What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Griefers

Comments

• Options
    nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    "Borg" isn't really a human name, though. It's what they call themselves (or perhaps, an english universal translation of the name they call themselves). And given that they tend to name pretty much everything with just a serial number...you wouldn't expect them to have a creative name for themselves. In fact, I do suspect they only have a name at all because they need one for the "We are the Borg" -speech.

Except 'Borg' is a human name, given to them by those lazy human writers we were discussing. They could have been called anything else, and let the story translate it for us. Guinan or Q could have told Picard that these creatures are known as <insert race name here> and then go on to say "You would call them cybernetic organisms."

Imagine if we found out that the Decker/V'Ger union from the first film was involved in their origin story.
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    i wasnt aware of Oct 2015.
    like i said in my post we all only to see green orions in the game in last few words on my previous post, dont know why you missed. i didnt say they will be in the game, just some fun reminder.
    it just matter when that new star trek tv show will be showing other orions, if they do, then they are not irrelevant.

disco ball just need new code to prevent unwanted interuptions or make specific area no disco in quest npc givers, shipyard npcs when selecting ships or texture selection.
  • Options
    captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    Note to self: Find OP's toon and deploy Disco Ball near it.

That is damned good idea!
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    @wylonus
    My post was in no way directed at you or your post, it was for someone else who started that old Thread and is griefing about it in here. Sorry, if you felt my post swept you up into that category. :)
    Post edited by ltminns on
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    chadhughes145chadhughes145 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    Please put an end to the morons constantly setting off mines, grenades, pattern enhancers, etc. in the common non-battle areas; and otherwise abusing their captain's powers to block things and/or harass other players.

That is all, thank you.

Maybe the internet isn't for you?
  • Options

None of you lackwits read? I wont be dancing. You will only be frustrated for wasting your time.
  • Options
    Please put an end to the morons constantly setting off mines, grenades, pattern enhancers, etc. in the common non-battle areas; and otherwise abusing their captain's powers to block things and/or harass other players.

That is all, thank you.

Maybe the internet isn't for you?

Maybe they should just fix it and it won't be an issue.
  • Options
    Still miss your snowballs, Druk?
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    nicko, didnt mean to derail grief topic, i was stating to Repe's comments on orions, saying he doesnt like non-green orions and saying they dont exist, and they do, but not in the game.
    itminns, it okay, i was just providing link and proof, and i am in charter member of sci-fi con, they sell books and it may possible to show different aliens that we dont see. coming soon on new tv Star Trek series.

that recent movie, director claim that he added 50 new aliens/species in Star Trek: Beyond.
    if they said i am wrong, i dont care, once it shows on tv, then what?
  • Options
    chadhughes145chadhughes145 Member Posts: 33 Arc User

None of you lackwits read? I wont be dancing. You will only be frustrated for wasting your time.

So why is it that you, OP, degenerate into insulting others? Are you of those "I have nothing else so I must act like a grade schooler in a public forum" syndrome sufferers? All that anger you are exhibiting is bad for your health.
  • Options
    trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    Some friendly advice from a grown-up (apparently the only one in this thread).

I won't assume that griefers are simply evil or stupid. Some of them may have a real life situation that is horrific, causing their behaviour, in which case they would need our help more than anything else. There's simply no way to know unless they choose to tell us.

Griefers thrive on being able to produce emotional reactions in others. It gives them a feeling of control and they invest a lot of time to achieve this. Deny them this reaction and their time investment is wasted and they will go somewhere else to get satisfaction.

Continue doing what you do even if you have to move a little now and then. Do not leave unless your activity is completely blocked for some reason. NEVER engage verbally with them. In short, act as if they're not there. I know it takes patience but if you have more patience than the griefers, you will win. If they don't get the reaction from you that they look for they will grow more and more frustrated.

If you have extreme patience, like myself, you can always give these people the same treatment they give you. Now and then I participate in some Risa dance party. There's always griefers there sitting in your face, disrupting dance emotes and more. When I see this I select one of them and start following him, making sure I always position myself on his back. They don't like this. The kids will break down quickly and you know when this happen because suddenly you will receive verbal threats through PM. I usually copy and paste these to zone which annoy them even more. The kids have zero patience so they will leave within 30 minutes or so. Older griefers may have more patience but eventually we reach a stalemate where they remain in zone but stop bothering people.
    ---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    why did i click?, why did i read all of this? , i knew the risks but read it anyways.
    latest?cb=20130801012227
  • Options
    bcottbcott Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    wylonus wrote: »
    blue orionians as seen on Star trek cartoon in 1970's, foot soldiers, "cannon fodders" for green orionian slavemasters.
    and sickly gray, as per TAS​​

Instead of arguing about a certain skin colour from The Animated Series, let's have a giveaway. Anyone who can name TEN separate things in Star Trek Online that exclusively came from The Animated Series in Star Trek Online will win a [Ground Non-Combat Pet - Orange Tabby Cat] valued at current Exchange price of 5 million Energy Credits as at the time of this post.

Please include your @handle somewhere within your post. This does not include within the signature.

The rules are as follows:
    • The things mentioned can be items,
    • Dialog references (please include the episode from The Animated Series it was referenced from and where it is referenced in Star Trek Online),
    • A completely new species introduced by The Animated Series,
    • A character that was only featured in The Animated Series.
    All things listed must be official and current content in Star Trek Online. This means no Foundry missions, character biographies or tailored appearances, Episodes from the main Story Arcs that have since been removed or edited to not include the referenced content, etc.

One entry per person. Edited posts will not be included. This is simply to prevent copying other user's answers. Private correspondence is welcome if you would like to pool ideas, but only one user will receive the prize. While teaming up is encouraged, any scamming or theft of ideas from private correspondence is unfortunate, however cannot be prevented by me.
    Choose carefully.

This contest will close once a valid and complete entry has been submitted. If no valid entries are submitted, this contest will close after 72 hours of this post (12:45 PM Coordinated Universal Time on the 5th of March).
  • Options
    Classic set-up. The Master Jedi start things going and then bring in the young Padawan in to needle away and become the fodder for the ensuing cataclysm.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    Griefers in a video game, not a new concept.

One big way to stay away from elements you dislike is to stay away from social zones, do not play PVEs and PVPs and click ignore when someone bothers you.

Orions can have other then Green skin, based on the lack of clothing they wear, skin cancer could lead to discoloration or off spring that is not 100% Orion. I mean, they do ...get around.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options

So why is it that you, OP, degenerate into insulting others? Are you of those "I have nothing else so I must act like a grade schooler in a public forum" syndrome sufferers? All that anger you are exhibiting is bad for your health.

Did I insult you? No, I did not. What you call degeneration, I call a proportionate response. This particular individual is perpetuating the idea of harassment to counter the expression of an opinion in the forums. Not acceptable, and he is not very bright for suggesting it since I've had party nullifiers on all my toons since they were made available. Plus, harassment will be reported. Again, lacking the wit to comprehend that his suggested course of action is merely a waste of time in spite of the fact that it's been stated twice before. What would you call it?
  • Options
    wylonus wrote: »
    nicko, didnt mean to derail grief topic, i was stating to Repe's comments on orions, saying he doesnt like non-green orions and saying they dont exist, and they do, but not in the game.

No worries. If we can have Homer Simpson, the Joker, and goodness knows what else, who should care about Orion skin color? Plus, I've seen plenty of them out there so there's no lack of folks who know how to "dress" at the tailor to make it happen.
  • Options
    trekpuppy wrote: »
    Some friendly advice from a grown-up (apparently the only one in this thread).

<snip>

Nothing in your reply was overly "friendly" or terribly "grown up." It was passive aggressive in some parts, overtly aggressive in others, and every bit as juvenile as the behavior you describe.

I'd just think it would be nice if they fixed it.
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    Classic set-up. The Master Jedi start things going and then bring in the young Padawan in to needle away and become the fodder for the ensuing cataclysm.

Points deducted, sir, for a Star Wars reference in a Star Trek milieu.
  • Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    According to Shatner's novel The Return V'Ger was Borg, though not their origin.

After posting that, I read that the 'Borg asimilated V'Ger, and it formed the basis of their collective mind, speculating that the deed also began driving the urge to assimilate. Not sure what's truly canon, but I decidedly do not want to open that particular 'canon' of worms, hehe.
  • Options
    I thought about a Star Trek equivalent but could really find none. Could have used Ori and Acolytes I guess. :)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    cidjack wrote: »
    Griefers in a video game, not a new concept.

One big way to stay away from elements you dislike is to stay away from social zones, do not play PVEs and PVPs and click ignore when someone bothers you.

Or, they could just disable abilities in social zones. They'd solve it once and for all for everyone.
  • Options
    I thought about a Star Trek equivalent but could really find none. Could have used Ori and Acolytes I guess. :)

Points restored, I have to google that.
  • Options
    trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    Nothing in your reply was overly "friendly" or terribly "grown up." It was passive aggressive in some parts, overtly aggressive in others, and every bit as juvenile as the behavior you describe.

I'd just think it would be nice if they fixed it.

You do realize I'm supporting you here, don't you? :) I apologize if my message wasn't clear enough on that point.

I agree with you that my advice are passive aggressive but after years of dealing with griefers in various games I've found them to work very well. If a person misbehaves in a game it has no real life consequences for them. They're anonymous, they don't respond to reason and the other players have no way of forcefully remove them. The social rules change because of this. You're in the same situation as a parent who raises a child. Children too have no or limited understanding of social rules or the consequences their actions have on themselves and other people. Until their minds mature they have to be taught by experience discomfort. Human brains are wired to make us avoid situations that cause discomfort - physical or emotional. If you treat the griefers in ways they don't expect, denying them the satisfaction of being in control, then you will accomplish precisely this. Yes, it's aggressive in a way but In the long term it's a favour to them since they apparently don't have any adults in their immediate surrounding that cares about their behaviour.

I'm interested in what you suggest Cryptic do to resolve the situation. Personally I've suggested the possibility to create private instances of social zones. That way the griefers won't be locked out from places like Risa - they will just be unable to join the specific instance you've created.
    ---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
  • Options
    Stargate
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    Stargate

I only ever saw the first movie, so I'll take your word for it.
  • Options
    trekpuppy wrote: »

You do realize I'm supporting you here, don't you? :) I apologize if my message wasn't clear enough on that point.

It is much clearer now, thank you.

If they really wanted to go a step further (and make even the griefers happy), they could open up a place where they could go and duel to thier hearts content, an arena of sorts where they could use all of their powers to do whatever they please...

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10398253-the-arena-of-sompek-special-event

Oh, they already got one!