test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sept 8th 50th anniversary and nothing?

Comments

• kapla5571kapla5571 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    leemwatson wrote: »
    Technically it's not the 50th yet as it's not past the original broadcast time of the very first episode....they could be just waiting for that. Not really dropped the ball as they've had AoY event and released a T6 Connie in celebration already. People really shouldn't set their expectations so high all the time. Keep them low so anything more is a blessing!

So you think they are gonna wait until 830 pm PDT to say happy 50th anniversary?

If anything was gonna be added it would have been in patch, so nope. Maybe we can get shirts with the STO twitter staff pic as a giveaway at some point? ;)

• birzarkbirzark Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    Well i did find out why nothing is happening today from Startrek Mission NY, the answer is Agents of Yesterday and the release of STO on console were for the 50th anniversay nothing else was planned. At least thats what they told me.

Also happy 50th yay.
  • kapla5571kapla5571 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    Hmm so it is actually just get your lotobox... we even have them on consoles now. :/

I wasn't expecting much, But how long does it take to throw a "Happy 50th" intro screen for the launcher together?
  • phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    Given that they've been doing bonus events and zen sales every other week lately and seem to post a blog to celebrate the most mundane things, I'm flabbergasted that they haven't done something - even a 10% off sale or something - to celebrate this momentous occasion.

It's quite unbelievable really.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not really even looking for a freebee or anything, but to just drop a photo on twitter and call it a day is a really lackluster way of celebrating in my opinion.

There's still a few hours left in the day, maybe they'll announce something...but I'm not holding my breath.
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    Wasn't there a patch today? We got a patch! Also...everyone should watch a few episodes of Trek today.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    kapla5571 wrote: »
    I wasn't expecting much, But how long does it take to throw a "Happy 50th" intro screen for the launcher together?
    ^^^
    Cryptic Marketing -- Full of win. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • daviesdaviesdaviesdavies Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    Special item for today -> 50 times of SNR
    Mzd8i1c.gif
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    Special item for today -> 50 times of SNR

More like:
    "For the 50th anniversarry - all red SNR messages will stop counting at 50 seconds." ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • hugin1205hugin1205 Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    My first thought was that cryptic took another opportunity of insulting fans (after that dodgy giveaway Ferengi ship to SOME, including JJ, making JJ ships LB ships,...)

but I think that they probably didn't know that there was an anniversary on. Or what Star Trek is...
    18 characters
    KDF: 2 tacs, 2 engs, 3 scis
    KDF Roms: 3 tacs, 1 eng, 1 scis
    FED: 2 tacs, 1 eng, 2 scis
    TOS: 1 tac
    all on T5 rep (up to temporal)
    all have mastered Intel tree (and some more specs Points)
    highest DPS: 60.982
  • waldotrekwaldotrek Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    For the record the US Postal Service remembered to do something special for the 50th..THE POST OFFICE!! A government run business which owes you nothing Star Trek related. And they had Walter Koenig show up to help out. And they did it early in the week. (throws hands in the air)
    Former Moderator 10-28-16
  • raxicoricoraxicorico Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I think it's shameful.

And for many of us out there, STO is the biggest or only Star Trek fix we have with anyone even remotely wanting to do with anything Trek.

Given it is an officially endorsed product, they really have lost the ball on this one. After the marketing total F*&k-up with Beyond for the 50th, and everything else alongside, heads should roll and I agree with analysts out there that the 50th has really been mishandled on a such an unprecedentedly bad scale in almost every avenue possible.
  • cornelianuscornelianus Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    raxicorico wrote: »
    I think it's shameful.

And for many of us out there, STO is the biggest or only Star Trek fix we have with anyone even remotely wanting to do with anything Trek.

Given it is an officially endorsed product, they really have lost the ball on this one. After the marketing total F*&k-up with Beyond for the 50th, and everything else alongside, heads should roll and I agree with analysts out there that the 50th has really been mishandled on a such an unprecedentedly bad scale in almost every avenue possible.

I agree. It baffles me why they couldn't have given away TOS era ships for the STO anniversary this year instead of putting them in a lock box. They seem to have given the fans a giant middle finger.

• reafisreafis Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    Guys come on, they just had to get this lovely buggy mess to work on consoles.

They will have stuff planned it's just getting a 6 year old engine to work on ps4 and Xbox one is not an easy thing to do

Give them more time
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Did anyone check Reddit, to see if the crew posted anything there?
  • freightstopperfreightstopper Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    I guess the R&D lotto boxes WERE the 50th anniversary for cr4ptic (no I haven't seen the other letter that's suppose to be there for years).

Welp, that proves that money is more important to all those 'fans' of Star Trek who only work on this game because they love the IP so much.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    Star Trek turned 50, and all I got from Cryptic was this lousy picture

Cr2Std7VIAA4ieu.jpg
    tousseau wrote: »

Nothing I saw on reddit but a funny 'April fools like' mockup of a 50 ec 'Happy 50th' Promo.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/51sk7g/50th_anniversary_promo_live_in_zen_store/

That actually gave me a laugh.

More than what the Devs have given me today that's for sure...and hey, even a sentimental laugh from the dev's with something witty in game would have been appreciated at this point if they couldn't manage anything else.
  • binebanebinebane Member Posts: 557 Arc User
    they are closing server for 50th anniversary...
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    raxicorico wrote: »
    tousseau wrote: »

Nothing I saw on reddit but a funny 'April fools like' mockup of a 50 ec 'Happy 50th' Promo.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/51sk7g/50th_anniversary_promo_live_in_zen_store/

That actually gave me a laugh.

More than what the Devs have given me today that's for sure...and hey, even a sentimental laugh from the dev's with something witty in game would have been appreciated at this point if they couldn't manage anything else.

Sweet! I can finally get that hypo I've always wanted!
    Tza0PEl.png
  • dlmc85dlmc85 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    They should have released today the T6 connie in the promo; it would have been perfect and people would have been clapping their hands everywhere.
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    Hmm, I've stated several times in other threads that I only expected a Dev Blog saying "Happy 50th Star Trek!"... It seems that several devs have posted Tweets instead, an acceptable compromise I suppose.

I had no expectations of free stuff, and I'm certainly not going to complain that Cryptic didn't host any kind of giveaway. No harm done. :)

So, I'll just say: Happy 50th Anniversary Star Trek!
    edited September 2016
    nikephorus wrote: »
    Sweet! I can finally get that hypo I've always wanted!

LMAO... That was funny Nikephorus :D

Thx. Keep the laughs coming ppl :)
  • phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    nabreeki wrote: »
    lol. It's not a big deal, my dude. It's just a day. This too shall pass.

While I would agree with you that the entitlement generation appears to be out in full force in this thread, this really isn't just any ordinary day.

Celebrating the 50th anniversary of the IP the game based is not something that comes along every day. It is a bit odd there isn't so much as a simple blog post about it.

I don't expect free giveaways or 10% off sales or anything of that sort. But nothing? No mention of it at all? That is kinda strange.

Like I said, I wasn't expecting anything for free or anything like a sale really either (all though, considering they've handed out TRIBBLE for far less important things, it seems reasonable that they'd do something similar for this) but it'd definitely the lack of any fanfare that is really the surprising thing. The day of the 50th anniversary is a one time thing after all, so yes, it's true, it'll pass, but if it passes with no real attention drawn to it by a company that has been milking it (and cashing in on it) for at least the last 3 months or so, then that's pretty pathetic in my opinion.

• arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    The 50th Anniversary event was supposed to be a 23C T6 ship for each faction. They wanted it to be a surprise so there was no announcement, which was a good thing.

Although the Romulan and Klingon ships turned out just as awesome as expected, something went wrong with thee Fed ship and it is not ready yet.

Obviously giving the Romulans and Klingons something without the Feds getting getting something just as good if not better is not an option. Unfortunately they had no backup plan in place........
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Tomorrow will be the day that Star Trek exists for 50 years and one day.

Let's speculate on what Cryptic will do for this very special day!