What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Kelvin Timeline

Comments

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    ian211 wrote: »
    First the Iconians, next the TOS and now the JJ trek. What next? Star Wars. Star Destroyer anyone.
    How the hell did you make the leap from
    -Something form Star Trek
    -Something else from Star Trek
    to
    -Something from Star Wars

Alternate Universe Blackhole.
    (in his head)
    <snicker>
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    but they CLEARLY did have shields, as they were mentioned several times through both movies

likely they were conforming shields like the ones in nemesis were​​

Pretty much this, I think. In some of the licensed JJ-Trek material it's mentioned the shields are some kind of hull-conforming system as the tech to develop full bubble-shields wasn't developed. You can see a similar thing in the Prime Universe around TWOK when the Enterprise shields are represented by hull-hugging dots when they're brought up.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    kelettes wrote: »
    but they CLEARLY did have shields, as they were mentioned several times through both movies

True, that is an explanation for it. It should've still been visible in some fashion if you ask me, like in Nemesis.

When the Scimitar's shots impacted the hull-conforming shields, we got a clearly visible "splash" effect. Another example: when one of the Mogai warbirds explodes and a piece of hull first impacts the Enterprise's saucer and then the left nacelle but the shield protects them both... barely.

Not gonna get stuck up on a minor detail though. X) We'd still thrash any of the JJ-Trek ships, so I'm not sure if any of them would count even as a T5, if any get added to the game at all.

Heck they were pwned by a mining ship that was refitted with Borg tech that basically counts as ancient by 2410. We've seen a lot worse, endured a lot worse, and we can field tougher ships than that.

Given the time period, I think comparing it to TOS or TMP eras makes more sense. The best example I can think of is the final battle in TUDC; it was clearly stated that the Enterprise had it's shields up, but if I'm remembering correctly the torpedoes always appeared to hit bare hull. I don't remember seeing visible shield impacts until the TNG era.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    kelettes wrote: »

True, that is an explanation for it. It should've still been visible in some fashion if you ask me, like in Nemesis.

When the Scimitar's shots impacted the hull-conforming shields, we got a clearly visible "splash" effect. Another example: when one of the Mogai warbirds explodes and a piece of hull first impacts the Enterprise's saucer and then the left nacelle but the shield protects them both... barely.

Not gonna get stuck up on a minor detail though. X) We'd still thrash any of the JJ-Trek ships, so I'm not sure if any of them would count even as a T5, if any get added to the game at all.

Heck they were pwned by a mining ship that was refitted with Borg tech that basically counts as ancient by 2410. We've seen a lot worse, endured a lot worse, and we can field tougher ships than that.

Given the time period, I think comparing it to TOS or TMP eras makes more sense. The best example I can think of is the final battle in TUDC; it was clearly stated that the Enterprise had it's shields up, but if I'm remembering correctly the torpedoes always appeared to hit bare hull. I don't remember seeing visible shield impacts until the TNG era.

Well, there's also the consideration of what's more interesting and exciting to watch for movie-goers. A little shield flare or explosions and shattering hull plates?
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,320 Arc User
    I'm not a big fan of the "lens flare universe" but the story seems to be properly integrated.
    Does it bring playable orions for the federation?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    questerius wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of the "lens flare universe" but the story seems to be properly integrated.
    Does it bring playable orions for the federation?

Not at this time but maybe if it gets more integrated in a season or expansion down the road?
  • Options
    saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    talos8 wrote: »
    Would love the J.J.Prise if it's sturdier than the movie version.

Seeing as the T1 Miranda is sturdier than the movie JJPrise, it's a safe bet it will be.

• Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    Both times the KT Enterprise was in combat in the movies, it was up against vastly superior firepower and armor. The first time, it was being hit by what was essentially a Borg ship (I'm aware the Narada was originally a Romulan mining ship, but it was so heavily augmented that it was more Borg than Romulan by that point). The second time, it was being hit when it couldn't fight back by an opponent that knew its every weakness.

Cut the poor Enterprise a break, would you?
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    She's like a Timex Watch, takes a beating but keeps on ticking.
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    sgtfloydpepper#7911 sgtfloydpepper Member Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    B)

That's, "takes a licking, and keeps on ticking." ;)
    1xe027q.png
  • Options
    Even better.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    daveyny wrote: »
    B)

That's, "takes a licking, and keeps on ticking." ;)

It all depends on what the Lady prefers...

Vamers-Artistry-50-Shades-of-Minion-Whippingly-Good.jpg
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    Both times the KT Enterprise was in combat in the movies, it was up against vastly superior firepower and armor. The first time, it was being hit by what was essentially a Borg ship (I'm aware the Narada was originally a Romulan mining ship, but it was so heavily augmented that it was more Borg than Romulan by that point). The second time, it was being hit when it couldn't fight back by an opponent that knew its every weakness.

It's the Galaxy Class effect.
    Where you have a excellent ship, but it's only shown against vastly superior opponents and never has a real chance to shine.

"...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    I'm disappointed they didn't release this until nearer the expansion, I don't know if I'll get it, but I've asked for a refund on my Temporal Special Agent Pack. I have not played STO and became a life member since Beta for it to become that JJverse bollocks, I wouldn't play a game based on that stuff because I don't like it. I seem to remember many of us where worried about how the time line would work when the game started and we where assured that THIS was the prime timeline ans that JJ was an aternate reality. Well it might be only one mission at the moment, but they are bringing in the ships and that cyborg fella, whilst we are told that they don't have enough programers, money etc., they've been wasting time on that instead of improving the game that exists, the Klinks and Rommies can't be very happy, although there seems to be some Klink players who are happy to be brought with those D7/Bop Hybrids and an helmet. :/
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I would wait and see how far the infection spreads. I'm hoping it's just a marketing mission. If so, that's swell. However, if the infection festers and grows it brings up some real oddities. All of the characters look very different than their real universe counterparts. To be fair there is some precedent for this with Shinzon and academy age picard. What I would hate to see is all the TOS characters retconned out of existence to be replaced with these models. Then its time to leave.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    edited June 2016
    yreodred wrote: »

Where you have a excellent ship, but it's only shown against vastly superior opponents and never has a real chance to shine.

Also known as the Worf Effect.
    Og12TbC.jpg

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    What I would hate to see is all the TOS characters retconned out of existence to be replaced with these models.

Totally agree. Not sure if I'd quit the game over it, but I'd certainly consider it.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • Options
    jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    Well on my end of it I got my refund, as a lifer I won't be going anywhere yet, but I will keep my eye on the JJ infection.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    What I would hate to see is all the TOS characters retconned out of existence to be replaced with these models. Then its time to leave.

I sincerely doubt that will happen. They're already made two distinct Chekov models and two Scotty model all representing proper TOS and TMP era appearances, specifically for this expansion. Most likely scenario, any KT iterations of these characters will remain separate and distinct, given how the information we've gotten so far presents the KT as a parallel timeline, rather than an active retcon, much like the MU.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    If it happens it would be coming from on high - maybe if the new series is in jjverse and they want to reduce confusion for watchers lost in the exploration clust- I mean confused over some old people saying they are Kirk and Uhura. Like shaaaa yur Uhura. Uhura is haawwwttttt
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    captinjacksparowcaptinjacksparow Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    Man, I'm really excited for this! I've already played all of the TOS missions on Tribble, and they were very well done -- I'm sure this will be just as good.
  • Options
    I'm just kinda sad we didn't get this woman in the game. But 0718 is still pretty cool.
    Og12TbC.jpg

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    yreodred wrote: »

Also known as the Worf Effect.
    I'm just kinda sad we didn't get this woman in the game. But 0718 is still pretty cool.
    Indeed (to both)
    :)
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    It's not the best Trek, but is certainly good Trek.

I look forward to it. :)
  • Options
    thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User

I don't think you know just how many people are on the same page as you over that!!!! Make it happen Cryptic!
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    If it happens it would be coming from on high - maybe if the new series is in jjverse and they want to reduce confusion for watchers lost in the exploration clust- I mean confused over some old people saying they are Kirk and Uhura. Like shaaaa yur Uhura. Uhura is haawwwttttt

I for one will be leaving if this plague of the JJverse appears more than just a few episodes the characters are boring the storys are lacking and in my opinion isn't Trek. We have been told the new series is in the prime universe after the Undiscovered Country so can't see them changing the game for that reason but Cryptic is not known for it's common sense
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    robeasom wrote: »

I for one will be leaving if this plague of the JJverse appears more than just a few episodes the characters are boring the storys are lacking and in my opinion isn't Trek. We have been told the new series is in the prime universe after the Undiscovered Country so can't see them changing the game for that reason but Cryptic is not known for it's common sense

Can I haz yer stuffs?
    cute-minions-Favim.com-3160349.jpg

Also, we have not been told that about Trek-2017, it is RUMORED to be in that time period.

This is what HAS been Confirmed...

1. The new Star Trek will air in 2017 as the first original series on CBS’s new VOD platform.
    2. Alex Kurtzman and Bryan Fuller will head up the new series.
    3. CBS’s series will introduce new characters.
    4. Nicholas Meyer has also joined the show as a “consulting producer/writer.”
    5. It can’t air until at least 6 months after Star Trek Beyond.

Everything else out there is still just RUMORS.

• Options

I don't think you know just how many people are on the same page as you over that!!!! Make it happen Cryptic!

Actually, it's probably for the best that we haven't gotten her. Remember what happened to poor Seven of Nine.

In case you needed a reminder:
    latest?cb=20060716024045
    260px-Seven_of_Nine.png?version=a697225bbc97902eb7bf04c3ee44ab32
    Og12TbC.jpg

I dare you to do better.