Install Arc
Options

Do You Play Space Barbies?

Comments

• Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    Yes, I play Space Barbies all the time
    nimbull wrote: »
    Part time space Barbie because KDF have limited color pallets to work with.

I'm sorry, what?

U7htoFL.jpg

either he's color-blind or he's severely fashion-challenged​​

Neither. He's just a happy-go-lucky Gorn that is such a badass that the High Council allows him a lot of leeway because he gets things done.

I mean, they even let him paint his own ship, a D9 Battlecruiser...

j1LcB2Y.jpg
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    yep, definitely color-blind...my poor eyes​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Your poll is oddly limited: between every time, never, and only when I'm bored, I choose 'None of the Above.'

If you had asked me, do I seek a suspension of disbelief in general, I would have said yes. I like to dress up nicely, and look good; and my boffs need to look the part as well. I have a great, great many outfit slots, as a result. It's not just about 'Barbie in Space', though. I simply want a sense of realism, and consistency. Like my Rom ships need to fire green sh*t (or Disruptors), but no Phasers. And I usually get the outfits that belong to the lockbox-du-jour. So, whilst I'm always role-playing, after a fashion (pun intended), I want the suspension of disbelief most of all.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    When I voted for "all the time", I didn't take it as literal as some others here. I am not even at the tailor monthly or similar. I was thinking along the lines of

a) Uniforms. My toons want uniforms (as mentioned, I have one exception, I switched one of my Roms from "Intel style" to "motley crew" with no two sets looking alike). These are almost exclusively "honest attempts" at uniforms working within the Star Trek universe. I mostly, but not always, include a "color coding for expertise" part. I try hard to make "foreign" officers, like the level 4 dip exchange guy, or anybody for Roms, look the part as much as they can. Talking of Roms, I also work hard to uniformize them, which can be a pain, since the save-load technique doesn't really work there.

b) Individual looks of boffs. Unless I have reasons to dislike a preset, or want a certain look for "in game story" reasons, I start off with the preset, but change completely out of line settings - especially proportions. Though I have some "extreme" aliens in my crew, they're not going as far as some others. Also, three idle stances will always be thrown out, the rest may be adjusted according to role.

c) Alternates. Unfortunately not available for boffs, but my characters will have a look fitting the occasion, so they don't have to run around Risa in full armor.

That means, when I am at the tailor, I can spend an hour, or sometimes even more, there. And I care about the looks, and sometimes things change and it irks me. (Like with lightning 2.0 Bajoran trousers don't fit as well with one of the TOS shirts as they did, still have to find a way to resolve that) And oftentimes on ground missions I enjoy what I did. And I want a crew room where I can visit all my crew at once just to have a look at them. I think for a non roleplayer that qualifies me for "always".
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Maybe gorn see in a different light spectrum than us so his outfit seems perfectly fine to him in ultraviolet or infrared? :D

Or he just likes shopping from the bargain bins?

I did enjoy the Xmas ugly sweaters last year...
    XmasBatleth_zpslb89sfpb.jpg
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,265 Arc User
    Funny thing about those ugly sweaters is that they're not really that ugly, as for the OP none of my PCs are blonde with unrealistically thin and busty body ;) seriously though I generally make a outfits for various events (for example my main has ship CO variation of the standard oddy outfit with her current rank, MACO set for combat, Iconian set as an undersuit for EV-suit, ceremonial outfit, and couple of off-duty outfits for various purposes).
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Funny thing about those ugly sweaters is that they're not really that ugly, as for the OP none of my PCs are blonde with unrealistically thin and busty body ;) seriously though I generally make a outfits for various events (for example my main has ship CO variation of the standard oddy outfit with her current rank, MACO set for combat, Iconian set as an undersuit for EV-suit, ceremonial outfit, and couple of off-duty outfits for various purposes).

Yea I noticed you put a lot of effort into the appearance of your toons shim. But you have yet to make an official OCD Elite Operative Uniform. :)

10_1431238157.jpg

I can still remeber your promotion eventhough it was quiet some time ago.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,265 Arc User
    yeah I really should make that one sooner then later, it's not like I didn't have the time and I probably should play with Shimon more often seeing as everyone still calls me by that name anyway ;)
  • Options
    alphagoralphagor Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Lets see, does spending 2+ bill EC on getting a temporal light cruiser and the convention ToS bridge crew for my AoY toon count? Decked with the retro phasers and torps (from K13), while the away team is sporting epic 23rd cen. mk1-mk2 phaser pistols and rifles with the appropriate kit modules (most also from K13). Nothing beats Sulu piloting or Spock there with you on an away mission.

And thats not even my main character. :smiley:
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    alphagor wrote: »
    Lets see, does spending 2+ bill EC on getting a temporal light cruiser and the convention ToS bridge crew for my AoY toon count? Decked with the retro phasers and torps (from K13), while the away team is sporting epic 23rd cen. mk1-mk2 phaser pistols and rifles with the appropriate kit modules (most also from K13). Nothing beats Sulu piloting or Spock there with you on an away mission.

And thats not even my main character. :smiley:

Wow! quiet cool man.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

I'm sorry, what?

U7htoFL.jpg
    1. How many of those outfit pieces are actually KDF?
    2. Being able to make a multicolored clownsuit doesn't change the fact that almost every outfit in the game has badly limited color palettes. And no, I don't consider the standard crossfaction "pastel" palette to be anywhere near sufficient, as it's completely missing bright saturated colors.

The lukari armor has so far the best palette in the tailor. It finally includes a full range of color. I wish all the outfits used that one. It could be bigger, though. Offer more shades of each color. Despite having a wider range, it actually shows fewer shades for each hue than the pastel palette.

The ship customizer's palette is also quite good.

Or they could just give us RGB and/or HSV pickers.
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »

I'm sorry, what?

U7htoFL.jpg

Shoulder Pads, pants, green sleeve, bracer, collar.
    2. Being able to make a multicolored clownsuit doesn't change the fact that almost every outfit in the game has badly limited color palettes. And no, I don't consider the standard crossfaction "pastel" palette to be anywhere near sufficient, as it's completely missing bright saturated colors.

The lukari armor has so far the best palette in the tailor. It finally includes a full range of color. I wish all the outfits used that one. It could be bigger, though. Offer more shades of each color. Despite having a wider range, it actually shows fewer shades for each hue than the pastel palette.

Okay, first of all, you read waaay too much into what was intended to be a simple humorous response.

Secondly, I agree with you wholeheartedly. There should be a full color palette encompassing the RGB spectrum, to include a value selection (input your own RGB values) and a color selector (drag the mouse across the spectrum until you find a color you like).

What irritates me about the current color pickers is how certain items can use the exact same color and be noticeably different on screen (the color black is probably the best example of this). That and how you get an idea in your head but can't pull it off because parts of a certain item have only a few color choices (*glares at Intel Uniform*).

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
  • Options
    siliconpsychosiliconpsycho Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    No, I do not play Space Barbies at all
    No I do not play space Barbie of any kind, either ground char or ship

I set my ground char once, then that's it. Ships are exactly as out-of-box and no visuals enabled.

Space Barbie simply doesn't interest me in the slightest
  • Options

I'm sorry, what?

U7htoFL.jpg

Shoulder Pads, pants, green sleeve, bracer, collar.

Okay, first of all, you read waaay too much into what was intended to be a simple humorous response.

Secondly, I agree with you wholeheartedly. There should be a full color palette encompassing the RGB spectrum, to include a value selection (input your own RGB values) and a color selector (drag the mouse across the spectrum until you find a color you like).

What irritates me about the current color pickers is how certain items can use the exact same color and be noticeably different on screen (the color black is probably the best example of this). That and how you get an idea in your head but can't pull it off because parts of a certain item have only a few color choices (*glares at Intel Uniform*).
    Yeah. It's because their texture shading don't match. Some items have a noticeably darker or lighter texture than others and the palettes don't allow precise enough control of the color shade to compensate.
  • Options
    jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    Space Barbie is a huge part of the fun! That applies to ships as well as toons. Imagine my surprise when I first realized putting Jem Hadar pieces on a ship gave this neat purple tint to ships, and purple glowy bits. Naturally, I am always on the look out for ship barbie pieces.

As for characters and their boffs, I have a few uniforms I have developed, including one that looks like something used by a WW2 bomber crew. As part of my personal head-canon includes a G.I. Joe crossover, I am also working on cosplays of vintage G.I. Joe characters for my boffs. That said, I would like to see more things take an olive drab green. Something I would like to pursue in the future is Dreadnok style looks for KDF bridge crews. Thanks to the TOS event from last summer, my head-canon also includes a McHale's Navy crossover. XD Naturally, I am developing WW2 naval style uniforms for boffs. Now if the powers that be would add a white hat to the tailor ...

Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • Options
    claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    IMO, no I don't think I play space barbie.
    I do enjoy spending a long time in the tailor, getting my characters to look just right.
    Having multiple uniforms such as: on-duty uniform, formal uniform, combat armor with helmet, combat armor without helmet, off-duty casual, off-duty formal... etc...

But guess thats what OP defines as Space Barbie. So yes, guess I do play it.
    "Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
  • Options
    fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    Yes, but only when I get bored of how they look
    Space Barbie is a huge part of the fun! That applies to ships as well as toons. Imagine my surprise when I first realized putting Jem Hadar pieces on a ship gave this neat purple tint to ships, and purple glowy bits. Naturally, I am always on the look out for ship barbie pieces.

I like theirs and the Reman shield for shield effects. For the impulse effects, I always turn to the Breen's set. Never picked a deflector visual slot and am always looking for suggestions.
    One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Borg Deflector is best. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    gtEZt7G.png

Here's one of my crews, as you can tell, totally going for the Mirror Universe feel. Only thing that sucks, can't get the ISS designation on my tier 6 multi mission. Which really annoys me.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User

What does it make your ship look like? genuinely want to know.
    One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Yeah. It's because their texture shading don't match. Some items have a noticeably darker or lighter texture than others and the palettes don't allow precise enough control of the color shade to compensate.
    Try making something solid white if you want the full effect.

For an example:
    j_mpok_by_marhawkman-da0vuhh.png
    Look at the pant of the character in the foreground. notice how they have a yellowish shade in certain spots? Yeah, the actual costume color is set to solid blue. (the jacket is one of those winter things you can't color)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    fluffymoof wrote: »

What does it make your ship look like? genuinely want to know.

Turns the deflector green and adds spiky Borg tech outgrowths, or as I call it... Borg Cancer.

Things I want in STO:

• Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Yup. Sure do. Forking around in the Tailor can be entertaining. Someone has a thread in these forums about how to make a Kaminoan from Star Wars using the Character Creator. So I did the copy/paste thing and 'Bob's yer Uncle'. Had a blast seeing how close I could get them to the Kaminoans seen in the animated Star Wars:The Clone Wars series. Surprised at how closely they matched. Wound up making an entire crew of them. The comments other players made when I used them were quite gratifying.

Mooncrystalpower's Fed char is just about dead-frickin'-on for Meatball Head. She(?) was in ESD one night and I just had to show her char to my daughter. Who is a huuge anime fan. I am one of those dads who knows far far more about the Negaverse than he really wants to, lol. Saw someone who had the Joker from Batman:The Animated Series once on DS9. It was again just about dead-frickin'-on. Started looking around for Harley Quinn and kept hearing Mark Hamill's voice in my head for the rest of the session.

So yeah, Space Barbie can be a fun sideline to game play. I do it from time to time whenever I get bored with how my chars look. I also do Space Barbie in the Ship Tailor. Except there I don't call it 'Space Barbie'.

I refer to it by its true name - 'Action Figure Center'. lol
    Post edited by thunderfoot#5163 on
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    My main Yun-In has about 246 outfits at the moment, so she's getting close to the hard cap of 255.

One of many examples:
    tumblr_o5lmcb7PYx1r796vco5_1280.jpg

And then there's Hana Song, aka D.Va from Overwatch:
    tumblr_onpa71ffSY1r796vco1_1280.jpg

tumblr_op4ktbKZTI1r796vco1_1280.jpg

tumblr_opuyjmjuMB1r796vco1_1280.jpg

It's hard to see in those pictures, but I gave her pink eyebrow flair instead of the kitty whiskers.
  • Options
    byozuma#0956 byozuma Member Posts: 502 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Someone has a thread in these forums about how to make a Kaminoan from Star Wars using the Character Creator.
    You mean like in my signature? ^,^
    angarus1 wrote: »
    My main Yun-In has about 246 outfits at the moment, so she's getting close to the hard cap of 255.

One of many examples:
    tumblr_o5lmcb7PYx1r796vco5_1280.jpg
    What outfit is that skirt from?
    oldracesbanner.jpg
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    angarus1 wrote: »
    ...tumblr_o5lmcb7PYx1r796vco5_1280.jpg...

I have to ask what is that lower piece?​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    byozuma#0956 byozuma Member Posts: 502 Arc User
    talonxv wrote: »
    gtEZt7G.png

Here's one of my crews, as you can tell, totally going for the Mirror Universe feel. Only thing that sucks, can't get the ISS designation on my tier 6 multi mission. Which really annoys me.
    If you don't mind sacrificing the first seven characters of your ship name you can give your ship any designation you want. The ship pictured in my banner is named I.S.D. Louisoix.
    oldracesbanner.jpg
  • Options
    angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    What outfit is that skirt from?
    bloodyriz wrote: »
    I have to ask what is that lower piece?​​

It's an optional attachment for the Na'kuhl belt. ;) I just like to use it in combination with shorts. :p
  • Options
    gtEZt7G.png

If you don't mind sacrificing the first seven characters of your ship name you can give your ship any designation you want. The ship pictured in my banner is named I.S.D. Louisoix.
    Not all ships support turning off the built-in prefix, either.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    gtEZt7G.png

Can't turn the Prefix off.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1