test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Agents of Yesterday Now Live!

Comments

• Options
    daderganonumbersdaderganonumbers Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    Well there's always "Past Imperfect" and "Night of the Comet" (though having only just finished the Babylon 4ish episode, I haven't got to the end of the faction missions yet... so don't know where you emerge in the standard STO timeline).

Yeah, I know, and I'm looking forward to them. I love the way they
    work in a reference to "Night of the Comet" the first time we meet Scotty.
    I'm just lamenting the loss of the old-school sandbox. There's a hard-wall Romulan Neutral Zone with clickable destinations on the other side of it! Please don't tell me there's no plan for that.

You emerge at the very beginning, minus the Captain Taggart tutorial arc.
  • Options
    thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User

Got to say, I had to chuckle at that, too. Makes me wonder what'll happen in Everything Old is New and Past Imperfect, because that's
    two more TOS era figures we will interact with anachronistically - curious that Spock and McCoy don't remember.

• Options
    zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    The TOS expansion has me pleasantly surprised so far.....ALMOST enough to forgive Cryptic not paying out to use the Frans Joseph dreadnought:
    92116d8e10ae729e8ee3958c6676a5dc.jpg
  • Options
    pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I had my doubts about this expansion but other than the handful of bugs and the (expected) day two patch, I was really happy with the new TOS content and the new temporal war content.

That said, I was so impressed by the TOS content that now I've joined the vocal minority of players who want a more immersive TOS experience after the initial missions are done.

Here is a free idea for the devs: Why not add an option to the temporal anomaly near ESD that is used for vet/lifetime players and make it so players have the option of visiting the useless vet/lifetime reward starbase or players can use that anomaly to go back in time to the old TOS ESD and "maybe" the old TOS sector space map with two unique TOS PVE queues?
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • Options
    zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    I had my doubts about this expansion but other than the handful of bugs and the (expected) day two patch, I was really happy with the new TOS content and the new temporal war content.

That said, I was so impressed by the TOS content that now I've joined the vocal minority of players who want a more immersive TOS experience after the initial missions are done.

Here is a free idea for the devs: Why not add an option to the temporal anomaly near ESD that is used for vet/lifetime players and make it so players have the option of visiting the useless vet/lifetime reward starbase or players can use that anomaly to go back in time to the old TOS ESD and "maybe" the old TOS sector space map with two unique TOS PVE queues?

+1
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,178 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Damit you ruined Agents of Yesterday with all the blur and filmgrain. I was really looking forward to this but its looks terrible. https://s31.postimg.org/v4rfy9fm3/filmgrain.jpg could that look any worse! That's me out, worst expansion ever, unless I can find a way to turn all this rubbish.

You guys really need to chill. It's really not that bad. However, I am noticing significant stutters and frames in the AoY missions that I'm not getting in the rest of the game. No idea if the grain is contributing, or something else, but they need to identify it.
    It really is that bad as it triggers migraines and as you found out causes the game to stutter all for worse graphics.

• Options
    unclegoldieunclegoldie Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    I have to agree that the film grain bothers me. I haven't experienced the migraines others have, but I am experiencing something of an eye strain from it. In either case, if this is something that can cause potential health issues, then Cryptic should consider adding an option to turn it off.
    Epohh Vindaloo and beer milkshakes for everyone
    jH7LGEi.jpg
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Its only 6 episodes, cant you just grin and bear it? Not that big of a deal.
  • Options
    highlord83highlord83 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Its only 6 episodes, cant you just grin and bear it? Not that big of a deal.

"Grin and bear it" is pretty much the total opposite of having fun.

I can put up with the grain effect. No migraines or eye problems on my end, but it's still something that I have to put up with and it very much negatively impacts my enjoyment of the AoY missions. They'd be my favorite part of the game were it not for the stupid and entirely undesired and unneeded film grain.

Even worse, all it would have taken was a toggle in the graphics options menu to turn it off, and it'd be gold. No muss, no fuss, no "grin and bear it." But listening to their fans and testers is apparently beyond the dev team.
    "So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again."
    -Dedication plaque of the Federation Starship U.S.S. Merkava
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    btw, who made the new forum layout? it is very nice. Chekov is just perfect :)
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the new expansion is working. I ran into a minor bug in the Taurus II mission, but everything else is working as intended, including server stability. I'm not happy that the "Server Not Responding" time between fleet holdings has gone up from 30 seconds to more that 40 seconds now, but I'm sure Cryptic will eventually figure that out. Kudos to Mr. Ricossa for his successful leadership in this expansion!
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    dariusturaldariustural Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    My 2 credits worth...
    Remember the DS9 episode where Cisco and the Defiant crew were taken back to the 23rd century by the Orb of Time (might have it wrong)? I thought it was great how they meshed new with the old, lighting and filtering to make it close to TOS for that episode. To me, it is an artistic quality that does not affect me personally.
    Now, onto game mechanics. I am stuck on the first mission, The Andorian lieutenant has fallen off the grid and no objectives are showing on the planet at the crash site. Will try a replay later and see if it goes away.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Got to say, I had to chuckle at that, too. Makes me wonder what'll happen in Everything Old is New and Past Imperfect, because that's
    two more TOS era figures we will interact with anachronistically - curious that Spock and McCoy don't remember.
    It kinda makes sense. They barely met you in the past, and this is presumably after you die.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Just to add a bit of a positive spin to some of the negativity here, I've been working on a new (regular) character and just played "Night of the Comet" again. I found it enjoyable that VO's have been added to that (and others) episode, especially Scotty.

As far as the 23rd Century playthrough, I'm curious who's doing the voices for Uhura, Sulu and Bones on ESD. Uhura, especially, sounds a lot like Nichelle Nichols so if it's not the actual actress then whoever is doing the voice did a great job in my opinion.
    jH7LGEi.jpg
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    Can we please have the updated maps from the AoY mission: Return to Babel from the Enterprise added to the Constitution interior, please?
  • Options
    admiralsvak2admiralsvak2 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    I'm loving AOY, (so far no problems on my end btw) but I wish there was some way to get back to the 23rd century.....
  • Options
    aphelionmarauderaphelionmarauder Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    Cryptic released exciting new missions, a reputation that is fantastic, new items, and made the whole thing amazing. Hopefully, we get to see some TAS content. #TASforSTO

But overall, well done Cryptic! They have really excited me enough to seriously consider spending money on this game (I don't have much discretionary spending money, but of what I have, I think I will use.)​​
    Support the movement!
    Come stand with us in supporting Star Trek: The Animated Series content for STO! (It's canon!) #TASforSTO

Time travel and glass-cannon ships hurt my head and is NOT what Trek is about. Trek is exploration, becoming better as a species, and gaining scientific knowledge while holding on to the traditions that got us where were are.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User

^^^
    What a marvelous idea.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    nikolunusnikolunus Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    Aside from replaying missions to get them, I want to know are there others ways of getting the 23c ship and ground gear, cause honestly just love the icon and the diffrence of them even if they are just the same as standard gear its nice to just run something diffrent than the norm.
    Space is vast, it's wonderful and maddening. Yet in that madness is some of the greatest beauty I have ever seen.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    As far as the 23rd Century playthrough, I'm curious who's doing the voices for Uhura, Sulu and Bones on ESD. Uhura, especially, sounds a lot like Nichelle Nichols so if it's not the actual actress then whoever is doing the voice did a great job in my opinion.

That's because they are retasking recorded audio clips from TOS and TAS (and lines cut together from Leonard Nimoy's oration from the original STO opening cutscene when you launch the game for the very first time.) For me it's somewhat jarring because the quality of the clips vary wildly; but it's okay. I'm amazed at much Chis Doohan can sound (to me) EXACTLY like his father did in the original series <--- That blew me away.
    Post edited by crypticarmsman on
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I noticed some subtle upgrades to the character animations :smile:
    For example if you do a forward roll the character lands in a crouch and cancels the forward momentum.

I could be blind for not noticing it sooner ^^ But credit goes to the team for the details that add to the feeelz in the game :smile:
    Post edited by kelettes on
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    edited July 2016

That's because they are retasking recorded audio clips from TOS and TAS (and lines cut together from Leonard Nimoy's oration from the original STO opening cutscene when you launch the game for the very first time.) For me it's somewhat jarring because the quality of the clips vary wildly; but it's okay. I'm amazed at much Chis Doohan can sound (to me) EXACTLY like his father did in the original series <--- That blew me away.

I had noticed what they did for Nimoy's bit. Sulu's voice/recording sounded very corrupted to me, so it was really hard to even tell what was being said, and I really couldn't tell if that was DeForest Kelly's voice used for McCoy.

"Journey to Babel" is one of my favorite TOS episodes, so it was a lot of fun for me scanning the conference room and listening to the conversation between Sarek and the Tellarite Ambassador. I kinda want to replay that mission just to see what would've happened if I had stayed in the room awhile longer instead of leaving so soon because I "was told to."
    jH7LGEi.jpg
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Can you guys put in the missing 23rd Century Bridge Officer abilities on the Bridge Officer Training NPC? Seems you guys are missing the Tactical Team I (23c) and Engineering Team (23c) versions.

Also Engineering BOs are missing 1 23rd Century ground skill altogether... you guys have 2 listings of the Photon Grenade Launcher Fabrication listed.
  • Options
    thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    I wonder if they may change things after the temporal agent event - something like, new characters don't die in the last TOS battle and you continue on until you reach Admiralty level. The reason I wonder this is due to the levels of the TOS ships in game. You don't reach a level sufficiently high enough to use them until you leave the 23rd century... and that seems a bit odd to me. Now I've reached T2, I'm flying a temporal Daedalus class, but I've robed her up with the Nautilus skin... because the aesthetic of the TOS 23rd century ships seems a bit out of kilter with the "modern" ships. If they do that, perhaps they will introduce non temporal versions of the TOS ships.
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    The TOS expansion has me pleasantly surprised so far.....ALMOST enough to forgive Cryptic not paying out to use the Frans Joseph dreadnought:
    92116d8e10ae729e8ee3958c6676a5dc.jpg

Sexy. *shivers*
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

I had noticed what they did for Nimoy's bit. Sulu's voice/recording sounded very corrupted to me, so it was really hard to even tell what was being said, and I really couldn't tell if that was DeForest Kelly's voice used for McCoy.

"Journey to Babel" is one of my favorite TOS episodes, so it was a lot of fun for me scanning the conference room and listening to the conversation between Sarek and the Tellarite Ambassador. I kinda want to replay that mission just to see what would've happened if I had stayed in the room awhile longer instead of leaving so soon because I "was told to."
    I did that, eventually the conversation starts to loop. This happens after Sarek mentions that Tellarites had been trading dilithium from Coridan.
    Yeah it's like the Roxann Dawson clip they did in DR. It's recorded audio from the TV show.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    talasivaritalasivari Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Ok, i'm probably the only one excited about this, but while they didn't let him play Kirk, Vic Minognia is your captain in the tutorial, and stays important throughout the 23rd century missions. thats awesome.

Had to look him up, but glad you gave his name. His VO for AoY is very good.

In fact, the whole arc has been a hoot. Love it a lot! Even the film grain and faux video transfer bloom. Especially like how Cestus III looks like Marin County, CA. Awesome nostalgia.

Well done, Cryptic - I hope you'll expand the AOY arc someday. Gonna buy TOS packs for all my accounts.
    Urtlolev of the Andorian Imperial Fleet
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    To celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek, the crew of Star Trek Online could not be prouder to announce our third expansion - Agents of Yesterday - is now live!

Prepare your classic Original Series tunics and dust off your Mark II phasers; you’re about to take an away mission to an amazing adventure in that classic 60’s era.

~Morrigan "LaughingTrendy"
    Senior Lizard

So I'm going to gush for a bit. I know, it's probably bad form on the forums here, but hey, it's just worth it this time for me.

1- I am a massive fan of the retro sci fi aesthetic that TOS has. I love the look and feel of the show in 2016 because of its vintage-ness.
    2- As such I've always loved the TOS parts of Star Trek Online. And wanted more and more of it.
    3- Agents of Yesterday was that, is that, and so much more!
    4- I feel like you all made this expansion just for me! It really does hit those buttons, in such a fun and engaging way.

I bought the pack. I never buy packs. I didn't buy the Romulan pack even though they're my favorite Star Trek "villain" from the shows. I didn't buy the Delta pack even though I wanted T6 ships. It was just always a bit tooooooo high for me. But the AoY pack, still expensive, was exactly what I wanted in terms of ships! So I saved up. And got it.

I'm loving the missions. The art, the feel, the vibe, the voice over work has just given me the Trek experience I've always wanted.

The Daedalus model! It's been a ship I've clamored for and wanted for 6 years in this game. The Olympic and its variants I loved. But I've always wanted to go back, back, back to the classic golfball.

The film grain effect, I appreciate!

The sound effects make the atmosphere so much more immersive.

The art from top to bottom that the team has done for this expansion just brilliant for me. Everything from the Gorn models to the ship models to the sector map to the backdrop on the character select screen to the ton of new badges (Exeter and Defiant and Starfleet Command badges right from the show!) ... all the work is soooooo appreciated.

So here's my feedback: It's been 6 crazy years. There's been ups. There's been downs. But Agents of Yesterday is everything I've wanted out of Star Trek Online for my own personal tastes, and I thank the entire team for putting this together.

Admiral Komack has been my forum avatar for most of my time here. And now my own little tribute to the awesomeness of AoY is my character is named Komack and rocks the gray hair and all!

All I really want from this is ... heh ... MORE! More 23rd century stuff, if you can find the time and resources. But again, thanks for doing what you did do. I'm loving it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nimbull wrote: »
    wish you could STAY in 23rd century though. Really loving ESD and sector map, etc.
    I know, or at least have the regular modern sector map as TOS style for TOS characters. That'd be really cool. At least the UI stays somewhat TOS'y. I actually wish they did 1-50 as TOS and then transitioned you over.
    Romulans don't get that. For Roms, their story line ends around 30.

also... that would have required them to makes TOS doffs. 10 was not random. it's the level you get doffs, and TOSers get FED doffs. thus they need to ally first or they can't use them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Heh...
    You can almost tell which folks didn't watch TV before the advent of cable in the late 70's.
    If these six missions give you a headache, then you would never have been able to watch TV as much as I did as a kid.

I am truly lovin' AoY Cryptic, thank You very much for bringing a bit of my favorite childhood TOS memories into the game.
    I think I can honestly express that Snoggy and I are deeply grateful, for this addition to the game. B)

The voice overs of the TOS crew are instantly recognizable and brought a smile to my face.
    It's a shame that time, money and Fate didn't allow for more of that kind of interaction.

I'm purposely dragging my feet with the advancement of my TOS Toon as I don't want to leave the 23rd century.
    (though, as of today 7/9/16, I will have finally started the last 23c mission and will have to leave that wonderful Era behind)

I hope that with future additions to the game, some small time could be spent also expanding upon the 23rd century further.

(look no Minion smiley pic, that's me trying not to be annoying)
    B)

Post edited by daveyny on
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif