test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Axanar draws lawsuit from Paramount and CBS

Comments

• marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    Someone was arguing that Peters paying himself or others a salary, or that building a sound stage for rental use, would be indicative of something unlawful. I point out it isn't. Even a non-profit organization can and will do things like that.

The only thing that needs to be worried about is whether they violated Star Trek copyright. That is really the only sticking point. If he had done the very same thing with his own, new franchise (or a licensed property), no one would have to bat an eye.

Admittedly, This is me speculating, but I don't think "no one would have bat an eye." True, Legally, he would be in less hot water, because obviously he wouldn't have violated copyright law.

But I think a lot of donors would still be mad. I am not saying other crowdfunding projects don't pay their people. I am sure they do, but most have something to show for it. Peters basically, promised people a movie. Paid himself for his "work" on the movie. Not to mention build a studio off of it, and their still isn't any concrete evidence he has done ANYTHING but get rich collecting donors money.
    I supported a crowdfunded a web series a while back, because I knew one of the actresses appearing in it, and I wanted to help contribute for her to potentially have a new project. As time went on, I came to the conclusion that the writer/director/producer was an TRIBBLE, and I began to feel very conflicted about supporting it... I wanted to support my friend, but I didn't want to be supporting him. It nearly didn't meet it's target, but a second kickstarter scraped enough, and the project went ahead. Yay for my friend, I was happy that she had a project to work on, and enjoyed doing so, but then cracks started appearing in the picture, such as the sound engineer mysteriously running off with the sound recordings, and necessitating re-recordings, but, I was still curious about the project, and keen to see my friend on screen again.

Then the release came, which my friend was keen to promote and let people know was coming...

But no, the producer had a trick up his sleeve... He was on,y releasing a trailer for the series (made from footage he had only been able to achieve via filming the entire series) and would only unlock Episode I, after the trailer had received 5000 views... And this would repeat for each episode... 5000 new views, or no new episodes...

To say I was pissed off is an understatement... This TRIBBLE had traded on the good will of the cast's friends and fans to get the money to essentially make a vanity project, which he was essentially trying to keep to himself... If it got released, so be it, either way, he had the series on his showreel... Eventually, enough views were reached, and episodes were unlocked, but I know my friend wasn't really happy with the situation of the 5000, and called it quite silly (or something similarly inoffensive, but equally disapproving) and the only time she has discussed or promoted it since its release, was once ever episode was available to the public, and even that was a very dry, factual post along the lines of "All episodes are now available..." No more, no less, certainly no excitement or pride in a project undertaken or a desire to discuss it further...

Not all crowdfunding is like this, or the Axanar scenario, but it is a danger, and one which (as my tale of woe illustrates) does happen when producers really have very little accountability to their funders...

• voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    Someone was arguing that Peters paying himself or others a salary, or that building a sound stage for rental use, would be indicative of something unlawful. I point out it isn't. Even a non-profit organization can and will do things like that.

The only thing that needs to be worried about is whether they violated Star Trek copyright. That is really the only sticking point. If he had done the very same thing with his own, new franchise (or a licensed property), no one would have to bat an eye.

Admittedly, This is me speculating, but I don't think "no one would have bat an eye." True, Legally, he would be in less hot water, because obviously he wouldn't have violated copyright law.

But I think a lot of donors would still be mad. I am not saying other crowdfunding projects don't pay their people. I am sure they do, but most have something to show for it. Peters basically, promised people a movie. Paid himself for his "work" on the movie. Not to mention build a studio off of it, and their still isn't any concrete evidence he has done ANYTHING but get rich collecting donors money.
    I supported a crowdfunded a web series a while back, because I knew one of the actresses appearing in it, and I wanted to help contribute for her to potentially have a new project. As time went on, I came to the conclusion that the writer/director/producer was an TRIBBLE, and I began to feel very conflicted about supporting it... I wanted to support my friend, but I didn't want to be supporting him. It nearly didn't meet it's target, but a second kickstarter scraped enough, and the project went ahead. Yay for my friend, I was happy that she had a project to work on, and enjoyed doing so, but then cracks started appearing in the picture, such as the sound engineer mysteriously running off with the sound recordings, and necessitating re-recordings, but, I was still curious about the project, and keen to see my friend on screen again.

Then the release came, which my friend was keen to promote and let people know was coming...

But no, the producer had a trick up his sleeve... He was on,y releasing a trailer for the series (made from footage he had only been able to achieve via filming the entire series) and would only unlock Episode I, after the trailer had received 5000 views... And this would repeat for each episode... 5000 new views, or no new episodes...

To say I was pissed off is an understatement... This TRIBBLE had traded on the good will of the cast's friends and fans to get the money to essentially make a vanity project, which he was essentially trying to keep to himself... If it got released, so be it, either way, he had the series on his showreel... Eventually, enough views were reached, and episodes were unlocked, but I know my friend wasn't really happy with the situation of the 5000, and called it quite silly (or something similarly inoffensive, but equally disapproving) and the only time she has discussed or promoted it since its release, was once ever episode was available to the public, and even that was a very dry, factual post along the lines of "All episodes are now available..." No more, no less, certainly no excitement or pride in a project undertaken or a desire to discuss it further...

Not all crowdfunding is like this, or the Axanar scenario, but it is a danger, and one which (as my tale of woe illustrates) does happen when producers really have very little accountability to their funders...

Which proves my point. Alec Peters used crowdfunding on bad faith and people are pissed about it. The fact that he did it in such a way as to also bring the ire of CBS/Paramount, just shows he is either an idiot or a raging egotistical megalomaniac.

Which proves my point. Alec Peters used crowdfunding on bad faith and people are pissed about it. The fact that he did it in such a way as to also bring the ire of CBS/Paramount, just shows he is either an idiot or a raging egotistical megalomaniac.
    Yup... I would have been inclined to say the former, but given his handling of the situation since this hit litigation, I'm suspecting the latter... To quote Trading Places... "A very sordid business..."
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    mhall85 wrote: »
    Just read this on AxaMonitor... wow...

http://blueserif.com/doku/doku.php?id=endgame

Great commentary piece by Lukas Kendall, producer and former colleague of Robert Meyer Burnett. Worth a read.
    Awesome piece, thanks for sharing B) I especially liked the observation that the JJ Abrams films were dogshit :D

Well, to be fair, the observation was that Peters was claiming the Abrams films were dogshit, and such comments hurt his position. And I agree.

I also don't think the Abrams films are dogshit, but that's for another discussion... :smile:

I just found the piece super interesting, because of the observations about Peters' "cult of personality," and the idea that he attempted/is attempting a sort of "hostile takeover" of Trek. Also, the idea of Peters getting a "lifetime ban" from Trek, to the level of Pete Rose, is highly intriguing.

Man, this story will make for a fascinating documentary... not made by Peters, of course. :tongue:
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
    edited April 2016
    Just read this on AxaMonitor... wow...

http://blueserif.com/doku/doku.php?id=endgame

Great commentary piece by Lukas Kendall, producer and former colleague of Robert Meyer Burnett. Worth a read.
    Awesome piece, thanks for sharing B) I especially liked the observation that the JJ Abrams films were dogshit :D

Well, to be fair, the observation was that Peters was claiming the Abrams films were dogshit, and such comments hurt his position. And I agree.

I also don't think the Abrams films are dogshit, but that's for another discussion...
    :smile:

I just found the piece super interesting, because of the observations about Peters' "cult of personality," and the idea that he attempted/is attempting a sort of "hostile takeover" of Trek. Also, the idea of Peters getting a "lifetime ban" from Trek, to the level of Pete Rose, is highly intriguing.

Man, this story will make for a fascinating documentary... not made by Peters, of course. :tongue:
    I know, but it still made me chuckle B) And absolutely, I thought the idea of the lifetime ban was very interesting. Arguably, he could still go to a convention and sell autographs, just not on photos where he's dressed as Garth, and it also raises fhe question of if any convention organizers would actually invite him... I know actors can't just roll up with a table, nor book to appear, in the same way someone can pay for a stall at a mind/body/spirit fayre, they have to be invited, and after all this, I can't see that happening... B)
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    If MR Peters gets invited anywhere it will be some nerds birthday as guest of honor i seriously doubt anyone will touch hi with a 500 lightyear barge pole
    JtaDmwW.png
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    If MR Peters gets invited anywhere it will be some nerds birthday as guest of honor i seriously doubt anyone will touch hi with a 500 lightyear barge pole

He could literally start a cult with the people who are defending him at this point. That is how delusional and dedicated they are. They would probably do anything he says.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    jam3s1701 wrote: »

He could literally start a cult with the people who are defending him at this point. That is how delusional and dedicated they are. They would probably do anything he says.

Oh I've been saying since day one its like the Church of Axanar
    JtaDmwW.png
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    And today C/P filed an actual response to Axanar's second motion to dismiss the case. It appears they're taking the gloves off and going on the offensive with regard to soundly picking apart the Axanar legal team's contention that effectively no element of Star Trek is copyrightable (which was a specious and ridiculous argument in the first place):

http://1701news.com/node/1130/cbs-paramount-say-axanar-motion-misguided-misleading.html
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • apulseapulse Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    This is getting out of hand.
    21ajpqt.png
    If I got spanked that hard, I wouldn't sit down for a week :D
    Looks like we have our first non-Axanar casualty:

http://1701news.com/node/1151/cbs-reportedly-shuts-down-second-fan-film.html

Shame, too, since Kraft was basically a one-man production crew. Interesting, too, that he blames Peters and Axanar for this.
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,301 Arc User

Shame, too, since Kraft was basically a one-man production crew. Interesting, too, that he blames Peters and Axanar for this.

I thought this might happen. A lot of people in this thread said it would not; but it looks like lines are being drawn in the sand.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

Other fan productions would be wise to wait until after the Axanar issue is over, as CBS really has no choice but to shut them all down for now or risk undermining the Axanar suit.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,301 Arc User

Other fan productions would be wise to wait until after the Axanar issue is over, as CBS really has no choice but to shut them all down for now or risk undermining the Axanar suit.

It would be funny if it was no so sad. Axanar has single handedly put in motion a series of events that have the potential to destroy all of the good work volunteered by fan productions. And all because they refuse to back down on making a profit from something that does not belong to them.

I can only hope CBS/Paramount (when they win) put the whole issue aside and allow fan productions to continue.
    equinox976 wrote: »

I thought this might happen. A lot of people in this thread said it would not; but it looks like lines are being drawn in the sand.
    The thing the article also points out (which I'd already guessed from facebook) is that people aren't donating to Star Trek Continues... I hope some folks have 'some stern words' with Alec Peters if he ever shows his face at a convention again... >_<

equinox976 wrote: »

It would be funny if it was no so sad. Axanar has single handedly put in motion a series of events that have the potential to destroy all of the good work volunteered by fan productions. And all because they refuse to back down on making a profit from something that does not belong to them.

I can only hope CBS/Paramount (when they win) put the whole issue aside and allow fan productions to continue.

This is really the long and short of it. Granted it looks like this production was also looking for more funds then most fan-films (they mentions $250,000 rather then the usuall 10,000 to 60,000) but it looks like they were largely in compliance with what fan-films were suppose to do.

I like that Kraft made it clear this appears to be a step that CBS/Paramount did not want to take. But with Axanar playing hardball, the writing was on the wall. I am surprised that the shutting down of all fan-films (and lets be honest, that is what is going on) happened so quickly, but not surprised it is happening. CBS/Paramount needs to protect their brand and it was clearly from Axanar's actions, that a hard line was going to have to be drawn.

I think this is one of the main reasons people were so mad at Alec Peters, even if they were not directly involved in what I still feel was a fraudulent action. In his greed, Peters put every Star Trek fan film at risk. This is the inevitable result.
    I think this is one of the main reasons people were so mad at Alec Peters, even if they were not directly involved in what I still feel was a fraudulent action. In his greed, Peters put every Star Trek fan film at risk. This is the inevitable result.

Well said.

It's sad, too, because I think that Prelude-era Peters was pretty genuine in his desire, but his tenor and motives slowly changed as the campaign brought in more money, and it blew up in his face. Now, he's full of s**t, in over his head, and ruined the party for everyone.
    WHOA! Check this out, too:

http://blueserif.com/doku/doku.php?id=does#blacklisting

Peters' actions are really starting to catch up with people... and I hate to bring this up, but there is a small connection between STO and Axanar, and it would break my heart if this happens to... yeah. :worried:
    edited April 2016

Peters' actions are really starting to catch up with people... and I hate to bring this up, but there is a small connection between STO and Axanar, and it would break my heart if this happens to... yeah. :worried:
    That really is sad, but I wouldn't worry about STO, because STO is officially licensed...
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

That really is sad, but I wouldn't worry about STO, because STO is officially licensed...

I think he was implying that someone involved with STO has some link with Axanar, and he doesn't want to see that person blacklisted too.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png

I think he was implying that someone involved with STO has some link with Axanar, and he doesn't want to see that person blacklisted too.
    Ahhh...

Yep.

I don't want to ring any unnecessary alarm bells, but it ain't hard to figure out who I'm talking about.

I think people need to distance themselves as far away as they can from Axanar.
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    I suspect this may just be a temporary embargo (from Kraft's phrasing) until the lawsuit is over. This seems to be CBS trying to keep Axanar from using the usual fan-film policy against the plaintiffs by advising fans to not initiate any projects for now. Kraft said he'd been advised not to start 'Federation Rising' "at this time". That suggests this might just be temporary until after the lawsuit. Bare in mind, Star Trek: Continues is still crowdfunding.

In any case, I think CBS are going to be a bit tougher on fan film rules from now on.

It's a shame: I just watched Horizon the other day - it was a great film, almost professional in quality.
    ryan218 wrote: »
    I suspect this may just be a temporary embargo (from Kraft's phrasing) until the lawsuit is over. This seems to be CBS trying to keep Axanar from using the usual fan-film policy against the plaintiffs by advising fans to not initiate any projects for now. Kraft said he'd been advised not to start 'Federation Rising' "at this time". That suggests this might just be temporary until after the lawsuit. Bare in mind, Star Trek: Continues is still crowdfunding.

In any case, I think CBS are going to be a bit tougher on fan film rules from now on.

It's a shame: I just watched Horizon the other day - it was a great film, almost professional in quality.

The problem is, Even if they can go back to lifting the embargo (Time and the court case will tell) after the case is over That could be a long time. In that time many fan films could get caught in the crossfire. Even after that, the fear of retaliation from CBS/Paramount might keep fan-film makers from starting up projects for fear of league action.

STC has been hit hard in terms of support... The differences between Axanar and STC, is that Vic Mignogna not only does not draw a salary from raised funds, but has put $150'000 of his own money into it, and STC doesn't sell merch for profit... STC is crowdfunding done right, professional quality releases, and a product which actually captures the spirit of TOS. Axanar, is Alec Peter's ego-driven cash-cow which he used to build a studio... To compare the two in any way whatsoever, really is quite unfair...

• nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    The problem is, Even if they can go back to lifting the embargo (Time and the court case will tell) after the case is over That could be a long time. In that time many fan films could get caught in the crossfire. Even after that, the fear of retaliation from CBS/Paramount might keep fan-film makers from starting up projects for fear of league action.

Would it really be so terrible if everybody got the message that when you want to play with somebody else's toys you might want to ASK THEM FIRST? CBS is clearly able and willing to not only give the nod, but to then stand behind and support people who ask permission beforehand instead of begging forgiveness after the fact.

STC has been hit hard in terms of support... The differences between Axanar and STC, is that Vic Mignogna not only does not draw a salary from raised funds, but has put $150'000 of his own money into it, and STC doesn't sell merch for profit... STC is crowdfunding done right, professional quality releases, and a product which actually captures the spirit of TOS. Axanar, is Alec Peter's ego-driven cash-cow which he used to build a studio... To compare the two in any way whatsoever, really is quite unfair...

STC is also 501-C.
    nikeix wrote: »

Would it really be so terrible if everybody got the message that when you want to play with somebody else's toys you might want to ASK THEM FIRST? CBS is clearly able and willing to not only give the nod, but to then stand behind and support people who ask permission beforehand instead of begging forgiveness after the fact.

It really depends on how this all plays out. Fan films have been part of Star Trek for a while. Most know the line they can and can't cross and stay within the bounds of such. But if CBS/Paramount has to start playing hardball to take on Axanar, those films could be in jeopardy.

Technically, there is no such thing as a "legal" fan-film. Any thing that isn't Licensed by CBS/Parmount is technically against the law and subject to legal action. It remains a grey area only because CBS has set some unofficial guidelines as to what they will or will not prosecute. But legally, if its not licensed by CBS/Paramount it is not exempted from legal action.

So CBS could be forced to more rigorously defend the Star Trek brand and shut down fan films they would otherwise leave alone.

STC is also 501-C.
    Precisely B)

This discussion has been closed.