test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

mr Gecko says TOS faction content is SPECIFICALLY for them!

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    warpangel wrote: »
    And the only faction-related thing that would be asterixing awesome, would be if they merged them all into one.
    But that's exactly what a lot of the people in here are complaining about. They want their faction exclusives, and lots of them, the more the merrier. There are KDF players in this very discussion who seem actively angry that the Temporal T6 ships are cross-faction, even though STO canon says that by the time those ships will be produced, all the factions will be one, as part of the Grand Alliance. (Remember the Federation ambassador at New Khitomer? Decked out in all his Klingon finery?)
    Yeah, in the future Klingons get a proper education and grow brains. :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    warpangel wrote: »
    And the only faction-related thing that would be asterixing awesome, would be if they merged them all into one.
    But that's exactly what a lot of the people in here are complaining about. They want their faction exclusives, and lots of them, the more the merrier. There are KDF players in this very discussion who seem actively angry that the Temporal T6 ships are cross-faction, even though STO canon says that by the time those ships will be produced, all the factions will be one, as part of the Grand Alliance. (Remember the Federation ambassador at New Khitomer? Decked out in all his Klingon finery?)
    Yeah, in the future Klingons get a proper education and grow brains. :)

They've Investigated the Rumors of Klingon Intelligence and found them to be true? o:)
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    daveyny wrote: »
    I don't see how adding another Semi-Faction will be detrimental to the game.

To me it just means there will be more New Stuff to do.

If one chooses to limit oneself by only playing 'part' of the game, because one only wants to be a Klingon or Romulan Character, then don't blame the makers of the game, that choice is on you.

I am all for making another character from a new faction even if it was a half faction like the romulans but the way I see it the romulans still had enough individuality to make them stand apart from the others even after they had joined with their chosen side and finished playing their unique missions.
    but no ToS only ships especially the free ones you get for levelling, no ToS only bases like the romulan flotilla or new rom command and no ToS only uniform choices.
    after they have completed their ToS episodes regardless of how many there are you will be hard pushed to tell a ToS character from a regular fed character even when it is a character you yourself created.
    the whole reason I chose to call them a fRaction rather then a faction"

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Since I'm the only one who will be playing with my Captain TOS toon, it doesn't really matter to me if anybody else realizes it is a Classic Trek Character or not.
    I will always know.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    pelosi-obamacare.png
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    I read someone that one of the cryptic devs said that the tos faction will be "at least as much a faction as Romulans". can anyone explain what this means?

It means that after the hype of their initial launch, they'll eventually be as ignored and neglected as every other faction other then the main Fed Faction.

Hence my signature. :frowning: They can't even keep the factions we do have healthy.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    goodscotch wrote: »
    pelosi-obamacare.png

... and sometimes even then, one is not so sure what has fallen into the loo.

<chuckle>
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    goodscotch wrote: »
    pelosi-obamacare.png

... and sometimes even then, one is not so sure what has fallen into the loo.

<chuckle>

all I can say is I've passed a few floaters in my time but was never tempted to strap one on my back and use it to fly.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    dying in the street or going to the emergency room is the new prime directive?

My God man, drilling holes in his head is not the answer! The artery must be repaired! Now, put away your butcher's knives and let me save this patient
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    This is what I don't get about the whole thing: it's obvious Gecko "misspoke". It's obvious the TOS faction will NOT be "at least as much of a faction as Romulans". They WON'T have exclusive uniforms like the Romulans. They WON'T have exclusive ships like the Romulans. They WON'T have lots of exclusive missions like the Romulans.

So what I don't get is why Gecko won't just say "look, I didn't mean to give anyone the wrong impression. The TOS faction isn't going to be a full fledged faction and it won't have as much content as the Romulans. But it's still going to be a lot of fun and we think people are going to enjoy it". If he would actually say something like that I think most people would be cool with it. Instead he refuses to address his comment and it leads to all these misunderstandings and forum fires.

because that is something a professional corporate leader would do....
  • Options
    This is what I don't get about the whole thing: it's obvious Gecko "misspoke". It's obvious the TOS faction will NOT be "at least as much of a faction as Romulans". They WON'T have exclusive uniforms like the Romulans. They WON'T have exclusive ships like the Romulans. They WON'T have lots of exclusive missions like the Romulans.

So what I don't get is why Gecko won't just say "look, I didn't mean to give anyone the wrong impression. The TOS faction isn't going to be a full fledged faction and it won't have as much content as the Romulans. But it's still going to be a lot of fun and we think people are going to enjoy it". If he would actually say something like that I think most people would be cool with it. Instead he refuses to address his comment and it leads to all these misunderstandings and forum fires.

because that is something a professional corporate leader would do....
  • Options
    mrtrexy#6456 mrtrexy Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    i updated the start post with the full quote from mr gecko!
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User

And then you made a huge assumption that isn't actually supported by the quote. Nowhere does he say that these 23rd century Feds will have as much content as the Romulans, for whatever value you give content, he says that it's at least as much of a faction as Romulans are. What makes something a faction to a developer might very well be different than what makes something a faction to a player.

Things that we've seen for player definitions in this thread include unrealistic things like Bridge Officers with unique traits, as in not available to any existing faction. That alone is unreasonable given that the species available are just a subset of species already available to 25th century Feds.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    fatherrockfatherrock Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    I was excited at first but am slowly becoming less excited as more information leaks out.
    This was sort of like being told you would get a new suit...later you find out it is a straight jacket.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    anodynes wrote: »

And then you made a huge assumption that isn't actually supported by the quote. Nowhere does he say that these 23rd century Feds will have as much content as the Romulans, for whatever value you give content, he says that it's at least as much of a faction as Romulans are. What makes something a faction to a developer might very well be different than what makes something a faction to a player.

Things that we've seen for player definitions in this thread include unrealistic things like Bridge Officers with unique traits, as in not available to any existing faction. That alone is unreasonable given that the species available are just a subset of species already available to 25th century Feds.

A fair definition for a faction, IMHO, would be a unique leveling experience up to the Romulan FE series (which would then lead into the DS9 arc), and an exclusive player HUB. That's how I see things anyway, and by all indications we are only getting six exclusive TOS faction missions (unique leveling experience only to level 10), and although an exclusive HUB IS there, it becomes inaccessible after level 10.

Unfortunately, I think Gecko's comment referred to the things we just take for granted: unique animations and a tutorial. It's been said tutorial's take the most time and cost the most money, and I'm sure creating TOS appropriate animations for everything takes time as well, so I can see why from a developer's perspective it might be easy to label it a full fledged faction when most would consider it not to be, but that doesn't change the fact that the comment was ill-advised and most likely highly misleading.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    anodynes wrote: »

Yeah, and as has been pointed out elsewhere, a unique tutorial and UI is a large part of that from the game coding perspective. And they ARE a faction from that POV.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    fatherrock wrote: »
    I was excited at first but am slowly becoming less excited as more information leaks out.
    This was sort of like being told you would get a new suit...later you find out it is a straight jacket.

I'd rather have the straight jacket.
    >:)
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    @daveyny

I agree.

I'd rather you have the straight jacket, too.

*rimshot*
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    I don't mind doing a whole new character or faction in this case. As long we have a good story to kick start it to make it worth while.

Even the Delta Recruit, I saw it was good to create a new character. Where this one wasn't even a faction.

Only thing really stopping me is the story and ship. Which both we had not much info on. Story part is this a whole new person, or can it be a distant relative to one of my currents. Ship, well not much is released on them. So I'm not sure of the career yet.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    sfdstuff#3558 sfdstuff Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    > @markhawkman said: Yeah, and as has been pointed out elsewhere, a unique tutorial and UI is a large part of that from the game coding perspective. And they ARE a faction from that POV.

-------

But he didn't just say "yeah, they will be their own faction". He went so far as to say they will be AT LEAST AS MUCH as the Romulans. Do you know what AT LEAST means? It means EVERYTHING the Romulans have, NOTHING LESS. That is what HE said. The Romulans have FAR MORE than just their own tutorial and UI. That is not an opinion it is a fact.
  • Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    Taking him at his word sounds encouraging. If they end up tacking an inclusive mission at the end of each existing arc I'm just going to file the whole thing under forget.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    I think you are mistaking one way to interpret an offhand comment as fact.

For example: you, @sfdstuff#3558 , said you interpret Geko's comments to mean that the TOS characters should have "EVERYTHING the Romulans have, NOTHING LESS." So, the TOS characters should have the Romulan Tutorial, Romulan Ships, Tovan Khev? No? Not what you meant? I suppose not, but it is one way to interpret what you said, and that's a fact.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User

Thanks for taking my transcript from the other post on this topic and completely disregarding everything else I said about it so that you could further fuel this needless fire.

As I basically said over there:

The Developers are under absolutely no obligation to do these fan created podcasts. They could just rely on the blog posts to disseminate the information, but they like interacting with the fans and like sharing the work that they're doing with us.

These interviews are designed more as an informal way of getting information out there - as opposed to the blogs and forum posts, which are designed more for formal declarations of incoming content. I'm glad they don't have "scripted" talking points that they're required to stick to.

It would be horrible if they decided that these sorts of interviews, and interacting with the fans wasn't enjoyable anymore, and that they were more trouble than they were worth, because every little word is going to get picked apart to death.

TL;DR: Stop expecting information from these informal interviews. That's what the blog and forum posts are for.
  • Options
    mspechty#5307 mspechty Member Posts: 3 New User
    Life is not "black" or "white". Reality is not one "extreme" or the other. As far as this specific issue goes, the truth is somewhere in the middle. On the one hand, it is true that we should be reasonable enough as a community not to take every single word a dev says literally, or hold them to every single off the cuff comment they make. On the other hand, devs should not be given a complete pass either. Semantic debates aside, Mr. Geko definitely made it "sound" like the new faction would have equal content to the Romulan faction. If it turns out that that is not the case, he should be called out. Not lynched. Not insulted. But he should be reasonably called out for making misleading statements, even if they were not intentional. And he should be mature enough to learn from the situation and improve future comments, not react in a childish way with giving people the "silent treatment" or cutting off communication. Again, life is not about "extremes". Geko isn't some horrible liar, but he should also work on his communication. People shouldn't insult him, but they shouldn't give him a free pass either.
  • Options
    bergins wrote: »
    @daveyny

I agree.

I'd rather you have the straight jacket, too.

*rimshot*

ecf5e8bf5408d7747761aba5101565e1.jpg

• Options
    scrag0416scrag0416 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    I had hoped there would be something for everyone...unfortunately that is not happening. Yes I understand that 3 or 4 ships (I believe) are playable for all factions....but for the money you get uniforms I largely already have...ships that my fed toons have (though yes there are others that I don't have) and some more missions...and a pledge pin for 129.00 dollars? Maybe I missed something here....and truthfully I am worn out on Time Travel arcs....(which in itself is redundant and not well thought out - you would think someone in the Temporal Affairs department would figure out how far back to go and prevent themselves....)
  • Options
    What surprises me, is that he stated he was aware of player's concerns and then does the same smokescreen statement again. Saying that AoY has more than 6 missions... no dung mr man... we've been asking about TOS specific ones not the whole expansion... It would be so mind numbingly simple to end this forum fire with finality.

ATM I suspect they aren't/won't because saying "Yeah it's only 6 missions." Would kill their precious metrics at launch.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

If one chooses to limit oneself by only playing 'part' of the game, because one only wants to be a Klingon or Romulan Character, then don't blame the makers of the game, that choice is on you.

That's like buying a box of Neapolitan Ice Cream then only eating one flavor and throwing the rest away...

It's perfectly fine to do, but it seems like a waste of time, effort and money to me.
    <shrug>

Allow me to elaborate a little then, because I think my point was misunderstood.

The issue is not with adding new content to the game or with adding options. Those are both things that I will always be a strong advocate in favor of. The issue is that there are already existing factions in the game that need time and effort from the development team and now that attention is being focused instead on making another 'half hearted' faction that will only end up suffering from the same lack of overall content as the existing factions.

To use your Neapolitan Ice Cream example, it would be like if you bought Neapolitan and found it was 60% Vanilla and only 20% Strawberry and 20% Chocolate. Then instead of adding more Chocolate and Stawberry to the next batch, they took 10% more from each.. in order to add more Vanilla.

The Fed Faction is already in good shape, they have tons of ships, better designed starting areas, the story content is all 'Fed Centric' regardless of what faction you're playing. And now they're adding.. another Fed Faction. I'm speaking as a Fed player myself when I say, I would rather have seen them spend the time and effort making the KDF and Romulan Factions more unique and addressing issues with their story lines and lack of content.

Overall, yes.. it's new content, and I'll likely make a TOS Faction character and play them through the new content. I have no issue with them adding content, I simply believe that different content would have been more beneficial to the game overall.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User

That's like buying a box of Neapolitan Ice Cream then only eating one flavor and throwing the rest away...

It's perfectly fine to do, but it seems like a waste of time, effort and money to me.
    <shrug>

Overall, yes.. it's new content, and I'll likely make a TOS Faction character and play them through the new content. I have no issue with them adding content, I simply believe that different content would have been more beneficial to the game overall.

What kind of character do you intend to make? Just asking cuz after 9 toons I have a bit of a hard time to reinvent myself for a 10th time. Atm I feel like making an Andorian sci or tac but any form of inspiration would be most welcome. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated