test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Event love for Alts

A few years back you implemented a much loved mechanic to unlock winter/summer/anniversary ships on all alts where at least one character on an account had completed the necessary grind. This was fantastic.

You also implemented reputation sponsorship to allow a character on an account to 'buy' faster completion for alts on the account. This was also fantastic.

Please, please do something fantastic for the current Breach event and others of its ilk (Crystalline Catastrophe, Mirror Incursion etc). I realise these events reward a huge chunk of Dil/Marks so I am not suggesting an account wide unlock straight away for the same reward. Any of the following possibilities spring to mind...

1) Once a toon has completed the event rep mission all other toons on the account can unlock the special reward (not the marks or dil - in the current breach event this would be the Admiralty card) either for free or for a nominal fee (like 1 token from a run of the event or 10,000 dil)

2) Once a toon has completed the event rep mission it unlocks another rep mission which accepts a nominal fee (perhaps 250k EC). This rewards a Bound to Account 'sponsorship' token. When used on an alt it would unpack into 7 of the event tokens (thus halving the effort required to complete on the alt).

Please make something like this happen.
This event is too much grind for alts. It takes 20mins per run and for my 12 toons 14 runs each will likely cause me to go insane or worse...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...

Comments

• Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    Would be really neat if those goodies (not the dil, marks, etc.) would get the same treatment as the event ships.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    as I have said before but players are too blinded by the shiny to see, unlocking the queued event reward will not happen as the reward is awarded as a package, this would mean all of your alts would be awarded not only the shiny but also the dilithium and marks.
    as some players have 40+ characters on their account this would mean they would be awarded 2million or more dilithium plus 20k+ fleet marks and 10k+ marks of their choice.

also as this would be an account unlock any future characters created on an account would also be eligible to claim the reward in full.

there is no way cryptic if going to faff about trying to work out a way to split the shiny from the rest of the reward just to save players the effort of playing the event with alts when the primary reason to these events is to get players to do it with as many characters as they can in the first place.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    as I have said before but players are too blinded by the shiny to see, unlocking the queued event reward will not happen as the reward is awarded as a package, this would mean all of your alts would be awarded not only the shiny but also the dilithium and marks.
    as some players have 40+ characters on their account this would mean they would be awarded 2million or more dilithium plus 20k+ fleet marks and 10k+ marks of their choice.

also as this would be an account unlock any future characters created on an account would also be eligible to claim the reward in full.

there is no way cryptic if going to faff about trying to work out a way to split the shiny from the rest of the reward just to save players the effort of playing the event with alts when the primary reason to these events is to get players to do it with as many characters as they can in the first place.

wat?! no. Lemme remind you how event ships work. You unlock it on 1 toon, the rest can reclaim it from the event store. End of story. No dil, no mark, no nothing.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    I agree totally. If the event ship reward mechanic is sound for cryptic so should be this one. A change like this would make me look forward to such events instead of thinking “oh no, what now?” when reading their announcement.

Either way I step down here and intend to do this one with 3 chars at most instead of 9 as last mirror.

It makes me turn my back on game.

Cryptic should really think over what contend they want us to play multiple times in a row and if doing this is a good publicity for their game as such.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The alt discounts ruined the summer/winter events.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    They haven't listened to us the past couple of years, they won't listen this time unless you can convince them that it'll take away over 50% of their profits if they don't do it. Sadly, it won't. :rage:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    I think the number of participants in the current event queue speak for themselves. I could imagine that at some point we will see more peeps playing ISA & CCA instead. :/
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    bernatk wrote: »

wat?! no. Lemme remind you how event ships work. You unlock it on 1 toon, the rest can reclaim it from the event store. End of story. No dil, no mark, no nothing.

yes, the seasonal event is only for the ship so theres no problem unlocking it for the account as all your other characters will get is the ship, with the queued events its not just the shiny its the dilithium and marks also and as its all in a package like I said unlocking it account wide would also award all the dilithium and marks as well.

but like I said your all so blinded by the shiny you cant see the obvious.

• Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Yeah, the Reward Box is an "item" that is coded to "hold" other "items." Each of those items are simply strings of code, and could easily be attached to a unique secondary project.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    bergins wrote: »
    Yeah, the Reward Box is an "item" that is coded to "hold" other "items." Each of those items are simply strings of code, and could easily be attached to a unique secondary project.

and like I also said before "there is no way cryptic if going to faff about trying to work out a way to split the shiny from the rest of the reward just to save players the effort of playing the event with alts when the primary reason to these events is to get players to do it with as many characters as they can in the first place."

look at it like this 1000 players playing the event with one character is 1000 plays for their metrics but 1000 players playing the event with an average of 6 characters is 6000 plays for their metrics.

• Options
    I think the hope in this thread is that you are wrong.

You are wrong in your suggesting that it would be some sort of monumental task for them to accomplish. Instead of writing a project that rewards the line of code representing a "box" they copy-paste that same project and have it reward the line of code representing something that was "inside" that "box." The rest of the mechanics are already there.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    I think the hope in this thread is that you are wrong.

You are wrong in your suggesting that it would be some sort of monumental task for them to accomplish. Instead of writing a project that rewards the line of code representing a "box" they copy-paste that same project and have it reward the line of code representing something that was "inside" that "box." The rest of the mechanics are already there.

look at it like this the first year I played sto players were screaming they wanted the seasonal ship events made more alt friendly and see what happened.
    the first year I played sto players were screaming they wanted the queued event reward shiny made more alt friendly and see what happened.
    now its five years later and we have the same threads about the shiny with every queued event they have had.

draw your own conclusions from that.

• Options
    Ok, here's the conclusions I'm drawing:

Players have been screaming since the beginning about Seasonal Event Ships and Alt Friendliness, and it has finally happened.

Players have been screaming since the beginning about Queued Event Rewards and Alt Friendliness, and it finally might happen.

It's a QOL improvement, something I hear the EP is big on...
  • Options

Players have been screaming since the beginning about Seasonal Event Ships and Alt Friendliness, and it has finally happened.

Players have been screaming since the beginning about Queued Event Rewards and Alt Friendliness, and it finally might happen.

On the other hand, look at what came along with that alt-friendliness...

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2016

bear in mind that event ships were made alt friendly where you could get the ship with one character and for 40 tokens on alts years ago before they were ever made account unlocks and maybe you can see the error in your conclusion.
    don't you think if the devs had any intension of making the queued event alt friendly they just might have done the same thing at the same time with these events given that there was exactly the same outcry for this to happen at virtually the same time.

• Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    How about splitting the reward? One box contains the Dil and Marks. The other box has the "Shiny". Both boxes are bound to character when acquired. When the "Shiny" box is opened, the "Shiny" is unlocked account wide so that alts can claim it from the Dil Store. The "Shiny" should be also coded to be limited to one per toon. If the toon already the "Shiny", then a message will appear stating that fact, at which point the only option would be to simply delete the "Shiny" box so that it does not take up inventory space.

This method should allow players with multiple alts to play the event once to unlock the "Shiny" for all toons. If the players decide to do the event on their alts for the Dil and Marks reward, then they can do so. They will get both boxes, but if the alt already claimed the "Shiny" from the Dil Store, then the "Shiny" box cannot be opened so the player can discard it. But because the alt completed the event, that alt is entitled to open the Dil and Mark box.

If someone already posted this method, then just ignore. I started to type this post at 9:30am EST, but I got pulled into a meeting and had to work on a priority project. I did not have time to finish this post until I was done with the project.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    There is a simple solution that caters to everyone.

When a character completes the 14 turn in project they unlock the event reward only. In this case, they would unlock the Admiralty Card as an account unlock.

The character that ran the 14 item project would also get the Dilithum and marks.

Alts on the account could claim the main event reward just like they do with Summer/Winter events, but alts would not recieve the Dilithium and Marks. They would claim a box from the Event store that would award the card. Characters would only be allowed 1 card at a time just like event ships, so you can't claim a thousand cards per character. :)

That way, you might not get the Dilithium and Marks for everyone, but at least you can get all your characters the admiralty card without having to run all your characters through 14 runs each.

This to me seems like a simple and fair compromise.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User

bear in mind that event ships were made alt friendly where you could get the ship with one character and for 40 tokens on alts years ago before they were ever made account unlocks and maybe you can see the error in your conclusion.
    don't you think if the devs had any intension of making the queued event alt friendly they just might have done the same thing at the same time with these events given that there was exactly the same outcry for this to happen at virtually the same time.

Not necessarily. Cryptic makes changes over time, sometimes in response to feedback like we are giving now.

You also keep saying it's some huge amount of work to create a second loot package, which is silly. They regularly create 4-5 loot boxes for new Featured Episodes and they have already created separate item-only per-character reclaim boxes for some CCA shinies like the shotgun. All they have to do for the shotgun, for example, is change the reclaim from per-character to per-account, the item-only box you think requires incredible effort already exists.
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    I usually disagree when the word is thrown around here on the Forums, but this reeks of entitlement.

Just because they made this change to the event ships, doesn't make it reasonable to expect the same thing to happen everywhere and to all events. If you don't want to do it on all your characters, pick some of them who need the reward the most.

The fact that they made ships account wide is probably because ships are such an important part of the game. An Admiralty card or one specific weapon is not. I doubt many players create a character specifically to use a Zefram shotgun, but I have no problem to believe that some players might create new characters to fly, for example, a Ferengi ship on a Ferengi character. In these cases, it is thus reasonable that those ships are account wide unlocks.

I think the better solution would be to rerun some events and their previous rewards. Then you'd still have to do the entire event on each character you want the reward on, but at least we'd get a second chance if, for whatever reason, you can't get it on all your characters now.
    I agree that having to do it now on all your characters because the rewards will disappear entirely from the game may be too much; having the rewards available through a store or through later events would solve that problem, without making everything easier to obtain.
  • Options
    "Entitlement" seems a bit strong when it will take 5-6 hours per character to get the admiralty card, vs. under half an hour for the Pastak card from 1 run of Time and Tide.

People are asking for an account unlock OR a 1-run unlock that only gets you the card. I have enough cards that I might not even bother to complete 14 runs on a single character but others are less card-wealthy.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I'm a bit confused about the Reward being a 'Total Package'. It seems pretty clear that except for the 'Shiney' everything else is the same regardless of the Special Event. That is changed per Event.

So instead of said direct Shiney, the Shiney is a Box that when opened unlocks that direct Shiney for the Account.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    ltminns wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused about the Reward being a 'Total Package'. It seems pretty clear that except for the 'Shiney' everything else is the same regardless of the Special Event. That is changed per Event.

So instead of said direct Shiney, the Shiney is a Box that when opened unlocks that direct Shiney for the Account.

Yes, making the shiny an account unlock is not rocket surgery. It's just using the "C-Store" unlock vs. the "Lobi / lockbox unlock" setting for the shiny box.

If they want to increase the metrics (or fight "entitlement"), they could instead do the 1-extra-run-per-character like they originally did for the Breen carrier. They already know how to do this so also not brain science.

• Options
    pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    why don't you just ask for a bunch of free stuff.

Would you really like it if my 60 alts, his 60 alts, her 60 alts, their 60 alts each got an infusion of dilithium on the same day? can you imagine what that would do to the price of dil-zen. I assume you enjoy getting things for 'free', since that is what you are essentially asking for. Dil would easily be 350-400 per zen, keys would be 6 million. It would spiral from there, 500k per superior upgrade, everything would be more expensive which in the long run would cost a lot of people more grinding.

Think about it.

• Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    pulserazor wrote: »

Would you really like it if my 60 alts, his 60 alts, her 60 alts, their 60 alts each got an infusion of dilithium on the same day? can you imagine what that would do to the price of dil-zen. I assume you enjoy getting things for 'free', since that is what you are essentially asking for. Dil would easily be 350-400 per zen, keys would be 6 million. It would spiral from there, 500k per superior upgrade, everything would be more expensive which in the long run would cost a lot of people more grinding.

Think about it.

LOL, you obviously didn't read this thread and it's not even on multiple pages yet :D
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    No one said anything about awarding Dilithium, Marks, and such as an Account unlock, only the 'Shiney'.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options

Think about it.

LOL, you obviously didn't read this thread and it's not even on multiple pages yet :D

This, because of this:
    ltminns wrote: »
    No one said anything about awarding Dilithium, Marks, and such as an Account unlock, only the 'Shiney'.

• Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    I should also point out that it is not actually the project itself that unlocks the Event ships on all characters, but the action of opening/claiming the ship from the box.

At least that's what I assume, as the first time I do it with some of the really old ships on my alts a popup exclaims that I have unlocked the ship on all my characters.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    Which is why my suggestion of awarding a Box with the Shiney with an Account Unlock would work perfectly.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    iceeaglexiceeaglex Member Posts: 375 Arc User

Think about it.

Think about it.
    You just made my day there buddy.

How about reading the thread before replying? Maybe?
    Maybe think about it?
    Think about reading the thread?
    I'll give you some time to think about it.