test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

One of the COOLEST ship designs Cryptic ever made...wasted =(

Comments

• fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    Call it a T6 Light Cruiser, restrict the use of Connie parts and voila.

and it's not like they haven't done it before...they weren't allowed to use JJs "Vengeance", so they created a ship that was heavily inspired by it and called it the "Avenger". You can clearly see the resemblance in name, role and appearance, which is about as far apart as the Excalibur from the Constitution.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Call it a T6 Light Cruiser, restrict the use of Connie parts and voila.

and it's not like they haven't done it before...they weren't allowed to use JJs "Vengeance", so they created a ship that was heavily inspired by it and called it the "Avenger". You can clearly see the resemblance in name, role and appearance, which is about as far apart as the Excalibur from the Constitution.

There is nothing Vengeance about the Avenger aside from the name.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • theillusivenmantheillusivenman Member Posts: 438 Arc User
    I never bought the jambalaya it's too old for endgame ship, so is B'Rel, K'T'inga, Ambassador, Excelsior, T'liss blabla, yet we do have them in game, and all of them are end game in some form or another (not all are T6 but all are T5 atleast), yes Excalibur is a newer design, yes it should be a T5 (atleast) ship in it's own right, yes the design is really good a cross of classic Fed design with newer shipbuilding breakthroughs, no sadly it will never be in game as a separate ship because the Devs tied it to Connie.

The reason why Connie will never get T5/T6 version is because it's too iconic, and they (CBS) want to keep it an undiscovered country of sorts.
    5980291nyfcc.png
    "Reality is a thing of the past."
    Proud supporter of equality for all human beings.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    artan42 wrote: »
    There is nothing Vengeance about the Avenger aside from the name.​​

Agreed completely, there is absolutely no way anyone can think the Avenger or Arbiter were, in any way, modeled after the Vengeance outside of the name.

If you want to point out an instance of a JJ Series ship being renamed and put into STO then look at the Tal'Shiar Adapted Battle Cruiser and it's 'similarities' to Nero's ship the Narada. That argument has merit, but comparing the Avenger and the Vengeance is like comparing the Defiant to a Runabout.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    Honestly, I think the design is ugly. (Though I never really like most of the starfleet ship designs.) It looks like if it entered atmosphere (this includes things like nebulae), drag forces would rip it apart.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • ihatepwe735ihatepwe735 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    This is a very strange argument here, becuase, to me, ALL the federation ships look pretty much "like a connie". Theres a reason my ship slots are full of D'Kyr, Herald, Atrox, any "alien" variant ship I can find at all...
    I do have a Intel Eclipse Cruiser that I purchased and as soon as I launched it I realized it was yet-another differently squashed variant of saucer, cigar body and nacelles.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    Back on topic. How come nobody ever makes as big a stink over the Miranda, or the Oberth? For those of you, that even at this point, still can't figure it out, here's the deal. The Sovereign class is the evolutionary, next step of the Starfleet cruiser, as detailed below.

Constitution

Constitution refit

Excelsior

Excelsior refit

Ambassador (traditionally regarded as the first of the "modern era" cruisers)

Galaxy (traditionally regarded as the most expensive of the Starfleet vessels, whatever that means)

Sovereign (designed specifically to combat the Borg threat)

Any conjectural starship beyond this point would most certainly NOT be a 300 year step backwards.

Imagine the U.S.S. Constitution (Old Ironsides) trying to remain effective on a battlefield of Aegis cruisers, Lassen destroyers, and super carriers. Sure, you could mount radar, a nuclear reactor, modern weapons, and modern living quarters on it, but why would you want to? Unless you build a completely new ship, from the ground up, It's just a waste of time, resources, and effort. In the case of the TOS Enterprise, you have a ship that has been enduring warp stresses and metal fatigue for 300 years.

I hope that I have presented a more thorough explanation to proponents of this argument, other than "Because CBS said so."

Try to think logically, as Spock would say.

That's a great argument, except for 1 tiny problem: T6 Excelsior, which torpedoes your entire line of reasoning about not going backwards. That said, I'm not asking for a T6 Constitution. I'm asking for a T6 Excalibur, which is a modern ship in STO's time period.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    If there was ANY year Cryptic and CBS could allow for a T6 Excalibur (or, gasp, the T6 Connie)... it would be this year.

While Cryptic swears the decision is "final," I don't buy that... given the right situation. Cryptic loves exclusivity these days, after all.

If it don't happen this year, I doubt it ever will.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
    edited February 2016
    mhall85 wrote: »
    If there was ANY year Cryptic and CBS could allow for a T6 Excalibur (or, gasp, the T6 Connie)... it would be this year.

While Cryptic swears the decision is "final," I don't buy that... given the right situation. Cryptic loves exclusivity these days, after all.

I have a pet theory, with no real basis, but here it goes: when STO launched, Cryptic begged and begged and begged whoever their contact with CBS is to let them do an end game connie. And they begged so much they pissed him off, and he told them NOT to ask again.

Like I said, I have no real basis for this. But it would explain why this is such a sore issue. And it would also explain why they might be afraid to ask about things like the Excalibur. It would also explain why Cryptic *hasn't* said that CBS said "no" to the connie variants, since under my theory they actually didn't.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    mhall85 wrote: »

I have a pet theory, with no real basis, but here it goes: when STO launched, Cryptic begged and begged and begged whoever their contact with CBS is to let them do an end game connie. And they begged so much they pissed him off, and he told them NOT to ask again.

Like I said, I have no real basis for this. But it would explain why this is such a sore issue. And it would also explain why they might be afraid to ask about things like the Excalibur.

Probably true. Things have changed so much since then. The system for ship distribution has changed, it's the 50th anniversary of The Original Series this year, there's a new show coming for CBS (that alone could alter their stance on a ton of stuff)... shoot, we're dealing with time travel for most of the year, in terms of storyline content.

And, to be clear, I'm not saying a T6 Connie/Excalibur would be released in the C-Store, necessarily. Hold a special 50th Anniversary event, and grind for a one-time-only T6 TOS-era ship. Such a move would be just as effective, if not more, than the Delta Recruit event... imagine the in-game excitement, and draw of new players.

Crazier things have happened!
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    I'm pretty sure it's simply a case of them seeing the TNG era as the "real Trek" and considering how much they've tried to distance themselves from TOS visually since the 80s I'd be surprised if it wasn't just this.

Which I can give them because, aside from the hairstyles and bulkiness of the Padds, 90s Trek designs seem pretty timeless to me. Just turn off the lights and and add a few pipes and any of the bridges would fit in with a 2016 SF show.
    <3
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Pointless? I'm pretty sure I used that ship for 5 minutes while I was leveling. So it wasn't pointless for 5 minutes. I rate this post as half true.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    Excelsiors fought in the Dominion War and were present for Voyager's return. How many Constitutions were?

Make the Excalibur, Vesper, and Exeter all Sovreign skins. Boom. Done.
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    Some of the great WW II naval movies were set on support ships - The Caine Mutiny (Destroyer Minesweeper), Mr. Roberts (Cargo Ship). The forgotten backbone (slight exaggeration).
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • sotsogmsotsogm Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    Honestly, I think the design is ugly. (Though I never really like most of the starfleet ship designs.) It looks like if it entered atmosphere (this includes things like nebulae), drag forces would rip it apart.

Tastes differ, but I did want to point out that this is exactly what a lot of old fans love about the Connie design: it was one of the first ships in pop SF that looked like it was built for deep space (see also: the Discovery from 2001: A Space Odyssey).

In fact, here's a line I love from an actual expert in sagging nacelles:
    The charm of the Enterprise design is that it instantly looks like it wouldn't well in gravity. It looks like something that needs to float in a weightless environment.

That's Dr. Margaret Weitekamp, who was heading up the Smithsonian's restoration efforts last year (in a great interview you can read here).

Also, I just had to be "that guy" and point out that a really, really dense interstellar nebula has a particle density of 10^4 particles per cubic centimeter, which is still practically nothing. Okay, I had to look it up. But, anyway, compare that to the density of Earth's atmosphere at sea level, which is 10^19 per cubic cm. So, no, there's no real atmospheric drag in a nebula.

But you're right that a Connie would need magical science--force fields and gravity projectors and stuff--not to break up in Earth atmos! Ain't it great! She was born in space and she'll spend her whole life there!

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    Tomorrow is Yesterday
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    Wasn't the Avenger suppose to be the T5/T5U/T6 version of the Connie? I wouldn't mind the Excalibur skin being made available for the Avenger.

pBPikPf.jpg
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    IMO, the Excalibur class is one of the coolest ship designs Cryptic has made to date:

smNs64F.jpg

So cool, in fact, that they made it the most prominent ship on the game's box art:

51Xy%2BrmotkL._AC_UL320_SR230,320_.jpg

Unfortunately, it is also one of the most useless ships in the game. Why? Because they decided to tie it to the Constitution class, and CBS said there can be no end game level constitution class ship. Well, regardless of how you feel about the CBS decision, I say it is time to stop wasting this awesome ship design on a low level ship.

Long story short:

Make a T6 Excalibur.

Lock out the Constitution parts to remain obedient to CBS.

Make money.

Yeah, I mean, that is pretty weird.

Always found it off that they haven't gotten around to making a high end ship that simply uses Excalibur and Exeter parts. Doesn't even need to be T6, could also be a T5 ship (and upgraded to T5-U, obviously).
    I imagine an endgame Cruiser/Light Cruiser would be pretty popular, obviously.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
    edited February 2016
    Back on topic. How come nobody ever makes as big a stink over the Miranda, or the Oberth? For those of you, that even at this point, still can't figure it out, here's the deal. The Sovereign class is the evolutionary, next step of the Starfleet cruiser, as detailed below.

Constitution

Constitution refit

Excelsior

Excelsior refit

Galaxy (traditionally regarded as the most expensive of the Starfleet vessels, whatever that means)

Any conjectural starship beyond this point would most certainly NOT be a 300 year step backwards.

Imagine the U.S.S. Constitution (Old Ironsides) trying to remain effective on a battlefield of Aegis cruisers, Lassen destroyers, and super carriers. Sure, you could mount radar, a nuclear reactor, modern weapons, and modern living quarters on it, but why would you want to? Unless you build a completely new ship, from the ground up, It's just a waste of time, resources, and effort. In the case of the TOS Enterprise, you have a ship that has been enduring warp stresses and metal fatigue for 300 years.

I hope that I have presented a more thorough explanation to proponents of this argument, other than "Because CBS said so."

That's a great argument, except for 1 tiny problem: T6 Excelsior, which torpedoes your entire line of reasoning about not going backwards. That said, I'm not asking for a T6 Constitution. I'm asking for a T6 Excalibur, which is a modern ship in STO's time period.

Doesn't torpedo anything. A t6 Excelsior is just as dumb as a t6 Constitution.

Cryptic obviously disagrees with you. And fortunately, Cryptic is the one I'm asking for a T6 Excalibur, not you. That being the case, their own precedent of a T6 Excelsior is more relevant to my request than your opinion that it doesn't make sense.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,266 Arc User
    I prefer an Annorax or the beauty of all time Jem'hadar attack ship. Then again...beauty is on the eye of the beholder. Some people trash is someone else's gold.

jemstrike2-e1425585759400.jpg​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • flyingshoeboxflyingshoebox Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I know I’d like a t6 Excalibur that could use the Exeter skin along with a new t6 version. It would be fun to see it as a destroy type ship like the nandi. Give it a good turn and let it mount DHC’s so you can jj it up.

I don’t think it will happen simple because it was made to mimic the constitution and while its technical not a Connie, it basically is a Connie.

Constitution

Constitution refit

Excelsior

Excelsior refit

Cryptic obviously disagrees with you. And fortunately, Cryptic is the one I'm asking for a T6 Excalibur, not you. That being the case, their own precedent of a T6 Excelsior is more relevant to my request than your opinion that it doesn't make sense.

No Ace, it seems it's not so fortunate for you, because (for whatever reason) Cryptic has chosen to deny your request. Still no t6 Constitution, Excalibur skin, or otherwise.

No they haven't. Cryptic said that CBS said no end game connie. Cryptic has *NOT* commented on the Excalibur or variants. If you think they have, then feel free to post a link.

That said, if Cryptic *does* deny my request, that's fine. But it won't be for your reason, because the fact that they made a T6 Excelsior already shows they do not agree with your logic about not going backwards.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,864 Arc User
    But what would it be...we don't need yet another Command Cruiser...perhaps Intel, but even then have several of those. She is small but in game her turn rate is pretty low...don't know if it would qualify to be Pilot.

There isn't much she can be that hasn't been done, right now.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
    lianthelia wrote: »
    But what would it be...we don't need yet another Command Cruiser...perhaps Intel, but even then have several of those. She is small but in game her turn rate is pretty low...don't know if it would qualify to be Pilot.

There isn't much she can be that hasn't been done, right now.

That's a great question. Whether it should be a brand new ship or simply a skin of an existing ship like the Avenger is worth discussing. Either way, it's safe to say they *are* going to be making more cruisers. There is no doubt about that.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited February 2016
    Regardless of what happens on this issue, I'd like to put this one thought out there, for the record:

*IF* CBS has in fact told Cryptic that they cannot make end game versions of the connie variants, such as the Excalibur, then Cryptic would have no reason to not simply say so, like they did about the actual connie itself. But all of their comments to date have *only* mentioned the connie itself. They have *never* said that CBS denied the variants or the Excalibur.

That being said, if a dev wants to confirm CBS will not allow the Excalibur, that's fine. I'm completely willing to accept that, if that is indeed the case.
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited February 2016

Constitution

Constitution refit

Excelsior

Excelsior refit

No Ace, it seems it's not so fortunate for you, because (for whatever reason) Cryptic has chosen to deny your request. Still no t6 Constitution, Excalibur skin, or otherwise.

No they haven't. Cryptic said that CBS said no end game connie. Cryptic has *NOT* commented on the Excalibur or variants. If you think they have, then feel free to post a link.

That said, if Cryptic *does* deny my request, that's fine. But it won't be for your reason, because the fact that they made a T6 Excelsior already shows they do not agree with your logic about not going backwards.

There's no link to post. The Excalibur is just a skin for the tier 2 cruiser, for which Cryptic has said there will be no tier 6 version of.

Wrong again. They *specifically* said the connie. They *never* said they cannot make an end game version of t2 cruisers. And they never said they could not make a T6 version of the Excalibur.

Matter of fact, why don't YOU post the link where Cryptic says it was CBS' decision?

No problem!
    Q: (thmichael) Are you going to implement the Ambassador Class at some point? And would it be possible to implement the Old Constitution Class for higher ranks?

Dstahl: Yes. The Ambassador class is coming in 2013. CBS is still pretty adamant about the Old Connie not being an end game ship, but you never know what can happen as time rolls by.

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1159287/frequently-created-threads-f-c-t

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    Regardless of what happens on this issue, I'd like to put this one thought out there, for the record:

*IF* CBS has in fact told Cryptic that they cannot make end game versions of the connie variants, such as the Excalibur, then Cryptic would have no reason to not simply say so, like they did about the actual connie itself. But all of their comments on the record have *only* mentioned the connie itself. They have *never* said that CBS denied the variants.

That being the case, if they(Cryptic) simply dismiss the question or shut down the discussion without telling us that CBS has denied the variants, then I submit that CBS has *not* done so, and someone at Cryptic is simply not allowing this to happen. Who and why are open to interpretation.

Maybe it's a conspiracy that stretches all the way to the White House, and beyond. Why don't you see what you can dig up, and get back to us?

I don't think there is any conspiracy. The people in charge at Cryptic/PW have their personal preferences like everyone else. Some people just don't like some ideas, and those ideas will never happen as long as they are in charge. And that's their right. Whether that is the case in this situation, I have no idea. But if CBS were the ones that said they couldn't make an end game Excalibur, they would have no reason to not simply say so.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • kylethetruekylethetrue Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    Who cares if they make a t6 constitution? I just don't understand some of these objections.
    "Thou shalt respect the weak and shalt constitute thyself defender of them."
    -3rd Commmandment of Chivalry
    FAWhard_zpsssqnai1l.jpg
    Who cares if they make a t6 constitution? I just don't understand some of these objections.

CBS does. And honest/unfortunately, it doesn't matter if we understand or not. Cryptic has to do what CBS says. But I'm not asking for a T6 Connie, I'm asking for a T6 Excalibur. To date, Cryptic has *never* said that CBS said they could not make a T6 Excalibur or any of the connie variants. They have *only* ever mentioned the connie specifically. So if a dev wants to confirm that CBS has told them they can't make any of the connie variants, including, the Excalibur, that's fine. But since that has never been stated, I'm simply making the request for the ship.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    samt1996 wrote: »
    It is a nice design but it is very close to a Connie and was obviously designed as such. I doubt your idea gets made sorry.

For the record, I doubt it too. But not for the reason you just mentioned. The Excalibur is a modern ship, according to STO's own in universe story. They released a short description of it prior to launch:

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Excalibur_class

The reason CBS said "no T4/5/6 connie" is because it would be silly to have a ship that old performing at end game levels. Since the Excalibur isn't old, that logic does not apply.

But again, yes, I also doubt this will actually happen. But no, your reason is not why. The real why is probably because someone influential simply doesn't want it to happen and has been blocking it.

Commissioned in 2391 by Starfleet, the design was an update of the iconic profile of the Constitution class with the Excalibur being the first of a new group of state of the art cruiser line that was intended to fill a variety of roles in the fleet.​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
This discussion has been closed.