test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sept 8th 50th anniversary and nothing?

Comments

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I would have at least expected what they normally have at this time of year, end of Summer giveaways, Lobi Store sales, etc.

What did we get for First Contact Day this year? A VR Duty Officer (Neil Falconer), the Epic Phoenix replica Admiralty card. and the Assimilated Assault Cruiser Epic Admiralty Card. Granted First Contact Day in 2015 had no celebration at all because they were too busy. Also, 2016 will be the 20th Anniversary of the First Contact Movie release (November 22).

I guess the 50th just snuck up on them before they could arrange some sort of celebration. We got coal. :)

'Make up the fires, and buy another coal-scuttle before you dot another i, Bob Cratchit!
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    nikephorus wrote: »
    raxicorico wrote: »
    tousseau wrote: »
    Did anyone check Reddit, to see if the crew posted anything there?

Nothing I saw on reddit but a funny 'April fools like' mockup of a 50 ec 'Happy 50th' Promo.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/51sk7g/50th_anniversary_promo_live_in_zen_store/

That actually gave me a laugh.

More than what the Devs have given me today that's for sure...and hey, even a sentimental laugh from the dev's with something witty in game would have been appreciated at this point if they couldn't manage anything else.

Sweet! I can finally get that hypo I've always wanted!

Hahahahah. That made me chuckle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tostrek2012tostrek2012 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    arionisa wrote: »
    The 50th Anniversary event was supposed to be a 23C T6 ship for each faction. They wanted it to be a surprise so there was no announcement, which was a good thing.

Although the Romulan and Klingon ships turned out just as awesome as expected, something went wrong with thee Fed ship and it is not ready yet.

Obviously giving the Romulans and Klingons something without the Feds getting getting something just as good if not better is not an option. Unfortunately they had no backup plan in place........

It is not April Fool yet.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Well, last April Fool's we got Horta Bridge Officers. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    I didn't expect Cryptic to give anything away for the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek.

I did expect them to at least acknowledge that today is the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek on their own site. Or at the very least a banner on the launcher, since everyone who logs into the game would see it.

So far, nothing. Maybe there is something on ARC but since I don't use that...

Oh well, at least the game is up and running so I guess there is that to be thankful for.

Happy 50th Star Trek!
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    They probably completely forget about it, and instead were busy this year making Agents of Yesterday, getting a Kelvin Connie and the TOS Connie as endgame ship into the game, and making Star Trek Online available on the TV screen as if Star Trek was some kind of goddamn TV show.
    Not a single nod to the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek.
    I know this is sarcasm, but I was expecting at least a blog on the actual 'birthday'. Something nice to read or maybe a nice little title akin to the 25th anniversary of TNG. I was expecting at least something, but it's not that bad.

iamynaught wrote: »
    I didn't expect Cryptic to give anything away for the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek.

I did expect them to at least acknowledge that today is the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek on their own site. Or at the very least a banner on the launcher, since everyone who logs into the game would see it.

So far, nothing. Maybe there is something on ARC but since I don't use that...

Oh well, at least the game is up and running so I guess there is that to be thankful for.

Happy 50th Star Trek!
    My thoughts exactly. Happy 50th Trek!
    SP9Pu.gif
  • Options
    chrisofborgchrisofborg Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    raxicorico wrote: »
    tousseau wrote: »
    Did anyone check Reddit, to see if the crew posted anything there?

Nothing I saw on reddit but a funny 'April fools like' mockup of a 50 ec 'Happy 50th' Promo.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/51sk7g/50th_anniversary_promo_live_in_zen_store/

That actually gave me a laugh.

More than what the Devs have given me today that's for sure...and hey, even a sentimental laugh from the dev's with something witty in game would have been appreciated at this point if they couldn't manage anything else.

I do what I can to put a smile on people's faces.
  • Options
    raxicoricoraxicorico Member Posts: 58 Arc User

I do what I can to put a smile on people's faces.

You actually fooled me! :p

I went in-game to find it, I guess more that I was shocked that they had the gaul to do something so utterly mental.

TBH i'm glad that it was a ruse/joke cause even though I am left bewildered the Devs did NOTHING for today, it I think might have been worse had they have done the 50 ec thing.

But yeah it gave me a laugh when I realised I had been had ;)

• Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Happy 50th Anniversary everyone!

First star to the right and then on 'till morning.
  • Options
    phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Like I said, I wasn't expecting anything for free or anything like a sale really either (all though, considering they've handed out **** for far less important things, it seems reasonable that they'd do something similar for this) but it'd definitely the lack of any fanfare that is really the surprising thing. The day of the 50th anniversary is a one time thing after all, so yes, it's true, it'll pass, but if it passes with no real attention drawn to it by a company that has been milking it (and cashing in on it) for at least the last 3 months or so, then that's pretty pathetic in my opinion.

Well, from what I can see (and have said above), even the official Star Trek store isn't giving away anything for free today. Neither is ThinkGeek, nor is Star Trek Bridge Crew. They're all "milking" the IP too, aren't they? I'm not sure why Cryptic is being held to a different standard with regard to "no free stuff".

I agree it is a bit odd to not even have a short blog post or something.

Again...not saying I expected anything free, so stop saying that I said I am please.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1

Happy 50th Star Trek!

^this
    Saddens me FACEBOOK of all f'n things did a better job....
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    valoreah wrote: »

Well, from what I can see (and have said above), even the official Star Trek store isn't giving away anything for free today. Neither is ThinkGeek, nor is Star Trek Bridge Crew. They're all "milking" the IP too, aren't they? I'm not sure why Cryptic is being held to a different standard with regard to "no free stuff".

And By milking the IP, I mean that cryptic has been plugging things related to and surrounding the 50th anniversary for at least the last 3 months, some would say that that was in anticipation of actually acknowledging the actual date of the 50th anniversary. But I suppose that's crazy talk.

Thinkgeek at least put up a tribute video. Oh, and they have Some Star Trek stuff on sale, and a free t-shirt with orders over $50. All of which is more than Cryptic has done.

• Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User

Happy 50th Star Trek!

^this

yeah... at least two other star trek games are doing giveaways/contests. not great ones mind you. but more then cryptic is doing.

I'm still just baffled why they would do I could understand if they got busy and didn't realize how close it was, but to choose to do nothing. are they trying to make the fan rage?

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options

Happy 50th Star Trek!

^this

My point exactly.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    They probably completely forget about it, and instead were busy this year making Agents of Yesterday, getting a Kelvin Connie and the TOS Connie as endgame ship into the game, and making Star Trek Online available on the TV screen as if Star Trek was some kind of goddamn TV show.
    Not a single nod to the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek.
    I know this is sarcasm, but I was expecting at least a blog on the actual 'birthday'. Something nice to read or maybe a nice little title akin to the 25th anniversary of TNG. I was expecting at least something, but it's not that bad.
    I kinda expected something like that, too.
    But one can't pretend they completely missed the fact and did nothing for the Anniversary.

But I have no idea why there hasn't been an official post yet. Even if it's just the twitter pic. Oh, well, it could be that they wait for the official air date or something, no idea what that would be in my time zone. But we only know when the day and week-end has passed.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,321 Arc User
    I am starting to wonder about Star trek 50th anniversary in STO.
    One would expect that marketing would jump on the chance for some sort of promotion, but there is not even a blog.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    happymarvinhappymarvin Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    I would have loved it if for the day everybody's ship was turned into a Connie, or you got to visit a museum piece and run around the interior. Something stupid, but fun.
  • Options
    saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    At least there is a blog incoming. I don't expect free stuff but not even mentioning the anniversary would have been disappointing.
  • Options
    misterferengi#8959 misterferengi Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    Non-Official response

https://youtu.be/M5QGkOGZubQ
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10153362-star-trek-online-50th-anniversary-giveaway

Excellent! Thanks Cryptic.

I've already got the set, but it's great that you guys acknowledged the anniversary!

I apologize for jumping all over you guys.
  • Options
    norcaler2norcaler2 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    It's a...$30ish value? Biggest giveaway they've ever done.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    goes well with the last "expansion"... wondered why they didnt include the uniforms and only gave us torn versions... good thing I didnt buy it during the last 20% off everything sale. at least now I can dress up my 24C BOs in 23C uniforms.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    ooooo they fooled us, jerry!
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    norcaler2 wrote: »
    It's a...$30ish value? Biggest giveaway they've ever done.

Thought it was only 2k zen for this bundle? or 1600 zen during a 20% off everything sale.

• Options
    chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10153362-star-trek-online-50th-anniversary-giveaway

Excellent! Thanks Cryptic.

I've already got the set, but it's great that you guys acknowledged the anniversary!

I apologize for jumping all over you guys.

A lot more generous than I would've imagined. Thank ye kindly.
    SP9Pu.gif