Install Arc
Options

Fleets not being built for lack of dilithium

Comments

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    crm14916 wrote: »
    Players talk about needing a dilithium sink, but whoever is hoarding all the dilithium is definitely not sharing with fleets like mine or yours...

It's not our fault if you haven't recruited any space rich members. We all have our own fleets to build.

I suppose some people may be so insanely space rich they could build other people's fleets in addition to their own...but what's in it for them?
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Players talk about needing a dilithium sink, but whoever is hoarding all the dilithium is definitely not sharing with fleets like mine or yours...

It's not our fault if you haven't recruited any space rich members. We all have our own fleets to build.

I suppose some people may be so insanely space rich they could build other people's fleets in addition to their own...but what's in it for them?

Tons and Tons of Fleet Credits. Fleet Credits have so many uses, I can never get enough.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    byozuma#0956 byozuma Member Posts: 502 Arc User
    Honestly my fleet's biggest issue are duty officers. Give people incentive the dilithium will flow, but only so many ways to get duty officers and all to often you aren't getting the right kind until AFTER you need them... :/
    oldracesbanner.jpg
  • Options
    cidjack wrote: »

Tons and Tons of Fleet Credits. Fleet Credits have so many uses, I can never get enough.

You obviously don't have tons of them then. There's only so much junk you can buy.
  • Options
    grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Honestly my fleet's biggest issue are duty officers. Give people incentive the dilithium will flow, but only so many ways to get duty officers and all to often you aren't getting the right kind until AFTER you need them... :/

The cure for Doffs is donate everything to the fleet including millions of Dilithium, then with the millions of Fleet Credits you have buy doffs off the Starbase and rinse and repeat. This should last you basically K-13 Tier III upgrade all the way :D
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    @warpangel

That is such a narrow view, everything you can obtain with Fleet Credits has value.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Dilithium has really never been our Fleet's problem, Doffs hold it up. For K-13 I have just been going to the Fleet Personnel Officer and buying all needed for the projects. Did similar for Research Lab. That Research Lab T3 Upgrade cost me almost 2.5 Million Fleet Credits for those stupid Research Provisions. They are a waste at 500 FC each and no credit.

When they made the change to the Reputation Projects that required Doffs (Elite Scorpions or Widows), converting them to Dilithium at 100:1, I wish they had done the same for Fleet Projects.

Cryptic is attempting to get that Zen back that was converted from 'low' priced Dilithium resulting from the Dilithium Exchange tanking due to the Phoenix Prize Pack 'Event'. Is it successful? I presume maybe slightly as many will hold it until the Dilithium Exchange goes back into the 400s for a buyback of that.

I did do Dilithium donations to Armada Fleets to generate Fleet Credits as Marks were usually filled soon after creation of the Project. It has since loosened up.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    @warpangel

That is such a narrow view, everything you can obtain with Fleet Credits has value.

I didn't say anything about value, only that there is a finite number of things you can buy. Eventually they run out.
  • Options
    sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User

Thing is, a lot of the things that require fleet credits also require dilithium. Most of the time, players are holding on to their dilithium because the exchange rate is so lousy, requiring large quantities of dilithium to acquire meaningful quantities of Zen.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Dilithium is simply a priced commodity. If you don't need it (any more) for Upgrades, or Elite pets, or all sorts of shiny Fleet/Spire gear, then ppl certainly sank a lot of it in the Phoenix boxes.

But above that, I think, Dilithium simply pays out like cr*ap. The 1:1 rate is absurd, really. You get a 50:1 return on your very-easy-to-come-by Fleet Marks (50 Fleet credits for just 1 FM). Dilithium ought to pay out at least as much. That makes ppl reluctant to part with their precious Dilithium. It's Geko himself would made Dilithium valuable, by requiring it for Upgrades. When valuable, it needs to pay out more FC.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    Will need less Dilithium for future upgrades as I still have almost 400 of those Phoenix Upgrades for the next Upgrade Weekend. I do have a bit of a stash of those Ultimate Upgrades as well.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    I'd be far more inclined to spend dil if it actually gave a reasonable amount of FC like 3 or 5 FC per dil donated, I need a LOT of fleet credit as it's hard for me to get, just as much as I do need dil, and I always need lots of BOTH. There is not enough incentive to burn dil on fleet projects and have not done so for a very VERY long time. Years ago I did burn some dil on fleet projects, but I always regretted it every time I did when I needed it for my own personal reasons afterwards.
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    There is always a rush to fill the Fleet Marks box of the Fleet Projects.
    And everyone scorns departing with their Dilithium for any reason.

Yet, I wish the Devs would try to move the bar in a direction that would make Dilithium donations to the Fleet more attractive. There is just too huge of an incentive to keep Dilithium for oneself...for Zen, for Upgrades, for Gear...etc.

Because of the ease of acquiring a relatively unsalable commodity: Fleet Marks.
    Maybe, finding another use for Fleet MARKS is in order, also?

It would be very difficult to find a use that would make Fleet Marks competitive/comparative to Dilithium from the Players point of view. And not mess with the Dilithium "sink" aspect of the Fleet Holdings...without making Dilithium pay out more Fleet Credits.

+++++

I do not find Doffs are a problem as I am constantly running assignments to acquire them: recruitment at the Academies, at the Colonization clusters, and trading in Refugees.

Then breaking unnecessary Blues, Greens and Purples down at the Personnel Officer. And the few that still need filled after all that, I can purchase at the Starbase for Fleet Credit.

TIME is the only issue. Finding the time to do it, especially at the holidays.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    My Temporal Recruit that I started on July 12th has almost 1.4 Million Unrefined Dilithium. And I am not a professional farmer or a farmer at all by any means.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    My Temporal Recruit that I started on July 12th has almost 1.4 Million Unrefined Dilithium. And I am not a professional farmer or a farmer at all by any means.

Too bad Unrefined Dilithium can't be used for anything. ;) (At least not at a higher rater than ~8k a day)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Too bad Unrefined Dilithium can't be used for anything. ;) (At least not at a higher rater than ~8k a day)
    Well, there is that doff assignment that let you buy some romulan ale for 10 unrefined...unless they've removed it.

o:)
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    questerius wrote: »

Beggars can't be choosers. Getting the facilities to work is probably troublesome enough without the visuals.
    Besides, the KDF visuals are medieval and those proud KDF warriors deserve a clean place to stay in the optimistic federation colors.
    As long as my kdf fleet gets to keep the bloodwine table and dancing Orion slaves. It just won't feel like home without a den of debauchery.

The mechanics are probably quite difficult thus making it a very long term project. A decent work around would be to let Federation and KDF fleets share an armada.
    ^^^ THIS ^^^
  • Options
    No, but the point is, it is very easy to get it.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »

There are 2 ways you can refine slightly more dil- the fleet mine has a project that lets you refine an extra 500 there and then, with a 20-hour cooldown. There's also the veteran refining assignment that you get at either academy- it lets you refine another 1,000 but it takes 48hrs to run so in effect it's 500 a day.

So for a total of 1,000 extra refining you need to do this for each individual toon every day- it depends if that extra 12.5% is worth the effort.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    [quote="where2r1;13127863"]eet Marks.
    [/quote]
    At least one special project that requires ONLY fleet marks would be nice. As far as I've seen all of those repeatable ones add in other things too which ruins their value as a mark sink.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,520 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    eet Marks.
    At least one special project that requires ONLY fleet marks would be nice. As far as I've seen all of those repeatable ones add in other things too which ruins their value as a mark sink.

The Fleet Starbase holding has a 2,000 marks only project, called something like "use excess marks" or possibly "pile up marks and light them on fire." It only gives half credit though.

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Dilithium supply is just a little low right now.

We just had an upgrade weekend and then along came the Phoenix Prize pack and those two things combined really took a sizable chunk out of the Dilithium Supply.

Right now, people are rebuilding their supply and are probably hesitatnt to contribute to fleet projects since they need the Dilithium themselves. Sorry to say, but there is really nothing you can do about it other then wait for the supply to rebound.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    OP It really sounds like a fleet mangement issue rather then a Dilth shortage.
  • Options
    jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User

My AOY toon is also sitting on a good chunk of unrefined dil. The cap seriously needs to be raised. As it is now, it will take months to refine it all.
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,990 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    OP, I feel your pain. I read therough all the posts here of people who spend lots of time farming dilithium, somehow refining enough to help projects, yet I am also in a fleet that is at a total standstill because no one (not even in the armada) will donate Dilithium to the fleet projects.

:(
    CM
    Hey CM. Same armadas as you both sides. There's not much dil going into projects by members. Add to that less are on as regularly as before, and many of our former top producers are on very occasionally now, if at all. This seems to be reflected in the state of the queues (poor compared to historical norms). There's allegedly a combined total of almost 4200 toons in the two armadas, but it's rare to see 1% of them on at once.

I have 15 toons supporting my main fed fleet and it's kdf counterpart as well as cash to dil to help with upgrades and am grinding as hard as I can. There is no hoarded dilithium to share. Have had other toons in far larger fleets and unless you get some very generous people not much difference.

It's interesting that a small group of dedicated players on the kdf side are moving things along faster than the larger fed side.

What it comes down to is donations are optional as different folks are in different boats and I'd agree that the combination of events mentioned above have created the perfect storm, but all storms blow over. However, I'd wager a declining number of regular players in the game is part of the equation.
    Post edited by protoneous on
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,990 Arc User
    Fleets are already built is the real issue. There nothing to gain from building more of them.
    Perhaps you could elaborate? A completed fleet can only offer players a way to generate fleet credits via the 30 minute starbase project or provisioning projects. Many completed fleets have satellite fleets. Your public service channel needs people with FC to get the things they need. I'm probably missing something or lacking your larger scope of view...
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    I stopped worrying or thinking about this long ago. Posting here about this topic, putting messages into Fleet emails, complaining in Chat or over TS. All of it garners the same result. People will contribute Dilithium to Fleet Projects only after they meet their own needs first. Or, they see someone else in the Fleet contributing Dilithium.

But look at the other side of it as well. I have been in Fleets where my promotion to "Galley Slave 3rd Class(Provisional)" was directly tied to how much Dilithium I contributed. "And, when you've contributed another 150 million Dilithium, we might open the Store to you! Someday. Meanwhile, forget having fun in STO. Forget doing things you enjoy! All Fleet members below the rank of Spoiled Lazy Overlord are required to participate in as many Dilithium producing missions/stfs/bz's as can possibly be fit into a 24 hour period! So get to work you worthless buggers!"

Couldn't vote with my feet fast enough.

Another thing I see as a disincentive to contribute Dilthium to a Fleet is Fleets are really little more than glorified shopping centers. Unless Fleet leadership actively promotes a sense of cameraderie and people are sought out to play together or just sit around chewing the fat with friends and fleetmates. Creating such isn't hard. But it does require effort and time. Something lacking a lot recently. An example of this sort of activity would the the events hosted by Shutup Wesley. Been to these and had a lot of fun. Met some great people. And saw Fleet leaders in action who were far more than glorified bean counters and Project slotters..

Lastly, I learned a very long time ago any organization is a direct reflection of its leadership. If the leadership is flawed, then the organization will be similarly flawed. The position of leader of any organization anywhere is not supposed to just be the one who tells others what to do. A good leader leads best by serving those he/she leads. And sometimes this means contributing more Dilthium than anyone else and then being quiet about doing so. I've done so. And I am about the most selfish person you'll ever meet. So if I can do this, anyone can.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.