test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Did the rebalancing ruin all your builds?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    If the idea was to balance space combat, and make alternative play styles more appealing and equally relevant, this to me seems a massive failure.
    Well to be fair the main builds I use are classed as alternative play styles and both have had a massive increase. Not all of the rebalance was a massive fail.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Why should we assume the transformer and gate aren't meant to be nuked?

Nuking is a useful alternate strategy. This game needs more of that.
    tilarta wrote: »
    Because it's not the way the mission was designed?
    Get the nanite generators first, then go for the transformer they were repairing.

Actually an interesting question that I don't see clear cut either way. Sometimes alternative strategies are clearly intended to be possible - Azura Nebula Rescue actively reacts to people stealth freeing the ships by making the Tholians beam out if it happens - sometimes alternate play styles are obviously not what the devs had in mind, like waiting out time gates while doing nothing. I am not certain here which category this falls under. Usually devs don't like to promote brute force through everything as an alternate to a more "thinking" approach (quotation marks, because build who can brute force their way may need some thought as well), but every now and then, DPS dogs are indeed getting thrown a bone. (Talking about general MMORPG approach here, not only STO). I guess we won't know until a mission designer tells us what they had in mind.
    If the idea was to balance space combat, and make alternative play styles more appealing and equally relevant, this to me seems a massive failure.

Your DPS numbers alone don't tell anything about "balance" though, nor about alternate play styles. Or am I missing something?
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    A Main that's got lockbox, fleet, upgraded gear being 5K away from Alts that are mk xii standard gear with builds patched up quickly is pretty sad to me.

I parsed one last run before quitting for today, this time on a Rom Tac alt in regular Aelahl, again mk xii stuff, perhaps one fleet thing, 19K DPS, with plenty of defensiveness to tank stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I know how you put something together matters more than having high end stuff. I'm just saying to me from these initial tests, beams seem really sub-par now, but being so close to lowly alts reinforces the idea that there's zero point to get stuff in this game, and just have fun with budget builds cause in some instances they really do the same thing.

Game pace is also ludicrously fast. Are we playing with gigantic starships in space, or with tiny toys. Before delta rising, the game felt right. Ever since then, it's been faster and faster as if the target audience bores quickly unless there's constant action every split second.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The sad thing is when 100k DPS is not considered high DPS. :(
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »

Get the nanite generators first, then go for the transformer they were repairing.

Actually an interesting question that I don't see clear cut either way. Sometimes alternative strategies are clearly intended to be possible

I'd say, in the case of those transformers, nuking them first is, if not an exploit, then certainly not intended. That strategy is the direct result of some players doing insane DPS. And I'm pretty sure it was never anticipated that you could kill those first. Devs should just up the healing of those transformer by 500%, and be done with it.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »

101k is high DPS. :tongue:

Jokes aside, with the recent balance pass, 100k is a good number for a DPS chaser IMO. To get to that number also means you are squishier than you were pre S13 so there is a drawback. High-end tank builds are back to the 75k range from what I can see.
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong, I know how you put something together matters more than having high end stuff. I'm just saying to me from these initial tests, beams seem really sub-par now, but being so close to lowly alts reinforces the idea that there's zero point to get stuff in this game, and just have fun with budget builds cause in some instances they really do the same thing.

I get your point. However, the difference between good basic builds (i. e. a player who puts some thinking into it without being an expert, using good equipment but not necessarily all epic lockbox XIVs) and the top was ridiculous to the max. In any competitive sport, including e-sport, it is about squeezing out that extra 1%, not being twice as strong as the competition. Add to that that if a game becomes about the best gear in cookie cutter builds, then actual playing skill diminishes as a factor, and only wallet warriors and/or people spending hours a day on the game would be able to do well. And while I agree that wallet warriors and time sink players should see some return on investment, it shouldn't be all.
  • Options
    e30ernest wrote: »
    ltminns wrote: »

101k is high DPS. :tongue:

Jokes aside, with the recent balance pass, 100k is a good number for a DPS chaser IMO. To get to that number also means you are squishier than you were pre S13 so there is a drawback. High-end tank builds are back to the 75k range from what I can see.
    Not always. My causal build pre balance was 40k to 60k now after the balance change it has hit 90k and higher. It also got more tanky not squishier and is not built to maximise DPS. Granted not many people fly the builds I use but some builds have benefit far more then expected.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

Actually an interesting question that I don't see clear cut either way. Sometimes alternative strategies are clearly intended to be possible - Azura Nebula Rescue actively reacts to people stealth freeing the ships by making the Tholians beam out if it happens - sometimes alternate play styles are obviously not what the devs had in mind, like waiting out time gates while doing nothing. I am not certain here which category this falls under. Usually devs don't like to promote brute force through everything as an alternate to a more "thinking" approach (quotation marks, because build who can brute force their way may need some thought as well), but every now and then, DPS dogs are indeed getting thrown a bone. (Talking about general MMORPG approach here, not only STO). I guess we won't know until a mission designer tells us what they had in mind.
    I have to question why, if waiting out timers is "obviously not what the devs had in mind," do they continue to create missions where players are tasked with doing exactly that?

They can't possibly be doing it by accident.
  • Options
    tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,799 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    From my point of view the problem is that you actually class characters as "main" & "lowly alt".

I have two classifications for my characters, main and storage alt.
    The mains are the ones intended to play the game, so they get the best gear I can provide them with.

Storage Alts just exist to keep items and doffs for future use on characters that don't exist yet.
    Actually, after all this time of not getting the specific content updates to make those characters, it's a case of won't exist at all!
    So it's best to keep that stuff stored away out of sight.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    I have to question why, if waiting out timers is "obviously not what the devs had in mind," do they continue to create missions where players are tasked with doing exactly that?

But by sloppiness? I am not blaming players for using the abilty to wait out the timer here - I will again in other threads, don't worry - but "not doing anything" is not what a game is designed to offer. As the most famous example, Mirror Invasion gives you objectives. Whether or not it is prudent to follow them is a different matter, but they are there. So following the objectives is obviously what the devs had in mind.
  • Options
    staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Anyway - sorry to say it, but I do think those players who continue to pat themselves on the back for achieving *enter number here* DPS in ISA need to stop patting themselves on the back for doing that in ADVANCED content and start playing the actual ELITE content instead.

Or Core Assault, I think; I've had a couple of runs now where it looks like ISA-specced DPS builds are failing utterly against player opposition. In particular, the much-vaunted Vengeance class seems a bit of a white elephant. Or maybe that's just the ones I've run into.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    My builds mostly got buffed, especially my Fleet Jupiter.

I haven't tried it on holodeck yet, but as understand it the innate target subsystems powers have been buffed, can work on cannons and beams, and the CD on them cut to 45 seconds, which makes my choice to have tac team and dispersal pattern beta as my only tac boff powers okay.

My Elite Callistos have had their Cannon Volley Spread buffed to III.

They are now completely immune to warpcore breachs period.

Layered Defence III means it's immune to torpedoes once every 30 seconds.

They have boosted Hull points and damage.

On my KDF player the same benefits, aside from a buffed cannon spread, applied to my pets, making my Orion Slavers brutally lethal.

And now I have Insult to Injury on my KDF characters my Elite Slavers can enjoy transporting their warheads.

Imagine a dozen warheads for 15,000 or more direct to Hull damage.
    Post edited by lordgyor on
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »

I haven't tried it on holodeck yet, but as understand it the innate target subsystems powers have been buffed, can work on cannons and beams, and the CD on them cut to 45 seconds, which makes my choice to have tac team and dispersal pattern beta as my only tac boff powers okay.

Dispersal? Ok, you have my attention. never seen that used on a carrier.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

But by sloppiness? I am not blaming players for using the abilty to wait out the timer here - I will again in other threads, don't worry - but "not doing anything" is not what a game is designed to offer. As the most famous example, Mirror Invasion gives you objectives. Whether or not it is prudent to follow them is a different matter, but they are there. So following the objectives is obviously what the devs had in mind.
    I think that boosting metrics is what the devs had in mind. The timers are there so good players can't win it early, the total lack or required objectives is so that bad players can't lose and be kicked out early and the optional activities are there so bored players don't leave early.

This is not "sloppiness." They make all those objectives optional on purpose. They know some people will ignore them and do nothing and they still do it anyway. Because the important bit is to get players to put in their X minutes on the clock.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I use Dispersal Beta 3 on all my carriers its amazing. Its like shooting 14 torpedo's at a target without having to worry about your slow turn rate and facing forward in a 90 arc. My carrier went from around 50k to around 100k from the boost to pets and boost to mines and dispersal.
  • Options
    tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,799 Arc User
    Like I said, I don't have a main and every character is treated equally in how they get gear. In fact for lockbox or lobi ships I will often switch through characters until I decide who should get it.

I don't believe storage alts should get treated like my mains.
    As mentioned before, they exist only to keep items that my mains aren't using, but may be of value in the future for new characters should I happen to create them (which is unlikely now).
    I'm not a grind fan and I don't believe storage alts are worth levelling up/rep and fleet grinding credit on.
    That's what Altaholics do. :|

I don't do random character planning, I know in advance what each character will do, what gear they have and what ships they will use.
    Unforunately, Cryptic unintentionally kiboshed all of my ideas for new mains, so I've resigned myself to not being able to create them ever!

I might get theCardassian Faction science captain, that's the only I'm still expecting.
    Assuming Cryptic is still considering a Cardassian Faction, I'm not certain if they have plans to implement it.
    And it'll probably just be like the Romulan Faction, a short tutorial storychain, then choose to be Starfleet or KDF aligned.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    I use Dispersal Beta 3 on all my carriers its amazing. Its like shooting 14 torpedo's at a target without having to worry about your slow turn rate and facing forward in a 90 arc. My carrier went from around 50k to around 100k from the boost to pets and boost to mines and dispersal.
    Ah, I see. I use Mines on some builds and DPB3 + a good Tric does wonders. :) Dreadnaut meet Mr. Tricobalt device, he has an explosive personality!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,321 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »

They have boosted Hull points and damage.

On my KDF player the same benefits, aside from a buffed cannon spread, applied to my pets, making my Orion Slavers brutally lethal.

And now I have Insult to Injury on my KDF characters my Elite Slavers can enjoy transporting their warheads.

Imagine a dozen warheads for 15,000 or more direct to Hull damage.

Perhaps i should take my tholian orb weaver with nukara set out of storage... haven't gotten around to testing mine builds after the balance pass.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    daiphdaiph Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    I'd say that the 'rebalancing' has unbalanced all of my builds, certainly always to their detriment without exception. I'll give a single example of something that really irks me.

I've never been a high DPS player, it's just not my style. I like getting to a point where my overall damage output and manner of application means I can take out enemies at a consistent rate and make progression in a mission fairly quickly without simply stepping through it, as at that point it feels boring. As a result, one of the many things I look at is proc spreading and to that end I have been (on more than a couple of builds) a FaW spammer. Not for DPS, not for hammering multiple shots into a single target (well again, for damage) but because I want to throw as many weapon procs at as many targets as I possibly can. As a result, the FaW nerf which was long overdue has utterly scuppered me with the acc drop. The damage reduction made perfect sense to me; applying the same amount of power to multiple shots should lead to lower damage output per shot, but the accuracy penalty which a bit above and beyond necessary imo.
    Hyperbole, sure, but I mean c'mon, most of our home computers and tablets, mobile phones, etc can calculate a firing point in a game to take into account things like shot travel and bullet drop within their mechanics. At what point does that become such a difficulty for a supposed 25th century computer to apply to a dozen targets that a 1GHz chip today could handle it, but the supposed future computer can't..? So yeah, acc drop on FaW, really?
    What everyone buying Zen are really saying while all these bugs are still floating freely:
    qHiCsi6.gif
    Stop new content until quality returns
  • Options
    daiph wrote: »
    As a result, the FaW nerf which was long overdue has utterly scuppered me with the acc drop.

The Acc drop on FAW isn't substantial anyway. I am still seeing 99% hit rates on FAW in PVE. I think what's affecting your build more (being proc-based) is the reduction of some procs from a per hit thing to a per-cycle basis.
  • Options
    As a result, the FaW nerf which was long overdue has utterly scuppered me with the acc drop.

The Acc drop on FAW isn't substantial anyway. I am still seeing 99% hit rates on FAW in PVE. I think what's affecting your build more (being proc-based) is the reduction of some procs from a per hit thing to a per-cycle basis.

I must've missed this. I take it it's buried in the patch notes somewhere? If that's actually the case then you're right, what I'm witnessing probably has more to do with it being on a cycle basis rather than per shot. I remember it being cycle based a few years ago and was changed to per shot to more accurately reflect the 2.5% chance. At least, I hope that's the case so they change it back...
    What everyone buying Zen are really saying while all these bugs are still floating freely:
    qHiCsi6.gif
  • Options

I must've missed this. I take it it's buried in the patch notes somewhere? If that's actually the case then you're right, what I'm witnessing probably has more to do with it being on a cycle basis rather than per shot. I remember it being cycle based a few years ago and was changed to per shot to more accurately reflect the 2.5% chance. At least, I hope that's the case so they change it back...

There were numerous references to different procs being changed to per-cycle in the main balance pass patchnotes.

I also heard (second-hand info here) that the devs implied in one of the interviews they gave out post-balance pass that they would like to move away from weapon proc-based builds. That's apparently part of the reason why the disparity between the different weapon-type procs were not addressed.
  • Options
    There were numerous references to different procs being changed to per-cycle in the main balance pass patchnotes.

I also heard (second-hand info here) that the devs implied in one of the interviews they gave out post-balance pass that they would like to move away from weapon proc-based builds. That's apparently part of the reason why the disparity between the different weapon-type procs were not addressed.

Thanks for that. I did noticed that there were a few changes but they were minor, specifically: Embassy console explosions being limited to once per cycle (which I assume is still per weapon, per console), entropic rider and a text change for shield absorptive frequency generator.

Nothing seems to have stated anywhere that weapon procs in general are to be per cycle or per shot. Frankly though, moving away from weapon proc builds seems like a mistake, otherwise what's the point in having different weapon procs in the first place? Is it not bad enough that there are certain 'provinces' of weapon proc which have now been overshadowed by another damage type applying a beefed up version? E.g. Withering disruptor throwing shade over plasma's DoT-based province or Pulse Phasers outclassing Disruptors by applying a resist debuff in addition to giving a buff... I mean, they went to some lengths to try and provide additional AP procs while maintaining the idea that AP was all crit relevant (Voth AP is still something of a fav in that regard) but over the last year or so it's like they're lessening the various effects of skills and abilities to the point where the game's becoming more and more like a mindless arcade shooter.
    qHiCsi6.gif
  • Options
    neocatstarneocatstar Member Posts: 240 Arc User
    @neocatstar

That Delta Alliance Distress Call works from inventory, no need to equip.

I didnt know that was possible since it was equipable. Thx