test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Did the rebalancing ruin all your builds?

Comments

• Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    koppster wrote: »
    Two wrongs don't make a right.

Coddling morons is a behavior that's gotten us into a dark place. It needs to stop.

• Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    Finally got to test one of my builds out last night.

It's a disruptor cannon build on a Tac Fed. Emphasis on radiation. and disruptor set bonuses.
    I really didn't notice anything.
    Maybe a very slight reduction, but I never parsed anything so I can't even confirm that.

The most important thing was that enemies seemed to melt away just as easily as before.

That said, this cannon build is a little different, and never took advantage of stacking Embassy consoles to begin with. And I guess my EPS is high enough not to notice the difference in power levels.

But even regarding power levels, I didn't see any significant drop. Except my Aux was not hitting over 75. So I'll have to slightly tweak my power levels to get 75 across the board. Other then that, I noticed no difference.

SCI and ENGI characters will be tested tonight.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    totenmet wrote: »
    Yes it ruined ALL my builds AGAIN like last time.

Did it increase the fun for me?
    The answer is NO!

Consequence: Cryptic turned me from a paying supporting STO player into a casual player who will not spend any money on STO anymore. In the past I always hoped STO will be supported for long time. Now i just dont care anymore about its future. Good news for other game providers, I will play their games more now.

All your builds are FAW+FBP+embassy consoles? Or exotic dmg build? Coz i think only these two were nerfed.
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    I took my tac Romulan BFAW scmiy out last night. Things just died as usual and I felt no difference really from the change. This was an AP setup with crystal AP torps and things just melted. No fleet science console stacking in this setup or plasma leech. Drone pets however lasted a little bit longer till they got ganged up on by Tholians after I cloaked to turn for another pass. Fun over all. ^_^
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Didn't really notice a difference. I've only used my Exotic builds so far, which were still performing fine. I haven't managed to get into an Azure Nebula Advanced with properly scaled enemies yet though (the mission I use to assess things) but I think I'll be fine.

For those that are having problems: hopefully it's an useful lesson and you can use it for the future. Don't rely on one or two overperforming abilities.
  • Options
    lhoygowlhoygow Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    Has made no difference to me, except for the weaker grav well. May have to switch that out for Tyken's Rift now.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    tmassx wrote: »

The answer is NO!

Consequence: Cryptic turned me from a paying supporting STO player into a casual player who will not spend any money on STO anymore. In the past I always hoped STO will be supported for long time. Now i just dont care anymore about its future. Good news for other game providers, I will play their games more now.

All your builds are FAW+FBP+embassy consoles? Or exotic dmg build? Coz i think only these two were nerfed.

My all turret build that didn't use fire at will, feedback pulse, no exotic dmg at all has been neutered pretty significantly. They really needed to nerf this all powerful turret build right? Seriously, my turret build was my baby and my fun build that I really enjoyed. Now it sucks and I'll need to switch back to a faw beam build to maintain the same levels of damage.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,321 Arc User
    nikephorus wrote: »

The answer is NO!

My all turret build that didn't use fire at will, feedback pulse, no exotic dmg at all has been neutered pretty significantly. They really needed to nerf this all powerful turret build right? Seriously, my turret build was my baby and my fun build that I really enjoyed. Now it sucks and I'll need to switch back to a faw beam build to maintain the same levels of damage.

What are you going on about. Used a single cannon/turret build on a T5 Support Cruiser and had no problems whatsoever.
    One thing i noticed is that some traits became unslotted with the new season so you may want to check that.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    questerius wrote: »

The answer is NO!

What are you going on about. Used a single cannon/turret build on a T5 Support Cruiser and had no problems whatsoever.
    One thing i noticed is that some traits became unslotted with the new season so you may want to check that.

What am I on about? My damage has been reduced by approximately 40-50%. The parser doesn't lie.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User

The answer is NO!

the nerf turrets thing is pretty much the only part of this that I have a problem with... mostly cause I can't figure out why. and it seems pretty clear they did it on purpose not as a side effect of nerfing something else.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User

The answer is NO!

we're you using embassy console stacking and leetch Nikephorus ?
    I have a turret build I'm little scared to try now lol.

However the build I used for my turret boat didn't make use of multiple embassy consoles. Just leech. So I'm hoping it'll be similar to my cannon build were I didn't see much difference.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited April 2017

The answer is NO!

Zactly! They way overdid the nerfing. Exploders? Sure, nerf em, why not!? Leech? Didn't really like it, but 'soit' (as the French say). The rest were just spite-nerfs, far as I'm concerned. See, if they hadn't been so keen on killing everything, they could have taken the opportunity to buff cannons (aka, not have nerfed them). Then the nerfs to BFAW would have been at least partially palatable, as it would have brought cannons/turrets back into the game. Instead, they just blindly nerfed it all, BFAW and CSV/CRF alike.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options

The answer is NO!

However the build I used for my turret boat didn't make use of multiple embassy consoles. Just leech. So I'm hoping it'll be similar to my cannon build were I didn't see much difference.

My turret build was a2b. I was using leech with 2 drainx plasma embassy consoles. I removed leech replaced it with the supremacy starship trait and replaced the embassy consoles with more crth/crtd or dmg consoles. I haven't done a respec yet, but even with that I won't get anywhere near where I was until cryptic releases more powercreep as they always do. That's all this nerf was... so they could sell us more power creep over the next couple years. What is super funny to me about this is that the nerf has basically pushed me back into a cookie cutter faw boat just to keep my damage competitive.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    I haven't done a respec yet, but even with that I won't get anywhere near where I was until cryptic releases more powercreep as they always do. That's all this nerf was... so they could sell us more power creep over the next couple years.

Yep, been saying the same from the get-go.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,321 Arc User

The answer is NO!

What am I on about? My damage has been reduced by approximately 40-50%. The parser doesn't lie.

Has it been reduced to the point where you cannot kill a single cube if you spawned 10 clones to assist you?

Let's face reality, content in the game in stupidly easy and the fact that the developers cut the raw DPS from certain builds in half and they can still demolish everything is a clear indication that the developers most likely did not take the balance patch far enough.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User

The answer is NO!

My turret build was a2b. I was using leech with 2 drainx plasma embassy consoles. I removed leech replaced it with the supremacy starship trait and replaced the embassy consoles with more crth/crtd or dmg consoles. I haven't done a respec yet, but even with that I won't get anywhere near where I was until cryptic releases more powercreep as they always do. That's all this nerf was... so they could sell us more power creep over the next couple years. What is super funny to me about this is that the nerf has basically pushed me back into a cookie cutter faw boat just to keep my damage competitive.

Like in the new lock box, After more testing my tac did take a hard hit and no, I wasnt no DPS freak, never got above 50k,
    https://youtu.be/BPlsqo2bk2M
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • Options

The answer is NO!

Has it been reduced to the point where you cannot kill a single cube if you spawned 10 clones to assist you?

Let's face reality, content in the game in stupidly easy and the fact that the developers cut the raw DPS from certain builds in half and they can still demolish everything is a clear indication that the developers most likely did not take the balance patch far enough.

This game is built on the release of new power creep. You can't use that model and maintain balance within your game. Unless you nerf $|-|it into the ground every couple years. With the release of DR instead of nerfing players they just buffed everything else. Now with the release of this season they nerfed the players instead.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User

The answer is NO!

This game is built on the release of new power creep. You can't use that model and maintain balance within your game. Unless you nerf $|-|it into the ground every couple years. With the release of DR instead of nerfing players they just buffed everything else. Now with the release of this season they nerfed the players instead.

Actually that's not true at all.
    Most quality MMORPG's raise the level cap and introduce new and more challenging content to play through with the new power creep. They don't go nerfing the TRIBBLE out of everything so that people can just play through the same old content with new toys.
    They also tend to have or introduce scalable dungeons/raids/bosses with scaling rewards, so that players have a choice to steamroll through them at entry level with their max level gear, or to actually play at a difficulty scaled to their gear for greater rewards.

And rewards is a concept that quite frankly appears completely alien to Cryptic.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    I don't go for meta-builds with 100K+ DPS as they're pretty much a very expensive way to eliminate the feel of actually playing the game, IMO.

My regular builds, for storyline content and playing PVE queues on Normal/Advanced (not elite), seem to work fine. GWs do a little less, pets do a little more, some of my captain abilities altered slightly but not particularly noticeably.

As far as 'selling more power creep', from what I could tell the ships, weapons and lockbox rewards introduced recently don't look like power creep for sale. Blaming 'power creep driving sales' on the devs is kind of misleading anyway, as it is likely more accurate to say 'power creep is what gets players to decide to spend actual money'. If that's the thing players are buying, you can be pretty sure that's the thing the company will sell.
  • Options

The answer is NO!

Actually that's not true at all.
    Most quality MMORPG's raise the level cap and introduce new and more challenging content to play through with the new power creep. They don't go nerfing the **** out of everything so that people can just play through the same old content with new toys.
    They also tend to have or introduce scalable dungeons/raids/bosses with scaling rewards, so that players have a choice to steamroll through them at entry level with their max level gear, or to actually play at a difficulty scaled to their gear for greater rewards.

And rewards is a concept that quite frankly appears completely alien to Cryptic.

I played Guild Wars for 5 years and they never introduced noticeable power creep into that game during that time. Other then maybe ursan which they did eventually balance out, but that was nothing on the scale of the power creep we see here in STO.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator

The answer is NO!

Unless your build relied exclusively on certain cheese mechanics it shouldn't have trashed your builds. There's a reason that everyone was saying to get some time in on tribble before the changes took effect so you don't get caught with your pants down, which sounds like what happened to you.

This is basically the STO version of the stat squish that World of Warcraft did a few years ago. The stats and such got out of control in WoW, so to bring it back down to earth they reduced the amount of stats you could get on items, BUT also squished the enemies down as well. Numerically on all of my WoW toons I was doing less, however overall the percentages were the same. If I was throwing out a 100k point hit to an enemy that had 1m health, I was throwing out a 10k point hit to an enemy with 100k health, so 10% in both cases. I would say I put in close to 100-120 hours on tribble testing hunting bugs and doing personal testing. In that time I was able to come up with a few builds and such to work with. Those builds and such are still being refined. Same thing with the WoW squish, it will take time to adjust to STO's squish.

Did it ruin my builds: No actually it didn't. It actually opened up a few more options than before. Numerically I may be dealing less but overall I've noticed I'm hitting harder. As with anything it's going to take some time to find that optimal build I like.

Did it increase my fun: To some extent yes because now I'm not dealing with so many fake tanks trying to cheese their "l33t d33ps" with feedback pulse and embassy console spam. Means less people trying to tank that don't have the build for it and as a result causing the run to go south. Can't tell you the number of times I saw that. Always left those of us who actually built for tanking before the spam to pick up the pieces. So yeah I'm rather enjoying that aspect of it. Aside from that it's business as normal.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Can you list out/link your build? Because just saying "Oh, it's got some turrets" is a bit vague.

Turrets had their cycle rate adjusted down but that was supposed to not change their DPS. If you have none of the other things that got the axe, I'd be happy to see if we can get that adjusted. But it seems likely there's something else on your ship contributing to such a sharp decline. Skill cooldown tricks were another of the things reined in that people don't always think to look at.

Post edited by nikeix on
  • Options
    nikeix wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Can you list out/link your build? Because just saying "Oh, it's got some turrets" is a bit vague.

Turrets had their cycle rate adjusted down but that was supposed to not change their DPS. If you have none of the other things that got the axe, I'd be happy to see if we can get that adjusted. But it seems likely there's something else on your ship contributing to such a sharp decline. Skill cooldown tricks were another of the things reined in that people don't always think to look at.

You misattributed that quote. It was nikephorus who said that.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    mavericku2007mavericku2007 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    I started this game on Day 1 - inserted the DVD loaded it and played. Since that time I have watched it upgrade, change, be 'nerfed', altered and it now looks not a lot like it looked at the start. It played well on Wednesday and it played well on Thursday after the upgrade - Did I notice any change? - wouldn't truly know - I can still kill things!!. That's good enough for me!!
  • Options
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    You misattributed that quote. It was nikephorus who said that.

The board's auto-quoting remains a bit spastic, but you're correct. I'll try to edit it without erasing the post entirely :).

• Options
    jasonyeefongjasonyeefong Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    As a sci captain who uses mostly sci vessels with particle builds, I had to do slight adjustments. However I find that most of the particle/physical damage abilities have been nerfed quite significantly from before so I don't utilize them as much. Now I fly sci vessels with mostly drain abilities and Tykens Rift seems to overpower Gravity well in terms of kinetic damage which was the opposite before the nerf. I can still do my damage through partigens, effectively as before, but with seemingly very limited boff powers to use from. That and with the nerf to plasmonic leach, energy siphon has been surprisingly a good substitute even at rank one. I never used plasma exploders on anything so I feel fine with other builds. While I did like old FBP, I would agree that it was a little overpowered, but with the magnitude of the nerf it is useless now. But it didn't affect many builds of mine since I only used it for ships that could tank a bit. (not many that I have).
  • Options
    jasonyeefongjasonyeefong Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    kirstiein wrote: »
    It completely screwed my sci chars. I have built my sci to be heavy on particle generators, GW use to be deadly and did a lot of dmg, now it is completely useless and it take 4 times as long to kill things, that is of course if I survive long enough to even kill them at all, because oh wait I nolonger have a shield heal because sci team nolonger heals shields only does a regen buff, which is completely pitiful and useless. Now when my shields go down I am completely screwed and die.

Try using tkyens Rift. They flipped floped the damaged between GW and TR so the TR is the new GW in terms of particle damage.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User

The answer is NO!

Every tac build got anerf hammer thanks to cry babies going whaaa whaaa my Sci/Eng doesn't do as much damage as tac whaaa it's not fair whaaa... Thanks so much for the TRIBBLE over whiners.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    ssbn655 wrote: »

The answer is NO!

Every tac build got anerf hammer thanks to cry babies going whaaa whaaa my Sci/Eng doesn't do as much damage as tac whaaa it's not fair whaaa... Thanks so much for the **** over whiners.

You're welcome.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Rebalancing or no rebalancing, the game is still too easy to care.

questerius said it better - in my opinion - but since it is rare that warpangel and I agree on the color of the traffic lights, I'd like to quote this.

Content is easily workable for most builds. People have differing approaches to those builds.

Some are "Space Barbie" and don't really care about builds. Some will go with "canon" builds. A Fed ship of course needs phasers and torps, and so on. Some will use the console sets coming with some ships even if they don't perform well, but to make the ships feel more different than just the change between an engineering and tactical lieutenant ability slot. Some will try to max their DPS without too much investment. All these will be hit harder or less hard, depending on toon and a bit on luck, by a nerf like this. I surely was hit. But if you were viable before, odds are you still are.

And then there's the min/max faction. (Yeah, putting people in boxes here and oversimplifying along the way). Those looking for what the game can offer you to max it out. Not really needed thanks to the content being not too difficult, but it is a bit like solving a puzzle, and I can easily see the fun in that, so I don't mean it in a negative way, even though I am not in that category.

Quite a few of this group spoke up and said they'd have to rearrange their build because it took a severe hit. And that's fine. A new puzzle to be solved.

But then there's a subsection of this group. According to the numbers posted here, they may have been hit from 100k to 50k. Which is, to come back to warpangel, easily enough to beat content. Maybe not records, but there's no challenge you can't master. And it "ruined the game", at least for the OP. Well, it may have done, and that'd be bad, but I cannot help but wonder what enjoyment he was taking from the game. Because to me it reads a bit like "I solved the puzzle, and now I want to sit on it for all eternity and show people how awesome I am". Which is a mindset I do not get. Yes, people invested loads of effort and time in building their great builds. But I would have thought they did it because they liked the challenge of squeezing an extra 1k DPS out of the system. Because the game certainly doesn't require that extra. And now there's a new challenge. Well, I can see that people don't like the challenge after they've "won the game". But if you're of that opinion - and it is a valid opinion - why did you stay in the game? You've won, why not move on?
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries