test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

mr Gecko says TOS faction content is SPECIFICALLY for them!

mrtrexy#6456 mrtrexy Member Posts: 97 Arc User
here is what mr gecko said on the podcast:
"It is a new faction it's as much as…we were coy about calling it a new faction in the press release. There were just some marketing concerns about the connotations of it, but it's at least as much of, AT LEAST as much of a new faction as Romulans was a new faction. So I mean it is…it's just technically still Federation right? It's just Federation from 2270 instead of Federation from 2409, so it's a new faction, it's a new starting experience, it’s its own arc and its own content. Specifically for them."

So the good news is that the tos faction will have AT LEAST as much content as the Romulans and it is SPECIFICALLY for them, not others!
Post edited by mrtrexy#6456 on

Comments

• Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Shaboof is a slang term from 2077 that means ... oh wait ... wrong thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    I read someone that one of the cryptic devs said that the tos faction will be "at least as much a faction as Romulans". can anyone explain what this means?

Thats been the 50billion dollar question since Gecko uttered it.... Most seem to think that would require a bit more than the 6 missions on tribble atm, hence the rage and forum fires
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    I took it to mean around 20 faction exclusive missions, faction exclusive leveling and max-level ships, faction exclusive boffs (with exclusive traits) and faction "exclusive" gameplay (singularity cores and superior cloaks for Romulans).

At the moment the TOS faction looks to be getting just 6 exclusive missions and boffs with an exclusive appearance. Everything else seems to be usable by the 25th century Fed toons.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    They've come out and said there are more than six TOS missions
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    sfdstuff#3558 sfdstuff Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    "They've come out and said there are more than six TOS missions "

/\/\/\ It's that kind of statement that leads to massive confusion.

What they HAVE said:

There will be more than 6 missions in the expansion.

What they have NOT said:

There will be more than 6 TOS faction EXCLUSIVE missions.

Those are 2 completely different things. Now, Gecko man told us that the TOS faction will be AT LEAST as much of a faction as the Romulans. So if Gecko man was telling the truth, that means the TOS faction will have AT LEAST as many faction EXCLUSIVE mission as the Romulans. But I highly doubt that is going to happen.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    khan5000 wrote: »
    They've come out and said there are more than six TOS missions

as sfdstuff points out... that is NOT what they've said. What they said was the expansion has more than 6 missions... No one(or at least not many) were dumb enough to think a whole expansion would be 6 missions. But they have dodged answering the number of TOS exclusive missions repeatedly.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    It means if there's only 6 exclusive TOS missions, I'm going to have a new signature in the same style as all those "Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it" signatures that everyone used to have >:)
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    It would mean as many ships and as many missions as are available to Romulan/Reman faction before they pick the Fed/KDF allegiance. I have my doubts about this statement based on what is available on tribble at the moment. I could be wrong though and maybe they have a lot more content that is yet to be released on tribble.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    it means someone made the mistake of letting someone talk without script and threat of less pay if they deviate.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    It means if there's only 6 exclusive TOS missions, I'm going to have a new signature in the same style as all those "Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it" signatures that everyone used to have >:)

"The TOS faction is at least as much of a faction as Romulans" has a nice ring to it.

I do expect that we will get at least one more TOS Exclusive mission since there needs to be a "Welcome to the 25th Century" mission. Also, we might get the same amount of missions as the Romulans, but the majority will be Cross-faction missions. So 30 missions in total, but at least 15 will be Cross-faction.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    nikephorus wrote: »
    It would mean as many ships and as many missions as are available to Romulan/Reman faction before they pick the Fed/KDF allegiance.

Which, incidentally, is...six (6). o:)
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    I do expect that we will get at least one more TOS Exclusive mission since there needs to be a "Welcome to the 25th Century" mission.
    that's already dealt with at the end of The Battle of Caleb IV
    ​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    No one can explain what it means, because the devs are being coy, and anytime anyone else says anything about it, there are at least three people disagreeing (with varying levels of courtesy).​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I read someone that one of the cryptic devs said that the tos faction will be "at least as much a faction as Romulans". can anyone explain what this means?

It means that after the hype of their initial launch, they'll eventually be as ignored and neglected as every other faction other then the main Fed Faction.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Hm I don’t know if it is fair to split hairs over it.

I doubt that the faction specific contend for TOS (let it be missions or ships) is going to be as substantial as the Romulan one back at the day.

One should consider though that LoR also was romulan ONLY expansion to STO. The rest of the previously available factions had to settle with just another reputation system (Nukara). That reput was also one where the new released PvE where recycled from the Nukara ground battle zone, a zone which was also already available. In short you either played as Romulan or the LoR expansion gave nothing to you.

This time around the new release is much better balanced to satisfy everybody meaning if you don’t want to pull a TOS faction char over it you still get a lot of new stuff to do.

In short the comment is supposed to mean: "biggest release ever done including tos but not exclusively tos"

For me it’s a good compromise simply because it’s fair to everybody.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User

it is its own faction until level 10, after that its the same as before but you are instead considered a "temporal agent".
    compared to the rr which had a long storyline and dedicated ship classes and so on and that was officially a sub-faction. go figure.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited June 2016

It means that after the hype of their initial launch, they'll eventually be as ignored and neglected as every other faction other then the main Fed Faction.

if not more so, because once players figure out what little substance there is to this "fraction" most players will end up either deleting their characters or putting them in stasis indefinitely.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    patrickngo wrote: »
    I'm going to put my foot in my mouth here and say- It's going to be TRIBBLE awesome for Federation fans. not just awesome, but TRIBBLE awesome.

Considering I've heard it does not have custom Aliens, it can't possibly be even adequate, much less awesome.

And the only faction-related thing that would be asterixing awesome, would be if they merged them all into one.
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »
    And the only faction-related thing that would be asterixing awesome, would be if they merged them all into one.
    But that's exactly what a lot of the people in here are complaining about. They want their faction exclusives, and lots of them, the more the merrier. There are KDF players in this very discussion who seem actively angry that the Temporal T6 ships are cross-faction, even though STO canon says that by the time those ships will be produced, all the factions will be one, as part of the Grand Alliance. (Remember the Federation ambassador at New Khitomer? Decked out in all his Klingon finery?)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User

if not more so, because once players figure out what little substance there is to this "fraction" most players will end up either deleting their characters or putting them in stasis indefinitely.

Pretty much this. My guess is most will make one for playing the 'exclusive' missions and then call it a day.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited June 2016

Yep, this is exactly what I'm thinking as well.

I honestly don't see how they can justify adding a new 'faction' to the game when 2/3 of the current factions already receive less then adequate attention from the Devs.

I hope it works out, I really do. I want the game to thrive and be successful, but I have serious doubts about adding another faction.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    I don't see how adding another Semi-Faction will be detrimental to the game.

To me it just means there will be more New Stuff to do.

If one chooses to limit oneself by only playing 'part' of the game, because one only wants to be a Klingon or Romulan Character, then don't blame the makers of the game, that choice is on you.

That's like buying a box of Neapolitan Ice Cream then only eating one flavor and throwing the rest away...

It's perfectly fine to do, but it seems like a waste of time, effort and money to me.
    <shrug>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    Hm I don’t know if it is fair to split hairs over it.

I doubt that the faction specific contend for TOS (let it be missions or ships) is going to be as substantial as the Romulan one back at the day.

One should consider though that LoR also was romulan ONLY expansion to STO. The rest of the previously available factions had to settle with just another reputation system (Nukara). That reput was also one where the new released PvE where recycled from the Nukara ground battle zone, a zone which was also already available. In short you either played as Romulan or the LoR expansion gave nothing to you.

This time around the new release is much better balanced to satisfy everybody meaning if you don’t want to pull a TOS faction char over it you still get a lot of new stuff to do.

In short the comment is supposed to mean: "biggest release ever done including tos but not exclusively tos"

For me it’s a good compromise simply because it’s fair to everybody.

If I remember correctly, wasn't the Klingon's given some love and some missions to go 1-20 with the launch of LoR or was that a different update?

• Options
    memnoch#6978 memnoch Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    ^
  • Options
    sfdstuff#3558 sfdstuff Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    This is what I don't get about the whole thing: it's obvious Gecko "misspoke". It's obvious the TOS faction will NOT be "at least as much of a faction as Romulans". They WON'T have exclusive uniforms like the Romulans. They WON'T have exclusive ships like the Romulans. They WON'T have lots of exclusive missions like the Romulans.

So what I don't get is why Gecko won't just say "look, I didn't mean to give anyone the wrong impression. The TOS faction isn't going to be a full fledged faction and it won't have as much content as the Romulans. But it's still going to be a lot of fun and we think people are going to enjoy it". If he would actually say something like that I think most people would be cool with it. Instead he refuses to address his comment and it leads to all these misunderstandings and forum fires.
  • Options
    You know what all this is reminding me of?

There's a Jay-Z and Kanye West track called (well, not called this, asterisks are hard to pronounce, but censored to) "N***as In Paris". At one point, West sings the line, "Got n***as in Paris/And they're goin' gorilla--"

At which point the music screeches to a halt, and Jay-Z interjects, "What? I don't even know what that means!"

West replies, "Nobody knows what that means, but it's controversial!"

"No, it's not!"

"Gets the people goin'!"​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    nightken wrote: »
    it means someone made the mistake of letting someone talk without script and threat of less pay if they deviate.

This.

Why oh why do that let that man anywhere near a microphone, is beyond me.

Honestly, he has done more to harm the game and community than everyone else combined...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    jonsills wrote: »
    warpangel wrote: »
    But that's exactly what a lot of the people in here are complaining about. They want their faction exclusives, and lots of them, the more the merrier. There are KDF players in this very discussion who seem actively angry that the Temporal T6 ships are cross-faction, even though STO canon says that by the time those ships will be produced, all the factions will be one, as part of the Grand Alliance. (Remember the Federation ambassador at New Khitomer? Decked out in all his Klingon finery?)
    Someone always complains. I'm just hoping they'll merge the factions in the game's timeline, too. Because that's the only way we'll ever get faction equality.