran14 wrote: »

That is the thing not everyone in your group in either are going to want the same thing. So it is a fact if you want a quick 5-6 round merit run you should either ask the group, or just go looking for a pre-made merit run. I personally would have rather seen them create a five/six round version of the que that would appeal to those wanting to do a quick que for the merit, and then leaving the other two for those players interested in what those ques are built for (either a endurance run, or a race against the clock.).

I am not sure those other two queues would get used.
    Then people would be complaining the "longer" ones don't "pop!"

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    where2r1 wrote: »

I am not sure those other two queues would get used.
    Then people would be complaining the "longer" ones don't "pop!"

Depends on the reward they give for completing them. If the five/six round version were set up to be more of a merit run, with a reward payout roughly at what you would get for doing a "five/six and die" run it would still be more profitable for players seeking higher payouts an marks to run the longer versions. I have personally seen alot of groups an players that want to do the longer 20 min run, and the endurance run over a quick merit run, yet such a change/addition might slow the popping of the longer ruins it would also make it that people would not have their time wasted by other players seeking a short run for the merit.
    You think there are more people wanting to do this for a long haul, than people want to get the token on alts?

• jrq2jrq2 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    For one, you cannot play the timed version of this game in a PUG setting, only because most players will not come in fully geared and fully skilled for this mission.

The only way for this mission to be played at its full potential would be to create a private queue where you can form a strategy on how to maximize the team's survival.

The PUG version of this game is really meant for those players that just want to get the token without having to commit into a long battle, you know the AFkers, or those that get carpal tunnel syndrome after 10 minutes of just clicking on the mouse.
    jrq2 wrote: »
    For one, you cannot play the timed version of this game in a PUG setting, only because most players will not come in fully geared and fully skilled for this mission.

The only way for this mission to be played at its full potential would be to create a private queue where you can form a strategy on how to maximize the team's survival.

The PUG version of this game is really meant for those players that just want to get the token without having to commit into a long battle, you know the AFkers, or those that get carpal tunnel syndrome after 10 minutes of just clicking on the mouse.

What do you mean? That you cant play this timed event in a pug setting, since I have played it in a pug an in a pre-made group. Not everyone wants or desires to play the game in a optimal setting, to test how they can adapt an how well their own build or playstyle works outside such a setting.

The pre-made groups do go further, but outside of that it was just as fun an interesting to do as a pug. I have seen more than enough of the groups i am in that do go for the 20 min timed run go over quite well an get to between 25-35 rounds. Pre-mades are always going to be better, but some people do not want to take the time to make a pre-made an prefer to just que. Of the 20ish runs I do in a day of the timed I get more full runs than the short runs (12 full to 8 short runs). What is more I see many that just will do what the majority in the group desire to do instead of fighting over it, even though they will say they prefer the full run.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    anodynes wrote: »
    It's 20 minutes, just play through to the end. The higher rounds you get in those 20 minutes means higher rewards, it's not profitable just stopping at wave 5.

You have that backwards. I've yet to have a group that takes over 3 minutes to finish round 4, and I've also yet to have a group that goes the distance get past round 27. The reward for that extra 16 or so minutes is 0 more dilithium, 56 more marks (less than double the amount from finishing round 4) and an upgrade of the Normal Weekend bonus materials box to an Elite Weekend bonus materials box.

Quite frankly, 20 minutes is a good endurance test because that's how it's designed

Quite frankly, even in the queue description it says "or until 20 minutes have elapsed." It's designed to end when everyone is dead. The time limit is a safety net in case you get on a team that both wants to and is capable of keeping it going for well over an hour, just like going 4 rounds to get your reward is a safety net to keep groups of 5 people from going in with no armor, no shields and no traits slotted and getting wiped by whatever weak release-era group that you get in the first round. Nothing in the description or the design guarantees you 20 minutes in the timed version.

Unlimited is a good endurance test. 20 minutes is an arbitrary number.

Keep moving those goalposts, though.

I did finally run into some people in some untimed runs that wanted to die early. It happened twice over the weekend. one of them decided to do it early and I left. No nasty words. I just didn't want a cooldown timer because of it without getting what I was in there for, which was my accolade and emote. The second one said something about it being time for everyone to die at around round 19, but those of us still fighting were managing some pretty lucky rezzes. The early dropper soon got back up and helped, and I told him by /tell afterward that I appreciated him getting back in there and putting in the effort.

You see, I've been on the other side of this, too, even in this very event. I do what is the best for fulfilling my current goal. When it's about getting the merit for the day, it's (hopefully) dead at 5 or 6 in a timed run and on to the next one. When it was about getting the emote, it was in an untimed, giving my all the whole way through until we died or completed my particular goal, whichever came last. I stuck it out on one pretty great random team that got through round 44 before the boom fell on us. If the team in a timed was willing to go the distance, even if that wasn't my plan, I adapted and helped. If it looked like they had what it took to get through round 21, then I gave everything I had, and was sometimes (on about half of my characters) rewarded for my ability to switch modes with both a merit and an emote, at the cost of some minor inconvenience in my schedule.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • terlokiterloki Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    third_way.png
    Admiral Katrina Tokareva - U.S.S. Cosmos, Yorktown-class Star Cruiser
    Admiral Dananra Lekall - R.R.W. Teverresh, Deihu-class Warbird
    General J'Kar son of K'tsulan - I.K.S. Dlahath, Vo'devwl-class Carrier
    I would say the other way around actually. That it was designed with the idea of it lasting 20 min, or as a race against the clock type stf, while the getting a merit after X round completed is the safety net to ensure that if you get at least so far you will get credit for the run. So than people would not view the stf as one that unless you live till the timer finished the run was a waste of time.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I would say the other way around actually. That it was designed with the idea of it lasting 20 min, or as a race against the clock type stf, while the getting a merit after X round completed is the safety net to ensure that if you get at least so far you will get credit for the run. So than people would not view the stf as one that unless you live till the timer finished the run was a waste of time.
    Yeah, I like the challenge of trying to kill as much as I can before time runs out.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Then why doesn't it give any kind of recognition (no reward, no accolade, not even a different end message) for outlasting the timer? And for what purpose would such a queue be added anyway?

No, it was most likely meant to separate the long-runners and the just-get-the-token people so they wouldn't ruin each other's runs, the only significant complaint in the first version of the event. It obviously failed at that.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I did it standing on my head. Was that wrong? ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    warpangel wrote: »
    Then why doesn't it give any kind of recognition (no reward, no accolade, not even a different end message) for outlasting the timer? And for what purpose would such a queue be added anyway?

No, it was most likely meant to separate the long-runners and the just-get-the-token people so they wouldn't ruin each other's runs, the only significant complaint in the first version of the event. It obviously failed at that.

I normally get more marks and even dill for living to the timer, compared to if the group only made it to round 5-6, so it does give you additional rewards for living to the end fo the timer. Also I have gotten quite a few accolades from doing the timed, but they are the same accolade as i would have gotten for getting that far in the unlimited timer version. Also the fact that you can get the merit regardless of what version you do if you survive till at least round 5-6 kinda says that it is not a unique fact of the timed version, but a safety measure that is universal for both so if you survive to this point you get credit.

Now I would say it was created with two style of play in mind, the unlimited run being for those players wanting to see how many rounds they can last before being overwhelmed, while the timed being for those wanting to see how many rounds they can complete in the given time frame. An i would say that the playerbase gravitated towards the timed as it means that even if you get a group that doesn't want to die at round five/six is you will only be in there for 20 min max compared to the potential of an hour or more in the untimed.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Doesnt the "weekend" event R&D box you get from sompek change grades based on how well you do?

Pretty sure I've had elite boxes from lasting the timer while a 5&die approach gave the normal one.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

I normally get more marks and even dill for living to the timer, compared to if the group only made it to round 5-6, so it does give you additional rewards for living to the end fo the timer. Also I have gotten quite a few accolades from doing the timed, but they are the same accolade as i would have gotten for getting that far in the unlimited timer version. Also the fact that you can get the merit regardless of what version you do if you survive till at least round 5-6 kinda says that it is not a unique fact of the timed version, but a safety measure that is universal for both so if you survive to this point you get credit.

Now I would say it was created with two style of play in mind, the unlimited run being for those players wanting to see how many rounds they can last before being overwhelmed, while the timed being for those wanting to see how many rounds they can complete in the given time frame. An i would say that the playerbase gravitated towards the timed as it means that even if you get a group that doesn't want to die at round five/six is you will only be in there for 20 min max compared to the potential of an hour or more in the untimed.
    Congratulations for completely ignoring the post you quoted. ;)

Congratulations for completely ignoring the post you quoted. ;)

How so? You said that it gives no reward/accolade/new end massage for making the timer. Well it does give more rewards for meeting the timer just not one that is unique to that version of the stf. An I do not believe the untimed version has a differen end mission either regardless of how far you get, but you do get accolades for going a certain distance in rounds (some of which can be gotten in timed). Only the very highest accolade s from getting to certain rounds, and the dance most likely are unable to be gotten in timed. Why should it give anything more than additional dil/marks for meeting the timer?

An I did say the timed is more built for players that want to test how many rounds they can complete in a finite timeframe. That would be just as good a reason to create a timed version as luring away the quick-merit runner, though I would say that if the devs wanted to specifically lure away the quick-merit crowd they would have made it a 5-6 round mission as that would actually lure away that type of player from the untimed version.

I will agree that if it was the dev's intent to have the timed version, which I do not think it was, be there to lure away the quick merit-run players away from the untimed version it did not fully succeed.
    Can I ignore them all? ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    I had that a few times already.....the other night, one jerk kept saying to me to die and be done, since he was quitting.

And tonight, another, right at the beginning, said, "Doing 5 and we stop" and he was ORDERING me to die and end the rounds. I simply to him "Up yours" And me, and the only guy still fighting, a Klingon dude, me and him kept fighting on and eventually, kicked some borgified Undines....just me and him. I gotta say he was a bad TRIBBLE TRIBBLE. If ya reading this, sir, T'Lar gives you a fist bump, sir! B) And the guy who ordered us was getting ticked.....too bad.

To any folks who not only quits early, but ORDERS anyone to stop...this is all I am gonna say.

NO.

When I play anything, I go all the way, only it ending when we are all beaten, fair and square....not for your convenience and lack of attention span. You wanna quit after 5 rounds....gather a bunch of friends who think the same and do your own run...don't be telling us how to do these, for you will not get what you want out of me, mmmmkay?

So, when ya gonna do arena, remember.....
    ZQw6nty.jpg

9HfsFrw.jpg

......bring it.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    I remember seeing something similar, smoke, on an early run of the event. Player basically told the rest of us to die at round 5. He certainly did, but the rest of us didn't. When he realized that we weren't going to just die on command, he appeared to leave the match, then return, then leave, then return. Don't know what or how he was doing that, but eventually someone revived him. He kept dying, and someone would revive him again. Finally, he gave in and started fighting again until the end. :D
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    I remember seeing something similar, smoke, on an early run of the event. Player basically told the rest of us to die at round 5. He certainly did, but the rest of us didn't. When he realized that we weren't going to just die on command, he appeared to leave the match, then return, then leave, then return. Don't know what or how he was doing that, but eventually someone revived him. He kept dying, and someone would revive him again. Finally, he gave in and started fighting again until the end. :D

Like they say, Karma is a TRIBBLE. B)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    To do an Orky take on this,
    "Oi! Stop runnin' away, yer snivellin' humies, we got a race on here!"
    The race in this case is lasting the full 20 minutes
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
      [..]
      ZQw6nty.jpg

......bring it.

A completely off topic comment:

DAMN!! That blue outfit is smokin'!! Cryptic should add it to the game! You are a good artist! She rocks it hard!
      If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
      Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
      Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
      ingame: @.Spartan
      Romulan_Republic_logo.png
      Former Alpha & Beta Tester
      Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
      The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè

Probably the same method the MI afker's used to vanish until the timer hit around the minute mark and miraculously rejoin the group in time for the end.
      aspartan1 wrote: »
      [..]
      ZQw6nty.jpg

......bring it.

A completely off topic comment:

DAMN!! That blue outfit is smokin'!! Cryptic should add it to the game! You are a good artist! She rocks it hard!

You mean this outfit? ;)
      r8vgtR7.jpg

Tankies. ~curtsy~ Cryptic outta have some more contests of fan designs for future game stuffs, but that's just me. :*

Anyhow, I wish we had some item we could use on those players who ditch us in the arena after 5 rounds.....like poking em with a painstick, or burying them in a pile of sand/dirt, complete with a grave stone. :D
      dvZq2Aj.jpg
      If you only want to do 5, say that at the start NOT when you get to 5. Many of the timed are ending up being 5 at this stage. Someone asked before we started one run yesterday. At 6, the rest were all down and I fought on by myself that round until I died. I will only go down if I go down and not by suiciding. I will agree if the group wants to do 5 (6), but will not ask for it. If I am doing 20, I want to generally go to 20. Untimed for the Marks.

An Untimed run on another Character yesterday went to 29. Geared to UR only, on that Character I am not making the 14, but am doing it for the extra Competitive Marks. I still have four Characters leveling up Competitive, and Lukari as well, but with Lukari they all have over 2,200 Lukari Marks as all 14 of my Characters went through the last Breach as they ran about 7 or so minutes a run.

I do enjoy the Arena.
      Judge Dan Haywood
      l don't know.
      Lt. Philip J. Minns
      Saying at the start (in /team channel not zone) once everyone is in the holodeck is better than as soon as you load in because its possible that not everyone will see the chat due to differing loading times.