What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Event love for Alts

Comments

• Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    at the end of the day it doesn't really effect me one way or another as I have very little interest in the shiny and dont care one way or another if my alts can get it without doing the event, i only run the event on my characters for the dilithium but I really hope you get what you are after and they make the shiny an account unlock.
    TBH though I think if they had wanted to do this they would have done so at the same time they did it with the event ships and for that reason I would say I cant see it ever happening so don't go holding your breath in expectation.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    While I don't mind the CC event since it's not alt unfriendly. I'd gladly pay a 50K dil tax (the reward for one toon) just to get the admirality card on my alts.

Daily lasts 5 minutes = Awesome event
    10 minutes = Lets get to work
    15 minutes = This is a bit sluggish
    20 minutes or more = Kill me now
  • Options
    edrogenedrogen Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    The alt discounts ruined the summer/winter events.

+1
  • Options
    comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2016
    If only we could +1 threads... Yes please... For the love of my fingers...

I don't feel like grinding stuff in 12 alts... Arggh...

Just the reward would be nice... As others have said... Dil/marks not needed but the rewards...

Please please please please please...
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edrogen wrote: »

+1

Oh do explain why having to spend hours or even entire days collecting pictures/pearls was a good thing, and why being virtually incapable of catching up on new characters was a good thing.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,343 Community Moderator
    Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with this suggestion.

But, I'm not understanding how the Alt Discount/Account Unlock ruined the Summer and Winter Events. Please explain.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    mmps1mmps1 Member Posts: 381 Arc User
    It seems to me like the cc event will probably be binned in favour of longer maps for events like this. I'll just have to get used to doing this sort of thing on only a couple of toons. Sadtimes :(
    "Mr talks down to the peasants."
  • Options

But, I'm not understanding how the Alt Discount/Account Unlock ruined the Summer and Winter Events. Please explain.

Well, the latter sort of did. Not by itself, but the accompanying push for 'exclusivity!' didn't do it any favors in my mind.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    dalolorn wrote: »

Well, the latter sort of did. Not by itself, but the accompanying push for 'exclusivity!' didn't do it any favors in my mind.

Ah! Well, "Exclusivity" is a separate issue, and not one that players asked for or wanted, while the Account Unlock itself was a welcomed change. "Exclusivity" may or may not have negatively affected the Summer and Winter Events (I don't know, I don't have the numbers), but the Account Unlock itself has helped more than hindered.

As it stands with these Event rewards (CC, MI, Breach), we have "Exclusivity" but no Account Unlock. :-/
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    neomodiousneomodious Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    pulserazor wrote: »
    why don't you just ask for a bunch of free stuff.

Would you really like it if my 60 alts, his 60 alts, her 60 alts, their 60 alts each got an infusion of dilithium on the same day? can you imagine what that would do to the price of dil-zen. I assume you enjoy getting things for 'free', since that is what you are essentially asking for. Dil would easily be 350-400 per zen, keys would be 6 million. It would spiral from there, 500k per superior upgrade, everything would be more expensive which in the long run would cost a lot of people more grinding.

Think about it.

Is this like thinking about all of the rewards that are unlocked for each character I create from the delta recruit event? I don't remember what all of the rewards are off the top of my head, but it includes a bunch of marks... So this should have destroyed the market already, right?

Besides, most people are only talking about the unique event reward, not the currency.​​
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

+1

Oh do explain why having to spend hours or even entire days collecting pictures/pearls was a good thing, and why being virtually incapable of catching up on new characters was a good thing.
    It was something to do. Something to plan for, storing some extra items for next year. It was engaging on a general gameplay level and quite frankly, fun.

After the discount, the events became "5-minute run on one toon and forget about it." Or rather, that's what the devs apparently wanted it to become. In reality, people still did it on multiple toons and stored the items. So that one-toon rule was enforced by invalidating any extra work, past, present and future. And for extra badness it was used as an excuse to remove the old ships so new players can't have them.

So now the events are no longer something you play for a month, no longer something you wait and plan for, just a quick little side-quest you do while eating breakfast or something. Having those ships on every toon doesn't feel like an achievement anymore, doesn't feel like you did something to earn them. They're almost a login bonus. It's boring.
  • Options

+1

It was something to do. Something to plan for, storing some extra items for next year. It was engaging on a general gameplay level and quite frankly, fun.

After the discount, the events became "5-minute run on one toon and forget about it." Or rather, that's what the devs apparently wanted it to become. In reality, people still did it on multiple toons and stored the items. So that one-toon rule was enforced by invalidating any extra work, past, present and future. And for extra badness it was used as an excuse to remove the old ships so new players can't have them.

So now the events are no longer something you play for a month, no longer something you wait and plan for, just a quick little side-quest you do while eating breakfast or something. Having those ships on every toon doesn't feel like an achievement anymore, doesn't feel like you did something to earn them. They're almost a login bonus. It's boring.

I used to do the same thing... And it consumed all of my time during the Event to the point that I almost did nothing else but collect Pictures/Pearls for all of my toons. Now, with the Account Unlock, I can actually enjoy other aspects of the Events: dancing, racing, snowball fights, etc.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options

+1

5-minute run? Multiply this by the amount of days, please. Forgetting is not an option. (That being said, it still didn't take me all that long, unlike some of these PvE events...)

As for 'extra badness', you'll notice that there are people on both sides of the current argument that hated what they did there, myself included.

Still something you play for a month, partly because of what baddmoonrizin said above, and partly because you still have to do it over the course of a month. :tongue:

• Options
    edited March 2016
    though I agree that the length of time it takes to play the mission in this event is quite long I will remind you that players still ask for the account unlock of the shiny on CCE and this only takes a few minutes to play through.

with the ship events I can understand players wanting them unlocked for all characters as ships are an exceptionally important aspect of the game and its not so easy to pick up free T5 & T6 ships in the game but the shinys from these events are of very little consequence in comparison and there are many many better versions of these shinys that can be picked up at any time without these items having to be unlocked through a limited time event so I just cant see the rationality for getting wound up over the fact that you haven't got them on every character.

although I have got most of the rewards on some of my characters the majority of them are not even in use in any case so why should I worry if my other characters have not got access to them, it would be totally irrational of me to be upset by this.

it is much more important for me to get the dilithium from these events and I believe if there was no dilithium reward most players would not even bother playing these events at all even for the shiny so why should they be bothered if a few of their characters cant claim them.

• Options
    though I agree that the length of time it takes to play the mission in this event is quite long I will remind you that players still ask for the account unlock of the shiny on CCE and this only takes a few minutes to play through.

I can understand that, though there is still the matter of characters created after the CCE event. Which, coincidentally, is why I've been asking for this long before we got Breach.
    with the ship events I can understand players wanting them unlocked for all characters as ships are an exceptionally important aspect of the game and its not so easy to pick up free T5 & T6 ships in the game but the shinys from these events are of very little consequence in comparison and there are many many better versions of these shinys that can be picked up at any time without these items having to be unlocked through a limited time event so I just cant see the rationality for getting wound up over the fact that you haven't got them on every character.

Actually, some of them can't be obtained in any shape or form. There is no other energy torpedo in the game, there is no other kinetic shotgun in the game, there is (AFAIK) no other Admiralty card with a special ability such as this and such good stats, there is nothing equivalent to the Crystalline Spike that I'm aware of...

Mirror Hakeev, the Crystalline Shard pet and the agony rifle may be fairly trivial items, but there are others that are not so ordinary.
    although I have got most of the rewards on some of my characters the majority of them are not even in use in any case so why should I worry if my other characters have not got access to them, it would be totally irrational of me to be upset by this.

It would be totally irrational of you to be upset by this at this moment. At one point or another, you may wish character X had one of these items, but will be unable to give it to him because either he was created after the event had passed, or you hadn't put him through the event while it was running.

• Options
    edited March 2016

I can understand that, though there is still the matter of characters created after the CCE event. Which, coincidentally, is why I've been asking for this long before we got Breach.

Actually, some of them can't be obtained in any shape or form. There is no other energy torpedo in the game, there is no other kinetic shotgun in the game, there is (AFAIK) no other Admiralty card with a special ability such as this and such good stats, there is nothing equivalent to the Crystalline Spike that I'm aware of...

Mirror Hakeev, the Crystalline Shard pet and the agony rifle may be fairly trivial items, but there are others that are not so ordinary.

It would be totally irrational of you to be upset by this at this moment. At one point or another, you may wish character X had one of these items, but will be unable to give it to him because either he was created after the event had passed, or you hadn't put him through the event while it was running.

though these items are unique in themselves there are still other items that are just as unique and can replace them, like the shotgun for example, you cannot say you cannot play a ground combat mission because you haven't got the shotgun, there are 100s of other ground weapons that work just as well and can be picked up without having to play an event.
    same with the torpedo, you cannot say you cant play space combat because you haven't got this particular torpedo, there are many torpedo's in the game that are just as good or even better.
    same yet again for the Admiralty card, you cant tell me that you have not been able to play the Admiralty system just because you haven't got this card and if you managed before without it you will still manage just as well without it.
    even with the Crystalline Shard there are many other space pets of this nature that will do exactly the same thing as the Crystalline Shard.
    even with the Crystalline Spike there are other Universal Kit Modules that are just as useful that can be used instead.

there is not one item from these events that there isn't an alternative for within the game that works just as well as they do and not one player will ever be able to say they cannot play the game for the lack of them.

with the event ships there are a whole load of players who would never have had access to T5 & T6 ships if it wasn't for the free event ships and that is the difference.
    Post edited by bobbydazlers on

• Options

it is much more important for me to get the dilithium from these events and I believe if there was no dilithium reward most players would not even bother playing these events at all even for the shiny so why should they be bothered if a few of their characters cant claim them.

The only irrational thing about it is to expect that other players should feel the same way as you about the rewards.

It may be more important to you to receive the Dilithium, but that doesn't mean that other players feel the same way. Some claim that they have more than enough Dilithium, and so don't need it. Perhaps they're more concerned with the Marks. Others do indeed care about the shiny, and would like to have them on all their characters.

It takes nothing away from anyone to offer the shinies as an Account Unlock, though. :-/
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options

The only irrational thing about it is to expect that other players should feel the same way as you about the rewards.

It may be more important to you to receive the Dilithium, but that doesn't mean that other players feel the same way. Some claim that they have more than enough Dilithium, and so don't need it. Perhaps they're more concerned with the Marks. Others do indeed care about the shiny, and would like to have them on all their characters.

It takes nothing away from anyone to offer the shinies as an Account Unlock, though. :-/

that is true however I would like to see how many players would raise a stink and how many would bother playing if next event they offered the shiny as an account unlock but with no dilithium & marks reward at all.

• Options
    edrogenedrogen Member Posts: 202 Arc User

+1

This encapsulates my +1 very well.
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User

Agreed. Why would I care about an extra 50k dill here or there when dill is so easy to get and I have 100s of 1000s waiting to be refined on most alts?

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    edited March 2016

+1

This encapsulates my +1 very well.

I agree, I used to enjoy playing for the ship on my alts and now apart from a few marks you can pick up after you have claimed the ship there is very little reason to ever use your alts at all during these events.
    most of the other seasonal event rewards are really only of any use during events anyway so what the point in having them on your alts if your only going to use them just to play for yet more event bound rewards anyway.

they need to do something with the winter and summer event that is similar to the anniversary events upgrade reward to give players a better reason to play on multiple characters.

• Options

that is true however I would like to see how many players would raise a stink and how many would bother playing if next event they offered the shiny as an account unlock but with no dilithium & marks reward at all.

Depends on what the shinies in question are. I'd probably run through it once anyway - the dilithium and marks encourage me to run on more than one character - I can get those elsewhere, but I still like the convenience of getting a lump sum like that one - but it's the shinies that compel me to run through it at all costs.

If the dilithium stayed there, and the item became an account unlock, I'd probably still run it on all my characters - but I wouldn't feel bad about not doing so for any reason.

More importantly, I wouldn't feel bad about creating more characters later on. Me not creating characters = me not buying more character slots = me not grinding up Zen for character slots. The same argument was applicable when specializations released (though to a much greater degree, now that Admiralty and stuff have lessened the difficulty of getting a full 45+ points), and it is doubly applicable to stuff like this.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who has decided for one reason or another that maintaining X characters was becoming a chore. I'm certainly not the first, and I'm probably not going to be the last.

• Options

Agreed. And I'm not saying I'd want to see the Dilithium and Marks removed. But there's no reason why the shiny couldn't be unlocked as an Account claimable item once the Event is completed, while leaving the Dilithium and Marks as rewards for the toons that actually run the Event.

Consider the Account Unlock shiny as a "thank you for participating in our event" from Cryptic.

Our last Featured Episode showed that now even episode rewards are becoming unlocked or lost forever.

And if they're going to now be rewarding Admiralty ships through Events, it could become an issue for players who are looking to fill out their Admiralty roster on their various toons.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Agreed. And I'm not saying I'd want to see the Dilithium and Marks removed. But there's no reason why the shiny couldn't be unlocked as an Account claimable item once the Event is completed, while leaving the Dilithium and Marks as rewards for the toons that actually run the Event.

Consider the Account Unlock shiny as a "thank you for participating in our event" from Cryptic.

Our last Featured Episode showed that now even episode rewards are becoming unlocked or lost forever.

And if they're going to now be rewarding Admiralty ships through Events, it could become an issue for players who are looking to fill out their Admiralty roster on their various toons.

not saying that they would do this just pointing out that in comparison the shiny on its own is not a great prize without the dilithium to back it up and therefore nothing to get in a snit about if you cant get it on all of your characters.
    at the end of the day I don't really care one way or the other, just pointing out the way I see it.
    sure it would be nice if they would do this for some players who must have everything on every character but I just cant see the devs doing this as I think they would have done it already otherwise, after all its been asked for enough times.

• Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    How about just make the Ship Card the account unlock? If you want the Dil/marks on every toon, then you got to grind them. I don't know about you but it's not easy to find 3-4hrs a day just for this event on my 7 toons.

Sadly, there is no way for uber-DPS players to nuke Breach like the CE. Actually had one run where 2 players bailed. We decided to stick it out and it took our 3 cruisers over the 40 minute timer to finish it. Wish the difficultly scaled like WoW raids when there's less players. Seems 1 player bails from Breach 1/3 of the time; making it take an extra 5 minutes to finish the darn thing. :bawling:
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Do we actually know that you don't get the admiralty card account wide? The language on this event seems very similar to the Anniversary event and I wouldn't feel certain that any character after the first is going to get all the currency instead of just unlocking the bonus daily turn-in account wide.

At least they explained what comes after this time -- pretty much all I asked for after the kerfluffle with having thousands of anniversary tokens tied up in event projects that didn't actually do anything after the first character on my account finished.
  • Options
    How about just make the Ship Card the account unlock? If you want the Dil/marks on every toon, then you got to grind them. I don't know about you but it's not easy to find 3-4hrs a day just for this event on my 7 toons.

Sadly, there is no way for uber-DPS players to nuke Breach like the CE. Actually had one run where 2 players bailed. We decided to stick it out and it took our 3 cruisers over the 40 minute timer to finish it. Wish the difficultly scaled like WoW raids when there's less players. Seems 1 player bails from Breach 1/3 of the time; making it take an extra 5 minutes to finish the darn thing. :bawling:

We've already made it quite clear that what you're suggesting is exactly what we're asking for. People still don't like the idea.
    nikeix wrote: »
    Do we actually know that you don't get the admiralty card account wide? The language on this event seems very similar to the Anniversary event and I wouldn't feel certain that any character after the first is going to get all the currency instead of just unlocking the bonus daily turn-in account wide.

At least they explained what comes after this time -- pretty much all I asked for after the kerfluffle with having thousands of anniversary tokens tied up in event projects that didn't actually do anything after the first character on my account finished.

We don't have any factual data related to this particular event, no. There is, however, a considerable amount of data from which the outcome can be extrapolated:

1. Every Crystalline Cataclysm event (CC was the first queue to get events like these) has rewarded its items as character unlocks. That's somewhere between three or five events.

2. Every Mirror Invasion event has also rewarded its items as character unlocks. That's another three events, I think - and the last of those happened after the 2015 summer event, so if Cryptic was planning to apply the same behavior to PvE events, they probably would have done so already.

• Options
    edited March 2016

We've already made it quite clear that what you're suggesting is exactly what we're asking for. People still don't like the idea.

it not a case of people not liking the idea, you would need to be some kind of fool not to actually want the shiny as an account unlock.

its more the case of seeing the reality of the situation and realising that cryptic just wont do this, whether you are only playing for the shiny or want the dilithium as well they want you to play on lots of characters and this is less likely to happen in a lot of cases if they make the shiny an account unlock.
    players have been asking for this for as long as i have been playing sto and they haven't done it yet so i cant see this changing any time soon if ever.

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Funny that the Gravimetric Doff, Mariah Kilara Marr, that creates aftershock Tykens Rifts, that was awarded as the 'Shiney' in the Crystalline Event of October 2013, is now available in some Doff Packs. You can purchase her on the Exchange for starting at 15 million EC.

Exclusivity, my posterior.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns