test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why no Caitian Temporal Agents?

otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
Why aren't Caitians available for the temporal operatives, M'Res was on the Enterprise in 23rd century so why no Caitians?
Fleet Admiral Stephen

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Probably because there were not Caitians in TOS. They came in with TAS, which for all intents and purposes is pretty much TOS season 4.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Because AoY is unfortunately not a 23rd century expansion but a purely TOS one (well despite all the little things not from TOS like personal shields, more than just the Constitution Class, female captains, Starfleet Tellarites and Andorians etc.) so things from ENT, The Cage, 09, and TAS are all out despite preceding or existing at the same time as TOS are out.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Because the Caitians refused to participate in the timecops' high-handed patronizing bullsh*t.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
    They visit the JJ verse and get a crew member from there but you can't have a Captain from TAS? NOT FAIR!
    Fleet Admiral Stephen
  • wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    garaks31 wrote: »
    and Aenar would be nice

Too rare to be playable for that time period. I forget what the playable Aenar discript says about it for a regular playable captian. TOS seems to be only the most common types only.

I guess a rule of thumb would be: Would you have seen them on the Bridge of the Classic Enterprise series? No? Then there probably won't be a captian version for 23c.

Guess this means no aliens from Mars Attacks. Ack-Ack! Ack! AckAckAck-Ack-Ack!

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    why no caitian temporal agents?

because i chased them all up a tree​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited September 2016
    Hang on! There are Caitian Temporal Agents, and Gorn too!

That guy in the Space Volvo who all ways shows up just after you need him calls you a Temporal agent! What's his name........you know......the Not Daniels guy.

dino5-5.gif​​

Agent Crey.

As for no Caitens... There weren't any in TAS. Those are a different alien species. I think there were several cat-people in TAS. One was the Slaver race. Then there were the ones on the main ship, and another one, I think. Had names different from STO's nod-to-the-Furries.

Besides, there's all that legal licensing and copyright/trademark restrictions as to who exactly owns what with TAS.

Like who REALLY owns Macross or Robotech brands. TAS was a brand. STO is a brand. VOY is a brand... and it can all get tied up in little things such as who actually drew the original design for a thing or named it.

This is the same mess that the Hobbit films and Lord of the Rings films ran into. They very nearly didn't let them release those or make the second four films of the Hobbit, since the estate of Tolkien hadn't been contacted to make the films in the first place until after the first had been (or was about to be) released. They wanted a percent. Similar perhaps with TAS.
    Now if they just went ahead with a design like the ones from TAS? Oh. Well, then it's copyright infringment and they find themselves in the huge mess that nearly had Transformers ('80 toon edition) pulled from the screen. Starscream's design was stolen from Robotech/Macross - right down to a skull-fighter decal on the side in the early episodes.
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    As for no Caitens... There weren't any in TAS.

latest?cb=20061205201828&path-prefix=en
    M'Ress would like to have a word with you.
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/M'Ress
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    As for no Caitens... There weren't any in TAS. Those are a different alien species. I think there were several cat-people in TAS. One was the Slaver race. Then there were the ones on the main ship, and another one, I think. Had names different from STO's nod-to-the-Furries.

What? TAS (aside from The Voyage Home) is the only appearance of Caitians in Star Trek.
    Besides, there's all that legal licensing and copyright/trademark restrictions as to who exactly owns what with TAS.

Like who REALLY owns Macross or Robotech brands. TAS was a brand. STO is a brand. VOY is a brand... and it can all get tied up in little things such as who actually drew the original design for a thing or named it.

CBS. Niven owns the rights to the Kzinti so as a result The Slaver's Weapon is mostly off the table but the rest of TAS is CBS' property and included in Cryptic's license from CBS.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

edited September 2016
    rattler2 wrote: »
    As for no Caitens... There weren't any in TAS.

latest?cb=20061205201828&path-prefix=en
    M'Ress would like to have a word with you.
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/M'Ress

Was that the word they used for her people? hmm. I'm going to have to go watch it again. would have sworn it said a different but similar name...
    o.O

Open mouth, insert paw.
    Memory Alpha lists her as Caitian so... She be Caitian.
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    78c2b58ca8293a46d3c6d7e3c91dcd76_zpsfkjg7yrf.jpg

Well no. MA lists sources that refer to her as Caitian so she's Caitian. Even then the sources are non-canon so take the name with a grain of salt.

Besides MA also mistakenly lists two random Risaian/Cardassian hybrids as Caitians despite not being felinoid so it's clearly not a good source.​​

#TASforSTO

FiIY4NP.jpg
    artan42 wrote: »
    Besides MA also mistakenly lists two random Risaian/Cardassian hybrids as Caitians despite not being felinoid so it's clearly not a good source.​​

If you're referring to the two "cat girls" from Into Darkness... I don't consider those two to be Caitians. Its a total departure from what we know as Caitians. Moreso than the whole Klingon appearance paradox ever was. Just because someone off camera called them Caitians doesn't make them so. Just like "Klingons always looked like they do in TMP" doesn't make it so.
    Those were just aliens with tails..

and the Klingons sometimes had hair in Classic. later blamed on the virus.

Well no. MA lists sources that refer to her as Caitian so she's Caitian. Even then the sources are non-canon so take the name with a grain of salt.

Besides MA also mistakenly lists two random Risaian/Cardassian hybrids as Caitians despite not being felinoid so it's clearly not a good source.

I'm so sorry, he's from England. dino3-8.gif

I should have expected a random non-sequitur from an Australian.​​

#TASforSTO

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

Silly artan, no amount of head canon will change things. :p

Also, neither Risians nor Cardies have tails soooo...

To be honest if the catgirls had fur it'd be a totally different argument.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg

Besides MA also mistakenly lists two random Risaian/Cardassian hybrids as Caitians despite not being felinoid so it's clearly not a good source.

And Caitians have cat features which the Risaian/Cardassian hybrids do not. No amount of non-canon off the cuffness from somebody with literally no connection to casting, characters, makeup, or incidental scenes will change that.​​

#TASforSTO

And Caitians have cat features which the Risaian/Cardassian hybrids do not. No amount of non-canon off the cuffness from somebody with literally no connection to casting, characters, makeup, or incidental scenes will change that.​​
    Perhaps they'd simply shaved themselves... JJ seems to have a thing for shaved Romulans and Klingons...

And Caitians have cat features which the Risaian/Cardassian hybrids do not. No amount of non-canon off the cuffness from somebody with literally no connection to casting, characters, makeup, or incidental scenes will change that.
    Perhaps they'd simply shaved themselves... JJ seems to have a thing for shaved Romulans and Klingons...

They'd have needed to have done far more than that.

maxresdefault.jpg​​

#TASforSTO

And Caitians have cat features which the Risaian/Cardassian hybrids do not. No amount of non-canon off the cuffness from somebody with literally no connection to casting, characters, makeup, or incidental scenes will change that.

They'd have needed to have done far more than that.

maxresdefault.jpg​​
    Hmm, that's true... Looking at the neck of the girl on the right, I think that's a reuse of the prosthetic they used on the side/back of Nero's head to represent a bite wound...
    huh.
    Sound Tailed-Humans would be Caitans if I used the argument for those aliens from into darkness. I know of several types of Tailed-Humans, from those with fatty flesh, to the very rare prehensile long-tail. Shame that it's standard practice to chop it off at birth in most places. Prehensile would seem more of a usable feature than a detrimental deformaty. But because they're different, it's gotta go. *chop-chop* Doesn't matter to the doctors that that person's now going to have to run around with a TRIBBLE-bag the rest of their life as they can't control there nethers once that sergury is done. Same thing happens with dogs and cats who've been lopped to close to the pelvis. Some Manx are born that way.

Anyway, I'm sliding off topic. But really.. Tailed humans.. The source of many legends.. The Fey come to mind.