test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Finally Saw ST Beyond

otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
Finally saw ST Beyond and I wanted to hate it, I mean as a purest I should but I couldn't do it. As a matter of fact I liked it so much that I decided to rethink how I feel about the first two movies. I still love the originals but the new films have their own place as well, not as remakes but as good stand alone films. If these weren't Star Trek films I would love them so why can't I love them as Star Trek films. I especially loved the way they portreyed Amb Spock's death and the scean (Spoiler) where Spock opens a box of Old Spocks things and finds a picture of the Old Crew, the new giving homage to the old.
Fleet Admiral Stephen

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    You can still love it as Star Trek. Just remember that they gave us a bone in '09 with it being an Alternate Reality.
    And another reason it was better was because not only was it written by Simon Pegg, a Star Trek Fan, but Justin Lin, the director, wanted to do it justice as well since he also likes Star Trek.

Jury's still out on my end on the new Enterprise-A though. Then again it took me until the Enterprise popped out of Titan for me to like the reboot Enterprise. But if she still has the big nacelle struts like in the concept art... Gonna take a lot to get me to like the new design.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I want a 300 year old motorbike that starts up first go.​​

As opposed to the infinitely more complex spaceship that did the same?
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    artan42 wrote: »
    I want a 300 year old motorbike that starts up first go.

As opposed to the infinitely more complex spaceship that did the same?

If you know the answer, don't post the question. Mx4Vj8T.png

I don't know the question or the answer?​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Glad you liked it, OP. I did as well.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    The ship was being repaired by the alien chick. The bike wasn't.

Gimme the bike!

I can't remember but when was it said she never touched the bike?​​

#TASforSTO

• otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
    Glad you liked it, OP. I did as well.

Thank you.

Fleet Admiral Stephen
    The ship was being repaired by the alien chick. The bike wasn't.

Gimme the bike!

I can't remember but when was it said she never touched the bike?​​

Bike or ship, both were Awesome, I want them both. Also, we don't know what happened btw the time Kirk said I have an idea and when he appeared on the bike, could it be that the alien girl and Scotty caused the miracle to happen?

Fleet Admiral Stephen
    Well... Scotty is a Miralce Worker in any reality... right? ;)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Still waiting for it to come out on "On Demand".
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    I liked it, but wasn't a fan of the new ship. If you're going to have over-the-top bubble nacelles, you should commit to it. And would've been interesting to understand how/why the alien transformation worked. (Unless I missed that somewhere) Otherwise, looking fwd to checking it out again on Bluray.
    I think the new nacelles and saucer could have looked better on the previous hull. Maybe tweak the struts a bit to be wider apart, but keep the same style.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    star trek doesn't deal in 'understanding' they say something happened and the average audience member is supposed to just accept that it works without delving too deeply...because as a lot of the recent threads trying to puzzle out how some bit of treknobabble or another works, the person who created it didn't think too hard or deeply on how his treknobabble should actually work​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    As much as I disliked the first 2 films and the JJ enterprise, I enjoyed Beyond. Watching the Enterprise's demise was bitter sweet.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      edited October 2016
      There will always be an Enterprise, you knock her down, or blow her up and she always comes back. What happens when they get to Z? Start over with the Greek Alphabet?
      Fleet Admiral Stephen
    • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
      To me, Beyond was a mediocre movie through and through. It may be the best of the KT films and may not be a terrible movie, but that's as much as you can say about it.

It had a few genuinely good moments and even one that had me shed tears like a targlet, but for the most part it lacked substance. It was really aimed at being a movie like you see them in today's screenings, it never diverged from the default box office formula. Way too many, endless action scenes and way too few, dearly needed scenes of exposition and characterisation. The antagonist's motivation and his methods remained flimsy at best and completely idiotic at worse and half of the potential the movie had wasn't touched at all. Space/battle scenes were bombastic and high-gloss, yet way too dark and shaky and, again, they never, ever stopped. There was some genuinely heartwarming humour in it as well as terribly forced "laughs" for lol's sake.​​
      lFC4bt2.gif
      ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
      "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
      "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
      "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
      angrytarg wrote: »
      ...It had a few genuinely good moments and even one that had me shed tears like a targlet...

Good tears or bad tears?​​

#TASforSTO

• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User

How do you know that Scotty didn't tinker with it before Kirk got there?
      B)
      STO Member since February 2009.
      I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
      Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
      upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
      daveyny wrote: »

How do you know that Scotty didn't tinker with it before Kirk got there?
      B)

For that matter, how do we know Kirk didn't tinker with it. Didn't he say his dad used to own one?
      Perhaps everybody had a go on it. It was the ship's bicycle.​​

#TASforSTO

Good tears or bad tears?

Well, good, sad ones. The photograph in Spock's belongings.​​
      lFC4bt2.gif
      ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
      "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
      "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
      "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
      angrytarg wrote: »
      To me, Beyond was a mediocre movie through and through. It may be the best of the KT films and may not be a terrible movie, but that's as much as you can say about it.

It had a few genuinely good moments and even one that had me shed tears like a targlet, but for the most part it lacked substance. It was really aimed at being a movie like you see them in today's screenings, it never diverged from the default box office formula. Way too many, endless action scenes and way too few, dearly needed scenes of exposition and characterisation. The antagonist's motivation and his methods remained flimsy at best and completely idiotic at worse and half of the potential the movie had wasn't touched at all. Space/battle scenes were bombastic and high-gloss, yet way too dark and shaky and, again, they never, ever stopped. There was some genuinely heartwarming humour in it as well as terribly forced "laughs" for lol's sake.​​

Soooo it was a typical trek movie
      GwaoHAD.png
      neoakiraii wrote: »
      Soooo it was a typical trek movie

Regarding the plot and "villian" absolutely. It was literally the same setup with slightly modified scenery than every other Trek movie except for 1 and 4.​​
      lFC4bt2.gif
    • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
      They really need to come up with a better structure for these movies. But I guess this is the formula that sells best?

Or is it? How succesful was IV compared to the others? I found it one of the most entertaining simply because it was fun. Yes, by today's standard maybe a bit on the preachy side, but that is also part of Trek IMO.
      Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
      I stubbed my toe

MUST WIPE OUT THE FEDERATION!!!!!!!
      GwaoHAD.png